spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-31 17:36:18: Sprint-owned Virgin Mobile has launched new wireless plans that have network neutrality supporters up in arms because the plans charge users depending on what kind of content and services they hope to access. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Armageddon

The End is near, repent !!!!

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

What is the point?

"Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram" - not exactly high bandwidth sites, like netflix or any of the other streaming services. Why would any pay a premium to have only those sites exempt from caps?

Kuro

@75.151.50.x
For the illusion that they are saving money. I would be more interested in is if it gives warning if you click a link through facebook and leave the uncapped area.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI
reply to Camelot One
because non-technical users understand apps, not data limits. while streaming video on mobile phones is nice, its largely a luxury from a delivery standpoint.

by the way - does the NFL streaming that comes free with postpaid Verizon count against your data limit? I'm guessing no.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Social Package $0

This was predicted already.

»www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/ ··· trality#.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Didn't think Sprint could get any worse...

I was so wrong. Go to hell with your T-Mobile purchase, Son. I will drop them in a heartbeat if you take over and I got the spare phones to do it seamlessly. Tiered content based on website? Let's club this horse to death before it gets to the races. Like I give a rat's ass about social networking hahaha. If it were my only internet sites it would have the same effect as locking me in a room forcing me to listen to Justin Bieber-slitting my throat. So I guess you need the premium tiers for sites not like Jerry Springer and that respect your privacy

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Camelot One

Re: What is the point?

Probably because they don't know any better. For some people, they'll assume that, since they visit these sites a lot, they'll consume lots of data, so they'll believe that this exemption will help them.

Another possibility is that they know they'll likely burn through their "regular" data before the month is up, so they want to continue to have access to these sites after their data gets cut off for the month.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to Selenia

Re: Didn't think Sprint could get any worse...

if it saves people money and it gives them what they want, I don't see this being stopped.

the open internet won't decline because of peering disagreements, it will suffer from sponsored data.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Scary for us who actually use our computers and mobile devices for something constructive. I see people using things exclusively for Facebook and Twitter crap. What a waste of money for a device with the power to accomplish so much more.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Who cares?

Even if i could find reason to support "neutrality", unless there is a miracle at Sprint courtesy of Softbank, their historical performance will render any and all of their service offerings worthless, as would any attempt at "neutral" operation. It makes no difference.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

I was so wrong. Go to hell with your T-Mobile purchase, Son. I will drop them in a heartbeat if you take over and I got the spare phones to do it seamlessly. Tiered content based on website?

Err..T-Mobile does the same thing with music services. Where is your outrage there? This is also on the Virgin side of things. That customer base lives on those sites.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to Selenia
yep. it's the future and there is very little we can do to stop it. content delivery and infrastructure will change to the content desires of the majority, because that's where money is to be made.

CST

@76.103.77.x

Ting, but worse

So, basically copying Ting, but with a bunch of bad twists...

BIGMIKE
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Blythe, CA

2 recommendations

reply to Camelot One

The Consumer, Stupid!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to swintec

I never said I approve of T-Mobile's idea but seeing as I have unlimited prepaid at a decent price with good speed and customer service from them for any site, I have no reason to move right now. Still it is a far cry from tiers based on websites even though was a slippery slope to crap like this. As I said club this horse now before your cable or fiber company gets this idea then charges 3x as much for access to sites outside their lists. TV tiers are bad enough.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by Selenia:

I never said I approve of T-Mobile's idea but seeing as I have unlimited prepaid at a decent price with good speed and customer service from them for any site, I have no reason to move right now

So you have strong opinions against it all but sell them out for a couple of perks?

If Sprint bought T-Mobile everything would stay the same for the foreseeable future...what would be the problem with staying then? The new deal between the two would include a boat load of international roaming among other things..is that enough to get you to sell yourself out then?
--

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
Sprint's awful network quality that is still last place. Selling out? You serious? First off, their new plan does not affect me unless they stop offering unlimited at a reasonable price. My data plan has no exemption for music sites because it is unlimited, period. If I went back to AT&T, I would not only be capped, but subject to sponsored data. At Verizon, more evil than I care to list in this post from billing shenanigans on up, along with caps. So I see it like voting for president, choosing the least of the evils.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to karpodiem

streaming youtube is not a luxury. It's a staple of the Internet.
--
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

Selling out? You serious? First off, their new plan does not affect me unless they stop offering unlimited at a reasonable price

Right, but you are still supporting the companies decisions by being a customer of theirs.
--

PlusOne

@69.142.79.x
reply to karpodiem
said by karpodiem:

if it saves people money and it gives them what they want, I don't see this being stopped.

My sisters and a couple nieces use their cellphones for 3 things:
Facebook; texting; and the very occasional voice call and Google search.

If they can find a plan that gives them that for $30/MO and no worries about data usage caps, they will be thrilled.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
Fort Smith, AR
reply to swintec
The same would be true if I was a customer of the others I listed and what they do, which goes way beyond my list for the big 2. As I said least of the evils unless we go back to a day a business person can live without a cell phone. I am happy with a wifi only tablet but can't live with wifi only calls and texts.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

stupid ideas recylce, get used to it

Sprint really knows how to recylce stupid ideas. This is no better when Verizon tried to sell streaming tv services over 3g about 9-10 years ago. Customers want cheap fast & reliable data.. since everyone can get phone & text over ip... However, it seems no company wants to go first in offering just that cheap.

What was those sayings..
you can get only two of the three...

cheap and low quality
expensive and high quality
mid grade and best effort (plus a whole lot of upsell)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

5 recommendations

reply to Kuro

said by Kuro :

For the illusion that they are saving money. I would be more interested in is if it gives warning if you click a link through facebook and leave the uncapped area.

Reminds me of the old days of AOL. Click on just the right link, and a pop-up warns you that you are leaving the "Free" AOL zone and billing will begin per minute until you disconnect and re-connect.

RMH

@71.179.80.x
reply to swintec

Not true, I get music for free on the same old plan i had. It's a perk now not an additional service. I didn't choose that option nor did i had to change/add/delete any payment option or site(s) preference. in fact starting today my 4 line family plan is 16% cheaper.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to ArrayList

agreed... wth is caps for if they do this stuff?

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to PlusOne

why not tmobile in that instance.. heck why not the 30 bucks plan, 5gb of highspeed data unlimited txt.. and 100 mins.. plus you can do whatever u want

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX

...hmm

for some applications i can see this working for a very few amount of people.. example.. if someone just wants music streaming for whatever dog gone reason its great i guess.. im gonna stick to my 5gb $30 bucks a month tmobile plan as long as I can

Responsible

@69.142.79.x
reply to Cobra11M

said by Cobra11M:

why not tmobile in that instance.. heck why not the 30 bucks plan, 5gb of highspeed data unlimited txt.. and 100 mins.. plus you can do whatever u want

That is what they have. A T-Mobile cheapie family plan.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
Detroit, MI
reply to ArrayList

youtube can then be treated as a 'channel'

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to karpodiem
said by karpodiem:

by the way - does the NFL streaming that comes free with postpaid Verizon count against your data limit? I'm guessing no.

You'd be guessing wrong. it does. that's why you use wi-fi.