dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-08-28 09:06:35: Back in June T-Mobile announced the company would be exempting music services from the company's bandwidth caps, though users would need to vote on their favorite music service to get it added to T-Mobile's white list. ..

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

3 recommendations

Mike

Mod

how about

everything is exempt or give everyone 50gb
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Re: how about

This seems such a brazen violation of net neutrality. Announcing it as a positive seems unreal to me. What is next, pay extra to access google or amazon?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

I don't see how it is a violation of net neutrality. So say the user has 5GB of data yesterday and was using that 5GB for say Pandora. Now tomorrow TMO says you still have 5GB, but now Pandora doesn't count against that 5GB. They are actually giving you MORE not less IF you use Pandora. You still have your 1200 minutes, but a call to Pandora is now an 800 number.

However I see the position that maybe before I would not use Pandora, but now that I see it doesn't cost me anything, now I start using it. So this is an 800 service now. The small guy lives under the 5GB, so is he at a disadvantage--yes. Does it make it harder for him to break the economic moat--yes. Is there a chance for abuse by TMO--yes. TMO could also simply say you get 5GB again and all that value is gone. Not sure that is good either.

I see the slippery slope, but I also see the value TMO is bringing to their customers.

What would be a value crush would be you now have 4GB and get xyz free music, but that didn't happen.

Do I think TMO doesn't employ actuaries to figure this out and intend to charge or monetize for 800 access? I would be a fool to think that is not their ultimate goal. Maybe they inject ads in the stream and you get it for free. Now that is the operator DEFINITELY violating neutrality by modifying the stream, and the user will be forced to make a choice... That gets worse or course, but you have to imagine that the ad industry is reeling and they are dying to find new ways to separate you from your money...

This is how the phone industry evolved and it went through a period where long distance was expensive but as capacity and competition opened up phone calls anywhere in the US and now some even internationally are just "included" and the cost is more affordable then ever before.

Every year (except for say cable monopoly operators) cost is going down because of technological advances and competition and will continue to do so.

Anywhere monopolies are granted by the government to exist cost will go up and service down. Plain and simple.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

It is preferring one type of traffic over another. If a type of traffic from a provider can be preferred, traffic from another provider can be prevented or charged extra for accessing.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

I don't see how it is a violation of net neutrality.

because if I prefer Google Music over Pandora it counts against my cap because I didn't choose the music streaming service T-Mobile wanted me to choose. at&t suggest doing something like this and everyone goes ape shit. t-mobile does it and it's ok.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Google music is being added... Jeez.

Actually, AT&T's sponsored data was quite different from T-Mobile's implementation, mainly because AT&T was being compensated for the data cost by the content provider. T-Mobile is receiving no such compensation and is adding new services at a sustainable rate.

NYDude25
join:2007-08-23
Massapequa, NY

NYDude25

They must be receiving something...If Pandora and the others aren't paying TMO, what is in it for them? Why promote Pandora and the others if they aren't paying for it?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

From »money.cnn.com/2014/06/18 ··· c-phone/

"Legere dismissed concerns about Music Freedom's net neutrality implications, saying new services could be quickly included in the program.
T-Mobile chief marketing officer Michael Sievert said the company isn't getting paid by the services participating in Music Freedom.""

They want to keep poaching customers from AT&T/Verizon/Sprint...

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto to NYDude25

to NYDude25
said by NYDude25:

They must be receiving something...If Pandora and the others aren't paying TMO, what is in it for them? Why promote Pandora and the others if they aren't paying for it?

I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic. Because the answer is very obvious.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

Google music is being added... Jeez

IS as in NOT YET. Until such time still counts against my cap.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Would you'd like them to launch it before it's fully configured and vetted so you can be charged for the data when you shouldn't be?

It's coming in the next couple of months. Only so much of the year left.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to Mike

Anon

to Mike
Unlimited EDGE speeds after a few high-speed GBs seems pretty OK to me -- especially when unlimited 4G is only about 10 bucks more.

Meanwhile Sprint merrily charges a laughable $10 just to get access to their cobbled together mess of a 4G network.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

What?

Dang! Sounds like I'll have to continue to use the local buffer on Google Play Music for a while yet...
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

My guess...

Odds are T-Mo can't whitelist Google Play Music without whitelisting a whole mess of other Google services due to the URL scheme... namely things like Google Play Video.

We can't be giving all of Google's services a free ride now, can we?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: My guess...

said by SunnyD:

Odds are T-Mo can't whitelist Google Play Music without whitelisting a whole mess of other Google services due to the URL scheme... namely things like Google Play Video.

Google also SSL's their traffic (including music) so they can't do DPI either.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

Re: My guess...

Exactly. Takes time to figure this out. I'd rather it take them a bit longer to launch than have billing screwups.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

T-Mobile

Grooveshark? Well the music industry won't like that. So much for "lawful and licensed."
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Dangerous Road

This sounds like a good thing but it's such a dangerous precedent -- and this from the uncarrier!

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Bring on Google Play already!

I have my entire 200GB music collection stored on Google Play, so of course I'd love to stream it without caps. The #1 request, but an overwhelming margin, was for Google Play. But no, we get stuff I've never heard of.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: Bring on Google Play already!

The company's have to be willing to cooperate with T-Mobile. I am sure these services were more than willing.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Netflix

Hopefully, they will add Netflix in the future
SunnyD
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Re: Netflix

Typical Netflix streaming on a phone is roughly 820Kb/sec.
Typical audio "streaming" from one of the services on par about 64Kb/sec.

Which do you think T-Mo wants on their towers 24x7 per user?
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: Netflix

A lot of them actually use as little as 32-48kbps.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

Pandora? D:

what, pandora isn't on the list?
SunnyD
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Re: Pandora? D:

Pandora was one of the first exempted services when this offering was rolled out a few months back.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to Demonfang

to Demonfang
See »www.t-mobile.com/offer/f ··· ing.html

Included services:
Pandora
iHeartRadio
iTunes Radio
Rhapsody
Spotify
Slacker
Milk Music
Black Planet
GrooveShark
Songza
Rdio
Radio Paradise
AccuRadio

-------
With Google music coming soon...
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

while they're at it..

they might as well except voip calling as well.. audio, is audio...

that would leave software apps, web browsing and video to be under the limits

the more they tweak this in favor of the consumer.. the more dirt they kick up at Sprint who is finally trying to get traction.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

Re: while they're at it..

They do that -- it's unlimited voice calling with your regular number via GSM, UMTS, and now VoLTE.

Hear Magenta even throws something like x2 more voice/audio bandwidth per call versus Blue, Red, and (probably) Yellow, too. Hells Bells still use half-rate gimped codecs even in un-congested locations, don't they?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Basically, I meant internet voip which has among other features-- push to talk and video chat...

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

Yeah... but remember back when FaceTime video rolled out, AT&T instantly threw up a roadblock and announced funny technical reasons why it was absolutely necessary for network management. Sure, some of that was valid, but it was mostly unapologetic laziness from a Tier 1 wireless carrier simply refusing to increase capacity when/where needed.

Meanwhile in Magentaland, similar shenanigans were never attempted.

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

Prepaid

Does anyone know if this also counts for T-Mo prepaid? I've not been able to find out one way or another.

(Edit) Apparently it does! »twitter.com/KingFrostFiv ··· 70291456

TmobileRocks
@98.250.128.x

TmobileRocks

Anon

Now just finish those upgrades...

So i can actually enjoy 4G in my hometown instead of EDGE/GPRS. Once that's done start expanding your coverage area. Then you'll start making big red and big blue sweat.

(Sorry big yellow...you already suck)

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Yourmuze.fm

Add those if you are going to do this T-Mobile! They work great in EDGE country due to their AAC+ compression and selectable bitrate. Their IP range and streaming URLs are pretty static too. They would be very easy to add. I could conceivably allow them on my home network and deny all others via a couple router rules, seriously. Not that I would, just saying how easy it would be to single out their traffic.