dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2005-02-18 14:44:50: Earlier this week it was revealed that Vonage had complained to the FCC a service provider had been blocking their customer's VoIP service. SBC, Verizon, and Qwest were quick to tell Advanced Pipeline it wasn't them. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

CCTVTech
Premium Member
join:2003-04-23
Phoenix, AZ

CCTVTech

Premium Member

To Block Or Not To?

This is going to get interesting fast.
Will the ISP's block VoIP and face bad publicity and lawsuits or will they allow it while selling their own VoIP?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

4 edits

FFH5

Premium Member

Vonage lawyers gearing up for big drop in business

It is probably just the Vonage lawyers gearing up for big drop in business and getting all their excuses in order for all the lawsuits they plan on filing later. They know that all the cable companies and telcos are moving into the VOIP business and they probably realize they are already dead meat. This is just their way of laying some kind of legal basis to claim damages for the implosion of their company.

My Web Page
My Blog
Join Red Room Forum

spamd
Premium Member
join:2001-04-22
Cherry Valley, IL

spamd

Premium Member

Worm's ??

I'll show you my worm, right here!!!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Just one more....

...reason I would never use a 3rd party VoIP provider.

This is exactly why I pay $15 more a month for Time Warner Digital Phone, so I don't have these headaches.

brooklynstar1
Premium Member
join:2004-12-23
Naugatuck, CT

brooklynstar1

Premium Member

Gotcha Bells right here!

Gotta love free commerce!! This is a good example of the bells kicking you in yours then running for the hills.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7

Premium Member

I love this

This is the crap that makes America so great:D
shashinka9
join:2000-09-16
West Boylston, MA

1 edit

shashinka9

Scary, OOL User Informed Me Yesterday of this

I was in a class this week and an Optimum Online User said that he was forced to use OOL's VOIP Service because he had tried others and they were being blocked. He was located about 60 miles North of Manhattan.

This is awful, that would be like Verizon blocking me from calling Cingular to sign-up for cell service or calling AT&T for LD.

Makes my stomach turn.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

Its should be made illegal real fast

I cant think of any reason that this should be allowed. The whole idea of Voip was to increase competition in the industry. The FCC needs to put a stop to this real fast.
shashinka9
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9 to Matt3

to Matt3

Re: Just one more....

I see, just feed the large companies that are causing the problems.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

Didn't the FCC already say it was a small ISP

I believe they said it was a small ISP

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude

Re: Its should be made illegal real fast

No, the FCC needs to put a stop to these VoIP companies that have bad business sense, and have more horror stories then good.

Face it, Venture Capital only goes so far, and you will start seeing these independant VoIP companies start to get ate up within the next 5-8 years.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 edit

DaveDude

said by Greg_Z:

No, the FCC needs to put a stop to these VoIP companies that have bad business sense, and have more horror stories then good.

Face it, Venture Capital only goes so far, and you will start seeing these independant VoIP companies start to get ate up within the next 5-8 years.
I dont understand how that relates to network access ? Basicly there are blocking communications, solely for there benefit. Even the bells cant do that, Verizon is my provider, yet i have local and long distance from sprint.
shashinka9
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9 to HardwareGeek

to HardwareGeek

Re: Didn't the FCC already say it was a small ISP

OOL is not small.

garagerock
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Louisville, KY

garagerock to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude

Agreed. It's bad business sense to expect providers to not block ports??

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to shashinka9

to shashinka9

Re: Didn't the FCC already say it was a small ISP

I am a OOL user and a Vonage user. Cablevision isn't blocking vonage.
HardwareGeek

HardwareGeek to shashinka9

to shashinka9

Re: Scary, OOL User Informed Me Yesterday of this

He probably didn't set it up correctly then because I am an OOL user and Vonage user for a year and a half now.
shashinka9
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9

Interesting, I will make sure I tell him about this thread then.

CCTVTech
Premium Member
join:2003-04-23
Phoenix, AZ

CCTVTech

Premium Member

Told Ya

I told ya this would get interesting.

I have been using Vonage for serveral months and not had any problems at all, now if I started having trouble and it was proven to be Qwest blocking my VoIP service there would be he** to pay.

Engineer88
join:2000-12-01
Smithtown, NY

Engineer88 to shashinka9

to shashinka9

Ask him to IM me. OOL does not intentionally block any outside VOIP service, and I've never heard of any OOL customer having a problem like that.
cptmiles2
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Swayzee, IN

2 recommendations

cptmiles2

Premium Member

QoS

The FCC has not set a Quality of Service Standard on VOIP. If the FCC did set a standard and forced the VOIP companies to pay the Bells, Time Warners and Comcasts of the world to interconnect and prioritize VOIP packets, pricing of VOIP companies will go right to the same level as TDM, which, by the way, has FCC QoS standards. Why should the Bells and the Cable companies who have spent real dollars to build extensive networks let someone else use their lines to make money on a product they can do themselves? The only way that will work is if the government took over all communication companies and forced open standards (ain't gonna happen). I say enjoy the cheap VOIP products while you have them, they are soon to go by the way of the pet rock and leg warmers.

ColdFiltered
join:2005-01-25
Atlanta, GA

ColdFiltered to DaveDude

to DaveDude

Network providers have every right to block ports unregistered ports where they see a threat to the operation of their switches and routers. If someone devises a port that is also common to a VoIP platform its SOL VoIP.

pcscdma
hi
Premium Member
join:2004-01-14
Winterset, IA
ARRIS SB8200
Nest H2D

pcscdma to shashinka9

Premium Member

to shashinka9

Actually Vonage is the one causing the problems. They are the ones who are crying because their service sucks. They are probably dumb enough to blame Time Warner because their 911 'service' doesn't work. And the mass media is dumb enough to fall for this crap.

BTW: Everytime you see an article in the paper about someone getting injured, killed etc. because VoIP doesn't work it is because the Bells paid them to do so in their FUD campaign. It's all a conspiracy.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5

Re: Vonage lawyers gearing up for big drop in busi

said by FFH5:

It is probably just the Vonage lawyers gearing up for big drop in business and getting all their excuses in order for all the lawsuits they plan on filing later. They know that all the cable companies and telcos are moving into the VOIP business and they probably realize they are already dead meat. This is just their way of laying some kind of legal basis to claim damages for the implosion of their company.
What implosion? Vonage (and likely et al) offer a better product at a lesser price (at least compaired to Verizon's VoiceWing VoIP. With the 500 minute plan it's nearly 1/2 the cost. The unlimited plan is still cheaper, more included features, and has better rates for international long distance and free Canada long distance. The only benifit that I would get by going with my RBOC over Vonage is who I write the check to at the end of the month. For me, I'll write a 2nd check to save $120 a year.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

Has anyone..

here actually been blocked? I hear a lot of allegations and suppositions and threats but no one has come forth to say "I was blocked" by Quest, Verizon SBC,OOL, or any other.
Until then it just sounds like BS.

pcscdma
hi
Premium Member
join:2004-01-14
Winterset, IA

pcscdma to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude

Regulate the internets

said by DaveDude:

The FCC needs to put a stop to this real fast.
USF anyone?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to garagerock

MVM

to garagerock

Depends on what the port is being blocked for. If it's for security, such as blocking file and print sharing ports then it's good. If it's to enfore a policy prohibiting servers, such as web or e-mail, not great but still acceptable in my book (go get a business account you cheapskate). If it's to block IPs and or ports for a competitor of a sister company, that's wrong.
bucolo
join:2002-09-27
Philadelphia, PA

bucolo to shashinka9

to shashinka9

I hardly ever post but I felt obligated. You are wrong. It is not like verizon blocking you from calling cingular to sign up for cell service.

Verizon owns land lines, fiber, etc....

Vonage "uses" the internet to their atvantage. They have no real product.

They may have switches and other hardware, but you can bet it is housed in a Verizon office.

It was just a matter of time before "V" wins this battle.

The problem is Vonage never did their research. They chose a format, SIP, and ports that can be blocked by any isp. They have built their business on the backbone of the chance blocking doesn't occur.

Thanks

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to pcscdma

Premium Member

to pcscdma

To get "any" phone to contact the proper 911 dispatch center all that is needed by whoever is in charge of routing the call is the actual number for the area that is "911". 911 isn't magic, it has a regular phone number.

If the number that gets displayed at the dispatch center has the wrong address data attached to that phone number then yes it can be a vonage issue. Contacting 911 with you vonage phone shouldn't be a vonage issue unless someone won't give vonage the proper "real number" for "911" for an area.

Be aware that a lot of E911 dispatch centers are in private companies hands, not a public agency, so there's no telling who could be pulling their strings at times.

akristov
join:2001-01-31
Tampa, FL

akristov to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5

Rise of the Stupid Network

Please read - »www.hyperorg.com/misc/st ··· net.html

Why the Intelligent Network was once a good idea,
but isn't anymore.

BTW I did not right this but it is absolutely correct. The smart networks will bow down to the dumb network.

G_Poobah
join:2004-01-17
Schenectady, NY

G_Poobah to ColdFiltered

to ColdFiltered

An ISP blocking ANY port is asking for trouble. They asked to be a common carrier (not liable for what goes across their wires), so guess what, they have to live with the downside too. Blocking Ports is just the start of a slippery slope downward into facism, as who determines what's 'right and wrong' to block? You do? Hardly. The only think the ISP's can do is ROUTE TRAFFIC. Period. They don't judge what the traffic is, and that's the way the world is supposed to work. Start selectively blocking ports today, and tomorrow they are building virtual gas chambers for 'applications and traffic they deem threatening'. The world got rid of one horrible dictator, we don't need idiots like the previous poster building up his new '4th Reich' of ISP's that are helping us by blocking ports.
page: 1 · 2 · next