dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-14 12:32:47: For years our users have complained of phantom Comcast charges -- especially Comcast's tendency to charge customers modem rental fees even when they own the modem. ..

Davek
join:2014-07-17

Davek

When I first heard Comcast was taking over Time Warner I thought it was in my best interest to end my service with Time Warner, even though I enjoy a $15 internet bill that would probably never be that low again if I cancelled. Then after a while, I thought I should probably keep it until things actually go bad.

Then I read these stories and I'm reminded that my initial plan really is the prudent move, as unfortunate as it is.

GNShell
join:2001-02-12

GNShell

Re: ...

Damn it man! Reading your post made me annoyed for you and the situation you find yourself in.
Good luck with your decision.
Davek

Davek

Thanks, Odin. I'll just have to live with internet at work and the coffee shop, which by itself is fine. Losing Netflix is the disappointment. Been watching the Cosmos remake recently, thinking it's going to stink not having Netflix.

But if I keep the plan going, maybe when Comcast takes over they keep the $15 plan going, maybe not. If they don't and want to jack my internet to $50 or a $100 a month, then I'm faced with the problems of getting it cancelled, not to mention bogus equipment fees, false term contract claims, false sign up claims, and who knows what else. Ugggh.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

The actual merger will take years. Why torture yourself? Current TWC is no contract, they need to give a cure period (notice) to change price, and they can't sign you up unilaterally for a contract. That's STILL illegal. So there is no risk on your side.

As for the termination fees, most people don't know the WORST thing you can possibly do is breach the contract (cancel). That immediately triggers the termination fee, and you have very little chance of getting any of that back. That becomes extra profit $$$.

If you are having service issues as a service provider, THEY are responsible for providing reasonable service. Now what is reasonable depends on the contract, but the onus is on the service provider NOT the customer. The best thing you can do is document the calls for service issues and if you get no joy, SUSPEND the service and begin remedies. In almost all cases suspension may or may not extend your contract, but it will allow you legal remedies while not paying in the meantime. The remedies vary according to the franchise (state law), but you can reach out to your town to get them. They are still regulated, believe it or not and those franchise documents supersede any national contracts you sign. This is known as order of precedence.

Also, I recommend that you not sign up for a contract if you are not willing to burden yourself w/ the termination fee (buyers remorse). Hit w/ a $980 term fee, I cannot fathom after 1 year. There must be more than the triple play in here. I read through the thread and there may be home monitoring (a total rip) in play.

This also brings up the fact that in my area TWC does absolutely ZERO contracts. I'm not sure on Comcast, but that in itself is absolutely consumer friendly.

I did violate my credo (sign a contract) with Verizon for FiOS because after 4 years their service has been stellar, and have always treated me as a valued customer. By signing the 2 year contract ($240 term, down $10 a mo) I saved a significant amount over the M2M so my risk was minimal. Even in contract they messed up billing (not uncommon) but it appears this latest billing software is much improved and almost human readable.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to Davek

Premium Member

to Davek
I'd love to cancel Time Warner prior to Comcast taking over. My problem is that Time Warner is the only wired broadband provider in my area. Verizon hasn't expanded FIOS to me. They only have slower DSL. Going wireless (e.g. Verizon Wireless or AT&T) would be too expensive for home use. Netflix usage alone would likely hit my caps. Getting rid of Internet isn't an option either. (I'm a web developer and my wife does freelance writing. We need Internet access.)

So we're stuck with Time Warner and, likely, Comcast in the future.
Davek

Davek

I hear ya, Jason. Some people do need it. I fortunately don't. It's a toy for me most of the time, and occasionally needed for some things. Like looking something up, what have you.

I do have DSL as an alternative, and it's provided by a very good local phone company. Service and support is great, but it's $40 a month.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Davek

Premium Member

to Davek
Another customer with failed logic. Look at the dates on the receipt and date he was billed for. He returned them at least 10 days after he returned them. The bill is dated 7-14 which means he was billed at least 10 days prior to that. The receipt is clearly dated 7-14

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

What? The Receipt shows that he returned them on the 12th.

On his next bill, it showed the equipment not returned fee dated for the 12th, the same day he turned off service and turned in his gear. So the un-returned equipment fees were generated by the termination of his account.

There is NOTHING on the photos that show what specific date the bill was sent, but they do show through the time period of August 5th.

So, yeah. Your post = fail.

McShaken
Premium Member
join:2006-02-20
Olympia, WA

McShaken

Premium Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful if...

people would simply just band together and cancel service, en masse, to protest? Shareholders get all of the glory when discussions revolve around who's "really" important... Pull the customers out of the equation (along with their revenue stream) and you'll see the shareholders fleeing like rats on a sinking ship. But who am I kidding, we've turned into a society that complains without taking action. So bend over everyone, Comcast isn't done with us yet...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: Wouldn't it be wonderful if...

said by McShaken:

people would simply just band together and cancel service, en masse, to protest

To protest what?
that a user ends his contract early and gets charged the all ready known EFT?
or that the hand written equipment pickup receipt isn't credited on a bill on the same date?
for a DOCUMENTOR, he doesn't seem to understand the next step in presenting his receipt (photocopy or fax) to billing and waiting the 5-10 days to receive credit for the returned items.
No doubt that Comcast's customer service could use some work, people are stretching the envelope, trying to present "Comcast is satan" type news blurbs
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

mlcarson

Why is he billed for unreturned equipment immediately? Why don't they wait a billing cycle to see if the equipment is returned rather than getting a free loan from the customer for the value of the equipment?

All of those people who have bills for modem rentals have to pay their bill in full or have their service terminated. Even if you have receipts for equipment, the bill seem to continue every month and you have to fight for billing credits each month with promises it won't happen again.

Too
@66.249.83.x

Too to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by McShaken:

people would simply just band together and cancel service, en masse, to protest

To protest what?
that a user ends his contract early and gets charged the all ready known ETF.

He had a 2 yr contract for a discount he ended early at 1 yr. And so why is he upset he has to pay the fee he agreed to upfront?
Davek

Davek

I agree. When a company wants a term commitment, even with a 'discount', it should be a red flag to everyone to do business elsewhere. Like Comcast, those companies can increase prices and fees during that term, as well as provide poor service, and there is nothing you can do.
kmcmurtrie
join:2006-04-18
Sunnyvale, CA

kmcmurtrie to Too

to Too
He should have read the Comcast Business contract before signing. It clearly states that the customer pays for two years and, in return, Comcast is not required to deliver anything.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

said by kmcmurtrie:

He should have read the Comcast Business contract before signing. It clearly states that the customer pays for two years and, in return, Comcast is not required to deliver anything.

This.

Comcast doesn't do contracts on (most?) residential services anymore. Contractually obligated to pay the ETF and fees on business accounts which DO require a minimum term agreement decided upon by THE CUSTOMER from 2 to 5 years in duration.

Much grief and misplaced rage about nothing here.

McShaken
Premium Member
join:2006-02-20
Olympia, WA

1 recommendation

McShaken to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

To protest what?

The overall contempt that Comcast has for their own customers including, but not limited to:
• Lobbying efforts that limit competition
• Usage caps/overage fees
• Horrible customer service
• Bogus fees
• Never ending rate increases
• Championing the fight against net neutrality
• General shenanigans like this

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

pumpkinhead7 to tshirt

to tshirt
Could use some work? No, my house could use some work. Comcast needs destroyed and rebuilt, there is no hope in salvaging this turd of a company. They lie, cheat, steal, and anything else immoral and or illegal that they need to do to get every dime they can from you.

Anyone with a brain can see that these repeated documented stories are the norm from this god forsaken company, not the exception.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

... he doesn't seem to understand the next step in presenting his receipt (photocopy or fax) to billing and waiting the 5-10 days to receive credit for the returned items.

5-10 days? I received the notice for my returned DSL modem the day after I dropped off at the UPS store. And four days later, my bill showed the removal of the rent.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Heck this day in age the moment he returns the equipment it should be flagged as returned via entry at the service center. Everything is computerized, 5-10 days is simply not acceptable.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Heck this day in age the moment he returns the equipment it should be flagged as returned via entry at the service center. Everything is computerized, 5-10 days is simply not acceptable.

BUT it was not returned to the service center, Comcast SENT a "tech"(usually the lowest end, vehicle approved field guy, sometimes even a contractor) but in this case a home security guy, who may not have filed it right away/correctly/at all.
My suggestion was since standard procedure failed that he might need to remind BILLING about the receipt, the 5-10 days is exactly because it is on paper, rather than directly in the computer system.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

WhatNow

Premium Member

I am sure the tech had to dispatch and close a ticket to pick up the equipment so there is documentation that something was picked up. The tech may not have completed the pickup transaction of the equipment but that is Comcast's problem not the customer's problem.
Companies can make a fortune on just the overnight float if they are big enough.
zduice
join:2001-03-03
San Dimas, CA

zduice to McShaken

to McShaken
sadly, most people only have one option for service.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by zduice:

sadly, most people only have one option for service.

First if you have cable you most likely have access to both DirecTV and DishNetwork. There is also possibly OTA or no TV. If people had the balls to cut service it wouldn't take long for these companies to shape up.
zduice
join:2001-03-03
San Dimas, CA

zduice

..yeah that would be nice if everyone had line of sight or their apartment management allowed satellite dishes. What about Internet? DSL and Satellite is not always a viable option. Fiber is only available in few markets.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

If your Apartment Manager is banning Satellite, you need to read him the FCC's OTARD rules and how much shit he can get in for acting like that.
dmhowell
join:2005-09-29
Hulls Cove, ME

dmhowell

Yes, but if you like your apartment and don't want to get booted, it is best not to piss off your landlord.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Granted, but if they are going to act like that, its best to find out now, vs down the road getting a letter saying your in violation of bunch of rules they never told you they came up with.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to McShaken

to McShaken
said by McShaken:

people would simply just band together and cancel service, en masse, to protest?

Consumers won't do it. It's far easier to bitch and moan than it is to make an effort to stand your ground.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to McShaken

Premium Member

to McShaken
I cancelled my service on Tuesday and returned my equipment on Wednesday. Goodbye Triple Play.

I'd rather watch OTA TV and use my smartphone for voice and Internet until I try another provider.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419

A new game

A new game......
Get about 10 or so Comcast customers together that want to cancel their service and have them all call Comcast at the same time and the first to get their service cancelled wins a years worth of Internet or TV service from another provider if they have one to choose from.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

Re: A new game

The problem is, you would need to buy them a house in a market where another provider exists...
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419

Re: A new game

Well there is AT&T, at least we have that choice, but in no way in heal would we be able to with 6 cable boxes all watching different channels along with 6+ computers. Comcast is our only real choice we have also.

But a new house hmm, that could awesome prize.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Only at Comcast ...

Only at Comcast is the subscriber always wrong. There are scads of complaints about subscribers returning equipment and have their receipts only to be billed for that so-called unreturned equipment. So they provide proof and then get turned over to collections due to a "system error" faster than you can say "awesome".

Then there are those "audits" in which owned equipment suddenly becomes Comcast-owned. Jump through hoops; charges removed only to reappear. Or make an account change and the CSR unticks the customer-owned bit on the account. Back on to the Prove-to-Comcast-I-Own-It ferris wheel.

For a technology company, Comcast's procedures for returning equipment and recognizng what is - and is NOT - their equipment is appalling. Nice revenue stream.

•••
en103
join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

en103

Call the BBB

I had a similar issue 'many' years ago with Verizon. I returned devices and cancelled the service at the 'corporate' (not affiliate) store 1 day after starting service. VZW 'lost' their cancellation (I had my copy) and kept billing me, and attempted to send me to collections. After a call to the BBB, they backed off.

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

1 recommendation

davidc502

Was charged for 6 months for a modem I own

I was one of the customers charged for a modem I owned. It took 1 month to sort out, but Comcast did refund the money.

Think about all of the people that don't notice.

MertJen
@205.123.151.x

MertJen

Anon

Re: Was charged for 6 months for a modem I own

Me too. I got charged each month for three months. Had to call each month to get it fixed. They finally got it figured out, then I moved. It then became their modem again. More calls and chats...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Gold star month

looks like comcast is having a gold star month this month.

crom
@67.188.160.x

crom

Anon

What??

wait wait wait??? his ETF is 960 freaking dollars? WTF. That's insane and he has already finished one year of his service too? Jesus H Christ.

•••

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

5 recommendations

TechyDad

Premium Member

Document, Document, Document

The lesson here - and with all of these Comcast cancellation stories - is that you need to document, document, document. Record calls, keep receipts, and save all e-mails. Make sure you have a trail of documentation so when Comcast tries to charge you for X you can point to where they repeatedly said you wouldn't be charged for X.

•••••••

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Thinking of switching to satellite because of this nonsense

If Excede ever gets their $70 for 150 GB offering in my area I may kick Comcast to the curb for good. My usage is about 40-50 GB per month and is mostly web surfing anyways. I do some YouTube. Mom does Facebook games but those require download to computer only so latency isn't an issue.

sandman9r
Premium Member
join:2003-11-09
Franklin Square, NY

sandman9r

Premium Member

Who Are The Happy Customers on the Homepage?

When I read these unbelievable stories, I wonder who in fact are the Happy Customers for Comcast on the dslreports homepage? At least one person a week writes about an easy experience. Are these horror stories online truly one in a million?

Look at this list from a few weeks ago detailing the companies with the worst customer service:
»www.prdaily.com/Main/Art ··· 999.aspx

It seems as if no matter what company you do business with, it sucks. Are we simply too cynical? Are the minority of customers who have been angered getting the most press?

Here are my favorite big companies: Optimum, Amazon, Yahoo, New York Times, Bloomberg, Geico, VW, Home Depot, Microsoft, Macys, and JetBlue. Am I a hack? I like the fact that the products/services of these companies just 'work.' That's all I ask for as a consumer.

•••••

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Needs to sue them abou the termination fee. They never delivered the terms

... of the contract, so therefore the contract is void, and he's not breaking it.

No WAY he should pay the termination fee.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Re: Needs to sue them abou the termination fee. They never delivered the terms

If these stories keep hitting the news I am surprised some law firm has not started a class action lawsuit. It may be in the contract that you can't sue. At this point that may not hold up in court.

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic

Premium Member

Equipment Charge

I actually still owe $400 to Comcast for an un-returned modem. Even providing the paper receipt of its return did nothing. Supposedly the employee was terminated, so my receipt cannot be verified. There have been no attempts at collection other than blacklisting my name. I'm sure they know the charge is BS, which is why nothing has moved in 5 years.

That's why the account is under my wife's name in the new house.

sykl0ps
Premium Member
join:2011-06-23
Archer, FL

sykl0ps

Premium Member

COX had done the same to me

COX did the same to me, but the first I heard about it was when a collection agency contacted me. It had been a year since I returned the equipment, but luckily I had the little receipt still.