dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2003-12-19 15:49:45: In today's SunSpot.net, Comcast announces a broadband upgrade: "Comcast said it invested nearly $50 million in the upgrade. ..

china crisis
join:2003-05-28

china crisis

Melting Comcast's fiber

They claim to be pretty quick in Boston too.
»www.seacoastonline.com/n ··· 6426.htm

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

Price is correct for TV customers

Well, it's still $42.95 if you have their cable TV service, and I think most Comcast Internet customers do.

teddystacker
join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

teddystacker

Also the guy do not remember that 3.00mb was the speed prior to Feb 2002,when Comcast cut the speed by 50% - these people have very short memories

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to insomniac

Premium Member

to insomniac
In Boston they state the stipulations:

(from china crisis See Profile's article)
"Comcast High-Speed Internet is available for $42.95 per month for current cable television customers."

No such stipulations on the price are stated in the Delaware blurb. Has Comcast removed the cable tv requirement in Delaware?

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy

The catv requirement is valid for all Comcast areas.

Remember the media writes what they want to report and may/usually leaves out other details.

J D McDorce
Premium Member
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI

J D McDorce

Premium Member

Although there are cases where the media writes what they are told - with some of the details being left out by the person providing them with the information.
J D McDorce

J D McDorce to china crisis

Premium Member

to china crisis

Re: Melting Comcast's fiber

Do you get the impression that someone typo'ed a common press release?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

1 edit

JTRockville to J D McDorce

Premium Member

to J D McDorce

Re: Price is correct for TV customers

Doesn't Comcast own some media outlets?

I looked to see who owned delawareonline, and here's what it said:

This www.delawareonline.com website (the “Service” ) is owned and operated by [corporate name of website owner]

I couldn't find any additional information about "[corporate name of website owner]" though. Very odd name for a company.

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

1 edit

Floppy

said by JTRockville:
Doesn't Comcast own some media outlets?

I looked to see who owned delawareonline, and here's what it said:

This www.delawareonline.com website (the “Service” ) is owned and operated by [corporate name of website owner]

I couldn't find any additional information about "[corporate name of website owner]" though.

delawareonline.com is owned by a newspaper called "The News Journal.

Comcast doesn't own any news media co. (yet)

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium Member
join:2003-07-27
Vancouver, WA

2 edits

Epikos to JTRockville

Premium Member

to JTRockville
A whois on the domain leads me to believe that 'The News Journal' is owned by someone called Information Network, Inc, GanSat. AKA; Gannett Media Technologies International (GMTI), a subsidiary of Gannett Co.

Corporate Overview

Gannett Co., Inc. is a leading international news and information company that reaches audiences through publishing, television and the Internet. Gannett is the largest newspaper group in the U.S. where it publishes 100 daily newspapers including USA TODAY, the nation's largest-selling daily newspaper. Gannett’s combined average daily U.S. circulation is 7.7 million and 7.2 million on Sunday. Gannett also owns almost 500 non-daily publications in the US and USA WEEKEND, a weekly newspaper magazine with a circulation of 23.7 million.

And on the usatoday website i get "© Copyright 2003 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc."

It doesn't appear that Gannett is owned or operated by any of the 9 major media corporations - I think they are their own entity.

All information is verifiable. Research done on
www.Google.com
»www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/f ··· /giants/
»www.fair.org/extra/9711/gmg.html
»www.gannett.com/
www.USATODAY.com
www.netsol.com
And information used to verify gansat's relations as a subsidiary to Gannett inc was found at www.ftc.gov

Also, delawareonline displays two Gannett logos on the bottom of their website, along with one of USATODAY, a subsidiary of Gannett – as stated above.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Nybbles?

OK, how many meganybbles is that then?

assemblyguy
@comcast.net

assemblyguy

Anon

that's easy

callihn4
join:2002-01-10
Space

callihn4 to teddystacker

to teddystacker

Re: Price is correct for TV customers

said by teddystacker:
Also the guy do not remember that 3.00mb was the speed prior to Feb 2002,when Comcast cut the speed by 50% - these people have very short memories

Exaaaaaaaactly!!!
callihn4

1 recommendation

callihn4 to mbernste

to mbernste

Re: Nybbles?

OK since there are 8 bits per byte or 2 nibbles in a byte that would come to:

3000000Mb / 4N = 750000N or .75MN

But I am tired and somewhat sleep deprived this morning.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude

the answer to the question