dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-09-02 10:39:42: Retrans season is apparently heating up, and with it the now-all-too-familiar channel outages that plague consumers when broadcasters and cable operators can't agree on price. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

This is just stupid and i hate direct tv

First let me say i hate direct tv with a passion nothing about them that i do like how ever....

To me this is no different than the credit card companies who charge us a interest rate and also charge retail stores a fee for each transaction. They are making money off of every one. In the case of commercial television aka network tv they get paid by their advertisers and then they charge direct tv twc cox comcast etc another fee to retransmit their broadcast. This is total and complete bs. If they are going to charge direct tv and other carriers then they should not have commercials broadcast on re-broadcasters such as all the major carriers. Let them insert their own advertisements charge them for that. If they insist on having their advertisers on the rebroadcast then they should not be allowed to charge any carrier a fee to do so. After all it is to their benefit. As now they are getting more people watching their station.

For example i can not get fox ota whee i live. It is plenty close but to much in the way. So fox commercials never get seen by me. With cable or sat tv i would get it and would see the commercials.

To me it i feel that this sort of thing should not even be legal. same for credit car transaction. I have my self been in retail sales. I have my self had to pay that fee. Why the heck should i pay some credit card company for doing them the favor of accepting their cc? With tv it is this why should direct tv ,cox ,comcast ,twc etc pay the networks to do them the favor of helping their ratings and helping them make money?

Honestly if i was a major company like twc cox eetc i would install a high gain antenna for ota channels as part of the cable tv etc package charge the customer a few bucks per month for a high gain antenna and laugh at the networks. Honestly i seriously doubt that the networks could do a damn thing about such a thing. After all the carrier is not doing any thing but renting a high end antenna to its customers.

Stick antenna on roof and say stick it abc cbs nbc fox etc all. 10 to 1 it would not be long before the networks would be begging for the carriers to rebroadcast their stations for free.

People talk about how greedy the tv provider is but honestly who is more greedy them or the networks?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to smcallah

Premium Member

to smcallah

Re: Who cares?

No. This dude is annoying as hell. They did not used to do it and then I guess one day he saw someone else do it on another station and KPLC "Hot Button" was born. Why wasn't he talking about our local federal judge with blonde, and red, and orange hair (yes, her hair is all weird and stuff) getting pulled over for driving drunk and then the police department booking her under a different name and covering it up.

It's almost as annoying as the amount of content you get vs the commercials you get. I hope DirecTV doesn't settle and Raycom stays dark. They produce shitty programming anyway. America Now and Right this Minute.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc

Re: ...

Actually it is. You are just deluded.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: "We will always work to protect our customers"

As a sports fan I'd rather have ESPN and Fox Sports then those garbage OTA networks. OTA TV needs to be destroyed and have the spectrum re-purposed for something useful. Aside from sports there's is next to zero compelling content on over the air TV. Ohhhh another NCIS spinoff and other CSI spinoff will premier this Fall TV season. At least CBS has the NFL, otherwise that network would be beyond utterly useless.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc

Re: Government Interference Created This Mess

said by RadioDoc:

That was the status quo earlier. See CBS and Viacom. Those rules were deemed outdated and reversed. Now you want to go back?

Those rules were reversed because the national networks were screaming that they'd go out of business if they didn't own their own content. That clearly has been proven not to be the case - networks are clearly very efficient audience aggregators and they are now getting paid billions of dollars for those audiences. They also own a lot more distribution channels than they used to (see NBC Comcast). They are in no danger of going out of business.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

Re: "We will always work to protect our customers"

said by dvd536:

or put them in their own tier

Put all of the Disney channels in their own tier, and Viacom and all the others content providers in their own tier. Lets see how the negotiations go when the customer can decide what channels they are willing to pay for, instead of having it all done behind closed doors, with little input from the actual paying customers.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3 to RadioDoc

Premium Member

to RadioDoc

Re: I tire of this ...

said by RadioDoc:

How much does DirecTV make off each of them? If DirecTV didn't profit from carrying them they wouldn't be squealing so loud...they would just say "buh bye" and be done with it.

I can only speak to my local market. The answer is $10/month since they started carrying locals. I needed receiver and dish upgrades for HD service to get them. Linked at the hip since birth. IMO, any further breakdown of that $10 is just accounting noise.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

and queue the piracy

When time warner had its returns dispute with CBS and its owned stations, piracy spiked. The upside for network shows is at least dtv users can steam them if they have good internet. The content owner scum in the tw dispute blocked tw IP blocks.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to RadioDoc

Premium Member

to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

The FCC does not "oversee produced content".

That is absolutely not true. Nipples allowed on broadcast television? not even. Curse words? no ... »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se ··· ty_words

The list goes on and on.

As far as Raycom goes (whoever the hell they actually are), I can confidently guess their viewers are a great minority of directv subscribers. But knowing who charges who is impossible because these deals on public airwave viewing are done with NDAs so the public won't know what monies are changing hands.

So, what percentage of advertising revenue does directv get from raycom for broadcasting 10-15 minutes worth of commercials on each hour sometimes with their own transmitting and receiving infrastructure that reaches millions of homes?

And your assertions are just one sided to make it seem legitimate for media companies to hold distribution companies customers hostage.

And I'll bet the DBS fees being increased to match the gross of viewers is fully supported by non-satellite companies since it makes no sense whatsoever from a technical licensing point of view. It's just more of that bureaucracy that people love to whine about in public and smoke cigars and guffaw in private because they best way to hurt the competition is not to compete but to have extra burden put upon them.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Raycom

In the Charlotte market and as it turns out the Columbia, SC market put up a propaganda speech by the station managers on Facebook.

The one for WBTV got removed because they got utterly hammered by people.

Awesome. People are wising up a little bit.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Cut the cord, Ditch the Dish.. Whatever you gotta do.

When all but one local station is 100+ miles away no OTA. The OTA stations are showing so many repeats cable may get snipped.
percosan
join:2002-03-13
San Francisco, CA

percosan to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc

Ok. I will try again.

First, I do not understand why you put public spectrum in quotes. This is a national resource and managed by the federal government.

The fees you identify are *not* license fees. They are regulatory fees which is why the number is so so low. Compare this to the *license* fees that are paid by mobile operators.

-s
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to turnerbrewer

to turnerbrewer

I can't wait for the day that all companies put $50 fee add on to all customers that don't have pay TV. If the continued decline happens things like Netflix and Hulu will significantly rise as television and movie studios will need to get the revenue one way or another. This may be several years off but cord cuts will pay one way or another. Also one day OTA will not be free as they pressure Rebroadcast companies for more money just like Raycom is doing.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

1 recommendation

devolved to turnerbrewer

to turnerbrewer
Since a majority of satellite dish customers live in rural areas, OTA reception is next to impossible.
wahoospa
join:2006-03-23
Charleston, SC

wahoospa

Raycom Channels Go Dark for DirecTV Users

I remember when satellite TV did not have locals. Now I don't have satellite TV or cable TV, just the internet and over-the-air-antenna. There is more than enough TV on the internet of what you want and I don't mean foreign, religious, and shopping channels, just look for it, it's there!
devolved
Rapid City, SD

devolved to ExSatUser

to ExSatUser

Re: Switching providers is not the answer

Same here. I only watch network TV during major sporting events. Network TV is a endless tide of reality TV crap.
devolved

devolved to smcallah

to smcallah

Disney is more of a media company. They don't broadcast squat, they own a lot.
devolved

devolved to travelguy

to travelguy
The whole argument will fall on deaf ears in Washington, as the broadcast lobby is the largest lobby in town.
devolved

devolved to Pittpharm

to Pittpharm

Re: Majority Siding with DTV

I always find it interesting when you have both sides getting in to a whining match. DirecTV screams "it's unfair!" and the local station screams "it's unfair!". They put up web pages and web sites demonizing the other side. In the end, it's the consumer left holding the bag.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to devolved

to devolved

said by devolved:

Disney is more of a media company. They don't broadcast squat, they own a lot.

That's going to be a big surprise to the Disney stockholders. Suggest you look up who owns ABC.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to JimThePCGuy

Premium Member

to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

Because AMC, Smithsonian, History aren't available over the air?
At my juncture in life it would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face.
I don't like it but there just isn't enough content OTA for me.

Problem with all of the channels you have mentioned is that they offer 2 or 3 "prime" shows, that get a 20-odd episode season, and the rest of it is all repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats.....

History Channel does not show shows online without having to enter a cable provider password, but the earlier seasons of series like Pawn Stars are on Amazon Prime. But MANY cable networks, including AMC, Discovery, etc offer their shows on Netflix. You will be behind a season or two, but if you aren't too hung up in having to watch the LATEST show NOW, then you should be OK. (And quite frankly, the days when you showed up to work the next day to talk about who it could have been that shot JR, are long gone. People watch stuff on their DVR a week later, and by then its irrelevant.)

For instance, I have never watch Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Lost, three TV shows which come highly rated by the public. I still INTEND to watch them when I have the time, and when I do I probably watch 3, 4 episodes at once on a Sunday morning or something like that.

I have an Amazon Prime account, a Netflix account, and I used to have Hulu but cancelled it due to the commercials. I basically spend about $25 a month on content (I also have a SmartDNS so I can use e.g. BBC iPlayer), and my DirecTV bill was $112 when I cut the cord (and it was going up to $117 at that point). In a nutshell, I am pocketing a THOUSAND dollars a year.

The quality of the shows being put on air these days that I can't get via a streaming device is.... (and that is an opinion, to each his own but I don't need to see duck hunters and swamp men and booboo honey crap)... downright appalling, and I refuse to pay for all that.

On top of that, I am not a huge sports fan and if you live in a big market like I do (Los Angeles area) you pay for the broadcast rights of 2 MLB teams, 2 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams, and 2 MLS teams, and some of those teams (such as Dodgers and Lakers) charge $4 per viewer per channel/team because they all make their own channels now. I calculated $35 or more of my bill goes directly to sports I don't want to watch. Explain to me HOW it makes sense to want to pay for stuff I don't want to watch?

So we decided that we cut some programs that we could live without, watch the rest on Netflix, Amazon, and BBC iPlayer, and pocket the THOUSAND dollars.

As others have said, best decision I have ever made! We don't have to be entertained by an electronic box every night. And instead of wanting a-la-carte on channels, I took it a step further and went a-la-carte on individual programs. So what that I am 2 seasons behind on shows I like to watch. I really don't care, and I get to watch em when I want to watch them, not when the DVR threatens to be out of space.
devolved
Rapid City, SD

devolved to travelguy

to travelguy

You look them up. Disney is a media company. And yes, they own ABC.
devolved

devolved to wahoospa

to wahoospa

Re: Raycom Channels Go Dark for DirecTV Users

I remember being able to watch the same network direct feeds TV stations get, where networks sent their network promos and news feeds during their off hours. Back when everything was "in the clear" and not scrambled or ciphered.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to RadioDoc

MVM

to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

Wrong again. The FCC is about to raise the DBS fees to what broadcast pays. Read the docket. Wait until they have to cough up an extra $21 million every year and you'll hear them screaming bloody murder.

I guess you're talking about this:

FCC stops charging fees to tiny cable operators, proposes that Dish and DirecTV start paying up
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - September 3, 2014
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 14-09-03
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to devolved

Premium Member

to devolved

said by devolved:

Same here. I only watch network TV during major sporting events. Network TV is a endless tide of reality TV crap.

That is simply NOT true. There are EXCELLENT OUTSTANDING dramas on network TV. What IS true is all that sports drivel....I resent having to pay for all that utter crap.

Robert Bohan
@72.131.71.x

Robert Bohan to WhatNow

Anon

to WhatNow

If you live far enough from a major city that you can't get OTA, you have bigger problems.

RobertB
@72.131.71.x

RobertB to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20

Please name one.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Robert Bohan

Premium Member

to Robert Bohan

said by Robert Bohan :

If you live far enough from a major city that you can't get OTA, you have bigger problems.

A matter of opinion I suppose, cities aren't that thrilling to many of us.... but in my case I live 18 miles as the crow flies from the broadcast antenna's and still get zip due to a large hill.
Now there isn't a lot I want to see on TV> local news, today's seahawks game, maybe some of the PBS stuff. so that's what LIMITED BASIC provides at $15.xx per month (really about $3 after the multi product discount.)

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to RobertB

MVM

to RobertB

said by Mele20:

said by devolved:

That is simply NOT true. There are EXCELLENT OUTSTANDING dramas on network TV.

said by RobertB :

Please name one.

If you count Public TV networks, then PBS's "Downton Abbey." It's a consistent Emmy nominee.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

No local NFL Sunday Ticket games for DirecTV subscribers in Raycom markets

DIRECTV: No Local NFL Games For Raycom Viewers
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - September 3, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv ··· 0314.htm
quote:
If their market has a Fox or CBS affiliate, which air NFL games, they won't be able to watch their local team (or any team) unless DIRECTV and Raycom reach a new agreement by Sunday. ...

The prospect of going without the NFL has many DIRECTV subscribers in Raycom markets asking if the satcaster will waive their in-market blackout on its NFL Sunday Ticket package.
:
In response to one subscriber's question, @DIRECTVService tweeted yesterday: "You will not be able to get your local team on NFL ST since that package is set up for you to receive out of market teams."

Before you blame DIRECTV, the satcaster really doesn't have a choice. The NFL Ticket package requires the satcaster to black out games provided by your local channel, even if DIRECTV itself won't offer that local channel.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next