spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-18 15:27:59: Verizon tinkered with wireless pricing over the weekend, offering a new $60 plan for individuals that offers unlimited text, unlimited voice and 2 GB of data. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

T-Mobile disrupted pricing

I must say that it now looks quite more appealing, and almost cheaper than TMO
--
Semper Fi

zipjay

join:2003-03-11
South Williamson, KY

straight talk

Straight talk offers this same exact plan on at&t for $20 less and no contract.

Nick N

@69.47.91.x

VMU

Or you could get Virgin Mobile, was has a $55 a month off contract plan for unlimited talk and text, and throttled data with no overages after 2.5GB.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to Tomek

Re: T-Mobile disrupted pricing

said by Tomek:

Almost, but not quite. T-Mobile gives you 3GB for $60/mo. and no overages.

But, still: 2GB would be enough for either my wife or I, by far. Neither of us use even the 1GB each of 4G we have, now. Thing is: TMO lets us add a line for $10. This is an individual plan, at VZW, so it'd be $120, for the two of us, rather than $70.

And I'm guessing the other goodies we get with TMO, VZW does not offer. Or they cost more $$$.

Jim

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to zipjay

Re: straight talk

$15 less, they don't include a handset subsidy, and you can get that plan off-contract with VZW as well. Also, last I checked everyone except GoPhone has throttled H+ and LTE on AT&T, down to 51 and 8/1 Mbps respectively. With VZW this is a full-on postpaid plan so you can actually use AWS LTE (with its high speeds) if you want.

Not saying Straight Talk isn't a good deal. But this plan is 1GB of data and free music streaming away from T-Mobile's comparable plan, which is pretty impressive.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

Told Ya!

Last week (?), in a thread about Sprint giving up on Borging TMO, or maybe in a thread about Sprint saying they were going to get competitive this week, one of the Duopoly shills was beating the old "yeah, but if Sprint had been allowed to Borg TMO..." I said, at the time, that Sprint getting competitive would finally force VZW and "at&t" to action.

Jim

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

Giveth, and taketh

Looks like they got rid of the $50/mo. 1GB plan that used to be there, and pared it down to this plan *only* for single lines.

So much for my "loyalty" plan that was exactly this.

Really considering having T-Mo pay off my ETF, and then moving to Republic Wireless.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to iansltx

I actually have to agree with this, this verizon plan isnt to bad especially for those that love verizons coverage.. although the lack of international txt and data does suck.. but its not bad considering where they cover.. im still stickin to tmo though

inmis

@173.24.41.x
reply to zipjay

They offer it on Verizon too...I pay $45 month for unlimited talk/text/data...well 3GB of 4G, then unlimited 2G speeds. Just have to get the right phone/SIM to get on Verizon through st. More data than direct with Verizon and no overages. Why should I pay more directly to Verizon for less & steep overage charges? Postpaid made sense before unlimited everything. I overpaid Verizon for years on postpaid plans. No more...

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to jseymour

VZW's includes the phone subsidy, TMO doesn't.

VZW is cheaper if this is included.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Tomek

said by Tomek:

$60 is what I currently pay for unlimited data and texts, and 450 voice minutes with Verizon.

shmerl

join:2013-10-21

1 recommendation

reply to toby

Phone subsidies will die out together with contracts and higher monthly rates. There is no reason for them to do subsidies if not for contract lock-in and recovering the cost with higher monthly plans.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Feeling the T-Mobile Squeeze Verizon?

T-Mobile continues to bring the hurt... Keep it up!

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
reply to amungus

Re: Giveth, and taketh

Actually, that Verizon plan was $60/month and came with 1 GB of data... $15 per 500 MB overage.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to aaronwt

You must have a generous corporate discount on voice/text service combined with a $20 data discount promo that was only offered for a few months back in 2010-2011. Most people aren't as lucky as us, the actual cost of that plan is around $90 before taxes/fees.

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to amungus

You signed the one year agreement for the crappy loyalty plan? They offered it to me but I didn't bite. Me and three other members of my family moved to AT&T. We share 10GB of data, and combined with my 25% company discount we pay just under $38 a month for each phone. Would be less if we added a 5th or 6th phone.

ggultra2764

join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

AT&T Go Phone offers more...

Their prepaid offering at $60 offers up 500 MB more data than this and the overage fee is $5 cheaper as well. Still doesn't tempt me to jump onto Verizon for a phone.

wkm001

join:2009-12-14

Oh Verizon...

I bet Verizon made MILLIONS keeping their pricing up for the first 6-7 months of this year. I left for AT&T at the beginning of this year and could not be happier. If I were still with Verizon I would not be able to carry my OnePlus One

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to amungus

said by amungus:

Really considering having T-Mo pay off my ETF, and then moving to Republic Wireless.

Watch out for the fine print. It's not as easy as them paying your ETF and you taking off the next month to another provider.

I believe you have to surrender a phone and buy a new one from T-Mobile for them to pay your ETF.

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state
reply to iansltx

Being throttled down to 5/1 isn't that bad, especially if your cap is 2 GB. Heck, that could even be a selling point, it'd help you make your usage last longer.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

said by amungus:

Watch out for the fine print. It's not as easy as them paying your ETF and you taking off the next month to another provider.

I believe you have to surrender a phone and buy a new one from T-Mobile for them to pay your ETF.

buy different verizon phone for trade in , buy cheapest tmobile phone to be eligble.

Buy sim cards on eBay for current verizon phones , = win

Flycat

join:2003-05-12
Lawrence, MA

Once again this site saves me money

I had a $60/m plan with 1 gig of data, and as of today, the last day of the cycle I was 0.07 MB over the cap and looking at a +$15 fee.

A quick call had my plan raised to the 2 gigs and she was able to back date it, so I'm all set

Pretty good plan if you ask me.

thomasr

join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC
reply to zipjay

Click for full size
$15 less - my AT&T service through Straight Talk is $45 plus taxes and fees. They might as well say $50 now as those taxes and fees now run that $45 service to $49.41. The plan now allows 3GB per month though.

»www.straighttalkbyop.com/

Event at $50, ST still remains a good contender for more bang for your buck... plus it is no-contract.

delusion ftl

@204.124.13.x
reply to Tomek

This is a limited time offer. That means you need to jump on it asap and that after you've signed up for 2 years of service and not allowed to add any additional lines (without migrating to the expensive plans), you may not be allowed to get another subsidized device and continue on the plan (like how grandfathered data users are trapped).

VZW is confident in this because based on data growth projections, and the consumer profile of most of the people who sign up on just one line, will wind up eventually using more than 2GB often and busting into nice fat overages over the next couple years.

Flycat

join:2003-05-12
Lawrence, MA
reply to toby

Yup, iphone 5s for $99 with unlimited talk/text and 2GB for $60. Works for me

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
reply to Goliath2k

I agree that 5/1 is a fine speed for a mobile connection.

But as for a selling point, I'm not sure. You could still blow through your 2GB cap in less than an hour.

mikescott352

join:2010-02-16
Gainesville, FL
reply to Flycat

Re: Once again this site saves me money

I was on the $75/Ulmt Talk/Txt 2G plan. Took the rep all of 2 mins to switch me over to the $60 plan. I also get a 20% emp disc through my job. This feels good

Mr Guy

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

said by Tomek:

$60 is what I currently pay for unlimited data and texts, and 450 voice minutes with Verizon.

The world doesn't revolve around unlimited data users arronwt. Why unlimited data users think everything Verizon does is about them is beyond me. This plan is clearly meant for those single line plans on Nationwide that currently have the 2 GB data plan. Verizon wants to move people to More Everything. instead of forcing them like they could have they are incentivizing them.

Nationwide single line 450 minutes unlimited text 2 GB data $90

Nationwide single line 450 minutes 1000 texts 2 GB data $80

More Everything single line plan unlimited minutes/texting with 2 GB data $60. It's a no brainer to move over.

Mr Guy

USA
reply to delusion ftl

said by delusion ftl :

This is a limited time offer. That means you need to jump on it asap and that after you've signed up for 2 years of service and not allowed to add any additional lines (without migrating to the expensive plans), you may not be allowed to get another subsidized device and continue on the plan (like how grandfathered data users are trapped).

What you can't have more than ONE line on a SINGLE line plan? How evil of Verizon!

VZW is confident in this because based on data growth projections, and the consumer profile of most of the people who sign up on just one line, will wind up eventually using more than 2GB often and busting into nice fat overages over the next couple years.

You do realize that on the old Nationwide plan the cheapest data plan is 2 GB. and that plan cost at least $80 a month. The next tier up on that plan is 5 GB which is $20 more.

Mr Guy

USA
reply to amungus

said by amungus:

YOU have to pay off your ETF then submit the paperwork to T-Mobile proving you paid it. Then you get a bill credit. I have heard many stories of T-Mobile finding excuses to not giving the credit. Paperwork getting lost, not filled in correctly etc etc.