dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-11 18:16:26: Dump you shiniest, most precious and important thoughts into the comment area provided below. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Happy Weekend everyone!

I'm cleaning out my garage and getting new fangled electronic doors from Costco. Life's little things.....
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

Just another weekend ...

Some motorcycle riding, cemetery work, and cat baby sitting. And a DirecTV service call on Sunday am - no locals or HD on one box. The Roku is getting a workout.

Soup
@50.182.54.x

Soup

Anon

Take a deep breath and hold it

The CDC, guardian of deadly viruses, has made mistake after mistake and is shutting down their research labs for fear of killing off the US population.

»www.usatoday.com/story/n ··· 2531081/

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to DeLiver3

to DeLiver3

Re: Just another weekend ...

I read the Roku is now the most popular box for streaming. Sounds like a great weekend.
YukonHawk

YukonHawk to NY Tel

to NY Tel

Re: Happy Weekend everyone!

Cleaned out the garage last weekend and of course now I can't find anything!

Soup
@50.182.54.x

Soup

Anon

Where the new Microsoft CEO wants to take the company

In a letter to Microsoft employees, the new CEO lays out where he wants Microsoft to go:
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· dex.html

Selected pieces of letter:

We will create more natural human-computing interfaces that empower all individuals. We will develop and deploy secure platforms and infrastructure that enable all industries. And we will strike the right balance between using data to create intelligent, personal experiences, while maintaining security and privacy.

At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. We will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more.

We will reinvent productivity for people who are swimming in a growing sea of devices, apps, data and social networks. We will build the solutions that address the productivity needs of groups and entire organizations as well as individuals by putting them at the center of their computing experiences.

Apps will be designed as dual use with the intelligence to partition data between work and life and with the respect for each person's privacy choices. All of these apps will be explicitly engineered so anybody can find, try and then buy them in friction-free ways. They will be built for other ecosystems so as people move from device to device, so will their content and the richness of their services – it's one way we keep people, not devices, at the center.

Our cloud OS represents the largest opportunity given we are working from a position of strength. With Azure, we are one of very few cloud vendors that runs at hyper-scale. The combination of Azure and Windows Server makes us the only company with a public, private and hybrid cloud platform that can power modern business.

We will continue to innovate with higher level services like identity and directory services, rich data storage and analytics services, machine learning services, media services, web and mobile backend services, developer productivity services, and many more.

Windows will create a broad developer opportunity by enabling Universal Windows Applications to run across all device targets. Windows will evolve to include new input/output methods like speech, pen and gesture and ultimately power more personal computing experiences.

In order to deliver the experiences our customers need for the mobile-first and cloud-first world, we will modernize our engineering processes to be customer-obsessed, data-driven, speed-oriented and quality-focused. We will be more effective in predicting and understanding what our customers need and more nimble in adjusting to information we get from the market. We will streamline the engineering process and reduce the amount of time and energy it takes to get things done.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Duramax08

Premium Member

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat

707 HP. Yeah, it gots a Hemi.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· re=share
Bachinator
Premium Member
join:2014-01-25

Bachinator

Premium Member

Finally moved up to a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem

Not by choice. Lightning struck very close to my house during severe storms Sunday overnight and that was all she wrote for the old cable modem. The router got toasted as well. Was checking the weather maps on an Android tablet a few minutes before the lightning strike and all was fine. When I checked around the house 10 minutes later discovered the problem.

Circuit breaker for the garbage disposal tripped, plus two GFCI outlets tripped. But all the cable TV boxes, PCs, and other electronic equipment are fine. One battery operated digital alarm clock had advanced itself 2 hours.

Comcast gave me a Cisco DPC3008. It was running a bit hot so I stood it up on end. All 8 downstream channels and 3 of 4 upstream channel synced up with good signals.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to Soup

to Soup

Re: Where the new Microsoft CEO wants to take the company

Mobile-first and Cloud-first? Sounds like they're building a cloud-only OS and our systems will just be dumb terminals.

Looks like the mainframe days are returning.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Just in case

I'm going to get these just in case I have to fix what I want. (Hopefully I'm will not need to) »www.amazon.com/40-Gauge- ··· NA48MY5M »www.amazon.com/Oatey-308 ··· W95E3C9F
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

wont surprise me if that happens, If MS does not do it first Apple will and secure the patents. Both firms want ways to lock people deeper into their respective platforms and "the cloud" is the best way to do that. Force people to keep as much of their lives on your cloud as possible and switching away becomes hard.

Horrible for the consumer but great for the profit margins when they can sell you access to your own devices for a monthly fee. Imagine people paying for access to their computer OS like its an MMORPG.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

FCC passes WiFi bill

»arstechnica.com/business ··· braries/

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Day 13 - STILL can't login to Comcast

Annoyed, annoyed, annoyed: last able to access Comcast's My Account on 6/28. YES, I have a trouble ticket.

I keep dreaming of logging in. I reckon I'm not dreaming big enough. :-(
FureverFurry

FureverFurry to Bachinator

Premium Member

to Bachinator

Re: Finally moved up to a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem

You're very fortunate. A few years ago, major storm came through and EVERYTHING connected to Comcast coax got fried: 3-month old TV, cable modem, STBs and best of all -- a 6 month old PC. Comcast had to pay. Unfortunately, some circuitry on my furnace got fried -- kaching.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Finally home !

After a long flight to France... a train ride to Germany... and the fact that I realized that closing out a business is harder then running it... Im realizing, Im in for a lot of work at the new company...

But some how I actually enjoy it ! Next stop CEO of a public company !

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Anti Marijuana & Pro Legalization

Recap: I am anti marijuana & pro legalization

I've thought about recreational pot use for years. I've concluded I don't like it.
I see modern cannabis neutering ambition and dulling down the sharpest part of people.
On balance, I don't think it's good for society.

Yet, I am pro legalization.

(stepping back to explain)
Our modern justice system enacts revenge for society, by abusing the accused as much as law and economics will allow.
Punishment begins before trial and continues long after time is served.

We've had generations to study (and live with) the results of putting pot users through the justice system.

Does it clearly benefit society? I've seen no unbiased evidence of that.
Does it benefit the pot user? I can't see how. The damage done by pot isn't nearly as bad as the damage done by our institutionalized abuse.

So why is pot still illegal?
Because pot is very profitable for Govs who control pot laws - especially LEO, Courts and Prisons who's budgets inflate whenever more crime is created.

So why is this OK with us?

Epilogue:
Is something bad for society? Should it be illegal? - Those are separate questions that ought to be settled separately.
When we conflate those 2 issues, we wind up with bad law that harms society more than it helps.

all done

scottymead
join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

scottymead to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk

If only mine would stay connected to my WiFi, it keeps disconnecting.

Soup
@50.182.54.x

Soup to Noah Vail

Anon

to Noah Vail

Re: Anti Marijuana & Pro Legalization

Pro legalization too, except for 1 thing: driving under the influence. Get caught driving high, then lose license to drive and lose the car you are driving.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to scottymead

to scottymead

Is there a chance you could hard wire it or is placed in a spot you couldn't get an ethernet plug to it?

scottymead
join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

scottymead

Nope its only WiFi, I wish it had a eithernet port, my problems would be resolved. I have already contacted RoKu about it but beings there is so much WiFi traffic where I live (I live in an apartment complex) and there is a good 30 WiFi connections here. The fix was to change the wireless channel, but I have tried every different channel and same thing, will connect but disconnect a couple minutes later then you have to completely unplug the power and restart it for it to reconnect.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

world cup soccar final

i'm going with a group to see germany vs argentina in a german beer hall on sunday.
»bierhausnyc.com/gallery/
it should be interesting, but i'll probably wear ear plugs, those fans can get too loud.

Plus One
@50.182.54.x

Plus One

Anon

said by Packeteers:

i'm going with a group to see germany vs argentina in a german beer hall on sunday.
»bierhausnyc.com/gallery/
it should be interesting, but i'll probably wear ear plugs, those fans can get too loud.

Philadelphia Eagles football fans are derided as being crazy disruptive fans. But they are a bunch of pansies compared to international soccer fans, who are truly psychotic and often violent.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

my Dad's from Germany, so it will be fun to see (and smell) what my social life could have been like had it not been for WW2...

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

YouTube to launch subscription music service

»www.foxnews.com/tech/201 ··· service/

I think this is already going into affect because I can't watch atleast 50% of youtube, nearly every video i load up says there was an error and i've cleaned my cache/history for this browser, even ran the flush dns thing three times and still nothing so this sucks.

Thoughts/rants?
Paul in WA
join:2010-09-11
Centralia, WA

Paul in WA to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

Isn't that what Chromebooks are? In a related note, for the past few days I have been playing with various OS's in my desktop, and it struck me just how much I already have on the cloud and how little residing on my HHD. I can take my computer, do a fresh install and when it boots up, whether I have gone from Linux Mint to Windows or to Ubuntu within a couple of minutes I have everything I am used to, including all my bookmarked places and files thanks to synched browsers and cloud file storage and streaming music and video subscriptions instead of my own private media collections.
adowns
join:2002-11-23
Derby, KS

adowns to scottymead

to scottymead

I had a similar issue, but I switched as much as I could over to 5Ghz. My speeds are awesome and I'm the only one using it in my area. There are 25 2.4Ghz in my area and 1 (mine) 5Ghz
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn

My Crazy Uncle

Says he can cook a hot dog using two forks and an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off.

He says he sticks the forks into each end of the hot dog, attaches the wires from the extension cord to each fork, and plugs it in.

It sounds like it might work, but is he, like usual, feeding me another line of BS?

Plus One
@50.182.54.x

Plus One

Anon

said by Timmn:

Says he can cook a hot dog using two forks and an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off.

He says he sticks the forks into each end of the hot dog, attaches the wires from the extension cord to each fork, and plugs it in.

It sounds like it might work, but is he, like usual, feeding me another line of BS?

with metal forks, it should work. But hasn't he heard of microwave ovens.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to Soup

Premium Member

to Soup

Re: Take a deep breath and hold it

They can put all the safety measures they want in place,won't do any good,because the one factor that will never change is,"tis human to error".
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to Soup

to Soup

Re: Anti Marijuana & Pro Legalization

People driving high are just looking for a place to eat. Driving high you just forget where your going you don't forget how to drive.Can you tell me where i'm going.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next