dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-01 08:57:21: Back in January we were the first to report that Comcast was again doubling speeds on many of its tiers, starting first with the company's Midwest division. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

R7000
@69.142.79.x

R7000

Anon

Real world results from S.NJ to Northern Delaware

I had Blast tier and when Comcast upgraded my area these are the results I typically get. And the results below are thru an in-home WiFi connection:

Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Comcast website still show the old speeds

I went onto Comcast.com and it still show the old speed. Performance is still listed as 25 and Blast still listed as 50.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to R7000

MVM

to R7000

Re: Real world results from S.NJ to Northern Delaware

said by R7000 :

I had Blast tier and when Comcast upgraded my area these are the results I typically get. And the results below are thru an in-home WiFi connection:

"Ping: 11 ms"
"Server: Newcastle, DE - Distance: 5450 mi"

Wow, that's an excellent Ping time for that distance!

R7000
@69.142.79.x

R7000

Anon

said by telcodad:

said by R7000 :

LOL. Bug in the testing software when the system connects using IPV6, the distance calculation is always wrong. I guess the location database used by OOKLA can't handle IPV6 addresses.
R7000

R7000 to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad

Re: Real world results from S.NJ to S.Calif

said by telcodad:

Distance from S.NJ to S.Calif shows 7950 miles.
Subtract (7950-5450=2500 miles) and it looks like the software adds about 5400 miles to distance for all IPV6 calculations.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Cool! Sort of.

I consistently got 30/6 and now I am getting 56/6

Maybe patience is called for on my part

Blob

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Speed Upgrades also to parts of Kansas and Missouri

Comcast is confirming/clarifying all this now:

Comcast Confirms Broadband Speed Hikes
Raises Speeds In Parts Of California, Kansas, Missouri and Texas

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - August 1, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/382900

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

That is correct, I in Independence MO and a few friends around KC on both sides of the state line have got the free upgrade.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Comcast has issued an official press release on it now:

Comcast Increases Internet Speeds in California, Kansas, Missouri and Texas
Xfinity Internet Performance Tier Doubles to 50 Mbps, Blast Tier Doubles to 105 Mbps and Extreme Tier Moves from 105 Mbps to 150 Mbps
Comcast Press Release, Business Wire - August 1, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· Missouri
quote:
Comcast has increased the speeds of three Xfinity Internet tiers: “Performance” now offers speeds up to 50 Mbps, up from 25 Mbps; “Blast” is now 105 Mbps, up from 50 Mbps; and “Extreme 105” has been bumped to 150 Mbps. The changes impact all California customers (except those in Santa Cruz, Los Gatos, Scotts Valley, Isleton, Lodi and Rio Vista), as well as those in the Olathe, KS, Independence, MO, and Houston, TX markets.
:
For most customers, the speed increases will go into effect automatically over the next few days but for those who want more immediate access, they can simply re-start their modem. The company will notify those customers who may need to upgrade their Comcast hardware to receive the increased speeds.

Megahurtz
join:2002-11-20
Deerfield, IL

Megahurtz

Will this upgrade be tied to triple play packages? That press release is somewhat ambiguous about that.

I have Blast 50mbit bundled with whatever the lowest tier of SD cable is (mainly just local channels, also not a "double play" bundle), but I didn't get the speed upgrade when they upgraded the Chicago area. Looking through the thread in the Comcast forum, it seems the upgrades have only been for triple play customers.

R7000
@69.142.79.x

R7000

Anon

said by Megahurtz:

Will this upgrade be tied to triple play packages? That press release is somewhat ambiguous about that.

I have Blast 50mbit bundled with whatever the lowest tier of SD cable is (mainly just local channels, also not a "double play" bundle), but I didn't get the speed upgrade when they upgraded the Chicago area. Looking through the thread in the Comcast forum, it seems the upgrades have only been for triple play customers.

I have Blast and never had the triple play. And I don't have any TV premium channels, just the TV pkg 1 above basic. And I was automatically upgraded to faster speeds of 105/10 on my Blast Internet tier.
NLiveris
join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

NLiveris

Does that upload speed seem weak?

Only 10 up but 150 down? Huh? That seems arbitrarily low. Why not 75Mbps upload or at the very least 30Mbps up.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

I agree, the download speeds are good but the upload needs work. Cable companies need to increase the upload.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Wow!

A Comcast story without a single negative comment.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

Nice upgrade

Going from usually around 28 Mbps to 50 Mbps is a nice upgrade. In the time we had AT&T I never remember them boosting a speed tier. I haven't performed a speed test while hooked directly up to the Wireless Gateway yet. My Nexus 7 gets around 37 Mbps.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to battleop

MVM

to battleop

Re: Wow!

said by battleop:

Well, I think you can take "customers in upgraded markets will need to reboot their modems for the upgrades to take effect" as a bit of a complaint.

Actually, the press release says:
quote:
For most customers, the speed increases will go into effect automatically over the next few days but for those who want more immediate access, they can simply re-start their modem.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by telcodad:

said by battleop:

Well, I think you can take "customers in upgraded markets will need to reboot their modems for the upgrades to take effect" as a bit of a complaint.

Actually, the press release says:
quote:
For most customers, the speed increases will go into effect automatically over the next few days but for those who want more immediate access, they can simply re-start their modem.

I sure wasn't complaining after the Wireless Gateway finished rebooting and I ran a speed test.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to telcodad

to telcodad
I wasn't referring to the comments after the story but in the story.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by battleop:

I wasn't referring to the comments after the story but in the story.

Yes, that was Karl's last statement in his story.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown

Re: Comcast website still show the old speeds

And just like the cox boosts, upload rates aren't moving.
svatant
join:2014-07-31
USA

svatant

comcast speed upgrade, CA

Click for full size
city: Antioch
state: CA
speed upgraded for blast tier from 50mbps to 100mbps
doughnet
join:2002-03-22
Newark, CA

doughnet

dual bond

anyone know if it's possible to get 2x comcast packages to your house and dual wan/bond to achieve 2x the speeds?
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy

I'm certainly not complaining

Click for full size
Was on the 50 blast tier and was getting 55. Rebooted my modem 10 minutes ago and am now getting 120

sonior panda
@69.181.143.x

sonior panda

Anon

50/12 doubled

the speed in mountain view ca was doubled for the 50/10 plan to 105/15
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to battleop

to battleop

Re: Wow!

said by telcodad:

except those in Santa Cruz, Los Gatos, Scotts Valley, Isleton, Lodi and Rio Vista

bah humbug!
markh31
join:2004-01-09
Katy, TX

markh31

Katy TX

Had been getting 100/20 Mbps. Restarted modem this afternoon and now getting 166.5/20 Mbps (using speedtest.net and Dallas as the server point). Looks like a real increase in download speed here in Katy.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

Re: Comcast website still show the old speeds

It's just the same with Time Warner Cable for some tiers for upload.

Jayct
@50.176.205.x

Jayct

Anon

Looks Like Its here in CT

Crom
@67.188.160.x

Crom

Anon

California East bay (Orinda, Lafayette, Moraga)?

I am currently have Blast plus which is 50/10 but so far no speed increase in my area

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

A second upgrade?

I'm in Florida, and last year we got the bump from 25 to 50 Mbps... however upload is at 2.56 which isn't even listed on their tiers.

Does this mean I'll eventually get bumped from 50 to 105 Mbps?? If they do that, but leave the upload at that paltry 2.56 I will have to call and complain.
page: 1 · 2 · next