dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-09-02 08:33:01: Verizon's ActionTec routers have never been what you'd call cutting edge, the company taking an extraordinarily long time to even offer 802.11N Wi-Fi functionality (and when they finally did, only offering 2.4Ghz). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

3 recommendations

serge87

Great news

Maybe this will be the ticket to help me overlook my ever-increasing bill, terrible internet routing and soon-to-be internet cap. Then again, I ditched the Actiontec for something with better wireless(and wired) performance a long time ago.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

good.

Its about time. The questions now gonna be, who's gonna get it, how, and how much.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

1 recommendation

HenryFarpolo to serge87

Premium Member

to serge87

Re: Great news

This was announced in March. Maybe it is finally starting.

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 14-03-19

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

3 recommendations

tito79 to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159

Re: good.

ipv6 anyone?
serge87
New York

serge87

said by tito79:

ipv6 anyone?

MAC address looked like it.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

Napsterbater

MVM

said by serge87:

said by tito79:

ipv6 anyone?

What does a MAC addres have to do with IPv6... Nothing BTW...

That is just a different way of printing the MAC address, has nothing to do with IPv6.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72 to tito79

to tito79
Verizon is not in a rush because they own class A network along with the other legacy bells meaning they aren't going to run out of IP anytime soon. To a home user (still using NAT) this is not important.

Sure there may be ancillary security benefits but nothing that will really make a difference to a home user today. The whole packet inspection thing is NOT an issue at the edge and silicon pretty much takes care of that.

I can't count on one hand the number of enterprise customers that I service using IPv6 in the data center. Maybe at the edge/border a few.

Also all the devices need to support IPv6 and it won't be for a decade or more before IPv4 in the home is even thought of going away.

You should be more concerned with how often Verizon updates the drop on the router so hacker XYZ can't get into your network.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

2 recommendations

Napsterbater

MVM

IPv6 is useful even before we run out of IPv4 address.

For example game consoles, the Xbox One uses IPv6 for multiplayer and even uses IPv6 over tunnels on IPv4 only networks, with IPv6 no need for port forwarding or UPNP. simply connect the console and play with no strict or moderate NAT.

ofacesig
join:2007-01-23
Coppell, TX

2 recommendations

ofacesig

"almost" too little too late

I'm already running an Pfsense box behind and REV C 424 in bridge mode. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have an Ethernet drop from my ONT to my pfsense box. I have my Tivo Premiere acting as my MOCA bridge feeding all the ECB2200s all over my house.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Verizon is not in a rush because they own class A network along with the other legacy bells meaning they aren't going to run out of IP anytime soon. To a home user (still using NAT) this is not important.

Except you will need IPv6 to reach others on the Internet (including end-users) that don't have the same IPv4 resources.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

said by whfsdude:

Except you will need IPv6 to reach others on the Internet (including end-users) that don't have the same IPv4 resources.

That's a long way off from happening.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

2 recommendations

Napsterbater

MVM

said by josephf:

said by whfsdude:

Not exactly, small ISP's are now having to CGNAT customers, the only way to connect to that customer would be via IPv6 if deployed on that ISP.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

uhh you are very wrong.

1) T-Mobile is now IPv6 only.
2) Unity-Media (and a couple of other cable co's) in Germany are now IPv6 only via DS-Lite.

That's two large ISPs. However, that is going to significantly grow in 2015.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

moca 2.0?

There are maybe a few reasons to upgrade the router.. but will they have moca 2.0?
That's the only reason I'd probably care about.. and it would be a win for Verizon not having to re-wire customers for Ethernet along the way-- they could ramp up symmetrical at around (but not quite) 1 gigabit.

802.11ac isn't exactly ready for prime time still today. You'd be lucky to get tablets and laptops with built in extreme "N" multi-antenna, let alone "AC" wifi capability.

BTW, how many users are ipv6 address only these days?

perhaps Verizon is chomping at the bit to replace those old insecure wep routers which have easily penetrable keys... or weak wps key structure.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

2 recommendations

Dream Killer to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater

It's not that simple, while IPv6 gets rids of headaches from NAT, incoming traffic will still need to be allowed at the firewall level. Home/SoHo routers do this in one step via " port forwarding page" but it really configures both the NAT rule and the Firewall rule from one input. In the end, people will still need to learn how to log into a router and configure rules for incoming traffic.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

1 recommendation

Napsterbater

MVM

said by Dream Killer:

It's not that simple, while IPv6 gets rids of headaches from NAT, incoming traffic will still need to be allowed at the firewall level. Home/SoHo routers do this in one step via " port forwarding page" but it really configures both the NAT rule and the Firewall rule from one input. In the end, people will still need to learn how to log into a router and configure rules for incoming traffic.

Depends, the router does not have to and may not to perform any firewalling duties, its an option/extra.

Router != Firewall.

If a stateful firewall is enabled then yes.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

elefante72 to whfsdude

to whfsdude
My point I was driving.

Verizon isn't under IPv4 exhaustion so they don't have to deploy a solution like DS-lite, and for TMO is makes sense to deploy their LTE on ipv6 (btw verizon did not) and use transition mechanisms but they probably didn't have to. DS-lite is still an encapsulation mechanism. It not like your TMO phone can't get to an IPv4 address....Sure it'll talk to IPv6 google servers...

Verizon has the luxury to afford to take it's time, and they will--lowering their deployment costs.

I was trying to emphasize that router OS is the #1 issue facing the home user BY FAR, not IPv6 (well that and general usability). It's a checkbox, an unpatched security exploit in your router XYZ is a much bigger problem.
elefante72

2 recommendations

elefante72 to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
XBO uses Teredo which sort of defeats the security argument for going to IPV6 Go check and google, and see how trouble free it is.

From wiki:

Teredo is designed as a last resort transition technology and is intended to be a temporary measure: in the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. Teredo should therefore be disabled when native IPv6 connectivity becomes available.

That should be a piece of cake. I disable it when I deploy a PC/VM. So many issues w/ DHCP and the security--that is another story.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense

1 recommendation

Napsterbater

MVM

said by elefante72:

XBO uses Teredo which sort of defeats the security argument for going to IPV6

What security argument? IPv6 is inherently no more or less secure then IPv4.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

elefante72

Why I said argument, but I was referring to Teredo in particular.

I think you must know that a common feature to sell IPv6 to the masses is that is more secure than IPv4, but I agree it introduces new complexity.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

2 recommendations

firedrakes to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: moca 2.0?

action tec router such. own 3 different ones and all fail and never work correctly
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

1 recommendation

decifal7

till

Until they start charging reasonable prices for usage caps, i'm growing more and more disinterested in new technologies... I could careless about speed once it hits 6 megs. I would like to be able to freaking use it without going into debt.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

2 recommendations

Dream Killer to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater

My point is IPv6 won't simplify setting up a host in accepting incoming connections. It will still rely on how easy it is to use the router's UI and if it's using IPV4 or IPv6. There will still be some configuring that's required.

And IMO, a router/switch/access point device isn't worth getting without a stateful firewall - especially since IPv6 gets rid of NATing and its side effect of hiding hosts behind it.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to elefante72

MVM

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

My point I was driving.

Verizon isn't under IPv4 exhaustion so they don't have to deploy a solution like DS-lite, and for TMO is makes sense to deploy their LTE on ipv6 (btw verizon did not) and use transition mechanisms but they probably didn't have to. DS-lite is still an encapsulation mechanism. It not like your TMO phone can't get to an IPv4 address....Sure it'll talk to IPv6 google servers...

Verizon has the luxury to afford to take it's time, and they will--lowering their deployment costs.

I was trying to emphasize that router OS is the #1 issue facing the home user BY FAR, not IPv6 (well that and general usability). It's a checkbox, an unpatched security exploit in your router XYZ is a much bigger problem.

Verizon's LTE and 3G networks already do IPv6? LTE was launched with IPv6 IIRC.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Exactly. This is a huge move. They could probably go to 500/500 with an ONT swap out, and no Ethernet. MoCA was a brilliant way to plug and play with cable wiring, but it also limited them to 75mbps symmetrical when cable is already at 150-300mbps, depending on provider...
serge87
New York

1 recommendation

serge87 to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater

said by Napsterbater:

said by serge87:

said by tito79:

ipv6 anyone?

What does a MAC addres have to do with IPv6... Nothing BTW...

That is just a different way of printing the MAC address, has nothing to do with IPv6.

Yeah you're right. I'd be an idiot to believe Verizon would begin implementing IPv6 without being dragged kicking and screaming!

v6movement
@206.51.28.x

v6movement to tmc8080

Anon

to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

802.11ac isn't exactly ready for prime time still today. You'd be lucky to get tablets and laptops with built in extreme "N" multi-antenna, let alone "AC" wifi capability.

Odd, more or less everything new I have looked at whether it be desktop / laptop / tablet / smartphone has AC.

neill6705
join:2014-08-09

neill6705

Seems better than most CPE...

Is CPE ever cutting edge? I have Centurylink and I don't think they offer any device with faster wireless than N300. A business I support just got a modem from Charter that also appears to be N150 or N300. Offering an AC device should put Verizon ahead of the pack I would think. Hopefully it's not a buggy POS.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Guest access?

Anyone knows if the new routers allow "guest" (wan access only) wifi?

Would love to move in that direction eventually... (All my wifi stuff is for internet access, not local lan access)

Pstreicher1
@192.76.82.x

Pstreicher1

Anon

Was Prompted to Configure Router for WPA by Verizon

Here is one for you. A few days ago I went to use one of my devices at home on the wi-fi and found it would not connect. Over and over I tired. I then tried another device, same thing. it then occurred to me to check the router. I found that the ActionTec router had the name changed within it. The SSID was no longer what it was before but something different. I had gotten an email the day before from a supposed Verizon address notifying me that they had noticed that I was still using WEP security and that I should consider changing to the newer WPA type. So, I was prompted into changing but was it Verizon or a hack? I'm assuming Verizon but is this a crazy way to do this to someone? Wouldn't it have been better to had a live human call you and explain things first? I'm not upset over the whole matter though as now I have upgraded to WPA and I feel safer now knowing it would be harder for a hacker to enter my home network via the net. I should have configured for WPA from the start. Food for thought.
page: 1 · 2 · next