spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-06 09:10:51: It's official: Dan Hesse is out as Sprint CEO. According to a company announcement released this morning, Hesse will be replaced with Sprint board member and Brightstar CEO Marcelo Claure. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

Makes sense

Hesse couldn't sell Sprint to T-Mobile. Marcelo is going to try to build the company.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
I think it was more that Hesse didn't agree with Masayoshi Son, on their forward strategy, so Son found someone that did.

IIRC, Hesse didn't really want to merge with T-Mobile any way, and his lack of drive probably lost him favor with his Softbank bosses.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

2 edits

Network Vision

I don't think Dan fully understood the sorry condition of the Sprint Network and what level of monetary resources were necessary to do a complete rip/replace on a competitively paced schedule. I blame him for that and the people under him that may not been straight up about how lousy things were. I do commend Dan for getting the iPhone deal. Of course, Son may deserve some of the blame as well for not devoting enough resources after the acquisition.

I can tell you this much. There's an iPhone launch event/announcement expected on September 9th.

Sprint still doesn't have LTE officially deployed in DC. Unless this changes in the next month, this means that that Apple will have launched and Sprint will have sold/be selling the iPhone 5, 5s and presumably 6, (over the last two years) without LTE being officially deployed here. Hopeless. You can't be doing that when the other 3 major carriers all have LTE built out here.

Hope this new guy does better. They don't have much time.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
It would be nice if the iPhone 6 supported Spark.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

Stop being short sighted

It's time for Sprint to kill the "Framily" plan and just market a low priced plan with unlimited data (no throttling). They also need to expand the network and quit relying on Verizon. The days of all that 3G roaming are numbered and they need to have their own network in place across rural areas. If Sprint wants to survive they need to be prepared to see massive losses because of the amount of investment that must be taken.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Network Vision

From KC Star..
"Like Son, he suggested that a T-Mobile deal is off the table at least for now. "While consolidating makes sense in the long-term, for now, we will focus on growing and re-positioning Sprint," he said in the announcement."

Yes, put all resources on getting Spark on 100% of towers (not 70% like today), expand rural coverage with partners and they'll be in good shape. I have 100% Spark between home/work and it works great, even in deep underground garages.

existenz

reply to SlowFITL

Re: Stop being short sighted

They have announced rural partners to expand rural coverage, which is probably a good idea. Sprint and Tmobile can partner with a 3rd party and each other to expand coverage w/out merging.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

Maybe expand to Mexico, Central and or South America

Anyone think Softbank may expand buy outside the US. If not south of our border maybe asia africa , etc.
They can get the funding and the world is not just USA.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to existenz

Something tells me those partnerships are nothing but hot air.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by silbaco:

It's all hot air for the most part.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to existenz
said by existenz:

They have announced rural partners to expand rural coverage, which is probably a good idea. Sprint and Tmobile can partner with a 3rd party and each other to expand coverage w/out merging.

They both have terrible coverage. The only way to fix it is to quit being cheap and build the network already.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to nonymous

Re: Maybe expand to Mexico, Central and or South America

said by nonymous:

Anyone think Softbank may expand buy outside the US. If not south of our border maybe asia africa , etc.
They can get the funding and the world is not just USA.

No... They need to spend the money on getting Sprint healthy.

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX
reply to King P

Re: Makes sense

I think it's a marketing move. Hesse will likely remain on the board and Marcelo will be the new face of the company. Dan will still run things behind the scenes for a short time while Marcelo ramps up, and then he'll fully take the reigns.
--
Ali
Check Point Certified Security Expert

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to SlowFITL

The rural carriers may be to have less reliance on Verizon/Altell.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL

Change the name

It's also time to dump the Sprint name due to the negative perception associated with it. Maybe they should just adopt the SoftBank here as well....

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to SlowFITL

said by SlowFITL:

said by silbaco:

It's all hot air for the most part.

How so? The partnership benefits all companies and it leaves T-Mobile out in left field.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Why?

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to SlowFITL
said by SlowFITL:

They also need to expand the network and quit relying on Verizon.

They never said their goal was to have a native network reach of Verizon and they dont pretend at all that they want to.
--

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
said by swintec:

said by SlowFITL:

They never said their goal was to have a native network reach of Verizon and they dont pretend at all that they want to.

The rural carriers with maybe almost native coverage would take care of it also.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to SlowFITL

Re: Maybe expand to Mexico, Central and or South America

The money for Sprint is there. With no Tmobile merger leaves the bank, alibaba money for other expansions. It is not all USA.
Throwing more money at Sprint will only neglibly speed things up. Maybe some small US mergers but still leaves tons of room for globabal expansion somewhere. Still helps the mass buying of network equipment and handsets and doesnt put all the stakes in the US basket.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

said by swintec:

said by SlowFITL:

The rural carriers with maybe almost native coverage would take care of it also.

Well yes. I should have said native native. :P In this case, I meant their own Sprint network built out as far as Verizon which is not at all what they have any interest in doing especially when they have this no-brainer partnership they can take on.

I do think they will make a play for US cellular here at some point though.
--

existenz

reply to SlowFITL

Re: Change the name

I agree with name change but Softbank is an odd name for American ears. Sounds like Financial industry. How about just turning Spark network name into company name.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

It would be nice if the iPhone 6 supported Spark.

I would be nice if Sprint's whole network supported spark and their 800 Mhz frequency.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Mike

Re: Makes sense

Hesse couldn't even build a cardboard box. He was a face of the company and really didn't do anything other than his black and white ads.

If Sprint wants to change and be the company, they need someone that can do it, and a parent company that has no problem giving money and not requiring payback in the terms of a loan. Sprint also needs to start competing on price as TMO and their MVNOs are starting to destroy them.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to toby

They need to get their regular network up and running full LTE before working on Spark.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
I guess I a just fortunate living in Chicago.

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA
reply to existenz

Let's combine the two.

Sprint + Softbank ====== Sank

(or better yet, the past tense ---> SUNK)

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to swintec

No it will be C-Spire at this point, and then sell off their FTTH network to make some extra $$

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to existenz

Can't. WM owns the trademark under Spark.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to existenz
said by existenz:

I agree with name change but Softbank is an odd name for American ears. Sounds like Financial industry. How about just turning Spark network name into company name.

Good idea!