dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-09-03 11:34:32: Updated with confirmation from Comcast & Charter. To help get their acquisition of Time Warner Cable approved, Comcast earlier this year proposed spinning off around 2.5 million customers into an entirely new company. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I think Heartland Communications would be better

Being from the Midwest they always referred to that neck of the woods as the Heartland.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Already taken:

»www.heartlandcomm.com/

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Temp name till its changed
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo

So, it can be reabsorbed in a year or two?

Spin it off, let it run for about a year, and then reabsorb it into one of the big 5 again when it becomes "not sustainable" to run. good plan, and this merger is all but rubber stamped to go with the looks of things.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Spinco name isn't bad

Greatland connections or Nexxia both sound ok.

Question: I am currently in a Charter market and the area I'm serviced from is in Coldwater, MI. According to the Charter-Comcast map that area is going to the Spinco. Does that mean I'll still be using Charter services or will I be using Comcast's services?

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah

Verizon

Sounds like they are pulling a Verizon and spinning off less profitable areas.

Not sure of the area, but like the above others say "heartland" means the midwest. Probably the ROI is so low they don't want these networks.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem

Premium Member

Please, please license Comcast's technology

That is the one aspect of Comcast that I am absolutely going to miss - they were the absolute leader in cable broadband technology development in this country. They rebuilt my area for the necessary DOCSIS 3.0 deployments years ago and have kept it well maintained. I presently have the 105/20 package and really enjoy it.

My fear is that Charter is going to neglect the plant and squeeze all the equity out of what Comcast had built in Michigan. Also known as 'slum-lording'
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to B4Knight

to B4Knight

Re: Spinco name isn't bad

I'd say it's unlikely that they would spend the money and effort to move the connection for your headend to Comcast when it's already connected to Charter. And Charter will likely be acquiring the spin-off company down the road anyway.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

2 recommendations

big_e

Their other name choice....

Podunk Communications must have been taken. I'm sure we will get the higher costs of Comcast combined with snails pace deployment of new technologies and the lack of choices of Charter.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: So, it can be reabsorbed in a year or two?

And you know it's all but a done deal. Comcast nearly got away with wining and dining the fools at the FCC and giving them shiny things.
devolved

devolved to B4Knight

to B4Knight

Sounds like a washer and dryer company.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Sounds like a company Bill O'Reilly would sue.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi to cybah

Premium Member

to cybah

Re: Verizon

Here's a map: »pmcdeadline2.files.wordp ··· 4845.jpg

Northeast TN/Southwest VA almost makes sense, since the majority of this area is already Charter. Chattanooga, well, you know why they're spinning that area off. Comcast can't compete with EPB's $70/mo 1gbps symmetrical service.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to karpodiem

to karpodiem

Re: Please, please license Comcast's technology

License Comcast tech? I thought DOCSIS was a standard. Did Comcast invent this?

At least in STL, the entry-level package is 100/4. Yeah, the upload needs help but... Spectrum is also supposed to go everywhere else with 60Mbps as the base package.

While not as progressive as Comcast, Charter doesn't appear to be in last place. Obviously some Charter areas are not as good as others and those folks may vehemently disagree.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to devolved

Premium Member

to devolved

Spinco does
B4Knight

B4Knight to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
lol!

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Charter outright ownership of NewCo/Greatland

"As part of the SpinCo process, Charter will take a 33% ownership stake in the new company, and have a front row seat for what will inevitably be an acquisition several years down the line, after most have forgotten the supposed regulatory justification for the deal in the first place."

There's no regulatory or public policy reason Charter couldn't own all of NewCo/Greatland immediately. They only reason they don't is because they cannot currently afford it. So there's no "regulatory justification" reasons they shouldn't be able to buy it outright later.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Not as horrid as it could be.

At least Michael Willner as CEO wont be a bad thing - he seemed to be pretty open with his customers.

So its not the absolute end of the world.

I wish they would have named the new company "Adelphia" just for old times sake. :P

GreyHound
@204.235.115.x

GreyHound

Anon

New Name

Sounds like the name of a bus company:
Greyhound, Heartland Express, Greatland Connections...

Hey, how about GreatLand Internet and Telephone Connections Heaven or GLITCH?

Yeah, Glitch sounds better

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Would these. . . .

2.5M happen to be subs comcast doesn't want to upgrade?
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: So, it can be reabsorbed in a year or two?

Hence 'spinco'.
It will end up as corporate/Wall Street wants it...

2 separate companies which are both owned by a single entity.
The reasons for the 2...

1. Smoke/mirror politics
2. The 'less desirable' markets (read more rural, lower profit margins, less affluent, etc.) will be in one company, and treated one way, while those in the more affluent markets will have a different level of service.

This is not much different than what happened with the wireless carriers a while back. AT&T/Verizon sold service in the markets that had a high return on investment, and sold off most everything else to Alltel/Cell One/USCC.

Thatguy
@174.239.2.x

Thatguy

Anon

Spin the name

If they are not sure if they are going to use Xfinity or Spectrum, why not combine those too.
xfinium or spectrinity.

Most likely the new company will be acquired by Charter in 4 years or less. If Comcast buys out Charter, it won't be for like 8 years or so. The whole spinco creation is a tax avoidance thing
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

Target stores have used the word Greatland

as a store brand name, and " Target Greatland " as a specific type of superstore in the past.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Correct Map?

I though Ohio was goin to Charter, but not the dot colors show Comcast taking us.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: Not as horrid as it could be.

said by Zenit_IIfx:

At least Michael Willner as CEO wont be a bad thing - he seemed to be pretty open with his customers.

That will make for a refreshing change !! Now will he ditch those outsourced CC "account EXECUTIVES" ?? My dream ....
FureverFurry

FureverFurry

Premium Member

New name sounds like a dating service

That proposed name sounds like some scammy dating service . Count me in with those others in the midwest that would like to see the word "Heartland" included, somehow, someway.

For fun and giggles, we need to come up with proposed slogans for this new company. I suggest "Today IS awesome because we're not Comcast."
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

Re: Correct Map?

Yeah, where are we going?

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

1 recommendation

mustang50 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry

Re: New name sounds like a dating service

"Any land without Comcast is a Greatland!!"
tehkwhiz
join:2012-02-28
Columbus, OH

tehkwhiz to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

Re: Correct Map?

I'd rather Commiecast over Charter. Even as bad of a company Comcast is, I'm just excited for Internet better than 50 Mbps in NW Ohio (Findlay and Bowling Green).

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Agreed, my general opinion of the merger will change if i can get some reliable confirmation who will take us over. While I finally got TWC (ex-insight) and will be somewhat sad to see that brand go away, i could tolerate another large national brand like Comcast more then some regional player that may be worse then Insight was in Charter.
page: 1 · 2 · next