dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-25 08:23:33: Verizon has announced that the company will be dropping the $5 monthly fee for the NFL Mobile app, allowing customers to get NFL news and watch games for free -- provided they're on Verizon's MORE Everything shared data plans. ..

page: 1 · 2

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

such sports

Enjoying a meal by myself at a sports bar when all of a sudden lost signal to all the TVs. So I said to everyone come watch the game on my phone. My mom was so proud of how popular I've become.

/s

VicHighway

join:2002-11-13
Hopedale, MA

4 recommendations

I'm on unlimited on VZW...

And I don't care about football! Sorry VZW, this ain't gonna motivate me to drop unlimited!

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

1 recommendation

I am about to drop VZW with Unlimited to get TMO, VZ phone selection is pathetic at least and pain for international travel.

Plus I don't care about NFL, I watch real Football
--
Semper Fi

miwz

@129.253.54.x

hmmm...

This does not appear to be an action taken by a company that is worried about congestion of their airspace.....yet they still cap. Pure money grab.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Slingbox? If you insist on watching sports on a 4" screen

Yes, please sign me up to drop my unlimited data plan so I can watch a few football games on the go! Nevermind that when I do decide to watch sports, I prefer to watch it on a 65" screen fed by a full HD OTA signal, or at least off of an HD cable station if the former is impossible. Watching sports on a small screen is just asinine. I'll go down to the old hole in the wall pub that still has 36" CRTs to watch a game if absolutely need be before I'll be watching it on a 4.5" phone LCD.

But if for some reason I positively need my sports fix on the go, there's this thing called a Slingbox, and even without giving up my unlimited data plan I can watch anything I want, not just NFL. Anyone who moves off of unlimited to tiered just to watch some football games deserves to lose their unlimited data plan. It's a tax on the stupid.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Leads the industry

They only lead the industry in getting people off of unlimited because they have exactly one competitor in that arena, and AT&T isn't forcing people off of unlimited to upgrade their handsets. So yes, of course, Verizon is again a trailblazer in anti-consumer tactics. What a shocker!

Anyone with Verizon who can't do the math and realize that even purchasing full-price unsubsidized handests still saves you money over a tiered data plan, again, deserves what Verizon is servicing them with.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY

1 recommendation

TV Ad

Those XLTE Hero commercials are hilarious, because they don't show you the guy streaming the "big game" on his tablet afterwards when he sees his bill!!

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY
reply to Tomek

Re: I'm on unlimited on VZW...

If you live outside of a major metro area, you might not be happy with the service. That test-drive for 7 days might be a good bet.

juicem2

join:2006-03-05
Mastic Beach, NY

doesn't pay to lose unlimited for 5 bucks savings

if anyone was that interested in the nfl app and wanted to stay on unlimited they can just pay the $5 monthly fee. That is nothing as opposed to losing unlimited. I'll be hanging on to unlimited for dear life as long as possible. I've been fortunate enough to still get the subsidized pricing and keep unlimited with the dumb phone on my plan trick.For those of you with family share plans still on unlimited if you don't know what i'm talking about Google it.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
They supposedly closed that loophole about 6 months back.

Their corporate plans are much better than personal ones, and so is the service level.

For the kids, prepaid, but for us we both have VZ corporate ones that cost much less than any unlimited plan, assuming I don't rack up 30GB. I happily gave up my unlimited, and if I have a new job where they don't give me a phone it certainly won't be w/ Verizon and would be prepaid.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to VicHighway

Sorry to say VZW will start to throttle soon if you are on congested tower and used 4.7gb or more.

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA

Shame on us

So apparently We aren't exceeding our cap (why would we?) so now they are trying to entice us to go over.

I can see it now, Joe Shmoe who needs to be football connected will happily watch the game on the go, not realizing how much data he is consuming every Thursday, Sunday, Monday....until the first bill comes.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

Verizon: "Yes, by all means stream the game..."

Let's assume a rate of 600kbps = .6Mbps

Assume a game lasts for a duration of:
3600s/hr for a 3hr game = 10,800 seconds

So .6 megabits streaming for 10,800 seconds. However, those are bits, not bytes:

So .6Mbps * 10,8000 seconds / 8 bit to byte conversion factor =
810MB of consumption

Funny... as long as you're paying on the meter, Verizon doesn't have a congestion problem.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to broadbandmav

I had TMO before and was relatively satisfied.
--
Semper Fi

tomek2

@69.170.27.x
reply to broadbandmav
Most people live in a metro area. Those that dont have another carrier anyways

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to patt2k
You may want to read the 2 articles and then come back here and correct yourself.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to VicHighway
said by VicHighway:

And I don't care about football! Sorry VZW, this ain't gonna motivate me to drop unlimited!

I'm didn't read where this was designed to get unlimited data customers off unlimited data. Because if Verizon actually wanted to do that they could just kill it right now if they wished.

USA
reply to tomek2
said by tomek2 :

Most people live in a metro area. Those that dont have another carrier anyways

So fuck everyone else? what if 25% of the US didn't have electricity? We'd be 3rd world.

USA
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Verizon: "Yes, by all means stream the game..."

said by IPPlanMan:

Let's assume a rate of 600kbps = .6Mbps

Assume a game lasts for a duration of:
3600s/hr for a 3hr game = 10,800 seconds

So .6 megabits streaming for 10,800 seconds. However, those are bits, not bytes:

So .6Mbps * 10,8000 seconds / 8 bit to byte conversion factor =
810MB of consumption

Funny... as long as you're paying on the meter, Verizon doesn't have a congestion problem.

ever hear of wi-fi? it's this amazing new technology.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to clone

Re: Slingbox? If you insist on watching sports on a 4" screen

You can certainly do that... Right up until you're considered to be in the top 5% of users and on what Verizon considers to be a "congested" tower.

Your Slingbox won't make a difference.

USA
reply to miwz

Re: hmmm...

said by miwz :

This does not appear to be an action taken by a company that is worried about congestion of their airspace.....yet they still cap. Pure money grab.

then go with another carrier. geesh.

USA
reply to Ammler

Re: Shame on us

said by Ammler:

So apparently We aren't exceeding our cap (why would we?) so now they are trying to entice us to go over.

I can see it now, Joe Shmoe who needs to be football connected will happily watch the game on the go, not realizing how much data he is consuming every Thursday, Sunday, Monday....until the first bill comes.

if Joe Shmore is so stupid that A) he's never heard of wi-fi and B) he doesn't know how much data he's using. he deserves to get billed overages.

It never ceases to amaze me by how many people support customers being ignorant instead of insisting they empower themselves by actually knowing a bit about the technology they use. I support empowering people.

USA
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

Sorry to say VZW will start to throttle soon if you are on congested tower and used 4.7gb or more.

If a tower is congested by it's very nature you're going to see your connection slowed down.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to 78036364

Oh I've heard of it.

»www.verizonwireless.com/news/art ··· one.html

This is restricted to More Everything customers, WiFi or not. Did you miss that?

USA
said by IPPlanMan:

Oh I've heard of it.

»www.verizonwireless.com/news/art ··· one.html

This is restricted to More Everything customers, WiFi or not. Did you miss that?

Yes and? Then get on More Everything. 55% of Verizon's customers are on More Everything anyway. The complaint was about how much data it would use. Using wi-fi means it uses ZERO GB of my data.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
And using it over WiFi with an unlimited data plan means you would use zero data as well. So what's your point?

USA
said by IPPlanMan:

And using it over WiFi with an unlimited data plan means you would use zero data as well. So what's your point?

A) the rules are you must be on More Everything. More Everything does not have an unlimited data option. Eventually More Everything will be the only option.

B) If you're on unlimited data you're less likely to use wi-fi even when it's available. Thus hogging up network resources. If your electricity was all you could use for one price would you care if your appliances where energy efficient or if you left all the lights on 24/7? Nope.

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to 78036364

Re: Shame on us

Oh trust me I don't support ignorant customers either. You signed a contract, now pay up. I don't care you weren't aware your game was eating data.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to 78036364

I understand those are the rules and it's been clear for some time Verizon is turfing unlimited data.

That argument is a real stretch. Nothing is stopping Sprint or T-Mobile customers from streaming unlimited data... Those networks seem to be doing just fine.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Mrs Lady

@158.65.9.x
reply to 78036364

Re: hmmm...

Good idea! Oh wait, Verizon has a monopoly in the mobile market...