dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-25 09:12:11: A British man has received nearly three years in prison for pirating a copy of Fast and Furious 6. ..

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Wrong

The moron got busted for selling movies then after he got busted was still selling movies and posting about it on his facebook page. Here is the full story. However still BS he can get the same time in jail as someone who tried to kill someone.

»torrentfreak.com/no-vpn- ··· -140822/
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

Re: Wrong

said by TOPDAWG:

However still BS he can get the same time in jail as someone who tried to kill someone.

Only in America

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

2 recommendations

Killa200

Premium Member

Except when it is in the UK
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

sarcasm detection eludes you

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

1 recommendation

Killa200

Premium Member

Sorry, my online sarcasm detector only works with 3 or less words when followed by a roll eyes, guess I better get an upgrade for it
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

2 recommendations

Rekrul to 78036364

to 78036364
said by 78036364:

Only in America

If this had happened in America, they would have piled on the charges until he ended up in prison for 5-6 years.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

4 recommendations

elefante72

Or roll up with SWAT, shoot the dog, and put 12 bullets in him.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

1 recommendation

clone (banned)

No, no, no. Here in America, we roll up with SWAT to the 85-year old grandmother's house next door to the pirate, bust her in the skull, shoot her dog, and throw a grenade into her great-grandbaby's crib.

Then we refuse to admit we did anything wrong and tell anyone who thinks we should apologize that they are police hating scum and that the terrorists are going to win and it's us vs. them and I'm coming home alive, goddamnit!

Even though a police officer's job is statistically safer than a steelworker's, a taxi driver, a logger, a fisherman, a pilot, a truck driver, an electric company worker, or a roofer. None of whom are allowed to act like children when they make mistakes and blame it on the "stress of the job".
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
I think his real mistake was certainly the selling of pirate DVDs of the cam job, While piracy is always illegal and depending on state/country video cameras in the theater are illegal or at least against the theater rules. Once they sell pirated material they will find the person.

Normally i do not care enough about hollywood to support a piracy sting, uploading is not that damaging. However pirated DVDs can impact the business.

They also hit this guy because unlike the pirate DVDs you commonly would see sold in a China Town or on a blanket in a subway station his had no connection to organized crime making it an easy takedown. the Chinatown and Subway DVDs tend to come from larger organizations requiring a large interpol effort.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved

The biggest mistake is buying a cam job.

VladImpaler
@73.54.141.x

VladImpaler

Anon

Who ever said criminals were smart?

I have no sympathy for they guy, even though I'm not a big supporter of content blackmail by film-makers.

The way I see it, this guy is an idiot. If you're going to make a copy in theater (sort of stupid in the first place), then you sure as hell don't advertise it on your Facebook page! You seed it quietly.

So he is really in prison for stupidity.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Re: Who ever said criminals were smart?

Agree completely. They really had no reason to go after him so strongly. His copy was totally inferior to a VHS let alone a bluray. But if you want to throw your balls around...
I wonder if he also posted his demise on FB.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by dnoyeB:

Agree completely. They really had no reason to go after him so strongly. His copy was totally inferior to a VHS let alone a bluray. But if you want to throw your balls around...
I wonder if he also posted his demise on FB.

So what, knockoff Rolexes are inferior in quality you don't say "Well they're just cheap knock offs so don't prosecute". I think he got the time more for the selling of the DVDs than the seeding. Though I'm sure the pro-torrent people will gloss over that and make him into some sort of martyr
clone (banned)
Portage, IN

3 recommendations

clone (banned)

Just like knockoff "RoIex" watches, everyone buying the DVDs knows they are counterfeit. Anyone who would actually be purchasing a ticket to a theater, or a real BluRay or DVD isn't going to be fooled by some shaky handycam copy of the film.

The market for the two products are completely different. When you buy a "RoIex" you don't do it at a Rolex dealer. You get it from local swap meet/flea market. You know what you're getting. Just like if you walk into an actual Rolex dealer, you know what you're getting.

If this guy were selling knockoff DVD's/BluRays in counterfeit "original" packaging through normal distribution channels to legitimate resellers, then yes, throw the book at him. That's what copyright is designed to prevent...someone passing off your work as an original when they aren't authorized to do so.

This is the publishing equivalent of someone taking a whole book to the Xerox machine and running off the pages one by one then selling it to his buddy. It shouldn't be allowed, but it also doesn't warrant jailtime. Only a corporatist/fascist authoritarian would conflate the two situations. I think we know where you fall on the spectrum.

NYDude25
join:2007-08-23
Massapequa, NY

NYDude25

You've got to make examples of people so word gets out that doing this has consequences.
clone (banned)
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

Nothing like the good old-fashioned iron fist of fascism to keep people in line, right?

I mean think about it, the more people we can get into the for-profit prisons the more security guard jobs we can create so people will have jobs to be able to afford go to the movie theatre!

NYDude25
Massapequa, NY

NYDude25

Who makes money off of a prison? The corrections officers in the prisons cost the taxpayers money. The state isn't making a profit from prisoners, and NYC spends a fortune on Rikers Island.

dynomutt
@160.79.209.x

dynomutt

Anon

Rikers Island is a holding pen.
Read the wiki page.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ri ··· s_Island
The prison industrial complex consists of private prisons that make substantial amounts of money from government requirements that one argues gets funneled back in various illicit ways to judges and politicians. Do some searches and learn something.

NYDude25
Massapequa, NY

NYDude25

Well, I guess this isn't an issue that NY'ers know about because NY doesn't allow any "private" prisons. Pity on those states that do, but why would their citizens have allowed such a thing?
And you can read the wiki page about it here:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr ··· versight
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

1 recommendation

Kamus to VladImpaler

to VladImpaler
So basically, being an idiot with no harm to anyone should land you in jail for 3 years?
I can't bring myself to agree with you, and your opinion is about as idiotic as what he did. But no, I don't want to see you in jail for 3 years just for that.
Even a 3 month sentence would be too harsh of a punishment, 3 years is plain evil.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well this is a purely civil monetary issue, so the "punishment" should be remuneration or the like, not jail time. However for some reason the US (and it seems UK) is still in the 19th century in its justice system.

In the case of some big conglomerate (say bank of america) they scam $50 billion and have to pay $15 billion back. So this guys makes $3000 selling DVD's, charge him $10,000 or whatever and throw in some community service.

The entire point of the civil justice system is for the person to "learn" their lesson and in the case of pirating copies that should be a tit for tat judgement.

NYDude25
Massapequa, NY

NYDude25

Huh? Bernie Madoff had a "civil monetary issue", yet he'll be behind bars for a long time. I'm sure he asked if he could just pay a fine and avoid jail.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

Madoff only got time because he stole from other rich people, if he had just stole from everyone else like the rest f the banksters he'd have only paid slap on the wrist fine if the story went public at all.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

why jailtime?

bankers steal billions and get fined.

so why would a pirate go to jail
when it's basically royalty theft.

i would have garnished his wages,
and/or kept him offline for years.

not turn him into a street criminal
by throwing him into a violent jail.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: why jailtime?

He was charged and convicted for piracy. It likely would have been a fine and probation. He was sentensed for being an arrogant asshole AFTER being charged.

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

Re: why jailtime?

said by Camelot One:

He was charged and convicted for piracy

We all know how the English despise Pirates! He was clearly sentenced in a bias courtroom!

Cheers

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to Camelot One

to Camelot One
If being an arrogant asshole is enough to get sentenced to three years in prison, then I can think of a lot of talk-show radio hosts who should be very worried.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Packeteers

to Packeteers
Bankers are usually smart enough to not go on Facebook and brag about their exploits.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to Packeteers

to Packeteers
Piracy is evil, theft from the public however is just buisness as usual.
SilentMan
join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

1 recommendation

SilentMan

Cam DVDs Suck

I wouldn't pay 10 cents for a cam dvd. One must be really desperate to watch a movie like that.

Why would anybody risk jail pirating such a bad movie? Geez!
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

Re: Cam DVDs Suck

said by SilentMan:

I wouldn't pay 10 cents for a cam dvd. One must be really desperate to watch a movie like that.

Why would anybody risk jail pirating such a bad movie? Geez!

That's exactly what i were thinking. Shitty video or music quality rips suck big time.

anonomeX
@71.207.157.x

1 recommendation

anonomeX

Anon

Time served.

Having to sit through the movie wasn't punishment enough?

•••

Evergreener
Sent By Grocery Clerks
join:2001-02-20
Evergreen, CO

Evergreener

Coincidence?

33 months... I think not.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Meanwhile....

In the USA you would be let out early because of overcrowding.

SmartIdiot
@76.179.224.x

SmartIdiot

Anon

Re: Meanwhile....

said by Beezel:

In the USA you would be let out early because of overcrowding.

No you wouldn't. As stated: Prisons are PRIVATIZED, THEREFORE, THEY ARE FOR-PROFIT. Plus you can exploit cheap labor by forcing inmates to do carpentry among other things and pay them less than fifty cents which is apparently called "Cell Rent" whilst selling their work for a huge margin. I think you would be surprised at how much money prisons make. Look it up. More inmates = more money.

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso

Ridiculous

Three years in prison for a non-violent crime involving a movie? Wealthy people beat their wives and steal millions with impunity.