dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-21 12:49:49: Google announced back in February that they were working with 34 potential new Google Fiber cities, requesting those cities fill out and agree to a fiber ready checklist to make installation easier. ..

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

GF improving the existing network too...

I've noticed lately they've improved routing, especially to W Coast from KC. Performance also on uptick to the coasts...

»Google Fiber improves routing and performance

Portland and Charlotte apparently have been seeing more action from Google Fiber lately and Phoenix reported GF hiring in area. Doesn't mean they'll get it but Google seems to be still looking at them.

Kuro

@75.151.50.x

The wait is killing me

I know at best if they select my city (Nashville) that it will be the end of next year before I have hope of seeing it but I just want to know if its coming or not.

ev

@74.140.91.x

1 recommendation

Apples and Oranges

Love how le Goog and cities like Chattanooga deliver a gigabit for $0.06999 a megabit TODAY. Don't forget, EPB was charing around $300/mo just a couple of years ago!

Meanwhile in MSO land, the poor Comcastic Time Warners of the land begrudgingly deliver a fraction of that gigabit across underutilized fttn for an advertised price of $1.3998/mbps -- assuming 50/5 @ $69.99/mo. TWC charges literally TWENTY (!!) times the price Chattanooga asks, plus can't afford to maintain reliable DNS functionality and absolutely ruins the upstream experience.

Since Tom Wheeler and the FCC refuse to stand up for consumers, perhaps local county auditors should make it their priority to measure bits the way they certify supermarket scales and gasoline pumps. Wouldn't that be nice?

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI
reply to existenz

Re: GF improving the existing network too...

the march forward continues, albeit at a slower pace than what most users on DSLR would like (can't please everyone :P)

software is easy. people, permits, labor/construction laws are hard. Good to see that Google (hopefully) is sticking with it.

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to existenz
existenz, where do you find info about which areas are seeing Google Fiber action? Obviously I'd like to see it come to Raleigh/Durham before Charlotte. Just wondering where the best place to get the scoop is.

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
»www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/0 ··· ZLHVdX0o
»ktar.com/22/1751739/Is-Google-Fi ··· -Phoenix
»wallstcheatsheet.com/business/is ··· =viewall

Search news.google.com for 'google fiber your_city'.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ev

Re: Apples and Oranges

said by ev :

Love how le Goog and cities like Chattanooga deliver a gigabit for $0.06999 a megabit TODAY.

Actually they don't have it TODAY, they MIGHT in 2 plus years, if their Politian's are "flexible, enough" to bend over backward and lower "Google Fiber's economics" (i.e. shift the cost onto the citizens)

said by ev :

perhaps local county auditors should make it their priority to measure bits the way they certify supermarket scales and gasoline pumps. Wouldn't that be nice?

weight's and measures are usually a State office, rather than local, and given all the responsibilities that most states can't afford to fulfill right now (including some life safety issues), I think they don't need to add anymore.

ev

@74.140.91.x

1 recommendation

Responsibilities some states can't afford to fulfill because Tea-publicas and devil's advocates like yourself believe in that whole starve the beast thing. Anarchy is SO cool!

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ev :

because Tea-publicas and devil's advocates like yourself...Anarchy is SO cool!

If you did better research, you would know that is far from my position.
I only advocate an honest description, and that the true cost be recognized.
Your first post met neither criteria. your second also has multiple errors.

gerick

join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
kudos:1

Transcript error?

quote:
Over the coming months we’ll actually be going through all of the details with them, whether it would be write away or permitting or otherwise, and that’s what we’re going to use to make decisions as to how broad a program will have.
I don't know what was used to transcribe the earnings call, but I think they made a mistake. I would suspect that "write away" is supposed to be "right of way", since they are discussing "permitting or otherwise" of the build out of the Google Fiber in the cities.

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

economics

Economics are improving, code for they are not losing as much money as before

existenz

They were talking about economics of Gbit networks/deployment in general. As with any fresh rollout of major infrastructure, it takes years for an ROI.

BiggA
Premium
join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to ev

Re: Apples and Oranges

The cable providers are doing well in some areas. Comcast is doing 100/20 in many areas, which is more than most Wifi APs will do anyways. They need to work more on the video side of things, and getting all areas up to those speeds, no on some crazy fast speeds that 1% of their users will even be able to use.

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX
reply to existenz

Re: economics

U are right after all , the titanic owners are still waiting for the investment to pay off, just give them a few more years too

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
They will make up any loses from the info about you they gain from you surfing the internet. Now they only get what comes through their apps. On their fiber it will be hard to block them from knowing everything.

Austin78701

@70.114.222.x

Austin Expansion Not On Schedule

Who creates these inaccurate healines?

jay1278

@67.232.181.x
i know gf needs to expand to every area not just the cities. because cities have fiber already. where i live we will be lucky to even see it.

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
reply to fiosultimate

Re: economics

If U are trying to look smart, stop using "U" as a replacement for "You".