spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-19 15:55:22: Comcast's historically abysmal customer customer service has many causes, not least of which is the company's fairly obvious lax standards when it comes to subcontractors, which over the years has resulted in installers falling asleep, murdering peop.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

Nice op-ed.

Granted growth for growth's sake is an investor-driven disease that is not unique to Comcast
And that's all there is to it. You can't fault a business for failing to strive for its #1 goal. You can only complain about how it goes about getting there.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Two-Foot-Itis

The boating world calls this Two-Foot-Itis. It's a disease where you want a boat that's two feet longer than whatever length you currently own.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

It's all about

More Money!! Money! Money! Money! everything else is just gravey

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to SunnyD

Re: Nice op-ed.

Depends on if the #1 goal is real value or perceived value.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to rradina

Re: Two-Foot-Itis

I have a 14 footer but want a 72 footer what's that called.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

2 recommendations

It is their right as private parties to merge

The companies are not governmental entities (and thankfully for that much) and it is their rights as private property owners and parties to a business transaction to decide to merge with each other. Any of us being dissatisfied with their services does not give anyone of us or the government the legal right to prevent the businesses from engaging in a merger transactions of their private properties that they've agreed to - however foolhardy any of us or the government may think it is. They are not competing with each other and thus there are no anti-trust laws here being violated. Keeping TWC as a separate corporation from Comcast will not result in improved customer service.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

my only complaint about the op-ed

The coverage map was incorrect, missing a few Comcast markets including the one I live in.

Otherwise, great article. Comcast is a living result of what it was made of - a hodge podge of many smaller MSO's.The entire history of Comcast has been expansion through acquisition and merger - a symptom of the system we use to carve up regions for MSO's.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to josephf

Re: It is their right as private parties to merge

Regulation of business is an integral part of maintaining a stable country, We have been cutting those regulations which is why America is circling the drain.
--
Filan - Aurin Spellslinger - Pago - Team Legacy

ev

@74.140.91.x
reply to bcltoys

Re: Two-Foot-Itis

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to Kearnstd

Regulations are not carte blanche for government to decide and enforce its preferences over any business transaction. Furthermore, deregulation of the airline industry resulted in 40% lower fares (in inflation adjusted dollars). Telecommunication deregulation has also resulted in lower rates and more innovation. In any event, here there is nothing to deregulate. It is simply a lawful business transaction that the government has no legal basis to prevent.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to josephf
You're 100 years late. See the Clayton Act of 1914.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to dnoyeB

What's the difference when you're growing a business? Why is it so bad that Comcast is growing?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to westdc

Re: It's all about

What else should a for profit business be interested in? I'm sure you don't strive for more money in your paycheck each pay period.

josephf

reply to Zoder

None of Clayton's provisions would enable the government to block this merger of non-competing companies. It does, of course, require notification and allow time for review.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to openbox9

If Comcast was growing because it was good for the country that would be great.

nothing00

Centereach, NY
reply to josephf

The Bell System didn't compete with anyone either.

josephf

The Bell system was broken, by consent agreement, because they were preventing other companies that wanted to compete from interconnecting and competing with their own Western Electric equipment subsidiary. Different circumstance.

Flyonthewall

@206.248.154.x

Growth for the sake of growth.

There is a well known saying about that and how it's appropriate to cancer.

Too big for it's own good, can't give customers good service, can't provide even what they claim to provide to all customers, sounds like a cancer to me.

This cancer remains alive courtesy of the FCC and it's Big Top mentality.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to nothing00

The bell system was built with public money, not private money.

nothing00

Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

reply to josephf
So, like, to boil it down to something I can understand... They had enough market power to dictate terms and were able to make it difficult for competitors to enter the market? That is starting to sound familiar.

nothing00

Centereach, NY

1 edit
reply to rody_44
I see. So if it was built with private money it would have been correct to leave it alone?

edit: I can't find any indication that the Bell System/aka AT&T was built with "public money"?

rfrooney

join:2006-02-26
Antioch, TN
reply to josephf
There was competition in those industries. No one airline or telecommunication company had a monopoly on the market. Break the cable companies stranglehold on the local market and see what happens.

josephf

How do you propose to "Break the cable companies stranglehold on the local market"?

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

3 edits
reply to nothing00
Like the market for electric delivery. And the railroads. And water delivery.

Feel free to run cable wiring across your entire city. Any city would love you to build a fiber optic network in their town. And don't forget to cover every residential and business address like the existing cable company, so you can fairly compete with them.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit
reply to Flyonthewall

Re: Growth for the sake of growth.

It's alive here because its the only cable co available. They upgraded the whole state but here in this area. That means this is one of the areas they will want to divest.
Charter will most likely be the only choice then(closest competitor), and I haven't heard much good of them either.
I think they are a big enough abomination already, what's next?

nothing00

Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

reply to josephf

I like how you said "electric delivery". That's a great place to start. The electrical delivery infrastructure is open to many competing electrical suppliers. I'm guessing that, after the Comcast/TW merger, you'd open up the New Comcast infrastructure to competitors at competitive rates? Kind of like how they did with the Bell infrastructure? Common carrier and all of that?

And on to water which is typically provided by governments. If Comcast didn't have to open their infrastructure up to competitors surely you'd support turning that infrastructure over to local governments? Instead of, you know, allowing them to pass bills that don't even let local governments build their own infrastructure?

Or if capitalism is your starting and end goal please front me the cash to start my own operation. Providers in other countries show that a much better product can be delivered for far less and Comcast's numbers show it's crazy profitable. There's plenty of margin in it for me. And if other countries don't suit you Google has proven it can be done right here at home in the USA.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to josephf
"Any city would love you to build a fiber optic network in their town"

That's if the city does not have one of their own. They and build a fiber in EPB's territory and you will see how quickly they will behave like Comcast and AT&T.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to nothing00
It had heavy subsidies, tax breaks, and special incentives.

nothing00

Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

And so does almost every other large company out there. Comcast and Verizon are no exceptions.

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Industry driven

In an industry that is driven by volume, power and relatively low margins (to keep the small players away), its - 'Go big, or go home!'.
Comcast - like many others has chosen to 'Go big'.

When 'SpinCo' comes about, it will be a separate entity for the lower profit markets (read less densely populated and/or affluent), and SpinCo will do the same type of business in those markets.

Think of this not much differently than 'Ma Bell' being broken up by regulators on 'their' terms, then recombining into separate companies by business rationale vs. political.