dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-15 14:47:12: If at first you don't succeed, try again. And again. And then again for good measure. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

1 recommendation

BimmerE38FN

Good for DISH!!!

Good. I'm glad they struck them down the the dogs they are. Anyone watching TV now days would notice there seems to be more unwanted advertisement rather than actual desired content. I finally used this feature of the DVR the other night. Amazing!!!. I see the beginning of the first few seconds of the ad, then the last few seconds of the last ad before the desired content continues. So nice. Even though if DISH didn't have this feature, I don't see why FOX is wasting time, there is this thing call the PAUSE and FF buttons on the remotes that we been using for years to skip passed ads. Glad the controls are still available for the customers, not FOX or marketing companies!!!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

What I find funny about the Hopper is that I had a proscan VCR that did automatic ad marking and ad skipping in the late 1990s... Last I checked the networks did not sue RCA/Proscan. Hopper feels a lot like this only with much newer technology.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Yet the ReplayTV DVR which also automatically skipped commercials was sued out of existence by the networks back in 2001.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re ··· l_battle
masterbinky
join:2011-01-06
Carlsbad, NM

masterbinky to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
If I remember right, they changed the ads to make identification less reliable. I think it was the black screen before commercials kicked in.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
The only think I can think of is that the networks saw the writing on the wall in regards to the longevity of home VCRs and may have not wanted to go after RCA for that. VCR usage was coming to a close as cable and SAT companies started developing DVRs. Just a thought though.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
They tried to kill VCRs but lost. Besides, VCRs were notoriously difficult for average folks to program. Even when VCR+ debuted, which reduced the difficulty considerably, content companies probably felt little had changed from when they lost.

Tivo probably ruffled feathers but it was a consumer product with no direct connection to them.

I suspect Dish's DVR capabilities hit them just a bit too close to home. Dish, a direct partner, was enabling content customers to marginalize ad revenue. They probably thought it was like biting the hand that feeds you.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Good For Consumer Choice

But again, ad skipping is a cat and mouse game as well.

Best bet it to only support AD FREE entertainment.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 edit

fiosultimate

Then u have to stop coming to dsl reports, dont u see those banner ads on top?lol..... and dont start with using linux and add blocking software 99% of the us dont use that, so then just like banner adds are not going anywhere so are commercials here to stay

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
30 second skip and 5 min skip

hour long shows or movies 5min skip is useful

30min shows 30 second skip

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

djrobx to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate
Actually, I don't see banners because I'm a premium member. It's nice to have ad-free options.

aw3dhg
join:2001-09-05
Bloomingburg, NY
·Charter
·NetSpectrum

aw3dhg to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate
Use Chrome and adblock plus ... no banners to be found .. free

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Just Saving Time

US companies work us to death compared to other places around the world. I'm just skipping commercials so I can watch some TV in the short amount of time I have to myself when I'm juggling everything else going on in my life.

I'm ok with skipping 30 seconds ahead with a button press or the wonderful scan-ahead feature that the newer Tivo devices use. Hulu Plus and On Demand with Comcast are practically worthless for most of the content unless it is from a premium channel or the History Channel that still allows me to fast forward whenever I want. I record nearly everything before watching, sometimes even live sports when it is feasible.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

Re: Good For Consumer Choice

I'm just a free member, and I see no ads either...... viva la ad free options!

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to rradina

to rradina

Re: Good for DISH!!!

said by rradina:

I suspect Dish's DVR capabilities hit them just a bit too close to home. Dish, a direct partner, was enabling content customers to marginalize ad revenue. They probably thought it was like biting the hand that feeds you.

How does it minimize ad revenue? The revenue from running an ad only buys displaying the ad for the viewer to see - NOT making sure the ad is actually watched. This is not MAX HEADROOM or CLOCKWORK ORANGE where the viewer is tied down with their eyes held open. When an ad airs and I am watching in real time, I can go to the bathroom or go to the kitchen for some food. Also, unless I have the wrong impression of how the Hopper works, the ad IS recorded (and thus the ad company has gotten what they paid for since the Hopper is watching and recording the ad). The automatic skip capability, it is my impression, is only is available once the recording is 24 hours old. IOW: Any attempt to watch a newer recording requires the manual skipping as with a VCR or normal DVR recording. Thus since the recording INCLUDES the ad even if when later viewed there are ways to bypass or suppress its display the Ad company has gotten EXACTLY what they have paid for - A recording that includes the ad as it was broadcast.

How are they losing ad revenue from my skipping past the ad when I time-shift view the recording or when I am watching in real time and leave the room as an ad displays?
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

2 recommendations

78036364 (banned) to aw3dhg

to aw3dhg

said by aw3dhg:

Use Chrome and adblock plus ... no banners to be found .. free

And if I walk out of store without paying everything is free. doesn't make it right. DSLReports should ban you.

78036364 (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

Actually, I don't see banners because I'm a premium member. It's nice to have ad-free options.

and that's $10. Most people want 100% free. No money and no ads because they feel like being alive entitles them to shit in life.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to RARPSL

to RARPSL

said by RARPSL:

said by rradina:

How does it minimize ad revenue? The revenue from running an ad only buys displaying the ad for the viewer to see - NOT making sure the ad is actually watched.

For the prospective advertiser to be willing to pay the advertising rate, they have to feel some degree of assurance that their adverts will actually be seen. This is the problem the major broadcasters, in particular, are facing. In short: People are turning the adverts off. Whether they're simply "turning off" when the commercial breaks start (my wife is very successful at that), hitting mute (what we often do when watching in real time) or skipping them when watching prerecorded content (which we usually do). This is one reason, for example, broadcasters are slowly increasing the amount and types of "pop up" adverts.

Of course: That will simply annoy viewers even more, causing some number to simply stop watching entirely. Just like increasing length and frequency did. Just like every other measure they've taken to improve advert revenue has done. Again, using us as an example: We never watch feature movies on commercial TV. We either rent them from the local video store, buy them outright or watch them on Netflix. (I remember clearly the last movie I watched on commercial television. It was probably over 25 years ago. The movie was The Final Countdown. They interrupted it right in the middle of a tense scene. That did it. I turned it off, went down to the local video rental place, and rented it.)

We no longer subscribe to a local print newspaper. One of the reasons is because, eventually, the papers have become more adverts than non-advert content. Or so it seems. Why would I want to pay somebody to deliver adverts to me?

If the content creators and deliverers could get fast forward outlawed they'd do it in a heartbeat, and no mistake.

Jim

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate

I wouldn't mind ads on FREE websites or TV channels, but when I am paying $30/mo for "package", it better be ad free. /wishful-thinking
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to RARPSL

to RARPSL

You are right. There is no guarantee that anyone watches an ad. I don't know how a specific ad's price is set and when the revenue from an ad is realized. If they are prepaid and the price formula is static (i.e. not based on feedback after the ad airs), skipping a particular ad isn't going to reduce the revenue from that particular ad.

Television advertising is expensive. We live in the age of "big data". When companies spend millions on advertising revenue, they have their own science that gauges the effectiveness of their campaigns. A company will continue a long as the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. If skipping ads lowers advertising effectiveness, demand and/or prices will drop.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

Re: Just Saving Time

said by jmn1207:

US companies work us to death compared to other places around the world. I'm just skipping commercials so I can watch some TV in the short amount of time I have to myself when I'm juggling everything else going on in my life.

I'm ok with skipping 30 seconds ahead with a button press or the wonderful scan-ahead feature that the newer Tivo devices use. Hulu Plus and On Demand with Comcast are practically worthless for most of the content unless it is from a premium channel or the History Channel that still allows me to fast forward whenever I want. I record nearly everything before watching, sometimes even live sports when it is feasible.

To me sports is thing thing that makes the most sense to time shift. Since there are more advertisements during a sports broadcast than during scripted shows.

aw3dhg
join:2001-09-05
Bloomingburg, NY
·Charter
·NetSpectrum

aw3dhg to 78036364

to 78036364

well let's see I never click on ads or banners anyway so the point is moot

I have to assume you side with Fox et al in this matter , that is the hopper robs Fox etc of some form of revenue stream .. since I would guess most people get their content over cable and Sat.. the consumer is already paying for the content through their subscription to the provider

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall

Anon

Earth to advertisers.

Given a choice, viewers will not watch your advertising. This is a fact. Whether by tech magic or by simple expedience of mute or going to the bathroom/kitchen, viewers are not making themselves watch your ads. Give it up already. Didn't the fact that people routinely toss inserts into the trash/recycling receptacle clue you all in?

If people want something, THEN they go looking for it. You will NOT get people to impulse shop on television, regardless of what data shopping networks may generate. If anything, forcing people to watch commercials actually pisses them off and makes them want to avoid your product. I know it does with me. I'm tired of watching Scotia bank ads at the theater so will NEVER enter that bank. EVER.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Unfortunately you're absolutely wrong.

All of the above may be true for you and I, but there is statistical evidence that advertising works.

Obviously some products yield higher returns per dollar of advertising, and different types of advertising have varying performance. But in the end, advertising is crucial and effective.

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall

Anon

If I juggle the numbers properly I can prove almost anything, I know how statistics works. And if I were a tv ad exec I'd make damn sure I had a ton of 'evidence' to back up exactly what you say. It still doesn't mean they aren't all lying through their teeth to generate a revenue flow....I have yet to meet anyone who says they actually enjoy commercials or become interested in products because of them, or perhaps more true, I have yet to meet anyone that would actually admit to it.
Zoe5
join:2014-06-07
US

Zoe5 to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

said by fiosultimate:

and dont start with using linux and add blocking software 99% of the us dont use that

Yea for the 1%.

This is coming to you from a free account using Linux with ad blocking.

Is it really only 1%?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Flyonthewall

Premium Member

to Flyonthewall

Re: Earth to advertisers.

Again, I understand where you're coming from but you're thinking too black and white. Products don't relate to everyone, therefore advertisements won't relate to everyone. Impulse buys are only part of advertising.

Lets say today you need to buy a ****. You go to the store and find two products costing the same amount. One **** is made by X the other **** is made by Y.

You've seen a commercial for Y, but never in your life heard of X. Which **** are you more likely to buy? Be honest, the shear fact that you've never heard of X will mean you're more likely to purchase Y.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

said by rradina:

You are right. There is no guarantee that anyone watches an ad. I don't know how a specific ad's price is set and when the revenue from an ad is realized. If they are prepaid and the price formula is static (i.e. not based on feedback after the ad airs), skipping a particular ad isn't going to reduce the revenue from that particular ad.

Television advertising is expensive. We live in the age of "big data". When companies spend millions on advertising revenue, they have their own science that gauges the effectiveness of their campaigns. A company will continue a long as the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. If skipping ads lowers advertising effectiveness, demand and/or prices will drop.

ever hear of neilson ratings? usually youl get a family that gets a diary and they fill it out for a week saying what they watched, and giving feedback, however, if that family happens to say they have a landline, they get a "data recorder" every member of the family gets a "pager" like device to wear, this listens to the tv and radio they watch, listening out for comercials etc.

i know, because we where a "home scan family" we scanned barcodes for every thing we baught, we wore those pagers, and yes, answerd online surveys about advertisements we saw and if we liked them or not.

and that is how they figure out a formula to tell the tv networks how many people watched a given show, or seen a certain comercial, or if a recent comercial influenced a households buying habbits.

of course, the family is paid for it, its not a lot mind you, but i did get a very (large) microwave out of a years worth of doing that (it was about a $300 nuker at the time retail, i actually miss doing it. but we dont have a landline any more and they havent updated the data collector to use home networking, even though it technically uses power line networking for the pagers to talk through their chargers to the collector...)
mikesco8
join:2006-02-17
Southwick, MA

mikesco8 to RARPSL

to RARPSL
I suspect if enough people keep skipping ads, we will see more product placement advertising and possibly banner ads during the programming or eventually more pay per view for sports programming. It seems both sides want it all... the consumer wants ad free programming without having to pay for broadcast retransmission, while the Broadcasters want higher retransmission fees, and to force ad watching for even higher revenue.
mikesco8

mikesco8 to Flyonthewall

to Flyonthewall

Re: Earth to advertisers.

As snuffbox said you don't realize how you subconsciously react to those ads, if you see an ad for coke everywhere you go on billboards, magazine pages, and tv commercials, when you ask for a cola, you are going to say I want a coke. One ad will not do it but a constant barrage of ads giving you a brand recognition will.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to mikesco8

to mikesco8

If that happens then I presume that those users will avoid that kind of content and move to streaming content and look else where. I can see this becoming a whack a mole game if it hasn't already. Will see how long this lasts.
page: 1 · 2 · next