spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-18 17:46:58: The Wall Street Journal notes that Time Warner Cable's existing relationship with Bright House Communications complicates Comcast's proposed acquisition of Time Warner Cable. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

no to merger

Just say NO !! We already got sprint-tmobile merger destroyed, now we got one more target....

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

Other options

There are other options...

First off, a significant portion of BHN's systems are close to Charter systems (except for Central Florida where they're next to Comcast). Charter will also be doing "management functions" for SpinCo, so they'll be in a position to offer those services to BHN as well. Plus, if the Newhouse family want to sell, Charter is obviously a very willing buyer.

At any rate, I can't imagine that Comcast didn't think about this before jumping in with both feet.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Everyone complains...

...that their cableco LACKS adequate leverage when buying content is causing higher prices. Yet hates having 1 really large company/consortium with the power to exert some control.

having Comcast provide engineering and plant standardization to even a larger group would be a great thing towards making "one network, to serve them all" ubiquitous broadband so many here would hope to see sooner rather than later.
But it would be up to bright house to decide who the should buy those services from in the future.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

I've used BNH once

I've only used BNH once but it's the same as TWC down to the boxes they have.

SNT
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to mixdup

Re: Other options

The only other option I have is U-Verse....no thanks.

mixdup

Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
said by SNT:

The only other option I have is U-Verse....no thanks.

I meant there are other options for BHN/Comcast.

SNT
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to mixdup
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I still wish I had other options.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to tshirt

Re: Everyone complains...

I don't recall anyone complaining about inadequate leverage nor would a larger Comcast solve that problem.
--
The harvest is nigh past, the summer is nigh ended. Are you saved? bibleprophecytruth.com

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to SNT

Whether Comcast and TWC merge or don't will not change that, unfortunately.

CAA1000

@71.47.122.x

Feeling betrayed by Bright House! Paying more for less?

So, I heard a lot about Bright House lousy services that are provided by Time Warner Cable and to make matters worse, since early this 2014 when word came out of the Comcast merger with TWC, they never mentioned Bright House partnerships with the ownership of Conde Nast Magazine, for fear that the FCC would say NO to the merger. Now that this piece of information is coming out to light, will see if the FCC will still continue with the merger plans, or will simply say NO DEAL. Other options are, to return the full ownership to the Conde Nast Magazine owners and most likely, pay a higher bill for services that we don't even get or need. PS, my internet speed is UNRELIABLE. I pay for 30 MBPS and the speed test goes to 5 MBPS at times. Why? Explain it like a 5 year old (Reddit is also owned by Conde Nast Magazine ownership!).

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to tshirt

In fairness, Comcast is probably already at a large enough size to drive negotiations - unlike TWC and their infamous programming spats.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

The whole "size" argument...

People seem to like to focus on the size of Comcast post a TWC merger, which seems rather silly to me. One large company is far easier to manage (regulate) than a bunch of smaller independent companies. If I were part of the review group, I'd be much more interested in business practices like required equipment rentals, full service (D3, Internet) in all systems, usage limits / overcharges than overall territory size. While not a given, I still the whole idea of "SpinCo" is terrible and ultimately bad for customers.

All that said, I'm not a TWC customer and its their opinion that should weigh heavier in any discussion.

Edit: Added full service above.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to biochemistry

said by biochemistry:

I don't recall anyone complaining about inadequate leverage nor would a larger Comcast solve that problem.

not today, but remember all the threads when Dish or some other CATV provider did a blackout? THEN people wanted their CATV provider to make a stand, and the little guy (a few million subs) ended up caving to the content makers, bigger guys got a better deal.

a larger, standardized, advanced services, plant is in everyone's interest, be it a single carrier or fifty (but fifty is a hard to manage number of variations and unlikely to be well-coordinated. ) it doesn't HAVE to be Comcast however they seems to be in the leadership role on the network technology, planning and implementation end as well as being able to attract investors AND then investing TODAY (not spending another couple years, figuring where to redline the next (maybe) google fiber build too.) and new enthusiastic investment is what is need to drive new growth.

pumpkinhead7

join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV
reply to AVonGauss

Re: The whole "size" argument...

This is under the assumption that our regulators will actually...regulate. We want it stopped full on, not promises that they can fix the tainted corporation

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN

Foreign investor

We just need a French company to come in with an offer for TWC, like what happened with T-Mobile.
--
to whoever anonymously gave me premium membership... thanks!

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to pumpkinhead7

Do you? Are you a TWC customer now, and do you remember TWC's idea of "overage" charges for Internet? Either way, there are pros and cons is my point and since they rarely compete in the same area, one doesn't often provide leverage against the other.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home

Huh?

32 million customers is 101 million homes? How does that work?

I didn't realize that many Americans owned 3 houses. I only have 1.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Why the magic 30%

It's like someone pulled a number out of their butt. Where they are a monopoly, they will still be a monopoly. Spinning off some of the less desirable and less competitive markets into spinco doesn't do anything for anyone.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to smcallah

Re: Huh?

said by smcallah:

32 million customers is 101 million homes? How does that work?

Total market size = 101M
Number Comcast would be negotiating for = 32M
32 of 101 is approx 32%.

/M

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

....Comcast is probably already at a large enough size to drive negotiations - ...

yes, but the TWC customers would NOW be covered

mixdup

Birmingham, AL
reply to BiggA

Re: Why the magic 30%

Up until it was recently thrown out by the courts, the FCC had a 30% cap on cable company size.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to AVonGauss

Thats all nice and all but the other side of that sword is that Comcast found ensure whatever they wanted to do that was anti-consumer would pass muster with their "regulators" and thus screw us.

Remember the old Bell days....."We dont care, we dont have to".

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to mixdup

BHN has WAY MORE HD then comcast or even TWC as well all the team HD and game HD.

BTN alts in HD (in an out of market area to boot as well)

SEC Network Overflow HD

EPL Extra Time HD 1-5

ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater/Bases Loaded HD

way more Premium HD

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to mixdup

Re: Why the magic 30%

But that is/was completely arbitrary in the first place? I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the merger, mostly just because Comcast can't get it's act together now, but this arbitrary 30% thing is just stupid.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
... there are quite a few arbitrary numbers in the regulations.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to fiosultimate

Re: no to merger

Sprint-TMO USA was to eliminate an option. This does NOT eliminate any choices. Give it up with that already.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to mixdup

Time to tell the Newhouse family and everyone that's a customer look for prices to go up. Newhouse got a deal that they knew could end at any time.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to SNT
You have options, you choose not to use them.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to AVonGauss
And nothing changes regardless. No less no more to choose from. So what's the big deal?

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to tshirt

And one standard is what people want. Everyone on here wants faster broadband and cheaper prices. if Comcast is willing to do that and allow Newhouse to manage BHN still - as it works now- what's the problem? It would be similar to the Muni FTTH network that this site calls for on a daily basis.