spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-13 08:11:28: AT&T's flurry of cities where the company will offer limited deployments of 1 Gbps speeds continues, with the announcement that Miami will also be a GigaPower market. ..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

I love the "Fiber to the Press Release" headlines.

There is zero substance in these AT&T announcements. Heck they even say it themselves.

"Specific locations of availability and pricing for the Miami market will be announced at a later date."

So this could be 2018 by the time Miami and the other cities actually see it. All smoke....
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

csnyder

join:2007-09-10
Grand Rapids, MI
First time I've seen this term - I love it! FTTPR...

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Deep packet inspection for everybody!

Yay! Deep packet inspection or you pay $30 per month more...

atcotr

@65.60.144.x
They already have to have the equipment installed to comply with FISA, CALEA, PATRIOT, and [REDACTED]. Might as well pad revenue with that kit.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Many will be FTTC/FITL upgrades....

»ebiznet.att.com/networkreg/#southeast

The link even shows which neighborhoods have been selected for upgrades so far....

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
reply to ptrowski

Re: I love the "Fiber to the Press Release" headlines.

»ebiznet.att.com/networkreg/#southeast

There's some substance for you...

flanigan

@76.108.22.x

Interesting

This is interesting, as I've noticed a lot of AT&T truck activity in my area lately. I remember wondering a couple weeks ago if it was related to any u-verse/fiber work.

It's important to note that AT&T actually has a lot of fiber already in the ground around Miami from their Bellsouth acquisition. Most of it is obsolete fiber to the curb in the form of IFITL, but the fiber is already there and it probably wouldn't take too much work to get Gigapower up and running.

This is, of course, assuming AT&T is serious about this. Bellsouth/AT&T have neglected Miami IFITL areas for at least 10 years.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to SlowFITL

So work starting sometime after February 2015.......

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
reply to atcotr

Re: Deep packet inspection for everybody!

Would be interesting to know the exact differences between privacy/inspection for Google Fiber vs ATT $70 vs ATT $100 Gbit services.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

Verizon already has widespread 500 MBps available with FiOS

Verizon FiOS already, real and on the ground, offers and provides 500 MBps. This fact seems to be overlooked whenever the 1 GBps discussions come up. Verizon is pretty close to that (well, half of that bandwidth which itself is a whole lot of speed) over a large swath of area that it covers with its FiOS service. Unlike, even, Google Fiber which is only available in a small tiny extremely few towns.

Now it is true that it costs a pretty penny. $299.99 to be exact. But it is the most widespread residential service in the U.S. that has such a high speed. And this isn't a 'Fiber to the Press Release'. This is real.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

Whatever

It does not really matter how much substance is in the announcement- Tea's GigaPower
will most certainly be accompanied by a giga bill, the last thing most of us need.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

and never to be finished lol

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to cb14

Re: Whatever

thats if they ever roll this out to begin with.., but your right, they will find a way to make money off this eventually.. caps anyone? 1gbps on a 250gb cap...hmmmm

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

FITl has to go

The FITL/FTTC equipment they are replacing has to go because the equipment has been manufacture discontinued for years for the first iFITL/FTTC. They can't get spare parts any more. FTTC communities may have lucked up with the delays. If they had replaced the old equipment before now it would not have been much better then the slow speeds they have now. Almost every new sub-division built in the Southeast Bellsouth 9 states from the mid 90s until maybe 2010 was FTTC. It will take time to change out all that equipment.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by WhatNow:

The FITL/FTTC equipment they are replacing has to go because the equipment has been manufacture discontinued for years for the first iFITL/FTTC. They can't get spare parts any more. FTTC communities may have lucked up with the delays. If they had replaced the old equipment before now it would not have been much better then the slow speeds they have now. Almost every new sub-division built in the Southeast Bellsouth 9 states from the mid 90s until maybe 2010 was FTTC. It will take time to change out all that equipment.

Yep... My neighborhood was the last generation of FITL technology referred to as MX. I'm betting it takes them 2-3 years to get to all of us. In the mean time if Mediacom wires my neighborhood... I'm gone.

Pickles

@207.156.4.x
reply to WhatNow
The xFITL platform has been deployed in newer subdivision areas from the late 90s to about 2007. BellSouth originally had plans to upgrade their xFITL customers, but then AT&T took over and left the xFITL customers out hung to dry. The manufacturer for the xFITL parts is mainly from Marconi and they are no longer producing those parts anymore. While AT&T decides to push Gigabit Fiber, they are still leaving a lot of their FTTC customers hung at 1.5 or 3.0 mbps. Sad.