dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-21 12:21:17: T-Mobile took a shot at Sprint, AT&T and Verizon today with a new promotion that gives the company's Simple Choice plan users unlimited LTE data for a year if they bring another user over to T-Mobile. ..

jimmyd87
join:2014-01-12
North Highlands, CA

jimmyd87

Anyone signing up for T-Mobile??

Give me your name and number so I can get this credit haha!
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

Re: Anyone signing up for T-Mobile??

said by jimmyd87:

Give me your name and number so I can get this credit haha!

How would I use my free year of LTE when the closest T-Mobile LTE is 60 miles away? I'd really hate paying more for T-Mobile than I do for Verizon and only be able to use 2G and even that is roaming.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

It's not all about you...

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

said by IPPlanMan:

It's not all about you...

Oh...

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Eh?
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
He spews this garbage in all the T-Mobile threads.

Mr Guy - We don't GAF about what services you can and can't get.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to jimmyd87

Premium Member

to jimmyd87
Too bad this is only for postpaid lol. Been happy on prepaid T-Mobile with cheap truly unlimited data(great thing is T-Mobile does not have an invisible throttling/termination threshold like around 2.5 GB for Straight Talk, Boost Mobile) and excellent voice quality, even when compared to the big guys on contract. But alas, no more contracts for me. I saw the light long ago. Much more economical to seek out a good deal on a phone and buy it up front then use prepaid. Easier too if it's an unlocked one and you move out of coverage area. Had to give up T-Mobile once when I lived in Verizon/AT&T only country but was easy peasy to switch the phone to AT&T then come back to T-Mobile when I moved away from there.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to jimmyd87

to jimmyd87
Damm. I just signed up for T-mobile today. I contemplating holdins g off a bit to see what new offers they had in response to Sprint's new offers. I should have followed my instints and waited. Oh well.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Holy crap...

T-Mobile keeps bringing the hits...
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

78036364 (banned)

Re: Holy crap...

Until your friends get mad at you because their signals goes away once they leave town.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Oh you...
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Now sprint needs to amp up their framly plan thing. Offer some amount of extra data along with discount. Heck even if it was not unlimited it could still be good for sprint to compete with tmobile. And like mentioned coverage area. As well as just number of friends you can get. Obviously you can only get unlimited lte once and im betting the 10 a month discount is a one time deal. So ten bucks off and unlimited vs say 30 off and 25 gigs or some such for sprint. (i have not looked at plan details for ither of them)
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Their new family pack has extra data per line when you switch carriers from elsewhere.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
So just this morning had a hard drive failure a computer here at work. I let someone borrow my Knoppix Linux Live CD and haven't gotten it back yet. Not wanting to saturate my work network, thanks to Sprint and their robust unlimited data network I was able to download the 3.8 GB ISO on to my phone in just over an hour, copy it over to my computer, burn it to DVD and recover the files I needed to all while I was reimaging a new drive.

If I was unfortunate enough to be on the little magenta carrier, I'd maybe have it downloaded in 2 years, considering it's nothing but 2G for a few dozen miles around here. Fuck T-Mobile!

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

That 12 miles of 2G will eventually be 12 miles of HSDPA/LTE by the end of 2015 as stated by the T-Mobile CTO, they are on track with network modernization.

Glad to hear Sprint has its act together in your area. Here there is no Sprint LTE or WiMax - just 3G and the native coverage since they killed the Nextel network is tiny -2 miles out of town and then roaming.

Actually, according to the coverage maps the entirety of NOVA has only 3G with random splotches of WiMax! Meanwhile VZ, AT&T, and T-Mobile have comprehensive LTE networks in the area....

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

Agreed. Looking at Sprint's LTE footprint in VA and DC is actually quite depressing...
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

You can thank nTelos for most of that.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Yes. Apparently Network Vision only goes so far...

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Well, with Network Vision, you can have visions about a nicer network that does not exist. Keep envisioning the network vision everybody, perhaps it will materialize when M. Son decides to buck up.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

It's flat out embarrassing at this point.

Network Vision needs its eyes checked...
I think Son bought the wrong company... Should have gotten T-Mobile instead.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to wkm001

Premium Member

to wkm001
they don't even serve Northern Virginia or DC - I assume they are squatting on spectrum licences? They do serve the Shenandoah Valley rather well going by the maps though.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi

Premium Member

Nova/DC I think is Shentel who usually does a decent job. nTelos is mostly central/southern VA and most of WV as well. Coverage in those areas is... lacking.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
Would be nice, but right now TMO here is 2G anywhere outside the city limits, while Sprint is 3G.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
You mad bro? Could of done the same thing on T-Mobile in probably half the time you spent downloading. Just depends on your area bruh.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

No not mad, just incredibly grateful I don't have the magenta colored joke called, T-Mobile.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Sounds like you're scared they'll pass Sprint like a shot in the next year...
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by IPPlanMan:

Sounds like you're scared they'll pass Sprint like a shot in the next year...

Why would I be scared? The little magenta carrier is a joke. I don't give a ratsass what they will offer by the end of 2015, all I know is I have LTE with Sprint when I need it today. Also don't give a ratass what coverage is like in DC.
said by jseymour:

said by Happydude32:

No not mad, just incredibly grateful I don't have the magenta colored joke called, T-Mobile.

Sounds more like you're annoyed because you don't.

Jim

Why would I be annoyed? I enjoy having a ~ 20Mb/10Mb connection on my phone at work. As opposed to 2G or no service with little magenta. There is zero AT&T reception where I work, unless one stands near one of the femtocells we installed, and if I still had Verizon that Linux ISO combined with an almost 2GB file I downloaded off of my company's FTP site would have eaten away at nearly 60% of the 10GB monthly cap I had with them, and my billing cycle just started over at the end of last week. Can't say I'm annoyed one bit.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Which stage are you at?
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Before you go off spouting quotes by some dead guy, why not answer my question on why I should be scared?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Looks like I struck a nerve. Thanks for making my point.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

What nerve did you strike?

•••
Expand your moderator at work

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Sounds more like you're annoyed because you don't.

Jim

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

He'll have to keep telling himself how he's grateful...

graycorgi
Premium Member

graycorgi to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
I don't know why anyone would be annoyed to not have EDGE...

Not Verizon
@71.112.3.x

Not Verizon to 78036364

Anon

to 78036364
Not true for the most of us. I've travelled domestically and internationally and have always had a decent signal. Maybe its just you? Or is it the fact you don't have T-Mobile serve, you listen to the crap from Verizon, or your Verizon stock is sinking?
System

to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

Kuro

Anon

Whats unlimited?

What counts as unlimited is it 2GB and then pay per gig after, or get throttled after XGB?
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

hmm

What good does this do for existing customers on older plans?
For example, if you already have an older unlimited plan, how would you get/give credit?

Makes sense for those on the "simple choice" plans, but what if the person you'd like to have refer you isn't on this plan, and they don't want to change?

I admit, it's a clever ploy, but I have no idea how they work out existing customers on their own unlimited data plans. I would have to imagine that they simply can't do this for referrals, which is kind of a stinker.

Are they essentially telling people to sign up for the $50/mo. (1GB) plan, and get free unlimited data for a year? Interesting that there'd be no incentive to go for a higher priced plan with this.

Honestly, I'm considering the switch, more and more, but just not quite ready to give up my Verizon.

delusion ftl
@204.124.13.x

delusion ftl

Anon

Re: hmm

These days the vast majority of their users are on simple choice since T-mobile allows current customers to take advantage of all their offers, and not just for new customers.

There are a few die hard users with cheap t-zones accounts tweaking with windows handsets to keep their plan, but since t-mobile's current pricing gets down to 20 dollars a line, and working to move them to the new plans fairly there's not a lot of them left around.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

4 recommendations

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I am okay with this!

T-Mobile doesn't have the best service/coverage, but I am okay with them shaking up the industry like this. I hope more people switch to them and they make AT&T/Verizon/Sprint sweat a little more.

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski

Premium Member

Re: I am okay with this!

I think you really just want them to focus on big red and the death star. We need four carriers to help with competition, so we don't end up like our friends to the north.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Re: I am okay with this!

said by grapkoski:

I think you really just want them to focus on big red and the death star. We need four carriers to help with competition, so we don't end up like our friends to the north.

That is true, but since Sprint is the third largest carrier in the US I think they should be included in the discussion. Competition is the only thing that will drive prices DOWN.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Whatever

I think it's supposed to read "Unlimited"*

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Doesn't Do Us Any Good

But...

Who cares? It's not about my wife and I, it's about TMO doing some Cool Stuff. We can't use it because we don't have LTE-capable devices, but it's still a cool thing for TMO to do, as a promotional thing.

Those of you who can't get "usable" T-Mobile service should likewise be grateful. T-Mobile doing these things is pressuring the others to also do cool things.

Jim

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

coverage sucks out side of large city's

They are going to have a hard time convincing me to join their 2G network.

•••••

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Sprint Counter-Punches: Targets T-Mobile With $60 Unlimited Plan

It’s a New Day for Unlimited Data

Jim
jimmyd87
join:2014-01-12
North Highlands, CA

jimmyd87

Re: Sprint Counter-Punches: Targets T-Mobile With $60 Unlimited Plan

I live in Sacramento, I have T-Mo my buddy has Sprint. I get reception in our house he does not. His phone lags behind mine as far as internet speeds go. I'm going to stick with T-Mo (used to have AT&T) but will be cool to see what if anything this does to T-Mo pricing

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to jseymour

to jseymour
It sure is...

Goodbye unlimited guarantee for new customers.... Genius move there Sprint.

»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 14-08-21

graycorgi
Premium Member

graycorgi

Premium Member

Yawn

Not going to matter to anyone here until these EDGE towers are lit up with LTE. They're way behind Sprint here. Not sure if people are going to want to wait another year or more for LTE when the other 3 carriers have the area completely covered with it.

•••

tmh
@173.13.197.x

tmh

Anon

Already have unlimited data

Capped after 5 gigs. So what's different with this promo?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Re: Already have unlimited data

It's unlimited "high speed" data...

TWC_User
join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles

TWC_User to tmh

to tmh
said by tmh :

Capped after 5 gigs. So what's different with this promo?

Learn how to read sir... it clearly said "Unlimited 4G LTE"... no caps, limit, or throttling at all.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Yawn...

T-Mobile tries, but it isn't prepaid, and it isn't unlimited.

If they wanted to be disruptive and earn a reputation for being forthright and honest, maybe they should be the first to dispense with "unlimited", and simply state an arbitrarily high cap, i.e. 100GB, and call it the "Enough Already" plan. Data hogs who might actually exceed the cap could buy a bucket of non-expiring data on the "More than enough" plan, to tide them over rather than being throttled.

ShakeEmUp
@199.168.151.x

ShakeEmUp

Anon

Re: Yawn...

Thanks guy. The "Enough Already" plan and "More than Enough" plan brought a smile to my face which is more than I can say about the rest of this thread.

Some people here keep trying to beat a dead horse! No carrier is perfect with 100% coverage whereever you go. YMMV with each one -- you have to choose the one that fits you best and let the other guy do the same.

I for one am happy with ole' Magenta shaking things up. It keeps my carrier (not TMO) on their feet and that benefits me in the long run.