spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2005-07-21 15:06:36: The question of whether or not broadband qualifies as a utility, luxury, or even right - pops up every month or so, and our readership is pretty evenly split on the subject. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Anubis Prime

join:2001-06-01
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Brownbay

Re: A Right!

Notice how EVERYTHING is becoming a "right". When something becomes a right, it then over-involves the gob'ment (cheese et.al).

I lobby that HBO,Showtime,Starz should be looked at as things that are mandatory for survival.

Do we have the right to an automobile? Housing isn't, healthcare isn't. When those things ARE considered rights by some, we get government disasters such as HUD, welfare and Medicare. Because we LIKE something doesn't mean we are entitled to it at taxpayer expense.

If one has a computer, and gives up smoking, drinking, the lottery and mullet haircuts then there may be some extra pocketchange left to pay up for broadband like the rest of us.

ohyeah504

join:2005-02-21
Richardson, TX
reply to Dagda1175

Re: get govt out

utility

BourneKilla

join:2005-04-12

Broadband with VOIP

There are a few million subscribers to VOIP phone services already. As it becomes more available via broadband this could change the tide of this argument. WiFi phones are now becoming a reality as well... for now I agree with fiberguy.. its an option.

carlinniss

join:2003-05-12

1 recommendation

reply to charlie hp

So I suppose no one has ever gotten themselves out of a situation by hard work and knowledge?

The internet gives people a chance to even the playing field and get information only people with a decent amount of money have. It is possible for the burger flipper using the Internet as a tool to get a better job, or learn a skill. I used to pack boxes, and now I am a developer for a very lucrative SEO firm. I learned myself using the Internet.

So before you spout off about liberals, I am proof it does happen. I don't appreciate your comment.

As far as broadband, I do believe currently it is a luxury, but I do think people should try to make it as widespread as the telephone. It would advance things quicker as a society if we all accepted the Internet as part of our daily lives.
I know for me it's a utility, I need it and it's absolutely critical to my daily routine.

l33t
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to ronob

Re: Luxury/Utility

said by ronob:

Actually many farmers use, need, want broadband in order to have information necessary for them to survive.
Weather and market for example.
Dial-up?
--
My opinionGeorge Bush Bush > John Kerry > Ralph NaderVisit Kerry's website!»www.kerry-04.org

DaDogs
Semper Vigilantis
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Deltaville, VA

4 edits

Broadband is a gift from God...

Broadband is a luxury, I think. Soon to be a utility.

--
I think we need severed heads on American's poarches to get American's to stop treating the war in Iraq like an Excel spread sheet? What about you?
»25,000 Iraqi civilians have died

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to JTRockville

Re: Utility

A right? You pay for it and you have the right to use it. Unlike a utility, however, where it's place in the internet has now become obligatory. Functionality such as VoIP, gaming, video, music, to name a few would not exist as we know it today. Broadband Internet is the communications media of the future. It has become a required service similar to electric and gas service.

Gandalf1315
Freelance Philosopher

join:2001-05-23
Indianapolis, IN

Please people.....

Anything other than food, water and shelter is a luxury. When the oil is all gone and we still have not develpoed an alternative energy source people are going to get a real wake up call on what is a luxury and what is not.
--
No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session.--- Benjamin Franklin

NightLinks
Premium
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY
reply to ylen131

said by ylen131:

luxury, person can survive with out it
I see it like cable and TV a TV is nothing without CABLE and PC's are nothing without The INTERNET!
--
The House of NOOBS!

ronob
I'M Fixin It

join:1999-10-18
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to l33t

Do you eat?
Farming is competitive industry, for them to survive and keep prices that the rest of us can pay, they need access too.

»www.google.com/search?sourceid=n···roadband
a little info
--
I've been to the end of the internet!

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK
reply to N3OGH

Re: Luxury

While your points are very valid, I would still have to say its a utility. there are many people who need internet access, especially broadband, to conduct thier lives. I do all my banking online because I dont get off work untill the banks are closed, the store I work for recently told us that they wont give us pay stubs anymore, we have to go online and see them, etc. I know I COULD still do those things on dial up, but, that would tie up the phone line, and the cost of two lines and a dial up ISP is about the same as one broadband account. Also, since we dont have call waiting, (its like an extra $10 package for call waiting/caller ID and stuff), when I did have dial up, I couldnt stay one long enough to do anything useful because I didnt want to miss a phone call.

I see points on both sides, but for me, and many others I'm sure, it would seriously hamper our ability to conduct our dialy lives without it.
--
"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson." - Bart Simpson

broadband guru

@205.241.x.x
reply to SRFireside

You can also argue that a house is a luxury if you use the thought process that you currently are using. We have 10,000 homeless people in my city. Just because you can live with out something doesn't charictorize it as a luxury. Everything materalistic thing you posess would be a luxury with that arguement. A luxury would be something that you can do with-out, but get your goal completed. So a internet connection might be a luxury for somepeople, but those who are using mission critical applications, it is anything but a luxury.

Boogeyman
Premium
Seward, AK
reply to broadbanderexpanderc

Re: utility, need and more

Why not join? I mean, your posts appear to be thought out and intelligent, and joining is free. You also get some perks after you've been a member a while.
--
"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogeyman or Michael Jackson." - Bart Simpson

oliphant
I Have 8 Boobies
Premium
join:2004-11-26
Corona, CA

Luxury...

Life will go one just fine on dial up.

Boogeyman
Premium
Seward, AK
reply to AreSee

Re: most people do not need it

I couldnt take the bus, it only runs from 8am till 9pm here, and I usually have to be to work by 6am, and the last bus to leave the store I work at doesnt go anywhere near my house, or even the town I live in. Good analogy for some major cities though, it just doesnt apply everywhere.
--

broadband guru

@205.241.x.x
reply to MIABye

pepole can survive with out anything but air, food and water. Look on your streets at the homeless people, think of the natives back when they didn't have anything. Think before you post. Back up what you say. just because you can live with out it doesn't charictorize it as a luxury.

the dozer
Premium
join:2004-04-12
Douglasville, GA
reply to Brownbay

A Luxury!!!

It is definitely a luxury. Just like the telephone, cellphone
in it's early stages, not everyone had one or could afford
one. It's not a necessity to have it. It is NOT a right,
unless you have the means to have it.

Yakup

join:2000-10-12
Folsom, CA
reply to Brownbay

I believe we can live without electricity, phone, or even driving just like without internet.

However today so many businesses rely on internet for their existance I think internet is just like electricity.
--
DUDE WHERE IS MY WINGS

cobo6

join:2002-02-18
Willingboro, NJ

continue topic

I am for anything thats lower the price of cable and have to make them share their lines just like DSL.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Broadband is a Luxury.

It is a Luxury, just like Telephone, CATV, Cellphones, and Computers. A person is not going to die without them.
--
One man's customer loyalty is another man's misguided arrogance.

Phil BK
Premium
join:2002-05-18
Brooklyn, NY

Different interpretations

Broadband itself, as in access to the internet is a utility. Same as water, phone, electricity, gas. The "high speed" argument is irrelevant since it is totally subjective.

Need is not an issue. Humans don't "need" any of the utilities we have. Even the word utility has nothing to do with need. Look it up.

Access to public information is a right. But as long as there are other ways to get to it (a library) you can't lump internet access in there.

From a business stand point. There is almost no way that a business that doesn't have broadband can say they are on the same ground as one that does have it. Even if you're talking about a Pizza shop or a Shoe shine stand. Fast access to information, as well as the services available are a complete necessity for any business.
--
If at first you don't succeed...bug them till you get what you want.

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
kudos:1
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

What "depends" on the internet? Not flaming, just want to hear what you say depends on the internet?
My job requires the use of the internet for all my personnel issues, 401K, pay, etc. Those have all been centralized in one area. While there are phones for overseas people and those at places without connections, it is not the easiest way to go.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2004-05-07
reply to broadband guru

Why don't we just call it a PITA and leave it at that?

LoneGreyWolf
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Winter Haven, FL
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to l33t

said by l33t:

said by ronob:

Actually many farmers use, need, want broadband in order to have information necessary for them to survive.
Dial-up?
Yes, there is dial-up, but what some people seem to forget is that many many websites are geared towards broadband connections. It's taking longer and longer to browse the internet with a dial-up connection and forget about trying to access college databases. Trying to do English 1010 essays last year was real fun. Had deadlines for drafts and on several occasions I had to ask the professor for extensions because I was unable to hit the databases I was restricted to. Dial-up will be around for a while, but the market is acting like it's been gone for a few years.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Infrastucture is a utility, Service is a luxury

Broadband should be considered a utility for 1 reason; barrier of entry. Look at anything that is currently a utility and you will find there is generally one player in town, sometimes 2, and if you are really lucky 3. Sometimes they may even share infrastructure. It is like this simply because you generally can't have 10 electric companies, 10 phone companies, 10 sewer companies, 10 water companies and so on. Economics of the industries, whether it be money or simply the lands ability to support such a thing just isnt there. I predict (hope) broadband will be the same some day for that very reason and the providers of the bandwidth will be completely independent of service providers.

With that in mind I don't in any way shape or form believe it should be subsidized. I fully support the "broadband utility company" fully wiring every home and business. However, being that it is a luxury item and always will be regardless of how much some of you try to say it is soooo important to life it doesnt get turned on if you can't pay the bill. Broadband simply is not and never will be "needed to survive" regardless of how better off you may or may not be with it. Beyond food, water, and air EVERYTHING else is a luxury. One only has to look at nature itself and see how any other animal of this earth lives to know that.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Yakup

said by Yakup:

I believe we can live without electricity, phone, or even driving just like without internet.

However today so many businesses rely on internet for their existance I think internet is just like electricity.
There is a flaw with your thinking though. Tell those 12 people that died recently in this heatwave in AZ. It's a necessity to keep water pumping, toilets flushing, fridges working to keep food fresh, I can keep going. But electricty is definetly a necessity.

Phone? Yea.. but still, it's considered a lifeline for emergency purposes. You can purchase a cell phone today and use it for 911 service at no charge. SOme states require that disconnected phones stay active for 911 only use if requested and especially during non-pay temporary disconnect. So phones can go either way.

In this post, I think the general topic is about residential broadband, not business class service either.

Also, to a previous post above, it was mentioned that work relies on internet services for 401K and other services. I do believe that if companies consolodate federally required data and information on a company intranet only delivery system that they must give access at the work place for those with out computers. Or, they have to make it available in another form.

So still, I haven't heard a convincing argument on how the internet is a necessity.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to ronob

said by ronob:

My family is one of Northern California's largest farming families. For years we have done without the internet and to this day still do.

Weather reports? The morning news paper and the 5 o'clock news still works just fine. Market? I can see that being a good example, however, there are still trade news media that still serves this purpose. For my family, most of the crop is already sold before it's planted.

The need for instant access to information for many farmers is still not that important. I am not saying that it can help farmers and I am sure some farmers have certain reasons for internet access, but I still don't think farming will stop without broadband access.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to broadbanderexpanderc

Re: utility, need and more

You are being oppressed. I AM the oppressor.

Obey or perish!!!!:)

lol

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to Cod

Re: Luxury

said by Cod:

Maybe in ten years when certain things become a necessity like online voting, strictly online banking, etc become the norm, then maybe it will become a right. But even then, most of that stuff can still be performed by dialup.
I am not going to flame you on your opinion, however, all those things that you just mentioned can be handled in other ways. Also, you can go to the public library and use the computers there.

Additionally, I'd rather see healtcare a "right" before broadband internet. If business wants to move the public to the internet, then business should be penalized by levees or taxes to help advance broadband deployment.

I dunno, my 75 year old grandmother, on a fixed income has to pay $10 more to purchase an airline ticket by telephone simply because she doesn't have a computer, understand them, or in general can't afford internet broadband at%55.00 a month.

I think priorities are not in line yet.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to carlinniss

said by carlinniss:

I learned myself using the Internet.

Is this proper English?