dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-25 16:30:40: Back in 2012 Verizon unveiled their "Home Fusion" fixed LTE service, which involved installing a "cantenna" on the side of the house, then offering users the choice of 10, 20 and 30 GB monthly allotments for $60, $90 or $120 respectively, per month. ..

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

5 recommendations

rit56

Lack of competition

People with no options forced into shitty overpriced internet service. It should be regulated as a utility.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

AT&T's Version

We are using the AT&T equivalent (simply dubbed "Wireless Home Phone and Internet") as a backup for our Sprint Grandfathered 3G. It works pretty nice (although the pricing is high $100 for 10 GB, so it's just for gaming and when the Sprint goes down), I wonder if there's enough interest to write a review of it.

It'd be nice if AT&T would match Verizon's prices, oh well.

We used to have Verizon 4G, but they started selling a lot more 4G so the range on the tower shrinks as more and more people got on it. So we left. The AT&T tower doesn't have this problem.
98778011 (banned)
join:2014-08-24
Charlotte, NC

98778011 (banned) to rit56

to rit56

Re: Lack of competition

If one bothers to look at where it's offered- it's not even offered by the wireline side. Instead its offered by Cellco Partnership aka Verizon Wireless. Not the same company at all.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

2 recommendations

Onedollar

After the vodaphone purchase ($130 B) finalized in Feb 2014, it is now considered same company.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to rit56

to rit56
Overpriced, yes, but, if you get a good LTE signal, the service itself isn't necessarily shitty, especially out in rural areas, where the towers aren't overloaded. I was out in a really rural corner of Alabama yesterday, where the best DSL you can get from CenturyLink is 256k, and I was pulling 20/5 on my Note 2.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to AmericanMan

Premium Member

to AmericanMan

Re: AT&T's Version

Last I looked they offered a 10GB plan for $60 like Verizon. But it seems to require the $20 home phone service.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Why is this news?

Companies changing the branding of a service is not infrequent.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

So that people can bash Verizon again

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Verizon's replacement for wireline...disgusting

Well, a friend of mine has been going through some broadband trials after being forced to move out to a rural area. Verizon has no DSL out of that CO or the remotes, even though there is tons of fiber in the area and the RT's are all early 2000's/late 90's lightspans that are DSL capable with upgrades.

His loop is 700 feet. Perfect for DSL. Many houses nearby. Verizon has said no in many ways to deploying service but they kept recommending LTE Internet (Installed). He is so pissed with VZ he is going with Exede, and so is everyone else on the street. (not like there is any other choice, AT&T 3G is so overloaded its useless, and T-Mobile only has EDGE. No cable.)

This shit (good performance/bad value) product is what VZ is replacing its non-FIOS wireline network with. High costs, high performance.

A bad joke, for an ILEC that made $31 billion dollars last quarter.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem

Premium Member

it's not about the fiber, or the DSLAMS. It's about the Union labor associated with wireline.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Its really about the VZ management wanting to do everything the absolute cheapest, hack-job, fastest route while being able to fleece customers to an extreme while returning extreme dividends to the shareholders.

If the CWA was such a massive problem you would see the other ILEC's pulling the same antics to kill their plant. (AT&T does it to an extent, but the others not so much).

Its amazing what happens when you remove the wireless cash cow from the equation - semi-rural customers tend to get paid attention to a bit more.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
I'd go with Exede too in that case. Verizon doesn't deserve the business.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Don't pull down anything at 20 Mbit/sec for more than an hour or so or you'll blow right through that 10GB cap!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Zenit_IIfx

MVM

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: Verizon's replacement for wireline...disgusting

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Its really about the VZ management wanting to do everything the absolute cheapest, hack-job, fastest route while being able to fleece customers to an extreme while returning extreme dividends to the shareholders.

So if CWA members became shareholders they would balance part of the equation, and could avoid part of the downside if they did not buy the product. Best of all worlds because they'd at least have a job.

Cheap labor = working + extreme dividends while not being fleeced.

On the serious side, I've seen both sides of the labor environment, and sometimes it seems like politics in Washington: everybody gripes that they're not getting enough, that there is no fairness, and in the end nothing changes much. Don't get me wrong. Fight for what you believe, but remember the other side is doing the same.

The pendulum swings.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

Mentioned here as well....

»Home Fusion vs Satellite.

on 2014-Aug-3 3:20 pm....
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx

Has he looked into a T1? He might be able to get a quote for $150/month, if he's that close.

I got a quote, but out where we live it'd be like $400/month.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna

Re: A little late on this one Karl . . . .

Gotta love people who have to toot their own horn for attention.

neill6705
join:2014-08-09

neill6705 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Speedtest shows 50/10mbps on my GS3 on AT&T LTE, which makes me sad that the data caps are so small because the only alternative is 20/>1mbps DSL through Centurylink. I guess I shouldn't complain. Other people have it much worse.
98778011 (banned)
join:2014-08-24
Charlotte, NC

98778011 (banned) to Onedollar

to Onedollar
The company is still organized as Cellco Partnership. And it's not the same company when they have sub companies that operate different brands. Much like AT&T does not own AT&T Mobility, LLC. It's AT&T Mobility that operates the wireless unit.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx

said by Zenit_IIfx:

A bad joke, for an ILEC that made $31 billion dollars last quarter.

The ILEC made $9.8 billion; the majority of the $31 billion is from the wireless entity.

VZ is profit-driven. If your friend and his neighbors were willing to pay the regional price for Fios, they would certainly deploy it.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

2 recommendations

pittpete1

it's not about the fiber, or the DSLAMS. It's about the Union labor.........

That same union labor that made it all possible to be in the position it is in today?
That same union labor that installed miles of fiber on poles that sits unused because upper management can't see past the present?
That same union labor that went without pay raises while the CEO and upper management increased their salaries ten fold?

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to rit56

Mod

to rit56

The speed is quite something and the ping is acceptable for online gaming.

No movies/TV shows or other streaming, no downloading new or redownloading existing games and related content, etc 'cause if you do it's going to be a real butthurt. Can't do anything but check e-mail.
tomas67
join:2006-10-14
Villa Park, IL

tomas67 to rit56

to rit56
I agree.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to 98778011

Premium Member

to 98778011
You are confusing owned with managed/operated. AT&T most certainly does own AT&T Mobility.

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall

Anon

$120 for 30GB!

Damn that's pricey. At 4 bucks a gig, even a flash drive is cheaper than that. And that's before the taxman takes his cut. Wow. I'm glad I don't live in those areas.
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Off peak hours would be nice

This would offer much higher value if they could implement off peak hours usage. Data after 9 or 10 PM doesn't count toward the cap or something along those lines. Other wise system updates, app downloads simply can't be done on any of these allotments.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii

Yeah, but damn will that e-mail be fast!
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

wonderful

Wonderful!!! A super awesome service which I can blow through the monthly usage cap with a couple simple speed test!!!!~

Progress in AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously, our cost to usability ratio sucks when it clearly shouldn't