dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2005-05-24 09:00:18: As users move toward VoIP or cell only, many are looking for DSL service without local service (naked DSL) and are finding it isn't offered, notes the Houston Chronicle. ..

prev · 1 · 2

DSLTech5
join:2000-12-30
San Jose, CA

DSLTech5

who cares what people want?

the naked DSL option is not even geared towards people, but towards businesses that compete for the right to provide their own services along with the "naked" dsl from SBC.

someone needs to tell SBC that their survey is totally pointless. sure nobody really wants naked DSL. I dont really want it myself. but, if it is not available to competitors to offer included in their bundle, then the competitors will most likely be limited in what they can offer, and be forced to order extra items from SBC that they don't need.

sbc wants to eliminate any requirement on their part to play fairly with their competitors. by claiming that "few want naked dsl" is as silly as, for example, an electronic store stating that "few want just a TV" and thereby never again selling a tv without a dvd player as a forced inclusion.

hey, people want to get their tv in one place and their dvd in another place, no? so in that respect, yes, people DO want naked dsl, they just dont know wtf it means.

i tell ya, these ILECs are worse than microsoft could ever be.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

Monopoly

This is how SBC (and others) prevent competition. For several of my clients who switched from AOL Broadband to SBC Yahoo DSL they had to go through a lot of hoops and waiting. SBC is unwilling to relinquish DSL to anybody, but when told about anti-trust and Monopoly laws they give in. I've had to type up formal letters on behalf of my clients before because of this.
cuindy
join:2000-07-21
Aurora, OH

cuindy

How would they know if they offered.

How can they know if they never offered it aa a product ?
How can you effectively cage demand if you have no real way to tell what people want. I have ask SBC for Naked or CLEC DSL over the last 5 years and never got SBC to allow it.
I ask SBC for DSL on a CLEC line 5 years ago and the SBC Rep had the nerve to stated that "it was the FCC fault and that the FCC refused to allow them to do it".
I had a @Link as a standalone DSL when they when out of biz, SBC said no to DSL from them without an SBC line fro my Biz, and Qwest just started offering Biz DSL in my area.
I ordered DSL and from Qwest and SBC told Qwest that there were no free pairs to provide my Business with DSL service.
I told the Qwest rep I knew of an open currently dead pair from @Link and that I had a letter from @Link releasing their claim on the pairs. It took 2 months but, I finally got service.

Gee, I like it when one Baby Bell B*llSh*ts another Baby Bell.

lettcco
join:2003-12-04
Valencia, CA

lettcco

SBC: going beyond the call?

more like stuck behind the call. if you gonna go "beyond the call", let us drop the POTS already!
JoshCloud9
join:2001-08-25
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

JoshCloud9

Cell Phone/long distance/TV/Internet = $102

I would much prefer naked DSL to cable Internet, then I could have Dish TV which is actually worth watching - So I am told!

My current Cell Phone/long distance/TV/Internet totals:

$57 Comcast HSI and 80 odd TV channels
(nice to have but rarely watched)

$40 Sprint PCS 750 anytime nationwide minutes, Unlimited other mins

I pay an additional $5 for International calling

Total: $102

This is the cheapest I can get.
Naked DSL would be far more expensive when TV channels are taken in to consideration.

Edit: Oops this was supposed to be a response to an existing thread!
inzomniaq
join:2003-01-12
Houston, TX

inzomniaq

"Almost Naked" DSL?

I disconnected my DSL and voice line service at the end of June 2005 and ditched SBC for a month even though service was very reliable for me here to try out TW-Road Runner since I could get a "naked" broadband connection through TW.

I had what I thought was the cheapest phone plan available through SBC. I had made the mistake of calling SBC and dealing with a phone representative instead of signing up for service online. The phone rep. told me SBC's cheapest plan was their unlimited local calling only for about $20/month. He kept trying to upsell me with features that I would never use even after I told him repeatedly that I'll only be using this line for a DSL connection.

Because of frequent TW Road Runner outages in the Houston area during late-July/early-August, I figured I would need to bite the bullet and go back to SBC even though I would pay for a phone line that I would rarely, if ever, use since I already have a cell phone.

The phone sales staff at SBC never told me the first time I signed up for phone service at this location that I could get a "measured rate" line for about $5.00 a month that would allow me up to 25 local-only, within LATA, calls, along with the required emergency, 911 service. Calls would be $0.08 a piece after 25 calls. If I wanted long distance, I could still use calling cards on my land line or use my cell phone for continental US calls.

If you sign up for phone service on the web at SBC's web site, you don't have to deal with pushy sales staff and you have more flexibility as to what services/frills you do/don't want to be billed for.

Apparently, this line/plan qualified for both the SBC Basic and SBC Pro DSL packages. So I went ahead and placed the order for the measured-rate phone plan and the SBC Basic DSL package.

Phone service was activated this Friday (12 August.) DSL service was working the next day, although it was not to be activated until 16 August.

So I'll be paying $5.20/month for land-line limited use service and $14.95/month for DSL for a year plus whatever amount in taxes (probably for a total of $30/month.)

You may want to see if your local provider can offer an emergency only or limited used, measured rate type of line. In many cases, you don't need to meet certain income requirements. Then see if you can get a DSL plan on this line.
prev · 1 · 2