dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-18 17:46:58: The Wall Street Journal notes that Time Warner Cable's existing relationship with Bright House Communications complicates Comcast's proposed acquisition of Time Warner Cable. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: Everyone complains...

Dish and DirecTV do it all the time. Hell even TWC did it for several months. People bitched bitched and bitched, and moved to other choices, but yet will still bitch when prices go up. You just can't please most of the public.

But yet- Google will never be a full national player let alone regional, they'll be a "local" service that sells off soon to another company. Maybe Paxio would be interested or Grande Communications.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
TWC could have that power if customers didn't leave for Dish/DirecTV and other choices and stood behind their MSO or other provider during the negotiations. Instead the customers complain and leave. What do you expect TWC to do???
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7

Re: The whole "size" argument...

What do you expect them to regulate? The FCC has very little power when it comes down to it. Prices are a FTC issue. Internet? Hardly anything to do with either the FTC nor the FCC.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to CAA1000

to CAA1000

Re: Feeling betrayed by Bright House! Paying more for less?

Most knew this was going to come down to it. TWC or Newhouse could have ended this deal at any time. Just now its coming to light more and more. If BHN was upfront and more honest in who actually owns their company customers wouldn't be left out in the dark. Instead they have managers and "directors" that deny anything to do with TWC, and yet their own staff that loves to claim they know what's going on- denies it as well. Yet TWC's SEC fillings ALWAYS showed that they own 20% of BHN and have from get go.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to graycorgi

to graycorgi

Re: Foreign investor

Like Virgin? We're already having that with public transit with the Brits. You have Coach USA operating large sections of Greyhound and almost every other bus service/company like Mega in the US and they've already been in talks with the feds on purchasing Amtrak.

But wouldn't be a bad idea.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Why the magic 30%

What can't they get together? They have one of the largest private Fiber networks, they peer with some of the largest web hosting companies in the world- one being Liquid Web. They peer with many backbones in Canada. They have one of the most upgraded and advanced HFC networks in the US- if not the most advanced HFC network. They're speeds for Internet are some of the fastest available.

Why wouldn't you want this? TWC doesn't want to give you any of this, so why not someone who is willing and can have the power to drive down costs?

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

Prices are already sky high at Bright House

It's hard to see how the prices could go up much more. I already pay $62 a month (including $4 for the modem rental) just for 10/1 internet.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Why... I buy my own modem and save $

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

Central Florida is the lightning capital of the world. I already lost one modem this year. Also if I switch to DSL soon then I wasted my money.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

While I assume some of your response is hyperbole, the FCC does indeed need to approve the merger in addition to numerous other federal agencies as well as state regulators - which is where the real wildcard is. At the federal level, my opinion is its essentially a done deal the only questions remaining are what conditions will be placed on it.

Edit: Many of those "approvals" I mentioned above are de facto approvals, in that the agency (i.e. DOJ) approves by not contesting the merger.
AVonGauss

AVonGauss to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

Re: Other options

The poster wanted another choice, and more choices is generally a good thing.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to ITGeeks

Anon

to ITGeeks

Re: no to merger

Fark Charter

Kasich should round up some buddies up to help buy all of Ohio's TWC plant and turn it into a member owned cooperative.

We The People of Ohio shouldn't have to wait 2-3 MORE years for this deal to go through to get GigE broadbands.

SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

Enlighten me. I would love to know what they are.
Keep in mind, I already have DirecTV so I am only referring to internet.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

I'm not against it at all. I'd rather have anyone own TWC than Comcast, AT&T, or Verizon.

Fldave
@210.13.74.x

Fldave to ev

Anon

to ev

Because govt ownership fixes everything. I mean, look at the USPS...oh, wait...

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to BiggA

to BiggA

said by BiggA:

But that is/was completely arbitrary in the first place? I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the merger, mostly just because Comcast can't get it's act together now, but this arbitrary 30% thing is just stupid.

I wouldn't say it was arbitrary. I'm sure they had some kind of reasoning behind it when they created it. Keep in mind it was a regulation from decades ago and only applied to video customers, and it was vacated by the court. Comcast is trying to stay below it as a gesture of "goodwill". Plus, they'll be *over* that number in terms of internet customers which is what really matters these days.
stewie3128
join:2008-11-20

stewie3128 to Fldave

to Fldave

Congress has *intentionally wrecked* the USPS financially by requiring it to pre-fund its retirement liabilities by 75 years.

USPS is a perfect example of the worst of both worlds: congress running a private business. Congress sucks at doing anything. Let it be a private business, or let it be a fully government-run entity like any other department or agency.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
If you think having one cable operator with that big of a customer base and that much control of the market isn't bad for the consumer your very naive. It's a bigger question than how many choices an individual customer has. and note that in many areas in the country the reasonable number of choices is 1, cable.
They don't want to support dsl anymore, in many markets they are simply letting cable take all of the customers because telco's don't want to pay to upgrade, satellite and LTE have very low caps and are only last resort options.
When you realise that internet is looking more and more like a monopoly in a larger and larger percentage of america the effects of this merger become very apparent.

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Prices

Comcast is going to get so expensive nobody will be able to afford it. With the advent of video subscribers decreasing and broadband subs increasing something will have to break. Broadband
for Comcast is a cash cow at the moment, but with video services bringing in less funding the expense of broadband not being covered by some real cost of distribution the cost. It will have to be made up somewhere. Price increases across the board on all services , no matter what. No company or business is immune to failure and that includes Comcast.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

pumpkinhead7 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

Yes I am a time warner customer now and at least in my area they are absolutely amazing in service, the prices leave a lot to be desired but they are nothing in comparison to comcast
ITGeeks
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to ev

to ev

Kasich isn't going to spend money on a Muni that isn't worth anything. Co-Ops are NOT funded by buddies and public money. They around founded by private money in the areas that people want to own a Co-op you are free to do so in any part of Ohio.

And We the People do not need Gig-E to live. Give it up already.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

And he has another choice- U-Verse. DirecTV, Dish Network. Those are choices. If he's not happy with them, then he's free to move, or create a real co-op not using muni funding.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to SNT

to SNT
U-Verse, DirecTV, Dish Network, resellers/VARs of any MSO. The list goes on.

And your can blame BHN and their employees for covering up the fact that TWC owns part of that company and could have ended this agreement months and years ago and BHN would still be in the same boat they are today. So why cry about it? Tell BHN and Newhouse family to get actually become a real MSO instead of one that is basically reselling services in another area. In reality they are just a TWC Partner like Sprint had.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

The FCC can NOT approve based upon Internet and the costs of the Internet. You do realize the FCC does not have control of the Internet correct?

The FTC is pricing. NOT the FCC.

SNT
Premium Member
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL

SNT to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

I'm going to leave it here as reading comprehension is obviously an issue.
Also, just because something may be available, it doesn't mean that it is an option.
ITGeeks
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to graycorgi

to graycorgi

I didn't say it was a bad thing but at least Comcast has the $$$ and willing to invest in a network unlike TWC- TWC never wanted to invest in the network even under TW, Inc. They should have allowed resellers to operate on a national basis at more reasonable rates but the Courts decided against that and now the resellers pay much more.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to Fldave

Anon

to Fldave

Yeah, don't let those pesky facts get in the way of a good drive-by teabagging, Dave.

77 of Ohio's 88 counties use member-owned electricity co-ops. What a failed experiment that is, right?

Furthermore, Columbus Division Of Power is highly price competitive with AEP. And Columbus ALWAYS seems to have service restored FASTER after major storms versus AEP as well. Wonder why that is...?
ITGeeks
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to mixdup

to mixdup

But keep in mind no gov't agency is governing the Internet in terms of at the FCC or the FTC or even DOJ. It's self governing.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

Re: Prices

Comcast is going to expensive? How do you figure? Internet rates are staying the same, speeds are increasing. Networks are getting updates. And Comcast could raise rates right now and so could TWC. And nothing would happen. Why? Because they still don't compete!!! And never will!

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to ITGeeks

Anon

to ITGeeks

GigE isn't worth anything...? That's a boldly idiotic statement. So brave, you are.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next