dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-09-02 10:39:42: Retrans season is apparently heating up, and with it the now-all-too-familiar channel outages that plague consumers when broadcasters and cable operators can't agree on price. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: Switching providers is not the answer

said by telcodad:

I hope DirecTV and their subscribers can stick this out and not buckle into Raycom Media's rate hike demands, like they did with The Weather Channel earlier this year.

Not me I already had a transition to TWC before all this nonsense started. Build a WMC PC and am now saving ~$70 a month vs DTV.
Mystic95Z

Mystic95Z to ke4pym

to ke4pym

Re: Raycom

said by ke4pym:

In the Charlotte market and as it turns out the Columbia, SC market put up a propaganda speech by the station managers on Facebook.

The one for WBTV got removed because they got utterly hammered by people.

Awesome. People are wising up a little bit.

Yeah, it was funny, our local wave3.com had they BS article up and got hammered in the comments, now no comments are allowed on it lol.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to jseymour

to jseymour

Re: Government Interference Created This Mess

The whole LiL crap needs to just die and go away.. take the NAB and the extortionist members and their dinosaur tech with them!

I have DBS, Dish specifically and I don't live in any rural area, contrary to one post, I have crapble and fiber (Fios) available for video, and choice NOT to purchase said services. I only use data from both..

Dish has been reduced from the AEP I had, since, well I got them... along with the "national" network channels they provided.. I played all the games to keep them for a long time as I couldn't and still don't care where it comes|came (when I got the E/W nationals they were from Podunk nowheres, and that was fine with me.. the same shows were still on!) from so long as SUN AT 2100 I got the Good Wife (there is one excellent show for our other poster, so I named one! )

I've reduced AEP, as the movie channels were an endless barrage of repeated movies I could pull off the shelf or NAS at my lesiure and choosing... The few series that some like HBO had.. that I would watch they cancelled or ended... recently I've dropped the LiL crap too..

Why??? OTA? NOPE! I ditched all live tv for 90% of my viewing it no longer comes in live.. I just suck in the shows and watch on my schedule and when I want.. Thus I get no cliff hanger 2 parter's, hate that! HATE IT! I can binge on an entire series like Happy Valley, oh and there it is too! I get MY SHOWS from WHERE EVER WHEN I WANT... Like Edeavour, and Happy Valley, and Broadchurch... MONTHS BEFORE they will ever air in the US on BBCA or at all... Additionally I don't get any of those annoying ADS ! ! GONE!

OTA and the delivery of OTA via DBS aka LiL is just a waste of transponder space, and a waste of huge resources to cow tail to the NABfia with the spot beam crap... so to the other poster you need to add in the cost of those spot beam sats to the fees for DBS too! A LOT of $$$ was wasted for that crap.

In 2014 ABC, CBS, Fox, CW should just have a channel a la HBO or TNT etc.... Just drop the PITA affiliates... pay the fees to shut them up, and MOVE ON IN LIFE! Let the affiliates survive or die on their own with My, ME, or what ever...

But but but ... what about

sports - couldn't care less! And YOU CAN PAY FOR IT! And they can easily contract with each DBS carrier to offer that.. since 99.99999% of them and more are available... Just authorize the receivers to get the game that ABC etc.. says would have been played in that area.. simple.

News... don't care, in the least.. unless its TECH NEWS... and even then I severely limit the field... 99.999999999999999999999999999% of what gets reported as "news" is not news and/or has NO DIRECT CORRELATION TO MY LIFE, so pefttt! Just like newspapers... useless!

Weather ... WINDOW! Go outside! Wx station, NWR, EMWIN, NOAAPORT, plenty of sources for this! You don't need some bimbo or some dolt flayling around on the screen.

OTA, and LiL are dinosaurs that just need to die.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: No local NFL Sunday Ticket games for DirecTV subscribers in Raycom markets

DIRECTV Calls On Raycom Media and Dispatch Video To Free NFL and College Football Fans To See Their Games
DirecTV Press Release, Business Wire - September 4, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· all-Fans
quote:
DIRECTV today called upon local broadcaster Raycom Media to allow DIRECTV customers to see opening weekend NFL action ... as well as upcoming NCAA football games this Saturday.

“To have any local broadcaster like Raycom deliberately deny these fans the freedom to watch the home teams they’ve helped to preserve is simply atrocious.”
:
“People in great NFL cities like Cleveland and New Orleans avidly support their local teams in many ways, including with public monies to keep these teams within their home communities,” says Dan York, chief content officer for DIRECTV. “To have any local broadcaster like Raycom deliberately deny these fans the freedom to watch the home teams they’ve helped to preserve is simply atrocious.”

He added, “We ask nothing more than for Raycom to set aside their egregious pricing demands for access to 'free' over-the-air TV signals for a few hours, abide by their license to serve the public interest and allow their own viewers to enjoy their NFL and NCAA football games.”
:
No matter what Raycom decides, DIRECTV will offer all customers a free preview of NFL SUNDAY TICKET to help welcome the new season, enabling each fan to see as many as nine additional out-of-market games this weekend they wouldn’t get without an annual subscription, as well as THE RED ZONE, the new DIRECTV FANTASY ZONE, Game Mix, and Shortcuts, which offers full games in 30 minutes.

DIRECTV hopes Raycom will do the right thing and put fans first and not use their own content as a means to extort even more out of the wallets of families in the communities they claim to serve.

walli1
@72.148.20.x

walli1

Anon

raycomwarwithdirectv

Hang in there directv. I don't care if I ever watch fox locally. I tried and tried to get cable where I live and was repeatedly told no. Directv is the best as far as I am concerned.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to WhatNow

Premium Member

to WhatNow

Re: Cut the cord, Ditch the Dish.. Whatever you gotta do.

For me, it is the huge hills/small mountains blocking the transmitters.
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

Raycom channels?

Which ones are those? I have never even heard of them.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

DirecTV and Raycom reach new agreement

Raycom Media Restores 43 Local Stations to DIRECTV Homes
Channels Already Beginning to Return into Customers’ Homes, Guaranteeing Saints, Browns and Other NFL Fans Today’s Season Openers
DirecTV Press Release, Business Wire - September 7, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· -DIRECTV
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4