spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-14 18:25:59: [user=norm] writes in to note that Netflix has offered their latest streaming performance rankings for broadband ISPs. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

uberjon

join:2010-02-10
Kane, PA

1 recommendation

irony

well to be fair.. the direct interconnect deal made the transit partner, verizon... so yeah they did pick a poor partner. :P

dianac
Premium
join:2014-06-13
Demarest, NJ

We are close to cancelling Netflix

During the day we can get SuperHD streams on Netflix with no problem. But in the evening we often struggle to get to 480SD!! We sometimes sit at 240 and 388 for long periods. It has made Netflix unusable.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Peering

The Peering deal most likely isnt even near being completed. What Netflix wants to do is have their cake and eat it too without stating how long it takes to actually build the interconnect or anything else. It's just not a simple fiber splice as this site wants everyone to believe. And since when is Netflix so honest with their information? They're the same ones that state that the deals they're busy signing is bad but yet still sign them anyway????

puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

Clear(wire)

Wow, U-verse and FIOS aren't beating Clear by much in these rankings. and Verizon/AT&T DSL is ranked BELOW Clear! Considering how bad Clear's service generally is, that should be pretty darned embarrassing!

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

4 recommendations

reply to dianac

Re: We are close to cancelling Netflix

While you're at it, downgrade your Verizon internet package to a speed they can provide.

nothing00

Centereach, NY
reply to ITGeeks

Re: Peering

The idea that people's opinions are equal is currently popular (because it serves some interests) but not everyone's opinion has equal weight. Netflix's statements are consistent with other company's statements (even Verizon's) and observable behavior.

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Uverse

I don't understand this article, I'm on U verse internet and have never had a AT&T connect issue with Netflix and look at the state of the graph, granted I only watch one or two movies a week, but one would have thought after a couple of years any issue would have raised it's head by now, you think? Just asking.

Perhaps AT&T likes this area?

Cheers

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to nothing00

said by nothing00:

While you're at it, downgrade your Verizon internet package to a speed they can provide.

Downgrade Internet Tier only because of Netflix? lol.

nothing00

Centereach, NY
What are you using the speed for? Faster email?

Flyonthewall

@206.248.154.x

How many have good connection?

I'm sure some of the AT&T customer have solid connections with no problems, likely in areas they wish to keep. I wonder how many of their customers that are also experiencing Netflix issues are in areas they'd rather they just drop and walk away from, and Netflix is just another tool to get people to cancel and move to cable internet in those areas, like we've been hearing about.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Glad I use a CLEC for DSL

Netflix has been fine for us on our 6Mbps DSL connection. But all the hoopla from large ISP peering/CDN arguments got me curious. Ran across this wired article and watched the Netflix test video, got a constant 3Mbps so I'm pretty happy. Not too shabby for a lowly DSL connection out in the boonies of NH.

»www.wired.com/2014/06/netflix-st···ng-test/

/tom

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

1 recommendation

Streaming Performance

As Streaming Video becomes more popular, poor performance will be a big factor in deciding which ISP to pick. Holding a steady stream from Server to End User will have to be explored on how to achieve the best results. I think the old way of burst of speeds from ISP's will no longer work. I would like to hear from Cablevision subscribers and find out if in fact they have no problems viewing HD Streams from Netflix.

akfullfo

join:2000-02-10
Dallas, TX
reply to puck0114

Re: Clear(wire)

Also embarrassing - FiOS and U-verse are below the worst providers for Canada, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Nederland, and the one provider listed for Uruguay. They only just sneak by as faster than the slowest Columbian providers.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to nothing00

Click for full size
said by nothing00:

What are you using the speed for? Faster email?

Well 11.00 MB/s versus 7.1 MB/s makes difference in downloading for me and the 10+ devices I have. Oh and also going back to 50/25 is -0$ for me and going to 75/35 is +0$. So yea.

So now ya dig why I have 75/35 over 50/25 ?
that is becuase of that 0$ difference

said by wiggie116:

I agree completely, why do need that much speed when you can't use where most people want to. I just signed up for 50/5 with TWC. Having the same issue with Netflix as my 7mbps DSL line through VZ. Fortunately I'm not in a contract with TWC so I'm dumping it after this month. I will save 10 bucks a month. I don't need to send email at 56.75 Mbps anyways works fine with 7.

Meant to post this on the main topic....

Look at my attachement.

wiggie116
Premium
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nothing00
I agree completely, why do need that much speed when you can't use where most people want to. I just signed up for 50/5 with TWC. Having the same issue with Netflix as my 7mbps DSL line through VZ. Fortunately I'm not in a contract with TWC so I'm dumping it after this month. I will save 10 bucks a month. I don't need to send email at 56.75 Mbps anyways works fine with 7.

Meant to post this on the main topic....

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

1 recommendation

reply to puck0114

Even worse Verizon is BELOW HUGESNET! WOW!

wiggie116
Premium
Pittsfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Agreed

I agree completely nothing00, why do need that much speed when you can't use it where most people want to. I just signed up for 50/5 with TWC. Having the same issue with Netflix as my 7mbps DSL line through VZ. Fortunately I'm not in a contract with TWC so I'm dumping it after this month. I will save 10 bucks a month. I don't need to send email at 56.75 Mbps anyways, 7Mbps works fine for me.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to tschmidt

More leech lies form Netflix.

said by tschmidt:

Ran across this wired article and watched the Netflix test video, got a constant 3Mbps so I'm pretty happy..

»www.wired.com/2014/06/netflix-st···ng-test/

I have Verizon DSL; I watched a clip and what does average download have to do with anything.

When the video started it ran at 11 Mbps and when it was buffered it went to zero. It ran perfectly BTW.
DU Meter Stopwatch - #1
Start time 7/14/2014 7:35:18 PM
Stop time 7/14/2014 7:37:48 PM
Elapsed time 2 min 30.3 sec
Incoming Outgoing
------------------------------------ ---------------- ----------------
Total of data transferred 23.1 MB 345.2 KB
Maximum transfer rate 11.0 Mbps 153.2 kbps
Average transfer rate 1.3 Mbps 18.8 kbps

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to nothing00

Re: Peering

And again, they are still building those peering points. This wouldn't be an issue if VZ decided to go to them and pay to build out and peer with Netflix. It's only on here because Netflix is the good buy and VZ is the bad guy. And Cogent is in the middle- although if it was just Cogent and VZ- Cogent would be in the wrong and this site would be cheering for VZ.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to chip89

The better question is how accurate are those results???? Who is paying who? The same as JD Power and Consumer Reports.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to Kiwi

Re: Uverse

Most others don't either. It's those who have a small problem do you hear bitching and all of a sudden its "news"

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to alchav

Re: Streaming Performance

Didn't they pay to interconnect with Netflix?

wiggie116
Premium
Pittsfield, MA
reply to wiggie116

Re: Agreed

Sorry everyone i just posted 3 times by mistake. And I do understand why a large family or someone with multiple devices need all the bandwidth they can get. However, I mostly use Netflix, YouTube, DishAnywhere, and Facebook.

Zahl
TinBoy

join:2003-02-12
Watertown, MA

1 recommendation

baby isp lovin

Damn I love my rcn:)

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to alchav

Re: Streaming Performance

If there's enough bandwidth, Netflix doesn't need a steady stream.

My connection is 100Mbps. When I start a Netflix stream during off-peak, it nearly maxes out my connection for 5-10 seconds (say 85-95Mbps). Once enough is buffered, it drops to zero. Then it uses small bursts to keep the buffer full. I have quality set to "auto" and during off-peak periods, it goes HD within a few seconds.

During peak periods, I've noticed the initial buffer-fill isn't as fast and it takes much longer. Instead of 85-95Mbps, it's 10 or 12Mbps. It also takes 30seconds or more before it goes HD.

I have cable and this isn't a last-mile congested node issue. It also doesn't seem to be an overall ISP->Internet issue as even during peak periods, I can always exceed 100Mbps to various nationwide speedtest.net sites.

This is either traffic shaping by my ISP, traffic shaping by Netflix, traffic shaping by Netflix's transit providers or congestion at peering points.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about my ISP or Netflix. I'm very happy with the performance of both. I just noticed peak-period HD quality takes a lot longer than off-peak and I made some observations.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

1 recommendation

Amazon

What about Amazon Prime? I have difficulty maintaining HD quality with FiOS 50/25,
--
isheavenforreal.com

nothing00

Centereach, NY
reply to patt2k

Obviously you have no incentive to downgrade.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
reply to batterup

Re: More leech lies form Netflix.

Did 80mbs into the buffer before doing on avg 5800kbs.

1920x1080, I wonder if that's the highest that test video will do?

Really wish one could stream video's that looked really close to Blu-ray image quality but oh well.

mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

yup

FiOS 75/35 in NYC
The Netflix streaming isn't nearly as good as I remember it.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 recommendations

verizon has no shame

can you imagine being an all fiber network humiliated monthly with numbers from adsl2+ providers?
that would be like running an office network where your ethernet was slower than your wifi