spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-25 13:35:48: Several years back Verizon implemented what they call "network optimization" for their 3G network, though their LTE network wasn't impacted. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

5 recommendations

Unlimited get throttled around 5GB, but...

If you pay us more money for a shared plan that allows more than 5GB, we will not throttle you. Again, just a plain money grab!!

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit

hmm

i thought they already did this
also everyone should use more data to make the top 5% of users more than 4.7gb
still better to face slower speeds. on a congested tower you will have slow speeds reguardless if your being "optimized" or not
personally me being on an unlimited data plan i think i am ok with this. im at 16 gigs 10 days into my billing cycle, most of it is streaming stuff that doesnt really require a lot of bandwidth per second, just lots of data over time

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

I see their point

whether this is an appropriate method to handle network congestion is something I won't take a side on but do I see the distinction they are trying to make

if they throttled your connection, they would be limiting it down to some fixed rate

in this instance, they are simply not making your packets a priority. The end result will be a lower performance in terms of throughput, but not all the time. Only when the two conditions are met and then only when you are transferring data and someone gets ahead of you in the queue.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

1 recommendation

Holy OVERSELLING Batman

Selling people a LTE connection and users that are near 5 gigs are a problem worth dealing with.

That is some seriously oversold bandwidth.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to videomatic3

Re: hmm

They already did this and now extend to LTE because it is loaded. Not sure why this is some internet news... This is COMMON SENSE traffic management.

And this article is blown WAY out of proportion. It clearly says that one would be optimized only if a sector gets congested, and it further goes on to talk about video optimization, which by the TOC could theoretically mean if one is sitting on video stream all day, it gets video optimized even if on a non-congested sector which makes sense. That way adaptively they don't feel slighted and provide a consistent experience. Really when we are talking about "big data" users we are talking about video. The rest is relative noise. Even audio is easily handled.

I don't see anything that is tyrannical in the FAQ or explanation at all, compared to AT&T hard caps this is a dream. And if I were managing the network that is how I would do it too.

In fact, Verizon could have simply said, no more unlimited when they are out of contract, but they didn't. Give them some credit for doing this intelligently.

Caveat - I think Verizon is expensive, but having equipment from all 4 vendors in my house, I can say without a doubt Verizon and TMO does the best network management. TMO is the fastest by far, only issue is WHEN I can get a good 4G signal. Verizon just blankets the NE....

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

F***!

F***!

I guess this is the beginning of the end for my unlimited data?

F***!

My monthly cost would almost double if I switched from unlimited to one of their current plans.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

4 recommendations

reply to ropeguru

Re: Unlimited get throttled around 5GB, but...

Yup. AT&T pulled this same crap for its Unlimited Plans by initially throttling the top 5% of data users progressively until the the throttling level actually dropped below the actual tiered data plans being offered instead. However, if you were willing to pay more, you could get more "unthrottled" data before you hit a cap. After an uproar, it changed to 3GB for 3G devices and 5GB for 4G devices before "throttling".

Congestion my @$$.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

elefante72

East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to buzz_4_20

Re: Holy OVERSELLING Batman

Wrong. Take two people:

Joe - He watches movies every night from 3-5 AM on the night shift and does 90 GB per month.

Sally - Watches youtube clips on her train ride home at 5:30PM every day and uses 1 GB in the month.

Which one do you think is impacting the network more? SALLY.

Its not about bits, its about WHEN you use the bits. The ENTIRE fallacy of usage caps in action...

And not some theory, look at Canada for TPIA (LEC in US). Their ENTIRE bill for the month is based upon the MAXIMUM usage at any point in the month. THATS IT (UBB - Usage based billing). In fact many allow zero caps on upload and no caps in the morning hours, because it DOESN'T MATTER to the operator--because the network is sized for maximum.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

So way push wholesale caps when it's not the true root of the problem?
Why not have daytime/nighttime bits then?

elefante72

East Amherst, NY

Ask Verizon or AT&T that. There are theories on user behavior modification if one imposes hard caps w/penalties (more $$$)--that are very effective, or simply to make more money. However capped plans have a weak correlation to the network capacity issue because they are not reflective of temporal capacity.

The problem is the same in any network. Capacity, speed, latency.

NLiveris

join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

Shitty

Funny how the "scarcity" of bandwidth and spectrum instantly disappear when we pay companies like VZ more money.

I'm still on VZ unlimited using a total lag infested piece of horsecrap Droid Razr Maxx from 2012. I usually consume under 2GB each month but still dislike the idea of that arbitrary limit. For me it seems unfathomable that browsing web sites or streaming a couple hours of radio every day could possibly result in a even more expensive bill. Monitoring your data usage seems so damn silly. Who has time for all that shit? Remember when Hotmail had a 2MB limit on the capacity of their inbox? That wasn't too many years ago. And that's what the 2GB limit for LTE personally feels like to me.

I think it's so stupid that downloading 4.7 GB a month on a phone is considered by Verizon to be a problem.

Throttling, locking, blocking competing apps, insane SMS prices, toll bridge networks, hidden monthly charges, forced bloatware that always runs, updates that always make your phone slower etc, etc. Verizon is evil like Mr. Burns. And why is Verizon's logo on the front of my phone? It makes no sense to me. Imagine if Comcast forced you to put their logo on the front panel of your computer's case?

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

the main point that was overlooked...

Knowing how Verizon and ATT play the game when I read this part of there statement...

" your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Once you are no longer connected to a site experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day."

I walked away with this in my mind....

An upper management memo to customer service and tech support staff...
" EVERY LTE site is under constant demand 24/7 according to us, so let the puppets believe what they want, when ANYONE calls in to complain about there speeds after we have throttled them this is the story that we are going to script to tell EVERY customer, YOUR TOWER IS JUST UNDER DEMAND, sorry for the inconvenience, thank you for calling verizon wireless, Goodbye. "

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
reply to NLiveris

Re: Shitty

said by NLiveris:

And why is Verizon's logo on the front of my phone?

Lets say you out and out buy a samsung galaxy s5 it will run you around 700. Getting it from your carrier could be any where from 400 down to zero (no such offer yet but there will be in a few months time) That logo and that carrier lock is why you can get a expensive phone for the price of a cheap kyrocera or the like.

BTW netbooks (hate the things) use to be offered by both carriers and isps for next to nothing or you could buy unbranded for 300+. So while comcast may not have done it other isps infact did offer a computer for cheap for having their branded unit.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..

Looks like Verizon is breaking FCC rules again

They have been doing this for some time if you used a lot. It would sometimes follow you into the next billing cycle as well.

Verizon said they weren't throttling, yea right and now they have just made the intent public.

If the FCC had a back bone they would throw the book at them on the 700mhz C-block rules.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to elefante72

Shouldn't Joe get back to work?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to elefante72

"It clearly says that one would be optimized only if a sector gets congested,"

If that's the case then why would your billing cycle have anything to do with it? Perhaps it's for the remainder of the billing cycle for that sector? If I hit my allotment on that sector but go across town and connect to an uncongested site will the throttling follow me?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to elefante72

Only makes sense if they are also throttling users who don't have unlimited and are going over 4.7GB / month.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16

heh

not saying I am liking this I don't have unlt but!

I like that it will stop the abuse .. people showing off using 200-500GB using their phones.

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state
reply to why60loss

Re: Looks like Verizon is breaking FCC rules again

I think this is America's punishment for the consumer outrage over Verizon's plans to skirt net neutrality rules.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to novaflare

said by novaflare:

That logo and that carrier lock is why you can get a expensive phone for the price of a cheap kyrocera or the like.

That's all well and good but if I'm paying the full $700 for the phone I don't want their crap on it. Sadly you get it regardless of what you paid.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

One wonders how Verizon would feel if customers....

Click for full size
from akamia 2014
.... stopped whining and recognized the cause of increasing prices.
usage increasing at 15% per quarter.
could your national network keep up on a 2010 budget?

bkoeni1
The Ends Of Invention
Premium
join:2000-12-13
Fort Worth, TX
Reviews:
·Charter

Leading Me To The Wrong Conclusion ...

Doing this in the manner described would lead me to the conclusion that their network was unreliable. Sometimes I would have a really great experience and other times a really bad experience. I would naturally blame it all on the Verizon network and complain to my friends and acquaintances about how bad Version service is. Version should re-think their strategy here.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to battleop

I think you missed the part where that was his job.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to aaronwt

Re: F***!

that's the idea.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to tshirt

Re: One wonders how Verizon would feel if customers....

that's not the users problem. Carriers are supposed to provide what the customers want.
--
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to novaflare

The S5 is $649 regardless of how you buy it. Pay straight up, finance it over 2 years or buy it on their Edge program.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to ArrayList

You can't tell him that. It is not in the best interest of himself nor the people he represents.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to Jim Kirk

What happens now, is that unlimited users who use more than 4.7gb are effectively deprioritized, higher paying customer's get higher priority. Like a MetroPCS (mvno) customer on T-mobile.
Really it's always been like that on all carriers.

houghe9

join:2008-02-27
Lexington Park, MD
reply to tshirt

if that was really a problem what sense does it make to lock people in on 2 year plans? unless...you continue to make money on these people...a lot of money...

oh wait lock people in for 2 years and then i know what my operating budget will be and can plan for 2 years ahead. your point is invalid.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Hah, no biggie

The cell sites I use now are lucky to get 2Mbps/sec at any given time. Doubt i would notice.

And VZW has a couple of unlimited plans for those on old school minute plans. I wonder if it impacts the one used for corporate email/vpn? Or both? Or what.