spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-18 16:24:59: Colin Nederkoorn, CEO of software company Customer.io is a bit annoyed that his 75 Mbps FiOS connection can't stream a Netflix video. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

2 recommendations

Oh Karl, you imp....

.... clearly that's something the FCC's investigation can uncover in short order without ambiguous waffling, right?

You're just messin' with us, aren't you?

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

3 edits

How to test your Netflix bitrate...

This shows Netflix bitrate your ISP can support...

»www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810···d=439131

Win7, older Roku/streaming devices and most tablets can only do up to 3Mbps or less. Win8, Chromecast, PS3 and higher end streaming devices can do over 5 if ISP can support it. The '1080' HD streams range from about 4.3 - 5.8Mbps.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

4 recommendations

VPN to stream Netflix using FiOS.

What Mr. Colin Nederkoorn has done is great. There is no more definitive proof than his experiment. Verizon is causing the Netflix streaming problem. You cannot get any better evidence. Add in the Level 3 research and Verizon is guilty of willfully degrading Netflix streaming.

phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

3 recommendations

following federal actions..

He better watch it.
If he tries to get the FCC to do something, Verizon might have massive hard drive failures...

join:2014-05-06
USA

a bit off on the numbers

makes me question the whole thing. Got to get basic facts correct first.

"I connect to a VPN (in this case VyprVPN) and I quickly get up to full speed at 3000 kbps (the max on Netflix), "

First super HD is double that. Even regular HD is around 5 Mbps.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to davidhoffman

Re: VPN to stream Netflix using FiOS.

said by davidhoffman:

What Mr. Colin Nederkoorn has done is great. There is no more definitive proof than his experiment. Verizon is causing the Netflix streaming problem. You cannot get any better evidence. Add in the Level 3 research and Verizon is guilty of willfully degrading Netflix streaming.

except when he says things like 3 Mbps is the max speed on Netflix. what else did he get wrong?

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to 78036364

Re: a bit off on the numbers

said by 78036364:

The webvideo test that netflix runs maxes out at 3000kbps... I'm not sure why but it never goes higher than that. So yes they do have higher streams, but their web video test only goes to 3000kbps

Nothing is suspect about it... that's just the way it is.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to 78036364

The video clearly shows the stream pegged at 3000 kbps. This seems more likely to be an issue with the browser being used. There is clearly an artificial cap on the speed. Some comments claim this occurs with Chrome, but IE happens to provide better results.

existenz

reply to 78036364

It also depends on device, some can only do up to 3. See above post.

existenz

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

It also depends on device, some can only do up to 3. See above post, how to test NF bitrate.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 78036364

said by 78036364:

"I connect to a VPN (in this case VyprVPN) and I quickly get up to full speed at 3000 kbps (the max on Netflix), "

First super HD is double that. Even regular HD is around 5 Mbps.

I believe 3mbit is the max for a windows 7 and earlier machine. I am not sure about Mac OSX or *nix. I think Windows 8 can do "SuperHD" as can newer Rokus, PS3s, etc.. SuperHD is the 5.8mbit (5.8?) one. Not sure about any of that 4k mess.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

No such limitations with Windows 7, but as has been mentioned above, there are other factors that could contribute to the 3000 kbps limit.

existenz

reply to norm

Netflix 4K will supposedly use about 15Mbps.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

4 recommendations

said by existenz:

Netflix 4K will supposedly use about 15Mbps.

I wish they would stream 1080p at 15Mbps. I can afford the speed, but not the 4K TV. At least not a big 4K TV.

existenz

Agree.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

No such limitations with Windows 7, but as has been mentioned above, there are other factors that could contribute to the 3000 kbps limit.

I read though that doesn't mean it right that you have to use the windows 8 netflix app to get super HD, otherwise you're limited to Netflix's traditional HD of 3mbit.

nycnetwork

join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Tethering to your LTE device

Another way of confirming this for FiOS customers is tethering to your LTE capable device (non Verizon) when at your FiOS location (Home).

Tethering to T-Mobile device instantly loads HD Netflix stream. Same with AT&T.
Switching back to my home 75Mbps FiOS line causes video to buffer for a while, then continuing at SD.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
reply to existenz

Re: How to test your Netflix bitrate...

any such test link for non members?

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
reply to norm

Sorry, my mistake, you appear to be correct.

»support.unblock-us.com/customer/···super-hd

Also, not included on this list are the Tivo Roamio DVRs. I know that my Roamio Plus at least claims to be playing Super HD when I select the info button when streaming most Netflix content.

existenz

reply to Packeteers

Re: How to test your Netflix bitrate...

Dont think so but good idea for just that video. Or you can do a trial acct then cancel.

mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

1 recommendation

He's right!

Fellow FiOS 75/35 customer
In NYC

I can confirm this also works

batman

@50.182.54.x

1 recommendation

reply to davidhoffman

said by davidhoffman:

Or Netflix is routing to an interconnection point they know is congested instead of one that is open. Don't put that possibility out of consideration as Netflix continues its PR campaign against Verizon because they are mad Verizon wants them to pay for direct connections.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

2 edits

1 recommendation

case of deliberate indifference towards Verizon FiOS customers

Verizon is deliberately letting the lines get saturated I agree. And the rest as on they are doing it is simply because of lax FCC regulation and lack of competition. If basically one site goes down on Verizon they know you ain't got a choice in providers and they know they got the only fiber game in town. They know that they can make their customers suffer and then claim, "nope nothing is broken" because it is normally only the handful of sites effected.

The fault is not Netflix because as an internet service provider at home it is Verizon's obligation to ensure that their customers get and maintain access to level3 and all other networks but they aren't doing that. Verizon customers should be asking them "what is my $75 per month or whatever going to pay here" "why isn't Verizon using the money to maintain their network above all else as I am a paying customer".. $75 bucks a month from the customer to connect to Netflix and whatever is plenty. What they are doing is trying to multidip by charging everyone and their grandma as much as they can to increase unwarranted profits for investors and corporate Leacher's while not a single dime brought in is being used to innovate or build a solid product that people need or want .. The idea is that they can strangle hold both the customer and the content provider into paying more and more and more and more and never have to lift a finger for service that was already paid for ...

Behind the scene Verizon has allocated so much money to investors basically in the form of unspent dollars and they have capped their investment into their network at extrodinary low amounts keeping each dollar for profits instead.
--
www.oregonstatehospital.net - CIA and state of Oregon set me up and targeted me with a microwave weapon, learn more.

existenz

1 recommendation

reply to batman

Then wouldn't have NF done that with other ISPs doing CDN?

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

What we all knew...

All this has really confirmed is, "CEOs" don't necessarily know more than the average person... Joking (somewhat) aside, its no mystery there is a problem with NetFlix traffic, the question has always been who should be doing what about it.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: Oh Karl, you imp....

said by MaynardKrebs:

.... clearly that's something the FCC's investigation can uncover in short order without ambiguous waffling, right?

You're just messin' with us, aren't you?

The FCC is not going to do a thing. The old rule still applies; never ask questions when you do not really want to know the answer. I am sure the FCC really does not want to know that Verizon is misbehaving because then it would mean the actually have to act against their keepers and you never bite the hand that pays you off.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

super HD?

I thought some of those 4k movies (or res btw 1080p and 4k)require much more than 3mbits..

ticktockmago

@166.137.240.x

same experience

Been that way for a long time. I connect to my works VPN, which is 100Mbps dedicated fiber line from Comcast and never once has YouTube or Netflix slowed down. Without the VPN the quality is severely degraded.

existenz

reply to tmc8080

Re: super HD?

Read 'how to test NF bitrate' thread. And yes, 4K needs about 15M if I recall.

batman

@50.182.54.x

1 recommendation

reply to existenz

said by existenz:

Then wouldn't have NF done that with other ISPs doing CDN?

Maybe not. They are waging a war right now against the 3 big ISPs - Verizon, Comcast, & AT&T. They may be leaving the smaller ones alone to see how their PR campaign plays to the FCC.