spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-26 16:26:07: TiVO this week expanded their device portfolio with a $50 unit that the company hopes appeals to cord cutters. The new TiVO Roamio OTA DVR features four tuners, a 500 GB hard drive and the ability to record and manage over the air broadcasts. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

pokeydsl

join:2002-10-11

2 recommendations

$15/month deal killer!

Seems ridiculous to have to pay $180 per year for the privilege of recording a OTA program.. Won't succeed in the long run. :-(

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

$50, huh?

They should give it away considering the ridiculous amount they charge for the programming guide monthly ($14.99). I did not see an lifetime offer, but if there was one I am sure it would be in line with all the other products, excluding the mini ($499.99).

I will however, be getting one as I am sure this will help to convert the wife.

Lets Go

join:2005-03-05
Homer, NY

$15 a month

Don't forget about the $15 monthly service fee. Also no lifetime offered so you pay the $15 a month as long as you use the unit.
--

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Hmmm.

I currently have a TiVo HD with lifetime service which I got in '07, back when I had digital cable. I've never felt the need to upgrade, since for OTA channels there is not much point. But if TiVo ever came up with a compelling lifetime service migration offer from an old box to one of these, I'd bite.

Given the lack of such deals in the last few years, I will not hold my breath.

I've always been a big fan of the TiVo OS / user interface, especially when the alternative was appalling junk like the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD. But as I have been converting to more of a network-based media sharing model at home, I think I will look into Simple.TV.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to pokeydsl

Re: $15/month deal killer!

This is where I still don't "get it" either. Build the cost in, or don't bother. If it was simply a $200 box, let's say, it might be worthwhile for ...something...
As it stands, I'm content with my media center PC and antenna. Soon, it may also take over for the Dish services, and integrate a cable tuner (HD Homerun Prime).

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

quality dvrs

Right now there are not a lot of familiar easy to use dvr's for OTA so this could help ease people into switching off of cable to ota. Especially going down from 85+ to $15 a year. Usually people balk that the dvr costs something since people are used to renting from their cable company for a crummy dvr (scientific Atlantic pong style interface dvr's i am looking at you). They did drop the upfront price down from 250 to $50 which is significant. i love my tivos and dont plan to change but i already got some with lifetime subscription.

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
I paid $50 a couple of years ago for a tiny little box that fits in the palm of my hand, hook my OTA coax to one side cat6 to the other and Walla free DVR with Windows media player! I cant see why people still want to pay after cutting the cord?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Probably in light of Aereo (and what is there to record these days)

Since the US Supreme Court killed Aereo calling it retransmission TiVo saw a market in recording OTA TV but since the device sits at the customer's premises it's not retransmission in any form. But in my opinion it's basically a fancy VCR. A

If I'm going to pay TiVo for a subscription, I might as well feed it with quality programming from a cableco. The only thing I watch on local broadcast tv is the local news. The programming offered by the networks has shot to hell. The '90s had much better TV shows worth watching like Home Improvement (with Tim Allen, not the DSLR forum), ER with George Clooney, and a few others. No wonder the networks are suffering, TV isn't what it used to be. The only good things I watch are Fox News, the Weather Channel, and the evening news. There are no sitcoms that interest me, even Hollywood has shot to hell. I haven't been to a theater in at least a couple of years.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

Not bad for under $400 new

I've had TiVos for years and this is a good deal if you can add lifetime on, which I'm sure you'll be able to for $300. Yeah, it ain't cheap, but for easy OTA, there is no competition. Sorry, but WMC doesn't count as easy for wives and/or novices.

--
Marriage Equality | Consumerist

join:2014-05-06
USA
It sucks. I would never own a Tivo. Pay for a device them pay $15 a month for what? Funny I remember buying a VCR and all you had to pay for after that was tape.

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to Lets Go

Re: $15 a month

said by Lets Go:

Don't forget about the $15 monthly service fee. Also no lifetime offered so you pay the $15 a month as long as you use the unit.

Thats what I've been seeing too, that no lifetime will be offered on this box. If they would lower the monthly price to around $6.95 a month it would make it more appealing, but with the monthly of $15 a month for as long as you use it, you might as well just get the base Roamio that can be used with OTA or cable, and can be lifetimed at purchase, or later on at some point.

ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC

No Mini support either

This 4 tuner DVR doesn't support the Tivo Mini, which means no whole-home DVR service with it, which is just stupid.

mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM

1 recommendation

reply to jgkolt

Re: quality dvrs

How about Windows Media Center for a PC? Add an ATSC card or better yet a Silicon Dust HDHOMERUN and you're good to go.

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state

Any offline alternatives?

Anybody know of ones that are completely offline? Ones that let you record from any source (not even necessarily including HDMI, Component would be good enough quality, since I know all of the issues with HDCP) and watch it either on the device or, as an added bonus, any device within the Local Area Network.

We have an old DVD-DVR that I've considered dusting off. It records to either rewriteable or write-once DVDs. It served us well many years ago, and the DVDs that it records are not DRM'ed, so they can be easily ripped. I believe it only has SVideo and Composite Cables for input, and there's no network connectivity.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
I have a home PC that doubles as a DVR. I bought a hauppauge TV tuner, and it records OTA HD. No problems serving those recordings to my blu-rays or FireTV's.

Windows media center is what I use to schedule the recordings.
--
Cord Cutter Hauppauge DTV Tuner Card PlayOn.tv Hulu.com Netflix.com Windows Media Center Guide.
Here's how »homes.yahoo.com/news/how-to-pay-···275.html

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

sorry

I don't mess with commercials. That stuff eats up too much time and my time is worth a hell of a lot more than that.
--
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
reply to ncted

Re: No Mini support either

Thanks for pointing that out. Pretty much kills it for me.

PacWe097

@174.21.164.x

No More Paywalls/Opportunity for Smart TVs

I don't miss cable but what Tivo and or Microsoft and some others don't wholly understand is that consumers are tired of the pay walls.
XBox, LG Smart TVs, et have paywalls, you pay for the right to use the app on their device, that app connects you to the subscription content you already pay for. There's no value add to the consumer just a paywall to get to content we already pay license to view and are not charged to use on most other devices.
Tivo is doing something similar here, a paywall to access the content that comes free over the air.

Seems like an opportunity for Smart TV manufacturers to build in this DVR type functionality for OTA signals directly into the television/monitor. Doesn't need to be fancy or force ads or even use subscription services, just need a very light UI with input the time and channel(s) and for playback. SSD hard drives are so tiny these days they would easily fit in for prolonged storage.

I'm lucky my quad UHF antenna picks up all the local stations and with digital signals PBS has multiple OTA channels to choose from - Can't miss my masterpiece mysteries..

Wouldn't buy this or any device that puts up paywalls.

join:2014-05-06
USA
said by PacWe097 :

XBox, LG Smart TVs, et have paywalls, you pay for the right to use the app on their device, that app connects you to the subscription content you already pay for.

XBOX removed the Gold requirement for everything but online gaming back in June.

NYDude25

join:2007-08-23
Massapequa, NY
reply to pokeydsl

Yup, Tivo is definitely going after the wrong crowd with this offer. Trying to get customers who can't afford basic cable to pay $15 a month for the guide service, as well as buying the dvr and antenna, is a bad idea.

anonafish

@98.231.176.x
reply to pokeydsl
This. If it was just the one time box fee, sure I'd be all over this, even at a higher price than $50 for the box. Having to pay $15/month for OTA programs...haha yeah right Tivo..Do you really expect people in my age group, late 20's, to fall for something like this.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to CaptainRR

Re: quality dvrs

Yep. I have a Dell Zinio (now discontinued) that works great as a media PC. Go to Amazon and search on Intel NUC to see hardware that is available today. The newest NUCs are just 4"x4" so they are really unobtrusive.

bigboy

join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA
reply to amungus

said by amungus:

Build the cost in, or don't bother.

Sorry - market doesn't agree with you. With Chromecast at $35 and Roku sticks going for $50 (not to mention the multitude of streaming boxes for $99 or less), the market is conditioned to cheap hardware subsidized by other means.

It is what it is.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ncted

Re: No Mini support either

It does. You need to get a Moca adapter.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to pokeydsl

Yeah, without Lifetime, this thing is DOA, especially targeting the cord cutter audience.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to Lets Go

well you are just renting it then?
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

innoman
-
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

1 recommendation

reply to bigboy

That's not the same as this. Roku and Chromecast are devices that have 3rd party apps. This is a box that requires a service from the same company.

There is no reasonable way to justify $15/month for nothing more than guide service, that's absurd! I don't understand why people even still use Tivo--aside from those who would have to pay about the same for their Cable DVR.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to MeInDallas

Well this is essentially a $200 roamio for $50. They need to make up that extra $150 somehow. In any case you buy it and then throw it out in 2 years when something better comes along. This is a 1 year commitment. Do you think Tivo wont make you a deal after the 1 year?

I looked at Tablo which is $300 with a drive and they charge $5 a month for service., so after 1 year we are looking at $360. After 1 year of tivo $210. And that is all you have to commit to. For my rents, Time warner wants $19 a month just for broadcast, plus you need boxes at $8 each. Compare that!

I know Tivo will be around, but Tablo or the death torch simple.tv?

MeInDallas

Dallas, TX
This is why I use Windows Media Center and a Ceton 6 tuner card. I dont care what Tivo has to make up, thats not my problem. I have 6 unsubscribed Tivo's sitting here now that are worthless, that Tivo wont make me a deal on, so sit in the closet floor they will. Some people will argue that WMC is no longer being developed, but it still works for me and many others.

MeInDallas

Dallas, TX
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

well you are just renting it then?

You buy the box for $50 and then $14.99 a month indefinately is what they are saying now. That can always change at some point. Tivo has been known to change their pricing, and they might if enough people were to speak up, and if Tivo sees they can make money offering lifetime on the box.