dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2004-11-22 09:50:03: MuniWireless has more on the passage of a Verizon backed bill in Pennsylvania that is not only packed with incentives, but also bans all community based operations from getting into the broadband business. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

draven

join:2002-02-20
my bunker

draven

Gee...

I had this game once, where I could buy houses and properties and I always used the little race car as my playing piece, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called ...
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

I wonder

How much more of this it is going to take to get people to vote these legislators out of office....
DonLibes

join:2003-01-19

DonLibes

lobby the governor

There's still time to have the bill vetoed by the governor. PA residents should actively lobby the governor for a veto.
thewingeek
join:2004-11-18
Baldwin Park, CA

thewingeek to draven

to draven

Re: Gee...

It's called... MONOPOLY! lol

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

2 recommendations

ropeguru

Premium Member

I think

it is time for a complete overhaul of our entire political system. Time to kick everyone out of office and start new and not let any of the old ones back in.

They are all obviously a bunch of ignorant, greedy morons anyway!!!

technick
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO

technick

Premium Member

BullCrap

quote:
also bans all community based operations from getting into the broadband business
I am going to dispatch my sharks with freaking lasers to kill who ever is behind this flaming decision.
dirtkahuna
join:2001-05-21
Corunna, MI

dirtkahuna

Politicians/Big Business

Most politicians are only looking out for big business, not the underserved constituents who haven't got any way to get broadband access.

I'm working on a similar muni/private solution in Michigan, and as far as I know, there's not a similar bill in the works here.

Let's hope that people rally together and bombard the governor with their opposition.

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957

Premium Member

You have GOT to be kidding!

They need to get Verizon's approval before making changes/upgrading. Any time they ask Verizon will say 'Oh we can do it better'. And the tone of it sounds like competition is being removed. (going to another carrier would be change, so they would have to ask for approval?!?!)

I agree completely, call/contact the PA Governor on this. NOW!

COmon timeWARner

Anon

MONEY TALKS

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

welcome to Verizon press 1 for judicary

Well,
I guess since Comcast didnt get a say, they should be sueing. When you call Verizon now here is the menu.

For sales. press 1
for other sales press 2
for judicary press 3.
To speak to your premade choice of broadband choose 1

sbhusted
join:2000-05-14
Bethlehem, PA

2 recommendations

sbhusted to DonLibes

to DonLibes

Re: lobby the governor

I've already emailed and telephoned my representatives - Although all you get is the canned responses. If I get a chance I'll actually visit the office of my State Rep.

Voyager2K2
join:2001-10-04
Wayne, PA

Voyager2K2

Protecting Mom and Pop Telcos

I'm not so sure Verizon is the main focus of this bill.
They are not the only Telco in PA.
D&E Communications (formally Connestoga Telephone)has a VERY profitable niche in PA and PA's legislature has always been protective of them.
Granted Verizon gets a windfall with insane interLATA LD rates but those rates also apply to those small pockets where D&E is the RLEC. (currently at least $.25/minute for calls from another LATA)
This was a real cash cow for Connestoga Telephone.
DSL service from Connestoga was not available to most Connestoga subscribers and it was expensive and poorly staffed.

Pennsylvania is a real dichotomy.
The state consists of two major urban centers while the rest of the state is mostly rural.
Most of the time the legislature votes against bills that favor Pitts. and Phila.
It was extremely rare to have a former Phila mayor elected as Governor.
The majority of the state's voters are always wary of "big city" politics.

On the other hand I have confidence the Fast Eddie (AKA Gov. Rendell) will veto this bill if he feels that Wi-Fi would benefit the City of Philadelphia.
As former DA and Mayor of Philadelphia I really feel Fast Eddie's heart still belongs to the City.
However PA does not have the funds to finance the deal nor does the city as evidenced by the recent round of nuisance taxes levied on PA's automobile owners to keep public transportation afloat in The Greater Philadelphia Area.
As already mentioned the vast majority of PA residents are not happy paying those kind of "municipal welfare" taxes.

I know I am getting a little boring stating this but Philadelphia does not have the funds for this project nor will they at have any time in the near future so this discussion may be moot.
griff1013
join:2002-01-10
Virginia Beach, VA

griff1013 to draven

to draven

The need to change to signs on the roads coming into PA to say:

Welcome to Pennsylvania - owned and operated by Verizon.

PA will give Verizon ANYTHING that it wants. Verizon keeps telling everyone in PA that they are going to move the corporate headquarters to New Jersey. Rumors are that A&T would vacate there huge campus in northern NJ and sell it to VZ because they certainly don't need all that space anymore.

asdfdfdf
@xtraport.net

asdfdfdf

Anon

... I think this is being misread

I think this is bad law, but I don't read it as saying verizon has to approve city activity.

I think the reference is to this:
"2) A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION MAY OFFER ADVANCED OR BROADBAND SERVICES IF THE POLITICAL SUBDIVISION HAS SUBMITTED A WRITTEN REQUEST FOR THE DEPLOYMENT OF SUCH SERVICE TO THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY SERVING THE AREA AND, WITHIN TWO MONTHS OF RECEIPT OF THE REQUEST, THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OR ONE OF ITS AFFILIATES HAS NOT AGREED TO PROVIDE THE DATA SPEEDS REQUESTED. IF THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OR ONE OF ITS AFFILIATES AGREES TO PROVIDE THE DATA SPEEDS REQUESTED, THEN IT MUST DO SO WITHIN 14 MONTHS OF RECEIPT OF THE REQUEST."

This is not a requirement to get ilec approval, rather it is a requirement to allow the incumbent the opportunity to provide demanded services before municipalities can provide service themselves. If the service can not be provided, by the ilec, within the time frame above, then a municipality can move ahead and proved the service.
Of course this is a restriction that the incumbent is going to play with to stall any municipal development, but it isn't the same thing as saying that the government has to get ilec approval before it can act.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to ke4pym

to ke4pym

Re: I wonder

said by ke4pym:

How much more of this it is going to take to get people to vote these legislators out of office....
alot more $$$ than the current lobbyist are paying to buy those votes

Octopussy2
Premium Member
join:2003-03-30
Batavia, IL

Octopussy2 to asdfdfdf

Premium Member

to asdfdfdf

Re: ... I think this is being misread

I see what you are saying...but I think this should still be vetoed. For a muni to be denied a right to provide any service at any time without first "requesting permission" from the ILEC just seems ridiculous. If folks in a town want services provided by their municipality why does only the ILEC get to provide those services? This is a very bad law and it shouldn't have even gotten this far. What a bunch of idiots in that Legislature.
telarium
join:2004-02-28
Saint Louis, MO

telarium

Good....

I'm moving out of this state.

Brad

Esme Vos
@speed.planet.nl

Esme Vos to asdfdfdf

Anon

to asdfdfdf

City must talk to Verizon before it can act

The city cannot build it without first asking Verizon (that amounts to asking permission). Verizion can say yes, go ahead build your network we don't care, or no we're going to do it but in 14 months. Within that 14 month period they can ask for a 12 month extension. 26 months to wait for a network is a pretty long period of time.
ossito16
join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN

ossito16

real enemy

when are people going to stop yapping and protesting and take back our country from corp america. there is no enemy in iraq, the enemy is right here in our own backyard

TechSponge
join:2001-05-14
Hillside, NJ

TechSponge

CRIMINALS

United States of Venison

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

OMG

All I can say right now, is OMG! Things like this could really get out of hand.

DrTCP
Yours truly

join:1999-11-09
Round Rock, TX

DrTCP to asdfdfdf

to asdfdfdf

said by asdfdfdf:

I think this is bad law, but I don't read it as saying verizon has to approve city activity.

I think the reference is to this:
"2) A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION MAY OFFER ADVANCED OR BROADBAND SERVICES IF THE POLITICAL SUBDIVISION HAS SUBMITTED A WRITTEN REQUEST FOR THE DEPLOYMENT OF SUCH SERVICE TO THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY SERVING THE AREA AND, WITHIN TWO MONTHS OF RECEIPT OF THE REQUEST, THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OR ONE OF ITS AFFILIATES HAS NOT AGREED TO PROVIDE THE DATA SPEEDS REQUESTED. IF THE LOCAL EXCHANGE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OR ONE OF ITS AFFILIATES AGREES TO PROVIDE THE DATA SPEEDS REQUESTED, THEN IT MUST DO SO WITHIN 14 MONTHS OF RECEIPT OF THE REQUEST."

This is not a requirement to get ilec approval, rather it is a requirement to allow the incumbent the opportunity to provide demanded services before municipalities can provide service themselves. If the service can not be provided, by the ilec, within the time frame above, then a municipality can move ahead and proved the service.
What is holding the imcumbent ILEC to provide the service at inflated prices and with so many strings attached to be useful? What if the city wants to provide free services. Will the ILEC agree to that? I do not think so. This is another example of politicians bought by telephone monopolies. Greed at its best!
Of course this is a restriction that the incumbent is going to play with to stall any municipal development, but it isn't the same thing as saying that the government has to get ilec approval before it can act.
It does not clearly say so but why should the governent be required even to petition the ILEC before it can do something on its own. This gives more power to a private for profit organization over elected government. If the local government thinks that ILEC will do so anyway, they would not be involved in this operation at all. This is all wrong. It is the result of politicians returning political favors. Follow the money trail of those who voted in favor of these bills.

DaDogs
Semper Vigilantis
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Deltaville, VA

DaDogs to draven

Premium Member

to draven

Microsoft;)

b1gdr3
I Blame Your Mother
join:2001-07-28
York, PA

b1gdr3

Torn...

I hate Verizon, but would still take FIOS in a nanosecond.

EnzonE
join:2000-03-23
Indiana, PA

EnzonE

I hear ya, that is once it gets here. For now I guess you can say that PA is Verizon's B*tch, bend over... again!

Octopussy2
Premium Member
join:2003-03-30
Batavia, IL

Octopussy2 to DrTCP

Premium Member

to DrTCP

Follow the money and then vote them out of office! What are these politicians thinking?! Well, obviously they are not thinking about their local municipalities. Why put local munis under the thumb of ILECs? Why should private industry have the right to tell the local govt. what to do for their residents?

Esme Vos
@speed.planet.nl

Esme Vos

Anon

What's in it for Verizon

Here's a good analysis of how the bill benefits Verizon.
»www.wetmachine.com/index ··· item/175

Can you say corporate subsidy?

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One

tapeloop to b1gdr3

Premium Member

to b1gdr3

Re: Torn...

Sure. I'll be signing up when it becomes available in 2034.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

The City Of Philly

has been threatened by the South East Pennsylvania Transit Authority (known as SEPTA) today that all Public Transportation Buses, Subways and Trolleys will halt on the weekends and there will be severe cutbacks during the work week unless they get millions of dollars from the State for operations. They also said rates will rise dramatically and Philly already has one of the most expensive to ride mass transit systems in the Country. The State has turned a deaf ear towards them.

The Governor who Ms.Neff wants us to write to was previously the Democratic Mayor of Philly and former Chairman of the DNC. Is she telling us that our Gov is trying to hurt Philly?

I say "WE DON'T NEED Wi-Fi in Philly". Fund the transit system.
ww2
join:2000-07-16
Harrisburg, PA

ww2

That's why it's the Commonwealth of PA

Our state is a Commonwealth. I don't really know what that means but I was told it's different than most of the states in the union. I guess it's common for the wealthy to rule?
page: 1 · 2 · next