spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2003-10-07 20:16:58: Plans to install a Wi-Fi network in an Illinois school have been halted due to a lawsuit by parents alleging health concerns. As with concerns about the health impact of 3G, there's little research that confirms or disputes such claims. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

That's what you get...

... when you try to get with the times and offer people free technology. I hope the judge rules in favor of the school.
--
It's true, I have bought a 17" powerbook!

wiff2

@4.36.x.x

Re: That's what you get...

They better stop walking in front of brick walls on a sunny day too!!!!

MDboyz

join:2001-01-11
Silver Spring, MD
This is why technoloty moves forward slowly...
--
@Home, I want to go @Home!!!
tdkyo

join:2002-12-07
Rochester, NY

Agreed. The whole law suit is a waste of money and time.

l33t
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
What have we become of these days stupid parents.
--
Your friendly computer genius since 1990
jimraelee

join:2003-03-19
Forest Grove, OR

have we become... I thought we were breeding them.. we let the gov take more and more responsibility of our children... they feed our kids twice a day... try to descide on what religon we want or dont want... and other such things. We as parents are not thinking clearly on things... why cant we get back to schools teaching our kids the 3 r's ( for you spring chickens out there 3 r'2 is Reading wRiting and aRithmatic) and let us parents do the raising of our kids. Ihope those parents who are worried about wi-fi dont watch tv or listen to radios???? all those radio waves... and what about the talk of those damm cell phones emiting rf into your ear... OH MY

UnKown
The Underground Network

join:2002-09-08
Orlando, FL

i was tought that the three r's meant

Recyling, Reusing, and something else, but i forget. maybe Responsibility or some other crap that no1 cares about

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
Miami, FL

You mean reduce, reuse, and recycle?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
i bet these parents sueing are seen daily in their SUV on their cellphone.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

UnKown
The Underground Network

join:2002-09-08
Orlando, FL

thats exactly it maddog

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by Kearnstd:

Its always wackos like that that would bring on a lawsuit like that. Lord knows what other "unhealthy" things they do.
CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-17
Baxter, KY

said by Rambo76098:
said by Kearnstd:

Its always wackos like that that would bring on a lawsuit like that. Lord knows what other "unhealthy" things they do.
Exactly. Cigarettes, they have NO purpose in life but to be addictive and cause body damage. Even saccharine is harmful, yet both are still perfectly legal to use. At least with cell phones and WI-FI you get some practical use out of them.
--
Thank you for choosing SBC Internet Services. My name is Rick. How may I help you today?

Not-Ignorant

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
Sad really. Sure technology is great, but I would be interested in what you would all say after finding out you have brain cancer. A little different perspective on life if you now it may end shortly.

Microwaves and Cell phones are convenience tools. No one was every really concerned about the affect it would have on us, more importantly they were interested on how much money they could make.

Do some research if you can, they are volumes and volumes of studies that can link cell mutation to electronic fields.

We will all think twice when you find a sweet house for sale, then realize that High Tension power lines cascade through your backyard.

Common sense died with Glam-Rock in the 80's.....
vfpguy
Alias Dotnetguy

join:2001-07-21
Wayne, NJ

said by Not-Ignorant:
Do some research if you can, they are volumes and volumes of studies that can link cell mutation to electronic fields.
And there are just as many studies that say there is no link. Who's studies should we believe?
--
"...a great, serene and peaceful future can slip from us quite as irrevocably by neglect, division and inaction, as by spectacular disaster." -- H. Truman, 6/21/56
CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
Baxter, KY

1 recommendation

Do people even realize there are constant radio frequencies and satellite frequencies at as high of frequencies as cell phones? DO people realize that light is a very very high frequency radio wave with a fair amount of radiation too.
The sun causes more damage than cell phones or wireless technology. There are black holes light years away that emit enough xrays that they reach the earth, but you never hear them panic about it. Hypocritical paranoia is what it amounts to.
--
Thank you for choosing SBC Internet Services. My name is Rick. How may I help you today?

bumper43

@dhcp-acs2.sea.ii
For you to be credible you should learn to spell. It seems like you know what your talking about if you can spell the words, or use spellcheck.

Tactics
Green Lantern

join:2001-03-29
Pinehurst, NC

1 recommendation

said by bumper43:
For you to be credible you should learn to spell. It seems like you know what your talking about if you can spell the words, or use spellcheck.
Dude you got his point right!? wtf with these people. Only reply to this whole thread and it's to tell someone to learn to spell. *sigh* I hate that sh!t!! friggin idiot.
--
"The man who learns only what others know is ignorant as if he learns nothing. The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded most harshly" -Chronicle of the First Age

Rambo76098

Columbus, OH

Only an English teacher would put in something like that... or someone with a Really Big mental problem.
System The same also might take a look around at the mega-watt TV transmiiters that have been around for 40 years.

draven
Ex-Mod 2004-10
join:2002-02-20
my bunker
Then instead of taking a step back by disallowing WiFi, you take two steps foreward by implementing WiFi along with safety measures to prevent any so-called unhealthy exposure.

Plus, I'm a firm believer in Karma. If you get brain cancer, it was meant to be!
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Well, electricity causes magnetic fields, and they can cause cancer, so perhaps these Families in Illinois can do us all a favor and rip all technology out of their house and have their electricity turned off, and instead live by candles and woodburning fireplace....

Oh wait I think the smoke is bad for you...
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)
CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
Baxter, KY

said by KrK:
Oh wait I think the smoke is bad for you...

Yep. It has been linked to lung cancer in high doses.

As I stated above and someone below, Radio, TV, Satellite TV, and many other industries utilize the 3 ghz plus frequency ranges. What's the difference in adding another thing?
--

z9_87
Ill - Ini
Premium
join:2001-09-23
Urbana, IL

2 recommendations

DON"T FORGET POLICE RADAR!!!!! GET RID OF THAT TO. Matter of fact, if they win lets all sue the state for overexposure to RF waves from police radar. HEHE!
--
Socom Rules!
CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
Baxter, KY

Sure. Let's not forget gas. It has to be refined from oil which causes a lot of pollution. All power plants except hydroelectric plants to be shut down. All businesses using electricity except those from an hydroelectric power plant.

I could go on all day.

Point is, why try to outlaw or ban something that is no more harmful than the monitor we're all looking in to, or the microwave in everyone's kitchen or the processor in everyone's computer.
--

algorithm3
And I Should Care - Why?

join:2001-07-23
Huntington, NY
Let's not forget that asbestos was the greatest thing since sliced rye in 1939. Parents have every right to demand that safety be proved and not assumed.
--
"Those who can not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana - 1905

aw3dhg

join:2001-09-05
Bloomingburg, NY
Reviews:
·EarthLink

said by algorithm3:
Let's not forget that asbestos was the greatest thing since sliced rye in 1939. Parents have every right to demand that safety be proved and not assumed.

[on-rant]
amazing how the "sue" zealots are the first to bitch about property taxes going up I personally know of a district of only 1400 students that lost 230,000 dollars defending against mostly frivolous lawsuits just last year alone, they now just settle as it is cheaper than the lawyers even when they have a winnable case.. I just saw this school's special ed dept settle for almost 5G's with parents who had unilaterally placed their kid in a private school, this kid IS NOT a special ed student but upon threatening the district with a lawsuit to pony up the yearly tuition the district saved about 45,000 but just giving them cash ... it is a way of life to do this crap in affluent districts all over this country now... wanna lower your property taxes and still have funds for pet studies ? quit suing everyone especially schools god knows with all the inane unfunded mandates imposed by the present regime they are hard pressed enough just trying to provide basic education [/off rant]

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

said by aw3dhg:
quit suing everyone especially schools
but...but then these people (the ones who file bogus lawsuits) would actually have to EARN their money! Gasp! Can't have that!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by KrK:
but...but then these people (the ones who file bogus lawsuits) would actually have to EARN their money!
I know! Think of the children!

Oh wait, never mind
--
The tobacco industry is more respectable than the telemarketing industry.

Rambo76098

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by KrK:
said by aw3dhg:
quit suing everyone especially schools
but...but then these people (the ones who file bogus lawsuits) would actually have to EARN their money! Gasp! Can't have that!
Hmm for everyone like that there's a thing called "A JOB!"
You might want to try getting one.
dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Rambo76098:
Hmm for everyone like that there's a thing called "A JOB!"
You might want to try getting one.
Speaking of jobs, I understand there's plenty of need for teachers that can teach others how to read.

Then, for example, they'd be able to read lawsuits before commenting on them.

Then, for example, they'd notice that no monetary damages were asked for in the suit. The plaintiffs are seeking an injunction.

Then, quite possibly, they'd stop posting crap about 'earning money', as if that had any applicability to this case.

I seem to be taking the side of the plaintiffs in this; which is odd because I think they're factually in the wrong. But I'm appalled at the ignorance shown in this forum, and the lack of willingness to actually go and read.
CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
Baxter, KY

This thread has actually spread to the general ignorance of people suing for ignorant reasons. Regardless of whether there was monetary damages claimed or just wanting it to cease, is minute. The whole point is why try to stop something that has no proven side affects besides actually increasing cerebral performance?
--

••••••

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

said by dave:
But I'm appalled at the ignorance shown in this forum, and the lack of willingness to actually go and read.
... Yeah, and then there's the people who apparently don't or can't follow the threading of the posts properly and in so doing see how the discussion has evolved, changed, or had related points interjected; these people then feel it's ok to insult and flame other users for their posts. Such behavior is probably born out of ego or an over-valued sense of their own self-importance.
--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists, and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service." - former FCC Chairman William Kennard (A real FCC Chairman, unlike the current Corporate Spokesperson in the job!)
pkust

join:2001-08-09
Houston, TX
said by MadDog3057:
... when you try to get with the times and offer people free technology. I hope the judge rules in favor of the school.

The sad irony of this lawsuit is that it obscures the real damage this technology does to the brain.

Students using computers too often are students who are unable to think. Most of my stepson's friends (including the ones in the "advanced" classes) struggle with basic multiplication and division without a calculator. One derides books as "boring." Spelling without the aid of a spellcheck program is a lost cause. The computer-as-teaching-aid seems, to my mind, to be just an extension of the television-as-babysitter that is the norm in far too many households.

Technology can indeed damage young minds. The damage, however, is wrought through inculcation of sloppy mental habits, rather than immersion in electromagnetic radiation fields.
--
Cordially,

Peter Nayland Kust
pkust@smsysinc.com
Secure Mobile Systems, Inc.
www.smsysinc.com
Cyron

join:2002-09-24
Charlotte, NC

I completely agree. Hell, I think they should do away with pen and paper. Imagine all these morons out there having to use scratch paper to do arithmetic. (Please note xtreme sarcasm).

Tools are just that, tools. The computer is no different than a pen and paper. I can show someone how to do long division on pen and paper, but that doesn't mean they understand it (and they assuredly couldn't do it without the tool provided). As long as the teachers are explaining everything (still up to the kid to learn) in a manner that provides the ability to comprehend, it doesn't matter what tool they use.

Rambo76098

Columbus, OH
Some people are just too sue-happy. I hope the court dismisses the case for a lack of evidence of damage to health.

z9_87
Ill - Ini
Premium
join:2001-09-23
Urbana, IL
next thing you know, there's going be TV adds showing dead bodies and cancerous tissue due to Wi-Fi. (not that im for smoking, and in fact hate it) But still this is all ridiculous.

X_Digit
Binary Enhanced
Premium
join:2003-06-12
Mansfield, TX
Suing is a rich individual's "thrill-seeking" passtime. While some like skydiving, paragliding, etc. (anything that pumps their adrenaline with playing on life's edge), others are fruitless and cowards. The cowards then have to turn to another source of "high-intensity" passtime to fullfill their shits & giggles. Thus... they like to file suit against everything and anything possible, for whatever reason. Why go to Vegas, when the U.S. legal system is a good source of "gambling"? Will I win this one and score big, or will I loose?
dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by X-digit:
Will I win this one and score big, or will I loose?
Merely looking at the complaint would have told you that they're not asking for money.
said by X_Digit:
Dave, again (as I mentioned in another post), since when did our courts become a platform JUST TO ASK QUESTIONS?
When, as it said in the complaint, the 'responsible' authorities refuse to answer your questions or hear your objections.
quote:
I wondered why other countries looked at us as spoiled rotten little babies!
Speaking as a representative of Her Britannic Majesty's people, I say that we think your legal system does have its comical aspects, but this isn't one of those occasions.
[text was edited by author 2003-10-09 22:35:30]

Techie2000
In Vertigo
Premium
join:2001-12-05

How many of these parents have cell phones?

They're all hypocrites...

••••••••••••••••••

panth1
The Coyote

join:2000-12-11
Boca Raton, FL

Whats so bad?

I grew a third eye but it helps me see the whole board now.

A third arm could also help with taking notes too.

Anyone else experience this?
--
ISPs: Road Runner/Powerlink Status: Road Runner

x30n_
Not Sure What Color Pill To Call It
Premium
join:2000-09-14
wrong turn

Re: Whats so bad?

said by panth1:
I grew a third eye but it helps me see the whole board now.

A third arm could also help with taking notes too.

Anyone else experience this?

No, but it increased the size of my member.
vfpguy
Alias Dotnetguy

join:2001-07-21
Wayne, NJ

Re: Whats so bad?

Hey you know? You should send an email to a couple of million people telling them how you did it!
vic102482
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Upper Marlboro, MD

Hrm

What about their next door neighbors with cordless phones?

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
Miami, FL

Re: Hrm

You know, it's sad what this is all coming to. People wanting money and suing people for stupid reasons. Unless the school is freaking putting some piece of equipment on their property they need to lay off this stupid crap.
--
It's true, I have bought a 17" powerbook!

backfeed
is giving feedback

join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

Here we go again

It seems like every piece of new technology is going to kill us. I can remember my parents telling me that if I sat too close to the TV in the evening I was going to go blind or be impotent or all kinds of other bad things. Now I sit in front of a 19" monitor all day. I had a friend that told me stories of how the old timers had a fit when the power lines were strung out into the country. It was killing cattle and causing his chickens to lay their eggs sideways..or something like that... Same old tune just a new topic!!
--
dialup?, what's that?

Rimi
Premium
join:2002-03-05
The World

1 recommendation

Gotta get rid of those satellites too

We're already getting bombarded by 3-7GHz (C Band, i.e. network TV feeds) and 10-15Ghz (Ku band, i.e. DirectTV) microwave from all those satellites over the US and from those telco microwave towers throughout the US so we're already getting our US Daily Recommended Percentage of radiation, so we really shouldn't add to our current 24/7/365 dosage (grin).

Oh, and don't forget the 1.1Ghz-3.8Ghz Intel/AMD processor PCs we use in our daily lives, especially the ones that have that BIG window on the side of the case or don't have any metal surrounding the motherboard.
--
"He who hits head on wall, probably deserved it"..LOL

[text was edited by author 2003-10-07 20:53:40]

bky
moof moof
Premium
join:2002-07-05
San Francisco, CA

stupid

This is so stupid.
--
Write that down.

Anti_Cyrix
Premium
join:2003-03-06
Sacramento, CA

Re: stupid

said by bky:
This is so stupid.

I agree. Why don't those parents do something good for their kids... like read them a bed-time story instead of trying to sue the local school and its technology.

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
join:1999-11-09
Round Rock, TX

Ban 2.4Ghz phones as well?

I assume the school and those parents don't use 2.4Ghz phones or cell phones at home either. They just popped out of dark ages?

broknsymetry
What Time Is It And Why?
Premium
join:2003-06-27
THE VOID

1 recommendation

The Solution!

Well here is one solution. I wonder how many of the kids in that school are carrying around cellphones...
[text was edited by author 2003-10-07 20:53:01]

rothan
Premium
join:2000-11-07
Wenham, MA

Re: The Solution!

said by broknsymetry:
Well here is one solution. I wonder how many of the kids in that school are carrying around cellphones...
[text was edited by author 2003-10-07 20:53:01]

Just about all of them. This is so laughable. The parents are getting more radiation in front of those microwaves than WiFi lmao.
--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

ifarrell

join:2000-08-10
Willow Spring, NC
These people are so ignorant and have probably been given some bad advice by some money grabbing scum sucking lawyer. I hope the School wins and these looser parents fail in this complete waste of taxpayers money.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

Oak Park. Figures.

Want to bet they're busy plotting this using their PCS wireless phone plastered against their head for hours?
--
Open your eyes see the lies right in front of you.

••••••

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Sue

There are 3 APs in my vicinity. Can I sue owners?
Electromagnetic waves are passing through my room, should I sue owners of the sources?
Please....
Some people just don't know what to do with their free time.
--
We are the Borg! Resistance Is Futile! You Will Be Assimilated!

Yowzaaah
Ours Go To Eleven

join:2000-12-14
DamnFlat, OH

2 recommendations

Okay, my dirty little secret

For those of you not aware of the shame I cart around daily.......I'm a lawyer. GASP!!! I know, I know...I'm disappointed in myself as well. My poor mother can barely show her face in public.

I have always believed that our "sue 'em if you feel lucky" system would be better if we borrowed a bit more from the English. No I'm not talking about the silly little horse hair wigs. I mean the "English Rule". Essentially, if you bring a civil suit for damages and you lose, you pay the court cost and all costs associated with the prevailing party's defense of the claim. (I would actually leave out injunctive and mandamus - look it up- relief since there are legitimate public interest groups who have borderline cases that should be brought to court).

The current system allows for well heeled plaintiffs' attorneys to carry the costs of specious tort claims on behalf of nut job (legal term) clients in the hopes of either nuisance money settlements or jackpot verdicts. Currently, the only downside to such expeditionary plaintiffs' lawyers should they lose are the filing fees and their own time.

People should think twice before they sue, the English Rule will not prevent worthwhile claims from being made and it will lessen the load of our judicial system considerably. Hell, I'd even be in favor of apportioning the costs assessment equally between the losing plaintiff and his lawyer.
--
Don't suspect your friends...Report Them. Brazil (if you haven't seen it, you should)

••••••

srbianats
Premium
join:2002-08-21
Lake Villa, IL

i got a ticket

Does this mean we can sue cops for using radar guns on us?
stftk14

join:2003-01-21
East Lansing, MI

Re: i got a ticket

lol this is hilarious!

lets all sue the local pd.

sass

@telus.net

HUH

Don't have microwave ovens, tv/device remotes, garage openers, any electrical items. Lets all go back to the stone age. You'll be surprise what you find with a leakage meter and these parents are worry about WLAN. Don't send you kids to school!

Trebonious
Premium
join:2001-06-29
Dallas, TX

*sigh*

Some people just need to be back handed...

Makes you wonder how they graduated in the first place.

•••••

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

This town...

...is so close to Chicago it surprises me how the intelligence level drops to much in such short distance.

And O'Hare airport is right by this town too! Hmm, I bet not one device at that airport emits radiation...

I'm glad I live in the south
achuchma

join:2001-04-11
Tampa, FL

Re: This town...

Actually, they are in the glide paths of both ORD and MDW...Oak Park has more air traffic flying over it than most of any other suburb...

Well educated town...stupid people...
--
Playing the Tuba isn't an art, it's an adventure! http://www.lakesidepride.org

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

OMG Read this!

This is in the lawsuit that is being filed. It sounds like something out of the movie Signs...

"For example, responsible scientists have reported that prolonged exposure to low intensity RF radiation can break down DNA strands, cause chromosome aberrations and break down the blood-brain barrier, thereby permitting toxic proteins to invade the brain."

Blood-brain barrier? Are these ppl making this up?
I think that the 8th grade class wrote this complaint. Look at the bottom the of document where the attorney is supposed to sign it, it says
Signed: ___________________________
(one of their attorneys)
WTF? Oh yeah, thats proffessional.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

Re: OMG Read this!

said by exocet_cm:
Blood-brain barrier? Are these ppl making this up?
I think that the 8th grade class wrote this complaint.
Are you saying that there is no such thing as a blood-brain barrier? Because if you are, there a quite a few pharmaceutical firms that would love to hear about it.
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

Re: OMG Read this!

No I'm saying it just sounds made up. I haven't researched anything about the blood-brain barrier, but I will.

"Signed: ___________________________
(one of their attorneys)"

The signature line, I don't know if it is the way that your supposed to have it on legal documents, but it dosen't look professional to me. I'm no lawyer, so don't quote me.
[text was edited by author 2003-10-08 06:44:21]
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

How dumb is this?

I have no idea what these parents are thinking? Wifi is safer than your microwave ovan, cell phone, 2.4ghz cordless phone, etc. I bet about 50% of the people involved in this lawsuit have wifi at home. How can you go after a school for using wifi if you use it at home? Almost all of the studies involving wifi are incomclusive at best. If it was so dangerus why did the fcc aprove its use and why are almost all of our hospitals installing wifi?
douggreglas

join:2003-10-07
Falls Church, VA

Greater Implications

Greenpeace - a bunch of nice, misguided people. This is what my physics teacher says, and he's right. Along with these "concerned parents." Idiots who hold strong opinions on things they dont understand can be found all over. For example, people have been raising a big ruckus over a slightly radioactive component in smoke detectors. However, unless you consume them by the bucketfull daily, the radiation will be not only negligable, but also unable to pass through your skin.

And as to worries over high-tension power lines, thats simply rediculous; the earth's magnetic field that we have been and will continue to be imersed in is at least 10 times as strong as any power line.

Furthermore, coal, containing carbon-14, is radioactive, and because of the heavy precautions at nuclear powerplants, you will receive more radiation standing over a grill than you will standing in front of a power plant.

l33t
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

In it for the money.

I think the parents are suing for the money greedy bastards.
--
Your friendly computer genius since 1990

••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next