dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2002-02-17 01:13:38: A while ago, as an experiment, we buried a link in these web pages that would generate a unique email address on a blank page when visited. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to CitizenX9

Premium Member

to CitizenX9

Re: Don't forget..

Brightmail, which for Earthlink subscribers is
called Spaminator, has gotten a lot more effective
at reducing the amount of spam that gets to your
inbox lately. When they first started it, Spaminator
was somewhat hit or miss, getting some spam and letting
others through while occasionally stopping legitimate
email.

There has been one spammer that has been getting past
it, and I was using Mailwasher to bounce their spam
back, to no effect. A few days ago, the spamming stopped:
I found out that they got caught by Spaminator, and so
never reached my inbox.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

how does mailwasher work?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to e144539

MVM

to e144539

Re: /. (Hey Justin)

So, I wasn't around when the story hit slashdot or for a good while afterwards... How'd the site hold up ?? Can you show a 'chart' of site hits for today ?? Just curious.

CitizenX9
join:2002-01-09
Longview, TX

CitizenX9 to TZi

to TZi

Hotmail isn't a "real" e-mail address. It is not an e-mail assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider. That's the difference between a "real" e-mail and one you get from free mail services like hotmail.

JustMe-
@mindspring.com

JustMe- to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay

Re: I don't like Spam!

Encourage your ISP to block mail originating from open relays. Some, including Earthlink, already do. Report any that you find to your ISP to be added to that block list.

Also, if you only receive legitimate email from a set list of people, you can setup your email program to filter out anything that comes in from someone not on that list. It doesnt prevent it from getting sent to you, but it does make it easier to not have to look at.

TeatherWind
join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

TeatherWind

/. Is on to something when to spammers..

It seems that this search engine requires those that want to run the ads.. to pay per click..

so .. click on the spammers ads and make em pay!

»www.overture.com/d/searc ··· lk+email

One click, per person, per day.. but woohoo!
[text was edited by author 2002-02-18 00:51:56]

nekote
join:2000-12-16
Hopkinton, MA

nekote to Copzilla$

to Copzilla$

Re: Alternative SPAM trap

Ahh, forwarding it to the CEO.

Now That's Cool!

OTOH, "an eye for an eye and pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - an email for an email ... now where's that gonna' lead? ;(

GrandFunkRR$
Guitar Player Music Maker
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
FunkU2

GrandFunkRR$ to sonofjay

Premium Member

to sonofjay

Re: I don't like Spam!

Spam sucks!! IMHO it's borderline harrassment. Shut em' down!!!!!!

Copzilla$
Mmm... Donuts
join:2000-10-10
Friendswood, TX

Copzilla$ to pvale

to pvale

Re: Post fake email addresses... everyone play!

If you have all the addresses on one page, most spam spiders will bypass that list. The reason is because it suspects a baited page.

You have to put like 5 or less addresses per page in order to get maximum impact, and then link to them in a series.
BrickWeston
join:2001-02-20
Palisades Park, NJ

BrickWeston to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds

Re: Too bad they did forge this guy's domain. :-)

I think Rodona Garst would be considered "owned" by her fellow spammer bitchmates. Getting someones Social Security # and letting them know you have it will always send a well deserved chill up a pain in the a$$es spine, but posting it on the internet and its still up for 2 years?? What is this Rodona lady clueless? Seems so. Unless that webserver has no TOS. Man I really enjoyed the 2 hours I spent glossing over that website. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing that woman have her life made public. I bet she just cringes when she sees those love letters at the end. LOL

MIABye
Premium Member
join:2001-10-28
united state

MIABye to quientus

Premium Member

to quientus

Re: 2002-01-09 14:16:05 Boost Your Windows Reliability

Ok, just get Windows XP

the guru
@telocity.com

the guru to quientus

Anon

to quientus
windows reliability issues?
get linux !
»www.mandrake.org/

MIABye
Premium Member
united state

MIABye

Premium Member

ICQ Spam

On the subject of spam. Is it just me, or has spam on the instant messenger program ICQ become just as bad as (or worse than) e-mail?

reusel
@t-dialin.net

reusel

Anon

Just refuse to accept messages/connections from users not on your Contact List, and voila, all the spam is gone.

MIABye
Premium Member
united state

MIABye

Premium Member

said by reusel:
Just refuse to accept messages/connections from users not on your Contact List, and voila, all the spam is gone.
I would rather not do that, but if spam keeps coming in at the rate it has I will do it. It is nice to know that option is there. In the mean time the ignore button is being used for all it's worth.

Bigman68
Bigger Is Better
join:2000-12-07
West Haven, CT

Bigman68 to MIABye

to MIABye
I used to get a lot of spam on ICQ, until one day this link came across also: »www.binaryresearch.net/blockme/
I did some of the things suggested and the spam was basically gone after that.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8

Here's their FAQ page: »www.mailwasher.net/faq.php

In short, what it does is to allow one to intercept
email at the server, and then decide whether to
delete, accept or bounce it back to the sender. At
present it only works with POP3 based email, which rules
out Yahoo or Hotmail. However, the developer says that
if there's enough demand, a future version will support
MAPI and web based accounts.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to nklb

to nklb

Re: Cool test

one thing I did that kept me from getting spam for years was to begin my email account with a _. I opened it about 6 years ago and didn't start getting spam until about a year ago and I think that was my fault.. I accidentally used it to register somewhere without thinking about it... most email providers won't allow you to use that as a beginning character so they don't usually catch those ones.

Lyc360
join:2001-09-23
Davidsonville, MD

Lyc360 to nklb

to nklb
great idea.

AS an old timer, I used variations on my name for magazine subscriptions in the past to track this sort of thing. Now it's email addresses. Plus c'a change, plus c'a meme chose, as they say.
gotacap
join:2001-12-22
Arlington, TX

gotacap to nekote

to nekote

Re: Alternative SPAM trap

I use this method too, every time I need to fill out an e-mail address I make up one on the spot, but I take it a step further, for my personal friends I also group my e-mail messages telling different groups of my personal friends and family different addresses as well, this way if I even get spammed at one of these for some unknown reason (like if one of them fw's me a message along with dozens of other people, I HATE it when that happens) I just kill that address too and only have to tell a few friends a new address. It's a great way to keep the spam down.

In response to the replies, hmm, I never thought about fwing it back to the company that sold my e-mail address, how clever.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to dnoyeB

Premium Member

to dnoyeB

Re: Here's an idea

Maybe. That all depends on what you're talking about when you say "my main program."

The task you're talking about is exceptionally easy (comparatively) with Sendmail::Milter and Sendmail for instance, if you know Perl.

quientus
So Red Shoes
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11
San Jose, CA

quientus to MIABye

Premium Member

to MIABye

said by ArchAngel21x:
Ok, just get Windows XP
I am using windows xp. crashes everythime i go into a shockwave site or specific java stuff. video card drivers ack.

MIABye
Premium Member
united state

MIABye

Premium Member

said by user5412:
said by ArchAngel21x:
Ok, just get Windows XP
I am using windows xp. crashes everythime i go into a shockwave site or specific java stuff. video card drivers ack.

Yeah right after I installed XP I could not go into the windows update without it freezing. However once I got an updated video card driver from the computer manufacturer everything was good to go. Even Bill said it is important to get reliable drivers for stability. And to think I thought it was just Windows the whole time.....

quientus
So Red Shoes
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

quientus

Premium Member

its too bad i have a voodoo 3 3000.

default drivers wont even let me play cs so i have to use unspported..

cynicalhacker
@od.nih.gov

cynicalhacker to quientus

Anon

to quientus
Too stupid to use Linux? Get a Mac and run OSX. It's built on Darwin - a Unix foundation. If you like mac and like to hack you can hit the command line running.
;-p

Trust me you will never miss WinBLOWS ... it will seem like a bad dream from which you have been awakened. Go on, take the pill! Fall down the rabbit hole! Get a REAL OS!!

Friedchicken
@204.209.x.x

Friedchicken to ImFixingIt

Anon

to ImFixingIt

Re: This is easy.

How about prohibiting the use of unsolicited email for marketing purposes? Attack the person who is paying these freaks cash to start the cycle..

quientus
So Red Shoes
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

quientus to cynicalhacker

Premium Member

to cynicalhacker

said by cynicalhacker:
Too stupid to use Linux? Get a Mac and run OSX. It's built on Darwin - a Unix foundation. If you like mac and like to hack you can hit the command line running.
;-p

Trust me you will never miss WinBLOWS ... it will seem like a bad dream from which you have been awakened. Go on, take the pill! Fall down the rabbit hole! Get a REAL OS!!
Oh wow, a mac user dissing me!

Whateverhotmailcom
@popsite.net

Whateverhotmailcom to Brian_F

Anon

to Brian_F

Brian, you say that it isn't your fault. You compare it to a gun-shop selling a gun that kills someone.

But the gun-shop isn't the one that shoots them. If the spam messages are coming from your server, or advertising a website hosted on your server, than you *are* the one that's shooting them.

You are apparently giving away free access, similar to Hotmail and others. Dealing with the spammers is an expense. If you do a good job, then the expense is all yours. If you do a lousy job, the problem gets spread out to other people because you didn't do your job.

Don't be surprised when you find your IP's and your domains in various blacklists. Nobody wants to deal with a provider (paid or not) who allows the crap out.

Quit puking all over every system on the net, and people will quit thinking that you're slime. Until then - keep your slime away from me.
wkearney99
join:2000-12-05
Bethesda, MD

wkearney99 to RAZ Black

to RAZ Black

Re: Teach us how to stop these people.

Would it be better to mask that IP address as coded string of some kind?

In this demo you're just putting their IP address in the e-mail address. All they'd have to do would be to check against the address containing an IP address.

That way they spam trawling bot code would not have as easy a time checking against it.

It's supposed to be on a page that's not going to be humanly read. So you're not going to get hits unless something is programmtically loading the page.

So you could have some sort of random word generator tracking their IP address and issuing a custom address based on it.

You might consider your robots.txt file requesting they NOT traverse the page. This way they'd engaging in a second form of abuse, trawling the page when being explicity asked no to do so.

bncache
@213.203.x.x

bncache to ImFixingIt

Anon

to ImFixingIt

I dont agree, he just provides the gun. The spammer is the one using it.
The difference is that he can take the gun away from the abuser once it is abused.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next