spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-23 09:25:56: It's no mystery that wireless carriers have pushed hard to get users on metered data plans, hoping to raise data revenues as the SMS and voice minute cash cows head out to pasture. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Verizon "suggests" warranty replacements force plan changes

I recently had my wife's phone replaced under Verizon's extended coverage plan. The issue was the loud speaker in the phone had stopped working, which is a "manufacturer's defect" covered by Verizon's extended warranty, not by Assurion's phone replacement. (the two are included in the monthly protection charge)

I spent 20 minutes on the phone with the first Verizon rep listening to how I needed to just upgrade my phones and plan, rather than replacing the malfunctioning phone. No matter how many times I said I just wanted to keep the same phones/plan, he kept at it, at times suggesting that my coverage stopped when the 2 year contract expired, despite them continuing to charge me for it. (we are at about 28 months now) I finally hung up and called back, and while the second rep started off with the same pitch, a few minutes into it he agreed to send a replacement.

I was mostly being insistent because we like our phones, and hate the dock options for the new ones. But being grandfathered on unlimited data AND a great former-Alltel plan, I am glad I stuck to my guns. Even looking at the $0 up front, 2 year contract price phones, changing to a 3Gb shared plan would cost me more than our current 2 phones with unlimited.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

the normals are being bamboozled out of unlimited data, but...

there is still a hardcore group of us out there that will never give it up -

»www.droid-life.com/2014/06/12/th···32629504

and when Verizon tries to forcefully kill it off like AT&T did, I'll go to T-Mobile.

Personally I think Verizon will keep it - small perk for the Verizon executives and their families to remain on it; as long as its an option in their internal systems, the powers to be will have it there for them.

Caladus

join:2009-07-01
Beaverton, OR

3 recommendations

I win?

Still on unlimited. 4G Unlimited even. There are simply too many options for buying phones outside of the usual channels. Not that I'd mind paying full retail but there are also tricks that consumers can use to keep unlimited and still have a subsidized phone too.

Most people, however, don't have the will or the patience to actually fight for their unlimited data.

If Verizon eventually just gets rid of my unlimited I'm going to another carrier that still has unlimited. And I'll never look back.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Camelot One

Re: Verizon "suggests" warranty replacements force plan changes

I would suggest that Verizon doesn't really care about unlimited because lets face it, very profitable for them. You are still paying $100+ dollars and the phone subsidy has long past.

The issue is that they want to pool more devices under these shared plans to:

1. Make it impossible to churn
2. Make marginally more money on data
3. Ditch phone subsidies
4. Add more devices (tablets, watches, etc) which each have a tax on them per month.
5. Reduce transit costs (keep communications within the network)

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
I have the lowest number of minutes (450) and text messages (1000) along with unlimited data and tethering (unfortunately with this grandfathered plan they require you to add tethering to truly tether otherwise you are running the risk of them cancelling you) which comes out to $110/month, without a corporate discount. With a corporate discount its $95.

I use about 20-30/gb a month - streaming random Netflix movies while on the road for work/music streaming. That comes out to $3.1 a gigabyte.

Using Verizon's new 'Charge you more for everything plan', the cost per gigabyte for this type of usage is incredible. And there are people who use hundreds of GB's which will never be profitable for Verizon. So as long as you are above the 20GB a month band, you're coming out on top of Verizon. You basically have to focus on the cost per GB.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by karpodiem:

I use about 20-30/gb a month

Thats the real irony of VZ trying to push us off of unlimited. Between the two of us, we average less than 2Gb per month. We are the desirable low-usage-but-paying-for-unlimited customer. I want to keep the unlimited just in case I ever need to rely on the cell for primary data (home line goes out, etc) But it is also because my unlimited on both phones is cheaper than their current pricing for 3Gb shared between us.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to karpodiem

Re: the normals are being bamboozled out of unlimited data, but...

You do realize they don't have to keep unlimited around to provide an unlimited plan to Verizon executives, right? They can just build an unlimited plan exclusively for those executives.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

hmm

ATT has realized that their unlimited plans are actually more expensive then some of their other plans. If I were to switch to the plan they want me to I would actually save something like $10 to $20 a month if I switch to shared data.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to karpodiem

ATT hasn't forcefully killed off unlimited. I think you have it reversed. I have att and as long as I don't change data plans I can keep my unlimited. you can renew your contract or even use their plan. I upgraded my wife to an iPhone 5s and she still kept her unlimited. with Verizon if you renew with a subsidized phone you lose your unlimited.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

3 edits

Yea, they are good at repelling heavy users.

I can affirm this, I was a unlimited Verizon user until they refused to allow subsidized phone upgrades and keep unlimited. I stuck around for a little over a year after that change, but eventually couldn't remember why I was paying so much, including paying for a subsidy that I wasn't allowed to use.

I switched to prepaid, now I play less for unlimited data/talk/text on my phone and unlimited talk/text and 2.5 gb of data for my fiance, than I paid for that 1 single unlimited Verizon phone. $100 for 2 smartphones, I was paying like $105 to verizon for one line without unlimited talk.

While purging unlimited users it good for their business, they seem to have been able to replace them with light capped users.
It also shows that in large a lot of Verizon unlimited users realized that their were much better deals out there.
Even many prepaid AT&T mvno are better deals than Verizon and you have a much more diverse phone selection and don't have to wait on Verizon's slow as molasses software updates.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to atuarre

I'm curious then as to why VZW hasn't killed or neutered unlimited like at&t has. There is zero economic reason why VZW would keep this unlimited plan, and we all know how much VZW loves money.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to majortom1029
what's your monthly data usage? I recall at&t being heavy handed in that regard

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to karpodiem
Whatever the reason is, executive privileges is not one of them. They can build any type of plan they want, for employee or internal use, and executives probably do have a special plan that allows for unlimited talk, text, and data. They don't need to continue to offer unlimited data to customers to facilitate unlimited data in house for their corporate executives.

robbyglack

@67.176.82.x

and verizon is the one with truly unlimited

if find this very interesting considering that the verizon plan is worth keeping since it is truly unlimited and the at&t plan gets throttled often making it a better deal to switch away.

i suspect verizon sales rep are trained to push people away a bit harder(partly to stop the plans from being sold on ebay to persons planning to use for primarily home internet connection) where as at&t does not really care since they throttle the connection anyways making them not so useful to blanket a home as a cable/dsl replacement.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY
reply to Camelot One

CSR Roulette. Call one or two more times, and different reps will give you completely different answers.

Oh, and that rep was incorrect. You should be able to get the phone replaced without changing plans. Have a look over at HowardForums.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI

2 edits
reply to atuarre

well thank you for making that perfectly clear...someone give this person a medal.

Ark

join:2002-06-08
Ada, MI

What obligation?

Seriously, what obligation do any of these providers have to let anybody be "grandfathered in" on any plans? Once your contract is up, you're basically at the mercy of month-to-month, and if they say your plan is no longer available, then too bad. You're not owed the same plan anymore just because you had it on a contract for two years. You either move to the current plans and get a new contract, or agree to whatever the month-to-month deals are. I really don't see why cell companies bother with grandfathered plans, especially when it does nothing but HURT the people on modern plans that actually have to watch their data usage.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Surprising

I am actually surprised the number is as high as it is. I know several people that wanted new subsidised phones so badly they dropped it and some that found a family share plan was cheaper because they didn't use much data. I am hanging onto mine for as long as I can.
--
The harvest is nigh past, the summer is nigh ended. Are you saved? bibleprophecytruth.com

join:2014-05-06
USA

500 person survey can't be very accurate.

just sayin. at&t says only 19% on unlimited this survey says 44%. I'll trust at&t numbers.

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
Reviews:
·Midcontinent Com..

only way

To keep unlimited is to do this..

add a phone for 10bux....mind u smartphone.. then take that line and add that smartphone to an existing phone (main or secondary) then on that add line u just purchased use a dummy phone that doesn't require interwebs/data.. BAM you just got yourself a Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy for whatever the price its going for nowadays. you will get charged that ONE day of use.. but other then that ur free of BS charges once dummy phone is active

Now i have yet to do this. my kid isn't old enough for a phone.. but i CSR did tell me to do it this way. but then again that was YEARS ago.. maybe 2-3yrs

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to karpodiem

said by karpodiem:

I have the lowest number of minutes (450) and text messages (1000) along with unlimited data and tethering (unfortunately with this grandfathered plan they require you to add tethering to truly tether otherwise you are running the risk of them cancelling you) which comes out to $110/month, without a corporate discount. With a corporate discount its $95.

Aw so sad you have to pay $30 extra so you can use your mobile connection as a regular internet connect leaving the possibility of ruing the connection of other paying customers.

MovieLover76

1 recommendation

reply to Ark

Re: What obligation?

It doesn't hurt the people on modern plans, they pay the same and get same amount of data whether or not those unlimited users exist.

The reason the cell carriers grandfather users is mostly industry habit. They've done it for so long that no carrier is willing to take the leap and force users to change packages.

Getting a customer signed up costs a lot more than retaining the same customer for years and years, that's why mobile operators focus on churn rate. Nothing will produce churn faster than calling current customers who are paying your bill reliabily each month without a second thought, and telling them oh by the way plans changed and you have to pay more now.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to 78036364

actually Verizon was sued for this and lost against the FCC for tethering - »www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to-pay···ng-apps/

As long as Verizon uses the 700Mhz band, I should be able to tether for free. That was part of the open access provisions of the wireless spectrum auction. But, I'll let Verizon skate in this instance - my company is paying my phone bill anyway.

also, umadbro.jpg at not having unlimited data?

MovieLover76

reply to Deft

Re: only way

I don't remember exactly what they did, but I heard they put a stop to that line switching with unlimited trick.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

Thats the real irony of VZ trying to push us off of unlimited. Between the two of us, we average less than 2Gb per month. We are the desirable low-usage-but-paying-for-unlimited customer.

But it is also because my unlimited on both phones is cheaper than their current pricing for 3Gb shared between us.

That's the point. They want you to pay more money. There's no irony - you're paying less which is not desireable. They'd rather have you pay more and use more.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

1 recommendation

reply to karpodiem
said by karpodiem:

also, umadbro.jpg at not having unlimited data?

It's unwise to feed resident trolls. If you stop feeding them, they'll find another bridge to go camp under. Keep feeding them and they stay indefinitely.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Ark

Re: What obligation?

Because cost ALWAYS goes down, and grandfathered plans as they were are more profitable than the new plans. You will always get a person saying that 20-30GB they use, but a vast majority of folks don't use anywhere near that amount.

In the case of Verizon w. unlimited they are charging you a subsidized rate $20-$30 more per month, so that money just goes into their coffers. Sure some can play tricks to get new sub phones, but that is minor...

Even on 20-30 GB they are not losing money. Verizon employs QoS so that they will let people go crazy but if a sector is saturated and the person is a heavy user they will be reclassified in a lower tier and may see throttling. This would really only be seen in the case of video, and maybe audio. Outside of that, they would know no difference. This is SMART.

AT&T went DUMB and classified the top 5% and hard throttles them which is dumb and effective also, but has bad customer sentiment. They could be on a sector lightly used and still capped. Waste of resources and pisses people off.

As Verizon adds AWS (XLTE) for these "data hogs" to get access they will need a NEW device. So do they cave (many will), or wait it out because to buy a new one will be expensive, or wait 1-2 years (now their phone is 4 years old) for a now used XLTE device in 2016 to become available. People are not that fastidious.

All the while Verizon is shoving prepaid into 3G to ride that pony out, and eventually roll out LTE to prepaid at their own pace. They don't really care, because it's all pure profit.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

reply to karpodiem

said by karpodiem:

my company is paying my phone bill anyway.

DING DING. Post of the day!
--
Splat

AMDGamer

join:2003-10-15
Warren, MI
reply to MovieLover76

Re: only way

I just did this yesterday - still works. Part of the trick is to make sure you activate the new smartphone on the new line, then switch it to your unlimited line - may require a new SIM card though.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
reply to MovieLover76
I've heard of people still doing this so I don't think VZW put anything in place yet. And a CSR on another forum I'm on last week told someone to do it.