dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-21 14:13:58: Dissatisfied with service from the likes of Time Warner Cable, last fall the city of Los Angeles used an innovative approach to get 1 Gbps connections to all city residents: they simply asked if any companies wanted to come to town to build and fund .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Writing does not matter

As we learned from Verizon's many written promises of FTTH to various state governments back when they were Bell Atlantic in the early 90's, promises are made to be broken.

Heck, even their newer franchise agreements that promised FIOS to addresses that met density requirements have not been completely acted on.

So, how is TW promising "1gbps" any different? They will deliver it to a few blocks and call it a day.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

talz13

Yay?

How about increasing the upload for the rest of the country? About 3 years ago we finally got "wideband", with speeds up to 50 down / 5 up. No speed changes since then.

Edit: I see I've been out of the loop for a little while, hadn't heard about Time Warner Maxx. I wonder how long it will take to get to my area! going from 30/5 to 200/20 sounds good.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

RST fiber and AT&T are beating them to 1Gbs in NC

RST fiber is getting very close to doing 1Gbs and AT&T has gotten the green light in many city's. Time warner cable hasn't even done the 100mbs upgrade they said they would do much less 1Gbs.

TWC and there 1Gbs is a pipe dream until we see them do it.

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall

Anon

If it's not written and notorized....

May as well hang any verbal promise next to the toilet for all it's worth, if you could hang it anywhere representative.

You have to wonder how companies can remain in business for this long when making statements they don't intend to keep. It should be illegal for any company to make this kind of promise without actually following through with it. Of course they'd probably claim it was a business decision that started it, and another unrelated (BS) decision that ended it.

Mind you the politicians take their cue from them, and we know what they are like too. I guess it makes sense that you parrot the behavior of the people you hang around.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

2 recommendations

DocDrew to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Re: RST fiber and AT&T are beating them to 1Gbs in NC

TWC has started launching 300mpbs in the cities it said it would and that's the same area supposed to be getting 1 Gbps:
»Official MAXX - I've Got it - Thread

The areas still waiting on 100mbps to roll out will probably get the gear removed from the areas upgraded to MAXX 300mpbs shipped over and installed.

That's further along then RST "getting very close" and AT&T "getting the green light" since it's an actual service people can order and get.

Your constant thread crapping everywhere because of your bad experience with TWC is really getting old.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to Flyonthewall

Premium Member

to Flyonthewall

Re: If it's not written and notorized....

said by Flyonthewall :

May as well hang any verbal promise next to the toilet for all it's worth, if you could hang it anywhere representative.

You have to wonder how companies can remain in business for this long when making statements they don't intend to keep. It should be illegal for any company to make this kind of promise without actually following through with it. Of course they'd probably claim it was a business decision that started it, and another unrelated (BS) decision that ended it.

Mind you the politicians take their cue from them, and we know what they are like too. I guess it makes sense that you parrot the behavior of the people you hang around.

Hang next to the toilet, more like flush it down the toilet for all it's worth.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

2 recommendations

TAZ

But wait...

I thought I didn't want gigabit. Or at least that's what TWC was saying just a few months ago. What happened?!? :P

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

Ericthorn to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: Writing does not matter

Came here to say just about this exactly. All of these ISP's can blow hot air all day. Doesn't mean that there's anything to hold them accountable for what they say. I wish I could do business this way and actually stay in business.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to DocDrew

MVM

to DocDrew

Should be a faster deployment than laying fiber, as it will be just upgrading existing plant to DOCSIS 3.1:

quote:
The nation’s second-largest cable operator, which is the process of being acquired by Comcast, said its response included detailed information about the deployment of DOCSIS 3.1 to deliver the 1-Gig service.

CableLabs released the initial specifications for DOCSIS 3.1 in October of last year. At The Cable Show in April, the cable industry gave DOCSIS 3.1 the consumer-facing name of “Gigasphere.”

“Over the last four years, Time Warner Cable has invested more than $1.5 billion to enhance our infrastructure and services in Los Angeles. This significant investment coupled with new ‘Gigasphere’ technology positions us to be able to introduce gigabit-per-second speeds in 2016,” said Peter Stern, executive vice president and chief strategy, people and corporate development officer at TWC. “Leveraging our existing network allows us to deliver these speeds faster and with less disruption than any other provider."

Los Angeles is one of the markets that Time Warner Cable targeted for its TWC Maxx network upgrade, which includes a 300 Mbps tier that has launched in some areas of the city. Time Warner said it expected to complete the network upgrade, which includes the move to all-digital, across its Los Angeles footprint by the end of this year.

Time Warner Cable said it expected DOCSIS 3.1 to be ready for initial pilots next year.

“As the new standard is certified and equipment manufacturers deliver new hardware and modems, our Los Angeles system will be prepared to begin deployment of gigabit speeds to consumers,” Stern said. “We can quickly adopt the new DOCSIS 3.1 standards and deliver gigabit speeds for consumers across our entire Los Angeles footprint, not just select neighborhoods and communities."

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx

said by Zenit_IIfx:

So, how is TW promising "1gbps" any different? They will deliver it to a few blocks and call it a day.

one thing that stuck out in the article was their statement; " "The network that we have is future-proofed so that we can deliver those types of speeds without having to dig up streets and dig up people's yards."

This leads me to believe that they plan to use DOCSIS....they can do this now by bonding 24 channels (at least the downstream speeds) and with 3.1, they can get 1Gb upstream too.

another possibility is EPON over Coax (IEEE EPoC) which should be generally available starting sometime next year.

but based on that press release, I don't think they are offering FTTH to get to 1Gb

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to talz13

Anon

to talz13

Re: Yay?

The great state of Ohio is FUBAR until at least 2017! Time Warner certainly won't spend a NICKEL upgrading any part of their networks here since we're a hot potato between Charter/Comcast.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

Yay.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

Qube

Considering Columbus was ground-zero for Qube, you'd think that TWC would've spared no expense upgrading the entire city to gigabit... a decade ago.

The HSI precursor to what eventually became Road Runner originally started out at around 50mbps, didn't it? Like way back in 1996 or thereabouts? What was the price back then? Anyone know?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Brought to you by the 100 down/5 up company...

I'll believe it when it's available.

Right now, the top tier listed is 100 down/5 up...

All talk until then.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Time Warner Cable now says they've promised Los Angeles leaders 1 Gbps

Well... I don't know about you, but who cares if only the leaders will have 1Gbps service. What about the residents of L.A. ?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

1 Gbps to the entire city of Los Angeles in just two years sounds impressive

,but not if it's Google rolling out a new fiber plant from scratch, yet upgrades to an existing COAX-fiber plant (with fiber deep in the last mile) that already reaches almost every address, can't be done?

While it's likely that TWC won't exist long enough to fulfill that or not.
if you just look at the 2 "promises" side by side knowing the technology that exists, with out prejudice towards any company or technology. and asked 100 people "WHICH is more likely to be possible?"
What do you think the results would be?
bop75
join:2013-11-08

1 recommendation

bop75

Won't Comcast own them long before this could happen?

BS

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Why don't TWC start laying out more fiber to get 1gbps
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

TWC Delivers

Despite the usual criticisms that this forum stirs daily, a neutral observer might note that Time Warner, Comcast, Charter, Cox and Verizon have been investing in plant and generally making good on their promises for bandwidth - and serving up better value, year after year. Its not free, but it improves year over year.

It is not inconceivable for the MSO to offer up Gbit service within three years.
Whether the public will pay for it is another matter.

Santa Monica has had muni fiber for almost two decades. Its now running at 10Gbit.
And yet, none of us peasants can tap it.

I'll take private, for-profit TWC any day of the week.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

For private means they will make max profits,some people dont understand that ,
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: 1 Gbps to the entire city of Los Angeles in just two years sounds impressive

In theory - there's 3 ways for this to happen.

1. Fiber deployment (not likely)
2. QAM 4096 on Docsis 3.1 (possible - going to have to have 'really' tight connections, low noise)
3. At least +24 downstream channels on QAM 256 bonded. It is possible. We are using 16 today.

I suspect the long term goal is #2. #3 is close to existing ... TWC's model may require users to have 32 channels with their current model. Eg. a 343Mbps capable system today is capped at 100Mbps. A 160 Mbps - 4 channel modem is capped at 50Mbps.
Brim77
join:2012-03-16
Lansing, MI

Brim77

TWC confirms Google Fiber coming to LA.

That's the only way I see LA getting 1 Gbps by 2016.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to bbeesley

Premium Member

to bbeesley

24*38 = 912mbps. They will need D3.1, which will get them to 1gbps downstream. Doesn't matter if there's only 1gbps on the whole node, as that's just a top speed for advertising anyways. Basically uncapped service like back in the day.
BiggA

BiggA to en103

Premium Member

to en103

Re: 1 Gbps to the entire city of Los Angeles in just two years sounds impressive

You'd have to go to 27 D3 channels bonded to actually get to a gig. So likely something like 32 channel D3, if the equipment for such a beast even exists.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to OpTiC

to OpTiC

Fiber is sexy and all that but DOCSIS3.1 is easily capable of 10Gpbs. There is no need to spend all that money on fiber, not yet.
quote:
DOCSIS 3.1 - Released October 2013, plans support capacities of at least 10 Gbit/s downstream and 1 Gbit/s upstream using 4096 QAM. The new specs will do away with 6 MHz and 8 MHz wide channel spacing and instead use smaller (20 kHz to 50 kHz wide) orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) subcarriers; these can be bonded inside a block spectrum that could end up being about 200 MHz wide.[7]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to bbeesley

to bbeesley

They could offer this by using RF over glass. Doing so would allow them to pull the coax out of the line while pushing fiber in the line.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to why60loss

to why60loss

Re: If it's not written and notorized....

As others that are claiming they'll wire cities and haven't.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to Brim77

to Brim77

Re: TWC confirms Google Fiber coming to LA.

How does TWC confirm that??? Google doesn't even have a network in the other 5+ cities they promised to build in and signed contracts for.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

Re: TWC Delivers

There is nothing wrong with maximizing profit.

It is far better to have a private firm risking their own capital, on a product you aren't required to buy, than the government model, wherein I am required to pay for the service many times over without recourse, whether it is available to me or not, and whether I want it or not.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

The thing is I doubt it will be widespread due to cost but will likely be "AVAILABLE"
No, it probably won't be Google fiber cheap, but it might happen in just a couple years....holding your breath for GOOGLE or nothing is certain death
page: 1 · 2 · next