dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-12 08:05:31: According to a new report by Experian Marketing Services, "cord-cutters" grew by 44 percent in the past four years, with 7.6 million households using broadband for streaming or downloading videos instead of traditional cable or satellite television. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

Let us downplay to avoid new fees.

I would like to see cable companies continue to downplay cord-cutting because I don't wish to see new fees for those of us who don't subscribe to traditional TV.

Current savings by cutting the cord is 1000 dollars a year, and I want to keep it that way.

Cord cutters are far few and in between as far as I know

why me lord
@66.249.83.x

why me lord

Anon

said by davidc502:

I would like to see cable companies continue to downplay cord-cutting because I don't wish to see new fees for those of us who don't subscribe to traditional TV.

Current savings by cutting the cord is 1000 dollars a year, and I want to keep it that way.

Cord cutters are far few and in between as far as I know

As more and more end the traditional TV subscriptions, the cable companies will start to raise the prices of internet only access accordingly. They will make up the losses of traditional TV subscribers one way or another.

P.S. You are not cutting the CORD. The cable connection to your house is still there unless you went 100% wireless. And obviously you didn't or you wouldn't have saved any money.

syslock
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

syslock to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502
Exactly... My Mohu Sky and Prime are all my family needs. That $1000+ we are savaing a year goes towards other fun things, not dumb TV bundles of junk shows.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to why me lord

Premium Member

to why me lord
said by why me lord :

P.S. You are not cutting the CORD. The cable connection to your house is still there unless you went 100% wireless. And obviously you didn't or you wouldn't have saved any money.

A $110 triple play package with no premiums can easily cost $150+ after taxes and equipment fees. Thats with with promo pricing, after the promos expire they want like $200-$230 a month. All of this isnt even factoring rising tv rates.

Meanwhile, you can easily find an internet connection in most places for around $40-$80 which is a substansial savings.
ajac
join:2000-08-15
Norman, OK

ajac

well

till we start seeing big drops in cable subscribers they wont care about cord cutters. Prices continue to go up data caps still exist and junk packages still are around
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Cord Cutters Think They're Smart

But the reality is they're cheating the system now and will pay later for it.

If the traditional TV bundle fades away, you will see your internet metered like electricity, and pay for it accordingly and the FCC has shown no interest in regulating broadband like a utility.

Also, do you really think Netflix will stay $8/month forever? It's already up to $9 for new subscribers, and every time the content providers have a new deal, they'll want more and more money. They're not giving up their slice of the pie, and many of the same companies are negotiating with both cable/satellite and Netflix.

The reality is eventually we will pay more and get less content with no sports, no local news, no weather, and somehow we'll think this is better? There is no chance the content companies or the cable/satellite companies will allow this current go-around to continue. I expect that as Netflix deals come up for any content provider who has an interest in preserving the traditional model will pull their support, leaving nothing but independent movies and shows nobody wants to watch anyway. And when those negotiations come up with cable/satellite, they will require exclusivity with content, and all that content will need to be authenticated.

Cord cutters are going to be gouged in the future and contribute to an even more corrupted system down the road.

why me lord
@66.249.83.x

why me lord to Frank

Anon

to Frank

Re: Let us downplay to avoid new fees.

said by Frank:

Meanwhile, you can easily find an internet connection in most places for around $40-$80 which is a substansial savings.

Can you? And what connection is that? A DSL connection with 1.5 or 3 mbps downstream? Hardly can stream anything in HD or stream for more than 1 user in a house. If you want good streaming you are connected to CABLE.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Wait until Popcorn Time hits mainstream like Napster

It may take another year but PopcornTime now has Chromecast support and may eventually be as mainstream as Napster. This would force the content industry to change their model, may boost Netflix/Amazon and also ad-based like Hulu/Crackle.

It's still in beta but I imagine once it's at 1.0, it could change the industry. No matter how you slice it, the bundled broadcast cable TV model is so last century and is about to get buried.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to why me lord

Premium Member

to why me lord

I have always consider cord cutting as canceling subscription to cable,satellite,bundles,and telephone lines(AT&T Uverse) in favor of more cheaper access,ala carte options for viewing entertainment.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to why me lord

to why me lord
said by why me lord :

Can you? And what connection is that? A DSL connection with 1.5 or 3 mbps downstream? Hardly can stream anything in HD or stream for more than 1 user in a house. If you want good streaming you are connected to CABLE.

Not sure what you're talking about... but I cut the cord, and went with TDS Fiber Optic network, which I have the minimum speed offered of 50mbps for a little over 50 bucks a month with no data caps.

I have little to complain about.

syslock
Premium Member
La La Land

1 recommendation

syslock to Os

Premium Member

to Os

Re: Cord Cutters Think They're Smart

Os: Technology is always changing. The TV comapnies need to learn from the lessons of the record companies. Adapt or fail. With technology, there will always be an alternative method to receive content like it or not. There are tons of alternative ways to get sports, news, weather without TV. Again... I'm saving over $1000 a year NOT paying for crap spoon fed to me by the current content bundles.

NO to ESPN
@72.5.190.x

NO to ESPN to Os

Anon

to Os
Actually the whole media business is in trouble as the cost to support sports is getting out of control. I went to a restaurant last night and saw a baseball game on a big screen and the stands were pretty empty. I watched because the TV was in front of me and I had no choice. Without ESPN I doubt the team would meet it's budget.

The answer is to tax ESPN.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to existenz

to existenz

Re: Wait until Popcorn Time hits mainstream like Napster

The content providers and cable companies have the lobbyists and legal resources to get rid of anything they don't want, and I don't know why they haven't done more.

Remember what happened to Napster? Streaming video sites with the right lawyers and the right climate will be wiped off the map.

If I owned a cable company, I'd add a $50/month surcharge for any customer having internet only access. What options do they have? DSL? I'd do this before metering and capping.
Os

1 recommendation

Os to syslock

to syslock

Sure, there are ways. And few of them are legal.

And soon, you won't be saving $1000/year. The cable companies will come for you, and you'll be paying more for less. And IMO, you'll deserve it.

And it's time to make piracy a felony too, IMO. That's what many of the cord cutters are doing, going to Pirate Bay and other illegal sites for sports.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to why me lord

Premium Member

to why me lord

said by why me lord :

said by Frank:

fiber

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to ajac

Premium Member

to ajac

Re: well

I don't think cord cutters even care if they care because they have moved on to cheaper ways and are happy and saving money with other options. As far as I'm concerned they can have big drops or double their subscribers it doesn't matter anymore.

syslock
Premium Member
La La Land

syslock to Os

Premium Member

to Os

Sorry you are so bitter. I am not Pirating ANYTHING. I don't have to. I can get sports, news, and weather via the internet, via FM radio... I don't need a pay TV service to get that content and I'm not. I have a life. I don't sit at home in front of my TV much. And when I do, I'm watching legal content of my choosing.
existenz

existenz to Os

to Os

PopcornTime doesn't have a central repository like Napster. Because it's based on torrents, It's distributed by the users. It can't be taken down. I was comparing to Napster in the sense that it hit mainstream users, which will likely happen with PopcornTime, moreso than 'manual' torrenting. Especially since PT is easier to get to TV via Chromecast and probably others ways eventually.

why me lord
@50.7.78.x

why me lord to Frank

Anon

to Frank

And how many on independent fiber, except for FIOS which is just like cable? 1% or 2% nationally. Most switching from cable would be on slow DSL.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

1 recommendation

davidc502 to Os

to Os

said by Os:

And it's time to make piracy a felony too, IMO. That's what many of the cord cutters are doing, going to Pirate Bay and other illegal sites for sports.

What? You want to make copyright infringement a felony? That's too funny! Keep dreaming.
davidc502

davidc502 to Os

to Os

said by Os:

If I owned a cable company, I'd add a $50/month surcharge for any customer having internet only access. What options do they have? DSL? I'd do this before metering and capping.

What's new? Comcast and other ISP's already do that. maybe not 50 bucks a month, but at least 20. It's anti-competitive behavior that should be stopped. Unfortunately there isn't enough teeth in consumer protections by the FCC or other entities. Hence why we pay more and get less than most other countries.
existenz

existenz

I could see ISPs forcing a $70 tier if no TV. Google Fiber is essentially doing the same thing, although they do have the 'free' 5M, which is fast enough for Netflix and most others.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to Os

Premium Member

to Os

Not really smart. Just common sense. Well maybe a little smart.
I cut the cord in the late nineties. Lost my addiction to TV and paying for 200 channels when I was only watching six. Contributed the savings to many shares of AT&T and Comcast.
I'm saving and making money.
I have much more cheaper viewing options and entertainment.
I'm sure it will change and and all of this TV stuff will become cheaper one day.
As for now you and others pay for it and thanks for your support.
I get enough reinvested dividends to pay all of my monthly utility bills if I wish.
If Netflix monthly price goes up higher than I would like I will cancel. Won't be complaining on this forum. Just move on. Only watched about 6 shows and one movie on there this year so far but I've read/listened to close to 40 books,listened to 100s of hours of podcasts,spent my time outdoors,traveling,work,and with people.
I don't watch sports and my favorite weather channel is OTA.
Majestik

Majestik to Os

Premium Member

to Os

If there was a surcharge I will cancel. I have other cheaper options for internet.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm to davidc502

to davidc502

said by davidc502:

Not sure what you're talking about... but I cut the cord, and went with TDS Fiber Optic network, which I have the minimum speed offered of 50mbps for a little over 50 bucks a month with no data caps.

I have little to complain about.

I wish I had that here. Verizon wants $74.99 for their 25/25 Mbit internet here with no contract and no TV or phone... For Comcast, which is the the only realistic alternative, they want $66.95 for 25/5 Mbit with no agreement.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to syslock

Premium Member

to syslock

said by syslock:

The TV comapnies need to learn from the lessons of the record companies. Adapt or fail.

I think that TV companies have learned quite well from the record companies, only I don't think they learned the lesson we wanted them to learn.

Record companies tried to adapt, and did so in a way many of us approve of and support (DRM-free, using open technology, etc etc.), and now look, their revenue has flatlined. »www.latimes.com/entertai ··· ory.html

So instead of either 'adapt', or 'fail', I think the TV companies will choose the third method that's not only the cheapest but that has the highest chance of success -- litigate.

thatguythere
@108.13.189.x

thatguythere to why me lord

Anon

to why me lord

Or forget Charter's 30mbit for $30/mo which covers quite a geographic area. Let's just say that broadband is super expensive and there are no exceptions ever, it's all either cheap 3mbit DSL or expensive Comcast 305mbit.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Majestik

to Majestik
It does to everyone else in the world as well except to those that want to deny it and discredit it.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to Os

to Os

Your knowledge in business and this subject matter is just beaming with intellect.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

1 recommendation

biochemistry to Os

Premium Member

to Os

Sports, local news and weather are all available OTA.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next