dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-07 19:50:18: Years ago, you might recall that Canadian cable operator Cogeco started charging users overages, though they've historically had a very hard time tracking consumer usage correctly. ..

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

cost

U get what u pay for

I know, I know u want google fiber for 70 dollars for 1 gb unlimited, so??? I want a fully loaded triple play for 1 dollar, it aint happening either

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

I pay for 75/35mbit internet with FiOS but their peering leaves a lot to be desired and their cross-country routes wholly within the Verizon network leave a lot to be desired as well. Do you think if I paid for 150mbit that latency and packet loss would be reduced by half?

Thanks for your hyperbole, by the way.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina

At Least They Offer It...

Regardless of how we all judge the value, at least the offer it. If you read the Comcast TOS for areas where it's testing metering, you can get more speed but there's no way to huy a bigger chunk of monthly data. Once you exceed the max, they charge a set price for each extra chunk of data....period...

Barry
join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON

Barry

If only they had some competition

Is unlimited included free of charge for Quebec users?

catchingup
@135.23.225.x

catchingup to fiosultimate

Anon

to fiosultimate

Re: cost

said by fiosultimate:

U get what u pay for

I know, I know u want google fiber for 70 dollars for 1 gb unlimited, so??? I want a fully loaded triple play for 1 dollar, it aint happening either

Except you don't here. What Cogeco customers pay for regular service already pays for non capped service. The new unlimited tiers are highway robbery, but this is typical of Cogeco.

Kuro
@68.53.21.x

Kuro to rradina

Anon

to rradina

Re: At Least They Offer It...

There is a way to buy out of a Comcast datacap, buy business class. Only problem with this is its expensive,slower and comes with a few years long contract. Example in my area for $60 you can get capped 50/5 (not sure on the upload) on month to month or you can pay $70 for 15/2, uncapped and a 3 year agreement with a steep cancellation fee.

Qcuser
@75.152.37.x

Qcuser to Barry

Anon

to Barry

Re: If only they had some competition

On telus quebec area where telus install ftth ! No charge ! Try 453 for street door and g5l 1k2 you see ultimate unlimited 120 @ 74,99

Ultimate unlimited 55 @ 44.99 for 6 month !
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to rradina

to rradina

You can use Comcast Business Class to get around that. It's slower for the money, but it *is* unlimited.
theborgs
join:2006-01-25
Saint-Hyacinthe, QC

theborgs to Barry

to Barry

Re: If only they had some competition

not in all cities; they only offer it free in territories where Telus is their competitor.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to rradina

to rradina

Yep. You could rack up a bill with over $10,000 under Comcap's disgusting caps-and-overage fees plan on their 100 Mbps tier.

I'll take a +$40 monthly bill increase over a $10,000 monthly bill increase!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Before we rag on Cogeco too much...

For Ontario at least, the tiers are $30 more expensive than usage-limited versions. And unlimited 55/10 is $9 more expensive than limited (425GB) 120/10 (same upload speed so the additional download speed isn't much of a draw IMO).

Yes, you have to figure out your usage is, but the math goes something like this:

= 290 GB/mo: Ultimate 55 - limited
290-430 GB/mo: Ultimate 120 - limited
431+ GB/mo: Ultimate 55 - unlimited

Maybe others will disagree, but there's no good reason to spend the extra 21 CAD on the Ultimate 120 unlimited tier, and Cogeco probably thinks the same thing, hence the absurd pricing when you don't bundle.

Of course, the above math only work out because Cogeco's overage rates are very steep...here's what they'd look like if you had $10/50GB like some US providers (Comcast included) do:

= 375 GB/mo: Ultimate 55 - limited
375-475 GB/mo: Ultimate 120 - limited, assuming 65 Mbps of speed is worth $1/mo
476+ GB/mo: Ultimate 55 - limited

Anyway, what do other Canadian providers charge as a premium for unlimited access? Teksavvy doesn't count, nor does Electronicbox et al, because as competitive providers they're going to be a lot more reasonably by default.

fiosultimate
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to norm

to norm

Reality has a way to slap u back into the real world
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Kuro

to Kuro

While that's a good point and the price is arguably decent, it still seems insane. Even at that speed, 24x7 use chews through ~6.75GB/hour, ~162GB/day and ~4.8TB/month. Why does a slower speed and $30/more per month allow ~20 times the data consumption?
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Before we rag on Cogeco too much...

said by iansltx:

Anyway, what do other Canadian providers charge as a premium for unlimited access? Teksavvy doesn't count, nor does Electronicbox et al, because as competitive providers they're going to be a lot more reasonably by default.

In Ontario anyways, Bell will offer you unlimited for an extra $30 if all you have with them is internet, there are discounts if you bundle, but I have VOIP and can do OTA TV where I live so the $30 is a small price to pay to not have to worry about hitting a ceiling in my streaming needs.

Now if only Bell would do something about the $^%%'ing Sagecom modem/router combo they stick people with. Calling it a "POS" is insulting... to actual POS.

NefCanuck

Cal
join:2014-04-23

1 edit

Cal to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

said by fiosultimate:

U get what u pay for

If you lived in Canada you would understand that isn't true everywhere....especially in Que. Up north here some of the big companies have a huge monopoly and you pay what they decide you should pay for...

For example people in Telus territory get unlimited "FREE" yet some others have to pay full price... is that getting what you pay for? Also look at the pricing and packages they have and you will see why they do not offer unlimited to say Turbo 20 and other lower packages....trust me it is not for fear of misuse....

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

Kuro to rradina

Anon

to rradina

Most people in the business will argue that its users wanting more data and them not being able to keep up with upgrades to fulfill that. Any consumer looking at it with half a brain could come up with the conclusion that since Comcast owns cable,internet and content their interests are tied to keeping the old way of making money on two of these (cable and content) by sacrificing the third (internet) and maybe making more money on that.

Cal

Cal to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Before we rag on Cogeco too much...

Keep in mind the usage caps in Ont are different from the usage caps in Que. For example usage cap for ultimate 55 in Que = 225GB in ONT the usage cap for u55 is 275GB.

fiosultimate
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to Cal

to Cal

Well here in the US and up there in Canada,we live in something called free enterprise where the price of goods is determined by the free market, if u think its too expensive and u want to voice your opinion, dont buy it, if enough people do that, then they will change their price, but if their price model works, then tough, I want a ferrari but I think their price is too high, so I dont buy one, u cant always get what u want

Cal

2 recommendations

Cal

Your just being condescending and trying to make us believe we all want things for free which isn't the case. Maybe open your eyes and you might see free enterprise isn't always as "free" as you think it is. lol

Keep on drinking the kool aid though if it makes you feel more manly.