dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-18 17:46:58: The Wall Street Journal notes that Time Warner Cable's existing relationship with Bright House Communications complicates Comcast's proposed acquisition of Time Warner Cable. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

Re: Foreign investor

I just get the feeling the only reason Comcast is willing to invest in their network is because they want to look good so they're allowed to get bigger. Once they've eaten up all the other cable providers, what will be their incentive? They certainly don't have competition across most of their footprint.

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks

Re: Prices

Video subscription is the financial meat for Comcast and without subs buying it the company will not be able to afford the Internet piggy backing on it.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

Re: Why the magic 30%

They can't get their act together on unifying customer service and billing, but also their systems. They still haven't upgraded all of them, and as a result, some of them are left with far less content than others, different internet speed tiers from region to region, etc. They also have different fee structures in different regions, not just different prices, but entirely different ways of charging, i.e. in some regions, HD is a programming fee, in others it is an equipment fee. Luckily, it's an equipment fee in mine, so I don't pay it, since I own my own TiVos.

The upside is that maybe Comcast will rescue the TWC folks from the horrors of TWC's aggressive anti-TiVo stance through the use of incorrect copy flagging, lack of VOD support, and their horrible SDV implementation, and either make SDV work and use it across TWC and Comcast, or cut the fat out of TWC's HD lineup and finally get rid of analog to get rid of SDV.

The problem is, if Comcast can't get it's own act together in terms of integrating systems, how on earth are they supposed to integrate TWC's system that is set up with a totally different methodology from their own?

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks

Re: Prices

said by ITGeeks:

Comcast is going to expensive? How do you figure? Internet rates are staying the same, speeds are increasing. Networks are getting updates. And Comcast could raise rates right now and so could TWC. And nothing would happen. Why? Because they still don't compete!!! And never will!

Remember how cheap cable Internet was when it first came out, compared to now?

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by nonamesleft:

Remember how cheap cable Internet was when it first came out, compared to now?

Yeah I think AOL was like $19.95/month plus the cost of the extra phone line.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3