dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-17 12:32:36: Historically, unless you're willing to argue with DirecTV over whether you have satellite line of sight -- or you get it via some kind of promotion (like the Madden NFL game bundle last year) -- it can be difficult or impossible to get a standalone v.. ..

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

The "select universities"

RE: "are enrolled in select universities."

DIRECTV Offers NFL Ticket to Non-Subs! (Just Like Before)
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - July 17, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv ··· 1714.htm
quote:
There is one new feature of DIRECTV's non-subscriber plan. The ad says the satcaster has partnered with 10 universities, allowing students there to sign up for the online edition without a DIRECTV subscription.
(Update: The 10 universities are: University of Texas; University of Washington; USC; University of Michigan; University of Florida; University of Alabama; University of Colorado at Boulder; Syracuse University; Ohio State University; and Harvard University.)
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Re: The "select universities"

DirecTV must believe that the loss of subscriptions to people going with standalone Sunday Ticket exceeds the amount of money they could make from all those who only want Sunday Ticket, especially with the rise of cord cutting. Funny how fans have made the NFL the richest sports league in the world and the NFL in turn tells fans to screw themselves by making it so difficult to watch out of market games.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
Ohio State ditched TW and WOW and use DTV exclusively to source the campus cable TV network these days?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Re: The "select universities"

last time I checked they used time warner or wow.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Yawn

If I were a fan of pro sports I might be upset but frankly, I could care less. In fact, let them triple the price. True fans will mortgage their houses to watch and the NFL can take that to the bank. I am just glad they are not sticking it to anyone with a TV and Internet connection through some kind of service surcharge.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby

Re: Yawn

said by n2jtx:

I could care less

How much could you care less?

SteelerRaw
@8.28.150.x

SteelerRaw

Anon

said by toby:

said by n2jtx:

I could care less

How much could you care less?

Lol thank you. It amazes how much that rather common saying gets butchered.
biochemistry
Premium Member

biochemistry

Premium Member

It is actually an accepted saying because it is so common. It is more of an abbreviation for "I could care less... but not much less."

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

NFL....

2 minutes of play, followed by 3 fat men discussing said play for 5 minutes before the clock continues. If you are lucky not to have been pushed off to a commercial.

Nah. Give me hockey and soccer any day. Sure, hockey stops the clock every so often, but not that much, and it is a continued action sport. Soccer is the same, the world cup games are much more enjoyable then overweight guys barreling down a field with a egg shaped "ball".

Online only or not, I won't be getting NFL Sunday Ticket, unless I own a sports bar or something. And even then I would probably open a soccer themed bar, and subscribe to Premier League instead.

Might be good news for "handegg" fans down the pipeline though: The AT&T acquisition might mean NFL Sunday Ticket may become available on U-verse on the next negotiation round.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: NFL....

»www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=475

I remember reading another story on this not too long ago and it was a lot less for baseball and football. However, they defined action as only when the ball was in motion which made it like 5mins and something. Motion being a hike or a pitch/hit. They had multiple categories for action and thus multiple times. But I would agree, if the ball is not in motion, it is not action and I would question if a pitch counts being they typically result in nothing but a game of catch most of the time.
biochemistry
Premium Member

biochemistry to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
I only watch the last 5 minutes or so live. The rest I record and then I ffw through the commercials and announcer chatter. I start watching 45 minutes to an hour after the game has started.

SteelerRaw
@8.28.150.x

SteelerRaw to maartena

Anon

to maartena
said by maartena:

Online only or not, I won't be getting NFL Sunday Ticket, unless I own a sports bar or something. And even then I would probably open a soccer themed bar, and subscribe to Premier League instead.

While that would be good news for divegrass fans in your hypothetical bar's locale, I doubt that it would be a viable business model in most parts of the U.S.

The_ANoN
@75.131.209.x

The_ANoN to maartena

Anon

to maartena
said by maartena:

2 minutes of play, followed by 3 fat men discussing said play for 5 minutes before the clock continues.

I could tolerate hockey.... but soccer? I would rather watch paint dry. I cant watch any sport where its that difficult for a team to score..
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Sad...

It is quite sad that they are just not willing to buck the old ways and move forward.

I am sure a lot of this has to do with the Cable/Sat companies not wanting them to give all this freedom and thus they pay them more to keep it under a closed system.

However, choosing a console (at a higher price) or other method and not being able to go between the 2 unless you pay a ridiculous amount more is shear stupidity on the NFL.

I guess when you have enough people that are willing to pay the asking price there is no reason to do anything else.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Re: Sad...

It has to do with advertising money. The local networks are afraid if you watch an out of market game on cable you might miss their commercial.
jdofaz
join:2013-04-15
Phoenix, AZ

jdofaz

stand alone option

It used to be possible to get sunday ticket as a standalone subscription, I wonder if that is still an option.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

XBOX?

I have NFL sunday ticket max but no word on if current subscription is available on xbox? This would be cool.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

2 recommendations

wkm001

I used it last season

I purchased the Madden game last year, got the code, and sold the game on Craig's List.

I have to say, the streaming experience wasn't all that great. I use a Windows Media Center computer as my DVR / set top box. So opening a browser isn't that big of a deal. The streaming picture quality was around SD (standard definition). The UI on the web page wasn't all that great either. It should have been easier to switch between games or display more than one game at a time. You either had to watch one game or four, nothing in between.

I watched NFL games pretty hard core for the first few weeks. But half way through the season I stopped using it. My local stations were carrying good games and the picture quality was annoying.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

1 recommendation

ncbill

Premium Member

Re: I used it last season

Same here - sold the game for $40, so it cost me $60 net.

Really enjoyed the RedZone channel, but ultimately I wanted the picture quality only OTA could provide.

The_ANoN
@75.131.209.x

The_ANoN to wkm001

Anon

to wkm001
Youre only talking about streaming from the PC.. which was decent at best. You could watch a game and select from a list of other games that was laid across the top of the screen. However, streaming on the iPad was much better. Quality was great if you had a good internet connection.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

very lound bachground noise

I just called about what are the proof requirements of not receiving directv signals. I could hear a word because of the back ground noise.
excalibur26
join:2013-02-02

excalibur26

Why Bother Buying DirecTV

Why doesn't AT&T just blow any offer DirecTV could make for the NFL package out of the water, instead of buying DirecTV? Satellite dishes seem so 20th century.
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

dewdude

I shouldn't have a problem.

The last time I tired to get DirecTV; the installers said there was no LOS and they had to call in to DirecTV to cancel the order. I got a lot of trees.