dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2005-04-28 12:41:50: Some time ago, Verizon began offering Wi-Fi to their DSL customers in Manhattan; something we had hoped would become a trend among DSL and Cable carriers. ..

Alphy
join:2001-12-31
Troy, MI

Alphy

Hm

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch.

Alright I'm done.

JeedaiKnight
0verthinking
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Portland, OR

JeedaiKnight

Premium Member

They never learn...

Companies never get it. They have a great thing going, then they decide "hey, let's charge through the nose for it! That way, people will love hate us!" Why can't they keep it where it is? It's probably getting much more revenue from pulling in cable customers to dsl...

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Once Verizon does this, you will see all NYC-area cable company profits go through the roof! I'll bet that OOL, Time Warner and whoever else offers cable up there will be toasting Verizon's stupidity for many years to come! Just like Comcast shareholders have been doing now for quite some time LOL.
Xorro
join:2003-05-26
Upland, CA

1 recommendation

Xorro to JeedaiKnight

to JeedaiKnight

Re: They never learn...

HI ! I'm VZ, watch me step on my pud.

Sheesh, Careful Verizon...your greed is showing.

jibaro5
join:2004-03-13
Bronx, NY

jibaro5

I was in manhattan this morning surfing on verizon

I was in manhattan this morning surfing on verizon hot spot. I just entered my user id and password for verizon dsl home account and i was surfing on my dell axim x50v while i was waiting for my wife at a job interview. I was on the corner of Broadway and 30th street. This new news sucks if true.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller

Based on Verizons last profit statement

people don't care and verizon doesn't care that its hated.

They are making money, they are back to the 'fuck you' part of their business model.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by inteller:

people don't care and verizon doesn't care that its hated.

They are making money, they are back to the 'fuck you' part of their business model.
No business cares if they are hated so long as it makes money. But the only way a business can make money is by offering services that customers will purchase. How many Verizon DSL users in NYC are subscribers because of these hot spots? How many will switch if they stop the service?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to JeedaiKnight

Premium Member

to JeedaiKnight

Re: They never learn...

NYC, especially manhattan, has a lot of open hot spots.... I doubt anyone but a real poweruser would want to fork out $80 a month for what they plan to offer on ev-do. I'd only go for it if nothing else was available for high speed.
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras

New Verizon Slogan...

maybe they can buy out zeta-jones' contract and hire pauly shore instead and have him quip at the end of every commercial, "Verizon... Get Less... buddy, dude, freshyyyyy!!!"

TNLNYC
@63.95.x.x

TNLNYC

Anon

Well, I guess the cable deals now look better

I'm one of the people who stayed with Verizon because of the free hotspots. Guess I can now feel better when I switch to a cable provider with 2-3 times to speed of the Verizon offering (Cable in Manhattan is about twice to three times as fast as Verizon DSL). I guess I have to find a cheap WiFi provider for when I use the laptop though....
TNLNYC

TNLNYC to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102

Re: Based on Verizons last profit statement

make that one *raising hand* Anyone else wants to stand up and be counted?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to TNLNYC

MVM

to TNLNYC

Re: Well, I guess the cable deals now look better

said by TNLNYC:

I'm one of the people who stayed with Verizon because of the free hotspots. Guess I can now feel better when I switch to a cable provider with 2-3 times to speed of the Verizon offering (Cable in Manhattan is about twice to three times as fast as Verizon DSL). I guess I have to find a cheap WiFi provider for when I use the laptop though....
»www.wififreespot.com/ny.html
bac522
join:2003-08-04
Manchester, NH

bac522

Comes down to ROI

Verizon could care less about the customer. They paid big bucks for the frequency EV-DO rides in and they need to justify that expense to their investors. Screwing the customer is not a concern of Verizon.
justDave
join:2000-02-29
Brooklyn, NY

justDave

said by bac522:

Verizon could care less about the customer...
They may not care about you, but look at the nice letter they sent me within minutes after I cancelled my Verizon DSL this morning.
We received notification that your Verizon Online DSL Service has been discontinued for DSL telephone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. We're sorry to see you go and hope you will reconsider. We are so eager to have you back that we will hold your current e-mail address and your User ID for you for 30 days from the date of the message. That way, coming back is easy!
I guess it depends who you are

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through
join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA

needforspeed59 to Methadras

to Methadras

Re: New Verizon Slogan...

said by Methadras:

maybe they can buy out zeta-jones' contract and hire pauly shore instead and have him quip at the end of every commercial, "Verizon... Get Less... buddy, dude, freshyyyyy!!!"
Zeta-Jones pitches for T-Mobile. I love it how she says,"Get more." I wish!

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

I don't care

It was nice to see Verizon HotSpots for DSL subscribers. But I don't really care if they pull the plug. Just because I don't go to the places where VZ offers their hot spots and anyway there is lots of "free" AP all around the city. But their hi-speed cellular push is a bad idea. Unless they do something like T-Mobile International (like in Poland, Germany, UK) is doing. Sell PC cards that utilize from wifi to gprs in order to provide highest connection.

boundtohappen
@ny325.fios.verizon.n

boundtohappen to Alphy

Anon

to Alphy

Re: Hm

Why give it away, when you can sell it at a profit! That's making progress everyday... besides, if you go into any residential neighborhood or business district, you will find dozens of wifi access WIDEOPEN! Thank you everybody for the FREE wifi.. who ever said broadband customers were not generous to strangers, I get an mp3 every other day via PDA

dcsos
@c3-0.avec-ubr14.nyr-

dcsos

Anon

Customet Service Verizon could care less

QUOTE:
We received notification that your Verizon Online DSL Service has been discontinued for DSL telephone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. We're sorry to see you go and hope you will reconsider. We are so eager to have you back that we will hold your current e-mail address and your User ID for you for 30 days from the date of the message. That way, coming back is easy

This is caring about the customer?..any ISP worth their salt would at leat offer you a free month to return. They have offered you nothing more than what you've already got...
as by bac522 said:
Verizon could care less about the customer...
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras to needforspeed59

to needforspeed59

Re: New Verizon Slogan...

oh yeah, that's right... not that i could tell the difference either way though... hey, maybe verizon can hire pauly shore afterall...
said by needforspeed59:

said by Methadras:

Zeta-Jones pitches for T-Mobile. I love it how she says,"Get more." I wish!

BourneKilla
join:2005-04-12

BourneKilla

Does any super large company care?

People that care indirectly...(meaning they look at a customer as a dollar amount)
- Investors/Board Members

People who dont care...
- $8 per hr tech support
- Pretty much everyone else as long as they get their paycheck.