spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-05 17:47:20: In a notice of inquiry issued today, the FCC formally asked whether the agency should increase the minimum standard definition from the current mark of 4 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Soup

@73.160.110.x

EU says 3G and LTE meet broadband definition; why not US too?

EU says 3G and LTE meet broadband definition; why not US too? EU & US are always being compared. So lets use EU definitions so we can compare apples to apples.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

asking who?

ISP's or their Customers

IMHO if you can't stream 1080p 30fps,
you are not on a broadband connection.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
said by Packeteers:

ISP's or their Customers

IMHO if you can't stream 1080p 30fps,
you are not on a broadband connection.

Guess I didn't have broadband on Time warner cable standard internet then. I know I sure couldn't upload such a video in a day without waiting over night to maybe upload a video in 720P/1080P that was 10min long.

Oh and I couldn't even do 480p on Netflix/youtube so yea TWC didn't give me broadband all right.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to Packeteers
Upload needs to be upped also. I would loved to upload a 1080p. Maybe even a 4k video before I die. 860Kbps upload blows.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

3 recommendations

Caps probably matter more than the speed

In today's notice, the FCC said it was also fielding comments on whether wireless is a "functional equivalent" for fixed broadband, and whether it should include usage caps when comparing offerings from different carriers.

As Verizon looks to hang up on users with copper, the cap is a critical point. I really don't care if data is delivered to me by copper, fiber, or wireless as long as it performs well. It must:

1) Meet or exceed my current speed offering in upload / download ("mbps")
2) Be reasonably close (within 30ms) of the previous service's gateway ping time
3) Meet or exceed my current data allotment. A service capped at 10GB is not a proper substitute for unlimited ADSL service.
4) Must not be subject to throttling or "network management" that would not be otherwise exerted on a typical wireline customer. Unlimited wireline should not be substituted with unlimited wireless that throttles down to 128kbps after 10GB.
5) Meet or exceed performance in terms of uptime and peak hour congestion.

For voice service:

1) Must be able to make a data connection for faxes, TiVos, alarms, satellite receivers.
2) Must have clear, garble-free voice communication
3) Must operate in an emergency.

As for increasing the speeds that define "broadband", what difference does it make? To make people who can't get 10mbps feel worse about it? None of the providers seem to be being held to that standard, so I'm not sure what the point is. But sure, increase it to 10/2.

PacWe097

@174.21.232.x

1 recommendation

Saying 10mbps stifles competition.

Would like to see the speeds (actual throughput) be based on standards, say from the MPEG consortium or a new federal agency called the Consumer Online Connection Agency which budget and oversight and more importantly teeth to heavily penalize ISPs for not meeting obligations.

High speed today isn't tomorrow's high speed. Dolby Labs is improving audio and video and looking at 12bit vs 10bit which is going to increase broadband needs. MPEG is pushing h265 and continues working toward codecs that handle a larger range of pixel density which in turn is going to require more broadband capacity.

Saying 10mbps is high speed is little more than 56k compared to 300 baud modems of old. Technology changes and ISPs need to change with the times (codecs) and usage. The number, the speed, the actual throughput shouldn't be based on a number, but should be usage based on what homeowners, renters and providers are using.

The ISP is just the road and should always be undergoing maintenance and upgrades to accommodate growth.

Putting a fixed number like 10mbps is a joke on homeowners and stifles the next 1gbps rollout.

The ISP is just the road and should always be undergoing maintenance and upgrades to accommodate growth.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

See How Slow Your Internet Connection Is

On the AdWeek site today:

See How Slow Your Internet Connection Is Compared to Other States
Surprise: no one cable provider is the worst
By Sam Thielman, AdWeek - August 5, 2014
»www.adweek.com/news/television/s···e-159303

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

FCC Asks If It Should Raise Minimum Broadband Speed Definition

Yes, it should raise the minimum definition of broadband speed. I was really impressed with the nonsense from Commissioner Michael O’Reilly:

We should perform an honest and straightforward assessment of “whether advanced telecommunications capability is being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable
and timely fashion,” which does not mean whether “each person in every household across America can simultaneously stream video while using Skype during peak hours on weeknights.”

Wrong. The ability for each person in every household to stream video while using Skype is a perfect way to judge if we have ubiquitous advanced telecommunications deployed in the USA.

The commenting system for FCC is horrible. Designed by the worst type of bureaucrats. I intend to comment on this issue on the FCC website, but it may take a few weeks to figure out how to do it.

join:2014-05-06
USA

FCC asks if water is wet

also asked if fire is hot

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to why60loss

Re: asking who?

netflix HD only needs 3000kbps(3mbps), which even the lowest TWC plans offer.

USA
said by Chubbysumo:

Actually Netflix HD is 5 Mbps and it's Super HD is 6 Mbps. Also don't forget you're typically not going to get 100% of your speed especially during prime use hours. Also if you have more than 1 person in the home using the connection that also will effect it. Sorry 2 people in the same household both trying to stream Netflix HD at 8 PM with a 3 Mbps connection? NOT going to happen.

Topmounter
Sent By Grocery Clerks

join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO

Netlix minus "Unlawful COntent"

Broadband is what you get Netflix on. Everything else is "Unlawful Content" and should be blocked.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

Get More Milage from "True" Compitition

Bandwidth based broadband definition wouldn't be necessary if there were adequate "true" competition.

USA
reply to djrobx

Re: Caps probably matter more than the speed

said by djrobx:

Meet or exceed my current data allotment. A service capped at 10GB is not a proper substitute for unlimited ADSL service.

Verizon's Homefusion offer caps higher than 10 GB. Not much more and they are pricy but just clarifying. Also they don't throttle, they charge overages. Satellite throttles but they wouldn't meet your latency requirement.

USA

1 recommendation

reply to NOYB

Re: Get More Milage from "True" Compitition

said by NOYB:

Bandwidth based broadband definition wouldn't be necessary if there were adequate "true" competition.

No one has ever answered how you get "true competition". In what form? Another cable company offering service? Sorry they can do that now. It's just not financially worth investing in the infrastructure. So I'm not sure where you expect this competition to come from.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Packeteers

My 75/75 fios isn't broadband.

Youtube looks like an old propaganda video from the 40s and interrupts like real player.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
that's Verizon.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to 78036364
said by 78036364:

said by Chubbysumo:

Actually Netflix HD is 5 Mbps and it's Super HD is 6 Mbps. Also don't forget you're typically not going to get 100% of your speed especially during prime use hours. Also if you have more than 1 person in the home using the connection that also will effect it. Sorry 2 people in the same household both trying to stream Netflix HD at 8 PM with a 3 Mbps connection? NOT going to happen.

Here is what (downstream) connection speeds Netflix recommends: »help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Streaming problems are rarely due to the speed of the connection to your ISP these days, but the quality/capacity of your ISP's inter-connection link(s) to Netflix's transit providers: »Level3: Verizon Intentionally Causing Netflix Congestion

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today

FCC and big money bag.

Isp's will fill pocket's with big bag's of money.

dmk08809

join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ

1 recommendation

US Govt survey ...

In other news, A US Govt survey released today shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

My 75/75 fios isn't broadband.

Youtube looks like an old propaganda video from the 40s and interrupts like real player.

Beings that you are in the same area as I am, you are likely hitting the Philadelphia Google Global Cache servers. It looks like the hops right before a number of GCC servers are suffering massive packet loss and have been for a few weeks now. ARIN says the hops belong to Verizon.

»Anyone else noticing terrible Google performance? (VZ GGC caching)

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

ADSL

This would put a serious damper in the broadband numbers. This will cut off all those ADSL users lucky enough to get 6 mbps down.
--
The harvest is nigh past, the summer is nigh ended. Are you saved? bibleprophecytruth.com

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to Packeteers

Why limit it to 30 and not 60?

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

2 recommendations

Why bother?

They just call it whatever other buzzword they can think of to avoid the classification anyway.

Bumping broadband up to 4Mbps sure didn't stop Verizon from selling their 3Mb/1Mb 'High Speed Internet'!

USA
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by 78036364:

said by Chubbysumo:

Here is what (downstream) connection speeds Netflix recommends: »help.netflix.com/en/node/306

•5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

Isn't that what I just said?

DHRacer
Tech Monkey

join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA
reply to 78036364

How do you figure? I cannot get two cable companies to both provide service in my neighborhood so does this happen elsewhere? Sure, other cable companies outside of my neighborhood can "compete" on services or pricing comparing themselves to my Cable ISP, but if they aren't available to me to order service from, then it really isn't competition.

--
"No one will believe you solved this problem in one day! We've been working on it for months. Now, go act busy for a few weeks and I'll let you know when it's time to tell them." (R&D Supervisor, Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing /3M Corp.)

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to PacWe097

Re: Saying 10mbps stifles competition.

Also UP to is another issues let's say we have an 100mbps link but you only get that speed late overnight as we have oversubscription

USA
reply to DHRacer

said by DHRacer:

How do you figure? I cannot get two cable companies to both provide service in my neighborhood so does this happen elsewhere? Sure, other cable companies outside of my neighborhood can "compete" on services or pricing comparing themselves to my Cable ISP, but if they aren't available to me to order service from, then it really isn't competition.

Another cable company is not moving in because they would have to spend millions building infrastructure and the return on investment is DECADES away. That is the reason why you don't have 2 cable companies. Oh by the way you want 2 sets of cables being buried in your yard and being attached to you house? How about 3 or 4?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to 78036364

Re: FCC asks if water is wet

Perhaps the question should be what does it matter if a definition is changed.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to bcltoys

Re: FCC and big money bag.

For an irrelevant definition? There's plenty of other real reasons to throw money around and an arbitrary definition doesn't seem to be one of them.