spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-19 07:29:18: • The Simple Lesson in Broadband Numbers: People Want Speed [thestreet.com] • Comcast Says Mobile Data Is Competitive, But It Costs $2k To Stream Breaking Bad Over LTE [consumerist. ..

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

People Want Speed

From the linked article:

Quote of the day: Cable is killing the phone companies because cable wires are thicker and deliver more bits for less capital investment.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

$2K Breaking Bad Bill...

It's interesting that the worst carrier, Sprint, had the highest cost.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI

Sprints price is about to equal it's netword performance

Having worked for the switch operations for 10 years and keeping in contact with some of the guys who managed to avoid getting shown the door, all I can say is Sprint is bringing it's network service in line with it's worth. Crappy voice quality (sorry Dan or __INSERT NAME HERE___), slow data and spotty service. Sure there are a FEW markets out there who might get OK results, but for the MAJORITY of your users, 3G ends up being faster then your 4G on a good day. It's not the phone as I have a Torque, 3 HTC ones and one Iphone 5 on my plan. Even the wife's MVNO (replublic Wireless) all have the SAME issues. So now we can all say, we get what we pay for.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

2 recommendations

Car to Car comm...

"Hey! You are too f--kkin close!"
"get out of my f--kin way, you m-r-n!"
"use your f-kkin signal, you dumb c--t!"
"The light is green! move you f--k!"
"that is the ugliest car color...you look sick!"
"my owner thinks the lower the car, the faster it goes..."
"the driver is texting again. I'll engage the brakes when she grabs her coffee!"

Car to Car communications...
--
Splat

anonomeX

@71.207.157.x
reply to rradina

Re: People Want Speed

Oh, yeah, thicknet was "da bomb"!

(Of course, it's not speed that people want at all. People want cheap and they want it to work, including for streaming [sustained speed]. Having 1gbps doesn't mean crap if you still can't stream a show from everywhere without it continually pausing for buffering--or just plain dying.)

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

welcome back...

Revcb See Profile your morning links were greatly missed.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to anonomeX

Re: People Want Speed

Of course we want it to work but I don't think consumers necessarily want cheap. I think we want reasonable. The problem is the perception of what's reasonable is clouded by decades of mistrust.