spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-18 13:05:51: While Comcast certainly has its faults, the cable giant has led the way when it comes to IPv6 deployment while many larger ISPs have napped. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

1 recommendation

No surprice TWC is falling behind again

Comcast at %100, TWC that is smaller only %10. Well that sounds really good doesn't it.

Even the hated AT&T moves faster than the snail called time warner cable.

/End of comment

Calculata

join:2009-05-04

2 recommendations

Well now everyone else needs to learn about it.

Well now everyone else needs to learn about it.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 edit

Pretty cool...

Pretty cool Comcast.

TWC trails... Who would have guessed?

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

2 recommendations

reply to Calculata

Re: Well now everyone else needs to learn about it.

The area where customers really don't care..... Comcast is #1.

Sounds about right.

loginforgot

@71.228.27.x

-1 recommendation

that's marketing

Nice announcement for press, but in actuality allot of modems they provide (at least in IL) still can't do IPv6. ...and I've been told over and over business class customers cannot use their own modem.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to why60loss

Re: No surprice TWC is falling behind again

This is why TWC needs Comcast, and Comcast needs TWC.

TWC is an expert in video services. They have far more HD and other channels than Comcast. They also are far ahead in deploying a national channel lineup (at least years ahead of Comcast). They also make it easy in those markets to display the HD picture automatically.

Comcast on the other hand has been very aggressive with DOCSIS 3, speed upgrades, IPV6, and even Metro-e (won carrier of the year award).

Combine the experts in both areas and you'd have a great technologically advanced all around company.

Now if only the two of them could learn some customer service skills...

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

Yay!

Three cheers for more overhead!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

reply to cypherstream

TWC has SDV and comcast did not put that in.

TWC subs may lose HD channels to be more like comcast.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

Other Cool Stats

4% of Internet users are actively running IPv6.
~10% of the US Internet users are running IPv6.

»www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/stat···adoption

T-Mobile has around 30% of their users on IPv6 only to the handset.
»labs.apnic.net/ipv6-measurement/···1/9/2/8/

»T-Mobile Goes IPv6 Only on Android 4.4 Devices

These are some pretty big numbers in terms of v6 adoption. Especially in the mobile space.

batman

@73.160.110.x

IPV6 working smoothly here in S.NJ

I have every device in the house working on IPV6. 2 PCs, 2 tablets(ios & android), a Samsung smartphone on AT&T, AppleTV, and Roku. Browsers support IPV6, fall back to IPV4 for web sites not supporting IPV6 yet(like dslreports). All running smoothly thru a Netgear 802.11AC router.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

This is why TWC needs Comcast, and Comcast needs TWC.

We need to evaluate the merger based on pricing and competition. Comcast's engineering group is great - let them compete based on their network and the quality of their engineers, not a reduced market. If Comcast wanted they could overbuild into TWC territory.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Pretty cool...

said by IPPlanMan:

TWC trails... Who would have guessed?

The Sprint of MSOs?

shmerl

join:2013-10-21

2 recommendations

What about others?

I wonder when will Optimum and Verizon deploy IPv6? Optimum didn't even start (they even ignored the IPv6 day campaign). Verizon kind of started, but halted the effort.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
reply to whfsdude

Re: Pretty cool...

Ha! Good one.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

reply to whfsdude

Re: Other Cool Stats

That is because of LTE. It would have been foolish to deploy IPv4 on that.

As for residential, Verizon is in no rush because they have a crapload of v4 IP's. In the meantime, I tried tunnel 6to4 (ok lots of caveats), but I'm more concerned w/ DNS security and hence run my own DNS server.

I certainly think them doing v6 is great, but I think most people would cheer raising the 300GB cap. Seems to me everything is getting better on the network, except the caps.

journeysquid

join:2014-08-01
reply to why60loss

Isn't this news a month old? The site says July 22nd.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to loginforgot

Re: that's marketing

said by loginforgot :

Nice announcement for press, but in actuality allot of modems they provide (at least in IL) still can't do IPv6. ...and I've been told over and over business class customers cannot use their own modem.

I believe business class customers can use their own modems if they don't have static IPs. For IPv6 they'll probably use RIPng or OSPF to manage static IPv6 customer routes. Guessing the CPEs and IPAM/backend scripts need work there.

Here's the full breakdown from what I've observed:
Res - 100% IPv6 deployment
Business dynamic - Trials.
Business static - No deployment.
Metro Ethernet DIA - yes, not provisioned by default.
XfinityWiFi - No deployment. Note: I do see RA's on xfinitywifi's CPE deployment so maybe something soon.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

That is because of LTE. It would have been foolish to deploy IPv4 on that.

Yet Sprint and AT&T did just that.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

1 recommendation

reply to why60loss

You beat me to it!

Disagree with TWC and Comcast merging still.

bugabuga

join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

Austin TWC did get some ipv6 love

TWC in Austin seems to have enabled IPv6 for all the newly upgraded customers. I was surprised when ipv6 test came up with 10/10 green
--
Hyperom: Rants about life, politics, technology

athornfam2

join:2013-09-25
York, PA

Don't even use it

I may have it but I don't even use ipv6 still using ipv4. No real advantage to either of them. They just ran out of one and had to use another.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

50% customer adoption...

... by the end of THIS year, not next.

FiOS, by comparison, is about two years overdue. This article from Verizon said they were supposed to start rolling it out to users in Q3 2012.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to whfsdude

Like I said My ghetto prepaid from Sprint/ATT are not LTE, so wasn't aware. But my TMO and VZ LTE devices are def IPv6.

I can understand Sprint, but AT&T I think they are converting are the not?

Funnily enough they recently (Sprint) officially launched LTE in my area, but yet no signal....

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by elefante72:

I can understand Sprint, but AT&T I think they are converting are the not?

They are not. AT&T's only v6 deployment is on their wireline business.

Sprint is using DoD squat space for IPv4 and many layers of NAT. ...and we wonder why their network sucks. :P

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to batman

Re: IPV6 working smoothly here in S.NJ

said by batman :

I have every device in the house working on IPV6. 2 PCs, 2 tablets(ios & android), a Samsung smartphone on AT&T, AppleTV, and Roku. Browsers support IPV6, fall back to IPV4 for web sites not supporting IPV6 yet(like dslreports). All running smoothly thru a Netgear 802.11AC router.

That sounds easy when you only have a handful of devices on your network. But I have over sixty five devices on my network at home. This just would not be possible for me.

batman

@73.160.110.x
said by aaronwt:

But I have over sixty five devices on my network at home. This just would not be possible for me.

In god's name, WHY???

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

If Comcast wanted they could overbuild into TWC territory.

That is an NOT going to happen, as it is economically unsound.
remember TWC put themselves on the market and Comcast's offer overwhelms Charter's which need financing from Comcast', as well as a purchase of larger parts of TWC by someone (likely Comcast as that would be their only benefit in being the bank)
Comcast is not reducing the market size, and it is TWC's choice to reduce the number of players/withdraw from business. (strange timing as this is the golden age of HFCoax , and the twilight of the Telco copper plant)

Right now there is great advantage to CC ownership as they are rapid pushing the US cable Industry to nexgen (IPv6, DOCSIS3/3.1, even limited FTTH) cable network upgrades.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to cypherstream

TWC is an expert in video services. They have far more HD and other channels than Comcast. They also are far ahead in deploying a national channel lineup (at least years ahead of Comcast). They also make it easy in those markets to display the HD picture automatically.

I don't know if I'd go that far. In the LA area TWC's video service is pretty craptacular with a weak HD lineup. At least Comcast is trying to get the user experience right with the X-series set tops. You are right about Comcast having weak HD lineups in general, I find it pretty surprising considering how bullish they tend to be with technology. They had dual tuner DVRs before everyone else.

National channel lineups with merged HD/SD lineup is surely a good thing, but it's not particularly impressive to me. DirecTV has had that for ages. The fact that it's not already done, I consider it a fail on both TWC and Comcast's part. I can't count the number of times I've been over to family and friend's homes and seen some sporting event on a big flat screen TV, in glorious standard definition, because they didn't know the 3/4 digit HD version of the local network. They think I'm some damn wizard when I grab the remote and fix it. Argh, LOL.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX
reply to batman

Re: IPV6 working smoothly here in S.NJ

Not really that high a number. I have about 52 - 60 devices on my home network. Most are VM's but still they need a unique IP.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

Wow

Welcome to 2 and a half weeks ago.....

They posted this to the NANOG mailing list then...