spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-28 08:19:25: Add NewWave Communications (see our user reviews) to the growing list of ISPs large and small that are promising to soon offer 1 Gbps speeds -- albeit to a tiny portion of their overall subscribers. ..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

year of FTTPR[fiber to the press release] announcements.
--
Despises any post with strings.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR

Where's the "fiber-to-the-press-release" remark?

What, no snide "fiber-to-the-press-release" remark? What makes these guys so special? The announcement mentions a few locations, but doesn't give any pricing information. It's no better than the big ISP announcements you joke about.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

1 edit

Thank you Google for making 1 Gbps a growing reality

Google Fiber set this trend on fire of offering gigabit internet broadband access to wide areas including residential customers and at passable prices. Before Google none of the majors providers were even dreaming of offering this type of bandwidth to the average Joe.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to fg8578

Re: Where's the "fiber-to-the-press-release" remark?

If you were to actually read the article you would see that they plan to use docsis 3.1 AKA cable to achieve this. I wouldnt be surprised to see 1 gig become mainstream once providers implement 3.1

fg8578

Salem, OR
said by duffman45200:

If you were to actually read the article you would see that they plan to use docsis 3.1 AKA cable to achieve this. I wouldnt be surprised to see 1 gig become mainstream once providers implement 3.1

I read the article. Have you ever read one of Bode's "fiber-to-the-press-release" complaints?

He usually complains about lack of specifics on three things: pricing, location availability, and timing of availability. This announcement gives some vague information about locations, and timing, but no specifics about pricing. Yet it gets a pass from Bode.

If AT&T or Comcast had written this, you can be sure he'd be whining about it.

join:2014-08-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to fg8578
The only one that's never joked nor criticized for their FTTR is Google. I wonder why NewWave is different as well?

Charlotte, NC
reply to fg8578
Always!

Charlotte, NC
reply to josephf

Re: Thank you Google for makinh 1 Gbps a growing reality

Any company could have done this and it was done before Google. Don't give Google any credit for something they never started. It's just that Karl is the only one who runs everything about Google.

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to 98778011

said by 98778011:

The only one that's never joked nor criticized for their FTTR is Google.

That's because google is actually deploying fiber and has actual paying customers in KC. Given their track record, I'd say they've earned a pass.

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to josephf

said by josephf:

Google Fiber set this trend on fire of offering gigabit internet broadband access to wide areas including residential customers and at passable prices. Before Google none of the majors providers were even dreaming of offering this type of bandwidth to the average Joe.

You should read this Gig.U report. They try to take credit for the gigabit trend.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

They still seem to have alot of analog tv channels on there

They still seem to have alot of analog tv channels on there cable system.

Don't they need to start getting rid of them to add this faster speed + more HD?

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
reply to josephf

Google set a trend of $70 Gbit, but not the first with Gbit. They are setting customer expectations for cheap unlimited broadband no matter the top speed offered.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42
reply to fg8578

Someone bitched about it last week saying I'd worn out the joke, so amusingly I left it out this go round only to be bitched at for leaving it out.

damned if ya do, damned if ya don't...

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Joe12345678

Re: They still seem to have alot of analog tv channels on there

Doesn't it depend on their plant and customer base? If they have FTTN and the node is divided so each coax segment only serves 25 homes and of those homes, only 15 subscribe to their product and of those 15, only 5 subscribe to 1Gbps service...

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

Hah! FTTPR

Its probably D3.1 to the NewWave higher-ups houses.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

NewWave actually competes with gigabit in one of the areas they don't mentio

La Grange, TX is a NewWave market, where Verizon is the telephone company. But of course FiOS isn't there.

What is there is LiveAir FTTH. 50M for $35, 100M for $55, gigabit for $75. So I'm surprised that it wasn't on the list for gigabit upgrades to make even a semblance of competition. Or maybe NewWave has more or less written off that market since it's hard to compete against FTTH from a more local provider with better pricing.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

waking up

there are consumers who are actually waking up the fact that a decade has gone by and they've been left behind since the first of its kind major deployment of broadband plant.. (Verizon fttp and docsis evolution, respectively) Most of that happened over the last decade (2004 - 2014). Meanwhile, plenty of these people had little to no choices available.

it's been recently recognized (national association of realtors) that availability of cheap broadband is becoming a selling point for real-estate whether it be ownership or rental property. consumers seem willing to move to get it.. and more willing to move AWAY from places where they can't get it..

fg8578

Salem, OR
reply to Karl Bode

Yes, I recall seeing that. I withdraw my objection!

celtictoad13

join:2009-02-25
Carlinville, IL

New wave customer Speaks

I have been a New Wave customer for several years. And it will take them a long time to roll out anything. Took them almost 2 years just to deploy DOCSIS 3.0. Their acquisitions as of late is a promising sign. But fear the getting too big syndrome will hinder them. And hurt their customer service.

I am on a 30/3 Internet package and its costing me ~$65 a month. So when they say it will cost less then $100 a month, thats a $100 a month price for an introductory price (12 month contract) and you must subscribe to their TV and Phone as well. I could see them charging upwards of ~$150 for standalone price. But take the fact that in my area you have DSL (Frontier) or a local WISP outfit named Royell Communications. Your options for choice get limited by certain technologys.

I am happy they are at the very least trying to do something rather than nothing. But still sad that it might be upwards of 2 years before I see anything of the 1 Gbps service.

v6movement

@206.51.28.x
reply to duffman45200

said by duffman45200:

Ya, they will rely on a tech that has no equipment available and will not be for some time. Good luck even sourcing modems in 2015 since NO chipsets have even been announced never mind the lead time to produce them and then getting them to modem vendors and the lead time to produce the modems. This PR is a whole lot of hot air.

v6movement

@206.51.28.x

1 recommendation

reply to 98778011

said by 98778011:

Any company could have done this and it was done before Google. Don't give Google any credit for something they never started. It's just that Karl is the only one who runs everything about Google.

Whether Google started it or not is irrelevant. They're just pushing it further than anyone else has in North America and pushing it on a wide scale. They're also pushing for reasonable pricing too unlike all the other carriers / MSOs.

v6movement

@206.51.28.x
reply to 98778011

said by 98778011:

The only one that's never joked nor criticized for their FTTR is Google. I wonder why NewWave is different as well?

Common sense.... they are actually doing what they said they will be doing.

Regarding NewWave...

said by Karl Bode:

Someone bitched about it last week saying I'd worn out the joke, so amusingly I left it out this go round only to be bitched at for leaving it out.

damned if ya do, damned if ya don't...