dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-26 16:26:07: TiVO this week expanded their device portfolio with a $50 unit that the company hopes appeals to cord cutters. The new TiVO Roamio OTA DVR features four tuners, a 500 GB hard drive and the ability to record and manage over the air broadcasts. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

1 edit

PamelaTS to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: $15/month deal killer!

Your incorrect it will indeed work with the Mini
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to anonafish

to anonafish
said by anonafish :

This. If it was just the one time box fee, sure I'd be all over this, even at a higher price than $50 for the box. Having to pay $15/month for OTA programs...haha yeah right Tivo..Do you really expect people in my age group, late 20's, to fall for something like this.

Sadly, your age group, not you specifically, are used to high fee cell phone plans. Tivo feels that they can use this foolishness to their advantage.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Cut the cord just to have a montly fee anyways.. Might as well pay a little more and get more channels with that monthly parasite

NYDude25
join:2007-08-23
Massapequa, NY

1 edit

NYDude25 to BiggA

to BiggA
You may be correct. According to the Tivo website:

TiVo Roamio OTA enables consumers to record up to four shows simultaneously, storing 75 high-definition hours of programming. The new antenna DVR and streaming device allows consumers to enjoy and record entertainment from their favorite local networks, where available, including ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and Univision over-the-air and popular internet video services such as Netflix, YouTube, and many others.

TV lovers can expect the same great award-winning experience as the TiVo Roamio family of DVRs, including universal search, free mobile applications, browse and compatibility with TiVo Stream and TiVo Mini devices to extend the TV experience throughout the home and beyond. TiVo Roamio OTA does not require a cable card, providing consumers with a top-notch entertainment experience at a minimal price. For customers looking to access cable channels, TiVo offers the TiVo Roamio, TiVo Roamio Plus and TiVo Roamio Pro devices.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker

Re: $15 a month

Your clueless if you think it's only a glorified vcr. TiVo is capable of so much more! Can your vcr stream Netflix, Hulu, YouTube video; NO. Can your VCR download PodCast; NO! Does your VCR know you like something and automatically get it for you when it's on; NO.

What's the recording capacity of that tape? How many separate channels can your VCR record simultaneously, oh is that all....
PamelaTS

PamelaTS to ncted

to ncted

Re: No Mini support either

Wrong it does indeed support the TiVo Mini
Paul in WA
join:2010-09-11
Centralia, WA

Paul in WA to tyscoj

to tyscoj

Re: Videos are getting old

I did the same a few months ago. My media center computer was on it's last legs and rather than buy a new 'puter I just took the easier path and got the Tivo model that was able to receive OTA. The $15 is worth it to me.

belawrence
They'll never let you in
join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA
ARRIS WBM760
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

belawrence to 78036364

to 78036364

Re: Not bad for under $400 new

said by 78036364 See Profile
I still have to do a bunch of shit instead of just going to wal-mart buying a small box and hooking it up to my TV. I don't care to use WMC. just want a box.
[/bquote :

Nothing is that easy, except for those OTA tuners with no guide and no DVR functionality - there will always be some amount of setup involved, like:
- hooking up to an OTA antenna and Internet (wired or wireless)
- running channel scan
- repointing antenna
- running channel scan again
- for new Tivo users, setting up a Tivo account

BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to NYDude25

Premium Member

to NYDude25

Exactly. It's on the TiVo website. Engadget got the lack of MoCA and lack of Mini support confused. You can use Ethernet or a MoCA adapter with the Roamio OTA to connect the Minis.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to gkloepfer

Premium Member

to gkloepfer
said by gkloepfer:

.... the YEARLY Schedules Direct subscription (guide information) is $25. To heck with that $15/month stuff!

The Hauppague unit receives EPG data and has a nice schedule page. All free. Of course, it's not a "yearly" schedule, but even that is available free on the net.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

1 edit

ieolus to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: quality dvrs

Who said it doesn't have TiVo Mini support?

Edit: Nevermind. It isn't on the Tivo.com website anymore that Minis are supported.
real_goose
join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL

real_goose to banditws6

to banditws6

TiVo Series 3 HD is still a good option

said by banditws6:

currently have a TiVo HD with lifetime service...I've never felt the need to upgrade, since for OTA channels there is not much point.

I'm very happy with my lifetime TiVo HD for OTA in my man cave. These Series 3 units have a stellar reputation for OTA reception. Based on completed Ebay sales, it should be possible to buy a TiVo Series 3 HD with lifetime service for about $200.

So for about $200 each, 2 TiVo Series 3 HDs would break even in less than 2 years compared to a Romio and mini. You'd have 4 tuners and can transfer completed recordings to any other TiVo (or other devices with appropriate software and some work).
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to PamelaTS

to PamelaTS

Yes it is more robust, but many things you mentioned come on smart tv's and blu ray players.

Regardless, $15 a month for a guide (which is the main reason you are paying) is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Probably in light of Aereo (and what is there to record these days)

I never looked at it this way but you are right.

It is basically Aereo, but you buy the antennae that sits in your house and does the same thing for about $7 more a month than Aereo.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Skippy25

to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Yes it is more robust, but many things you mentioned come on smart tv's and blu ray players.

Regardless, $15 a month for a guide (which is the main reason you are paying) is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

If it is the only TiVo perhaps, I have two already (Both Premieres/lifetime) currently both are OTA Only. If I needed another OTA Only it might be something I could consider, remembering it's much easier to replace/expand the HD in a Roamio than a Premiere. Expandability to 3TB simply by replacing the drive with a WD AV drive.

That said I'm more likely to add a Roamio Basic, put a 3TB drive in it and have one cable card/tuning adapter keeping my Premieres OTA (8 tuners - 4OTA/4Cable
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Re: Any offline alternatives?

Hey thanks! Wow those are more affordable than I would've thought....
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

EXACTLY!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Review: TiVo Roamio vs. TiVo Roamio OTA

A review on the Heavy.com site:

Best Cord Cutter Device: TiVo Roamio vs. TiVo Roamio OTA
By Tucker Cummings, Heavy.com - Updated September 8, 2014
»heavy.com/tech/2014/09/b ··· mio-ota/
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112

Premium Member

snarky whiners...kindly shut it

Holy crap, you guys are whining like a bunch of 13 yr old know it alls. It reads like the flame wars of Apple vs Microsoft or iPhone vs Android, etc. You are using what fits you. I would setup something similar to what many of you use but then I'd have to support it. Teach wife and kids how to run. I can hand them a TiVo remote and it just works. Thats what your paying for. Same as iPhone..I held out for a long time. But I got tired of supporting (insert trendy phone at that time) every time someone wanted to do something other than call. Had a 5 yr old walk around store and only thing they could run without being taught was an iPhone. The older you get and the more crap you gotta do and the more you are pulled in different directions the less time you want to monkey around with stuff you gotta learn to use.

I cut the cord earlier this year as well but I'm in my 40s. I'm a datacenter engineer and have been cutting cords for a decade. Ran VOIP at home since 2005. Once off a RAZR2 running internet and the VOIP calling (before ATT instituted caps you could bypass the lock with Motorola's own software). Then switched to Google Voice once that was viable.

Anyways, I test ran a HD antenna off an old TiVO HD XL still used and no one noticed that I was running it in parallel to my TiVo Premiere using Time Warner cable cuz most of us watched network programming when we were together as a family but streamed everything else off of devices (iPad, Roku, Apple TV). In fact, with Hulu, Netflix and Amazon most of watch thru those services most of the time anyways. Also, figured out how to stream NFL games for whole season from NFL servers.

Stop trying to put down what they're trying. I might buy it if my old TiVo gives out but I've got a Premiere XL4, Mini and Stream that are sitting around doing nothing since January when I cut cord. Doesnt really pay to sell since I've already lifetimed everything. Anyways, focus on the positive and the cost isnt that much more than the Starbucks you're probably amped up writing these "biting" responses.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3