spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-08 09:46:30: Back in April Cox Communications announced that the company would be launching 1 Gbps service of their own sometime this year, though they failed to offer any meaningful specifics about where or when. ..

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR

2 recommendations

Ya gotta start someplace

In the fiber fairyland, every ISP deploys fiber to every one of its customers, urban and rural, simultaneously and immediately, on day one.

But back on Earth, it doesn't work that way. I've said before, I'd prefer the ISPs hold off on these announcements, until they actually start trenching fiber and turn-up service for real, paying customers.

But I assume the reason they make these pre-deployment announcements is to instill FUD in their customers (current or soon-to-be) to keep said customers from signing up for Google.

They gotta start somewhere. With everyone complaining about the lack of fiber, I for one am glad these ISPs are doing something about it (or at least, they say they will do something about it, soon, trust us!).

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
Will Cox use ftth or will coax work.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by nonymous:

Will Cox use ftth or will coax work.

Yes

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to fg8578
said by fg8578:

to instill FUD in their customers (current or soon-to-be) to keep said customers from signing up for Google.

Um, in which cities does Cox and Google compete?

/M

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
I don't think any. Cox is in KC broader region but no KC metro - not in any planned area for Google that I know of (yet).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to fg8578
google fibre - $70/mo
cox' current 150mbps / 20mbps tier = $99/m so as you see they WON'T be competing on price.
--
Despises any post with strings.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

DOCSIS 3.1

DOCSIS 3.1 is needed for 1 Gbit/s to houses over cable. DOCSIS 3.1 is not yet (but almost) certified, and the first head end equipment isn't going to be available until late 2015, with consumer modems being available in 2016.

Cox needs some time to implement and test, so the END of 2016 is a good estimate.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
Good luck with that lol

Kuro

@75.151.50.x

Got a response

Funny how GFiber wanted to get a response of ISPs offering more fiber and all it did was make ISPs make empty promises about fiber.

Mp5a3

@82.221.131.x

1 recommendation

Data caps will probably still remain...

Once they roll gigabit service out, I suspect they will still have arbitrary and extremely low data caps to protect their legacy TV services, as well as not require as many infrastructure upgrades.

The average consumer has no idea that ISPs like Cox even have data caps, and assume they have "unlimited" internet.

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to maartena

Re: DOCSIS 3.1

said by maartena:

DOCSIS 3.1 is needed for 1 Gbit/s to houses over cable. DOCSIS 3.1 is not yet (but almost) certified, and the first head end equipment isn't going to be available until late 2015, with consumer modems being available in 2016.

Cox needs some time to implement and test, so the END of 2016 is a good estimate.

Actually it is the other way around. CPE will be available mid to late 2015. CMTS will be available in 2016 and/or later.

END of 2016 is still quite early.

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to Mp5a3

Re: Data caps will probably still remain...

said by Mp5a3 :

The average consumer has no idea that ISPs like Cox even have data caps, and assume they have "unlimited" internet.

With the usage of 99% of their customer base there is no necessity or justification for caps. It's truly insulting to their customers.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
said by catchingup :

With the usage of 99% of their customer base there is no necessity or justification for caps.

Source?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to catchingup
said by catchingup :

With the usage of 99% of their customer base there is no necessity or justification for caps. It's truly insulting to their customers.

If it's necessary for even one then it must apply to all, if the customers are insulted they should be angry at that 1%+ that is driving ANY increase in the base price.
wheather it be 1%, 5%,10%, or 50% THOSE users should pay for improvements beyond the gradually increasing speed capabilities budgeted for in the base package monthly fees.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
reply to dvd536

Re: Ya gotta start someplace

said by dvd536:

google fibre - $70/mo
cox' current 150mbps / 20mbps tier so as you see they WON'T be competing on price.

Maybe.

It hardly makes sense to spend the money to deploy the fiber then price it so high no one will buy the service. But we'll see.

Would you rather they did nothing?

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to tshirt

Well considering Cox charges more than any other cable company i've ever been with, they should have the $$ to complete a gig rollout, especially considering on my street alone i can count ten fiber lines (yes i said ten) attached to the feeder for my small downtown Phoenix neighborhood.

At this point, it's all node upgrades to DOCSIS 3.1 as they've already put the fiber in place to make it work if they really wanted too.

However, judging how their current network in Phoenix works from past and present experiences, i'll still be sticking with CenturyLink/Dish for years to come as CenturyLink is the only one in my neighborhood that can actually deliver their promised speeds 24/7

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
The Century/Qwest or Cox has always depended on the neighborhood. Though I think by now Cox has the edge most places.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to fg8578

What fibre would that be? the nodes already have fibre ran to them
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to maartena

Oh so this isn't "true FTTH" its still HFC then if its going to run over D3.1[cablemodem] you'll have loaded nodes and it won't be like fios where theres max 32 people on a node with no peak hour slowdowns and 1ms pings.
with 2.4gbps/node you'll almost never get full speed.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to battleop

of course caps will remain. caps aren't about speeds or congestion, its about protecting LEGACY VIDEO revenues. if they make it a wash[with caps] you're less likely to cut the TV portion.
--

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

FTTH or D3.1

I would love to know which markets will see FTTH upgrades to the plant infrastructure and which ones will see DOCSIS 3.1 service. What would be the difference in operating (deployment, maintenance, etc) costs between a DOCSIS 3.1 network and a GPON or Active Ethernet setup?

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

What fibre would that be? the nodes already have fibre ran to them

The fiber that Cox will be rolling out. This new service isn't using coax for the connections to the customer.

catchingup

@135.23.225.x
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

Oh so this isn't "true FTTH" its still HFC then if its going to run over D3.1[cablemodem] you'll have loaded nodes and it won't be like fios where theres max 32 people on a node with no peak hour slowdowns and 1ms pings.
with 2.4gbps/node you'll almost never get full speed.

No, it will be FTTH. They can't use D3.1 when it doesn't exist at the time of roll out.

chrismitt

join:2012-07-09
reply to kv2009

Re: FTTH or D3.1

Sure hope cox deploys to queen creek/san tan valley az or google deploys and give cox and their gay caps a run for their money cox needs some true competition here