spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-15 16:25:10: Verizon several months ago stated Wall Street speculation that the company would acquire dish was unfounded, and more specifically "fantasy. ..

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

done deal

Following common sense this can only mean that verizon will be making an announcement to acquire dish tv within 6 months

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

True. I was thinking that they are thinking that they don't need Dish because they screw us plenty as it is.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL

Too bad for Lowell

Charlie's only going to sell the company, don't expect him to sell the spectrum by itself.

He knows that Dish by itself without its spectrum will die a slow and painful death, and he will want to cash out.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Comcast. I mean they are already small enough.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to mixdup

said by mixdup:

He knows that Dish by itself without its spectrum will die a slow and painful death, and he will want to cash out.

So instead of letting Dish merge with DirecTv the FCC rather have Dish die out slowly still leaving 1 satellite company in the end.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

Verizon doesn't need Dish

Unlike AT&T, FiOS doesn't have to off-load their Last Mile Copper because they have Fiber. So buying Dish would not make sense to Verizon. To offer Triple-Play, AT&T needs DirecTV to have more Bandwidth over their Copper Last Mile. Verizon is sitting pretty with their FTTH.

mikesterr

join:2008-04-18
Atco, NJ

According to an article I read last year 82% of Verizon's customers don't have fiber. Its unclear how many of them are in a fiber area and could switch, but with new deployment halted I think it could be as much as 50% of the network still only copper. If Verizon has hopes of selling TV everywhere then Dish network may make a nice stepping stone until an LTE option becomes viable.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

Okay, I Google some articles on Verizon FiOS and did some rough calculations. Your main figure of 82% don't have Fiber, because only 25% of Verizon customers have FiOS. I figured that 90% of Verizon customers have access to FiOS, and only 1% are still on Copper. Also 75% could have FiOS TV. That 25% is very realistic, because I lived in a Community of 5000 homes, and FiOS went in there in 2005 and in 2012 maybe had 25% penetration.