dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2005-07-27 16:22:45: As we've mentioned, what the media insists on calling a "broadband price war" is actually a rather one sided affair, with DSL providers offering introductory deals under $20, while cable raises speeds (and prices). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Well,

Like anyone shopping for a car would be to check consumerreports, or check auto websites like MSN and yahoo or even JD powers.

For broadband, it seems broadbandreports.com seems to give the best info for me and many others..

Keep in mind this is comparing his apples to apples.

HarryTorres
Harry Torres
Premium Member
join:2001-11-21
Easton, PA

HarryTorres

Premium Member

Re: Well,

I could have easily purchased a 2004 Hyundai for 10K, but purchased a 1999 Volkswagen for that price instead...

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE to David

Premium Member

to David
More like DSL: Yugo, Cable: BMW

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

2 recommendations

djrobx

Premium Member

I dunno, from my experiences with both it's more like

DSL = Honda, Cable = BMW

Honda's aren't necessarily the fastest things on the road but they're economical, dependable and consistent. Most people don't need to drive over 80mph anyway, so lots of people aren't really concerned about having a big engine. They enjoy seeing the savings at the pump.

BMWs while flashy and potentially very fast depending on which model you get, great reliability and economy isn't really what BMW is known for.

Out on the road, you find lots of people driving both types of cars. There's nothing really wrong with one or the other. They're just different.

classing
@dsl.wotnoh.ameritech

classing

Anon

BRAVO!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Really though, the difference is minimal...

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to djrobx

MVM

to djrobx
You forgot to add that when the Honda passes the BMW, the owner looks over, is envious of the 45-way adjustable dual heat plus vibrate leather seats...until he remembers that he paid 1/3 the price for essentially the same thing, transportation.
shashinka9
join:2000-09-16
West Boylston, MA

shashinka9 to BIGMIKE

to BIGMIKE

I have had both and thru many providers

Personally I think DSL is better. I have had Covad, Verizon, Conversent, Speakeasy, Charter, Comcast, Concentric/XO. It all depends oh how far away you are of course but 3M/768k from Verizon ($30-$40) at 10k ft compared to 3m/256k (lucky if you get 2.5) charter ($43-$50?). I would rather have Verizon, me need upload not more download!
bubfr01
join:2002-01-20
Columbia, MD

bubfr01 to David

to David
I may have paid for a BMW, but with Comcasts terrible service and even worse customer support, I'm getting a Ford Pinto.
taar
join:2000-11-21

taar to David

to David
Was he referring to the new Hyundais or the old ones?? Not sure if he knows but the Koreans are now building the shit out of these recent Hyundais. They are certainly more reliable than BMWs these days........
donaldk
Premium Member
join:2000-10-19
Halifax, NS

donaldk to David

Premium Member

to David
tbaytel DSL: Lada, Shawcable: M1A1 tank (it doesn't stop)

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

1 edit

wings10 to David

Premium Member

to David
You have a choice what car to buy. Most don't have a choice for HSI. Comcast knows this and over charges people for their service. That's why I dropped Cable TV for DISH. When DSL comes in my area I will drop Comcast HSI faster then a hot potato!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

4 edits

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Is cable that much better than DSL ?

Is cable that much better than DSL ? That all depends on the customer and their preferences and needs. As long as Comcast continues to add more customers than it loses, I guess Roberts is right - why drop prices. That would be stupid and would make the stockholders unhappy. After all, Comcast is in business to make money - not make the people who write news articles or conduct polls happy.
Comcast, he said, and other MSOs are on track to report 10% and above revenue growth this year, while big telcos like SBC Communications Inc., wrestle with 1% revenue growth in a quarter.
My Web Page
Join Red Room Forum

icp1
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Saint Louis, MO

icp1

Premium Member

Re: Is cable that much better than DSL ?

said by FFH5:

Is cable that much better than DSL ?
Ptth, overall no, neither seems clearly "better". In some instances yes far better, in others no far worse. It's always your milage may vary depending on your needs and what your local setup looks like.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Is cable that much better than DSL ? That all depends on the customer and their preferences and needs. As long as Comcast continues to add more customers than it loses, I guess Roberts is right - why drop prices. That would be stupid and would make the stockholders unhappy. After all, Comcast is in business to make money - not make the people who write news articles or conduct polls happy.

My Web Page
Join Red Room Forum
Well, your right. It is all about each persons preferences. I prefer my 8mb line while others are happy with 3.0 or even 1.5 dsl for price reasons. ( or even better latency. I hear that a lot.)

Some people want speed, some others want better prices.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

said by djdanska:

Well, your right. It is all about each persons preferences. I prefer my 8mb line while others are happy with 3.0 or even 1.5 dsl for price reasons. ( or even better latency. I hear that a lot.)
Some people want speed, some others want better prices.

You got 2 out of the three 3 reasons. Excellent response.:)
For future reference #3 is, No Hidden Caps.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Im not worried about that. I use between 50-250Gb a month for years. Never recieved anything. The percentage of people who get letters is very small compared to the millions of people who have comcast hsi. (in my case at least.)

Having 8mb w/potential cap and no contract is better than 3.0 or 1.5 dsl w/contract for me at least.

guitarzan
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Skytop, PA

guitarzan

Premium Member

said by djdanska:

Having 8mb w/potential cap and no contract is better than 3.0 or 1.5 dsl w/contract for me at least.
DSl with a 1 year contract is just that a one year contract.Which then after said contract is a month to month basis same as cable without potential caps.When it's a smokin' fast rock solid DSL line that contract would pretty much be null and void as i believe most would keep that connection even though cable is faster.

I do believe a DSL contract can be canceled within 30 days of install more than enough time to "see what it'll do".It's sweeter deal when there's a price reduction adding more value per dollar.The issue is whether one has the option to sub to either one as compared to no option at all.

aelfwyne
join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX

aelfwyne

Not sure about other providers, but the "1 year and then you pay more" myth is just a myth in SBC Land. Sure, if you don't renew the contract, you pay more. But all you have to do is renew the contract to get the current promotional rate, which so long as I've had DSL has done nothing but go down. I've had it for 3 years and never paid the month-to-month rate.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

I have never ever had my rate increase after my contract had expired nor have I ever heard of it happening to someone.

2 times in the last year I have had my rates decreased, which of course required a new contract, but it wont be going up afterwards anyway. Besides I would imagine I will be upgrading my services and lowering my price again within the next year.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
said by djdanska:

Contract !?? We have no stinking contract here ! Where do people get this stuff !??
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
I actually have three providers.

1) Comcast Cable Internet 8/768 for desktops that do work on the internet, play games, and surf in general. This line also is where my 5 2005 Media Center PCs site for when they use the VOD services and for movie downloads. Fast speeds. $52.00 Mo

2) Qwest DSL - 1.5/896. Used for the servers for FTP, Email, Web Serving, and services like Vonage and services on the network that need static ips. This line is also used by one server in general that downloads and installs the service packs that are used by all 24 machines. Instead of each machine performing a windows update one at a time, a single server downlaods the packs and the locals install from the one server.

3) Brand X DSL - Redundant backup for other services, just because. $29.99 mo.

I think all services ahve a place and use depending on what people may use them for. I am a classic example of someone that sees uses for both services.

I like the speed of cable and will also have the top package and I like the open and free use of the DSL along with it's networking abaility and again, will always pay top dollar for top service.

But it's true when it was said "why lower the price when people are buying the service?" - They are in business to make money, not baseline profits.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

en102

Hmm - Commiecast has only 4 or 6 Mbps packages here, and 4 Mbps is $ 52/month if I'm not mistaken ... DSL Extreme is 49.95 for 6000/608 (I'm actuall ~ 500' too far for it ). 3000/512 works fine for $24.95 on DHCP (not pppoe!)

Comcast offers $19.99 for 6 months, but charges for installation.
DSL Extreme has self install, and does not charge for install, or modem rental (I use my old SBC one!)

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by en102:

Hmm - Commiecast has only 4 or 6 Mbps packages here, and 4 Mbps is $ 52/month if I'm not mistaken ... DSL Extreme is 49.95 for 6000/608 (I'm actuall ~ 500' too far for it ). 3000/512 works fine for $24.95 on DHCP (not pppoe!)

Comcast offers $19.99 for 6 months, but charges for installation.
DSL Extreme has self install, and does not charge for install, or modem rental (I use my old SBC one!)
The haven't rolled out the new packages yet. Simply put, if you have expanded cable you have 6mb standard or 8mb for gold tier.

Other customers (including broadcast basic) have 4mb 6mb and 8mb tiers.

More in the comcast forum. It's a sticky.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Uh, 4 meg is $42 and the 6 is $52. It's quite possible that some people have access to the 8mg service. YOU never know.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
just got back from a friends house in downers grove, IL.
. after modem reboot, she is getting appx 6-7mb down, 380 up. (she has full cable).

was getting appx 3.5-4mb before.
chesney09
Premium Member
join:2004-07-26
Howell, MI

chesney09

Premium Member

I think I might agree in some aspects...

..Of that thought...
Cable is faster in most cases, is easier to install and maintain, and in my experience is more stable and reliable than DSL.

All you have to do is look at the DSL forums and then the Cable Forums... DSL is always loaded with issues and people looking for help from the techs. Cable is USUALLY pretty quiet.

HOWEVER, Comcast is not one that should be calling it's self a BMW as their CS is abismal and in some areas, their service is just as bad.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

Re: I think I might agree in some aspects...

said by chesney09:

..Of that thought...
Cable is faster in most cases, is easier to install and maintain, and in my experience is more stable and reliable than DSL.

All you have to do is look at the DSL forums and then the Cable Forums... DSL is always loaded with issues and people looking for help from the techs. Cable is USUALLY pretty quiet.
Complete opposite for me. My dsl has always been rock steady at 6mbit/768kbit. Tried comcast cable this summer for $19.99 along with dsl and there were numerous outages. cable in general just feels slower response wise and I cant stand all the broadcast traffic keeping the activity light on solid. My dsl activity light rarely blinks when its not me doing something.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Re: I think I might agree in some aspects...

I will agree that DSL has a better chance of being solid since the pipe to the CO is not shared. But I hardly could give a rat's a*ss about my light blinking or not. That's just a little anal retentive if you ask me.

Pz_
join:2001-03-31
Brownsburg, IN

Pz_ to scooby

to scooby
You know, there was a time when my cable modem activity light was accurate. It was many years ago, it has since turned into a second power light.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to chesney09

Premium Member

to chesney09
I dont like the telco's but, from what i have been reading on Fois,that dsl will be like dail up soon to be to the waste side.

Here in Bellsouth lane cant get dsl or fois where i live and will NEVER GET IT. Bellsouth is toooo slow in deploying it.

On the other hand Comcast has a over load problem. I have noticed it when i play with people on Xbox live. They need to goto Docsis 2.0 or docsis 3.0 cut the node size down. Glad im on TW.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Sure..

What a joke. Comparing broadband to cars...

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca

Premium Member

I Think

I'll take the Hyundai.

•••
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Typical ignorance and arrogance

One day when the top dogs who run these companies stick their heads out of their asses and actually look and care about what consumers have to say and do something about it, then statements like that will matter.

Then again, the quality of both broadband choices is a toss up from market to market.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Re: Typical ignorance and arrogance

said by tired_runner:

One day when the top dogs who run these companies stick their heads out of their asses and actually look and care about what consumers have to say and do something about it, then statements like that will matter.
... I know.. I mean after all, just about 5-7 years ago, we were still dialing up to the internet hoping for something better with faster speeds. How dare they not listen to us and build something incredible that fast in just a short period of time.

I was just telling my other half the other day, "you know, the next time they double those speeds again without raising the prices, why, I'm going to give them a piece of my mind. I mean *who are* these people with thier heads up their asses anyway?"

[/sarcasm]

Central-CA
@comcast.net

Central-CA

Anon

Re: Typical ignorance and arrogance

Here in Central CA, we pay $60+ for 4mb and it slips well down into the 1mb range with no traffic discernible.
If they double the speed or simply claim to up it doesn't matter to me.
I would be very happy to pay what other people pay in other area's for stable connectivity.
My brother lives a couple towns away gets 3mb down 1.5 up DSL for ~$29 and it's stable imagine that.
Half the price and it works, unfortunately Cable is the only game for us, seems to me they have no impetuous to lower prices as gouging is part of the company culture.
Profits before honour should be a company moto.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp

Premium Member

Sounds about right...

BMW's are extremely overpriced and can't go over the speed limit anyway (legally), thus is the same speed as a Hyundai which is more affordable.

•••••

ET TU
Its' Only Temp
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Belvidere, NJ

ET TU

Premium Member

Sometimes

Sometimes you have to price a product so all can afford it.
Sometimes a product is overpriced or priced out of range of most consumers.Think of people who can't afford their meds or healthcare now some can't afford the gas for their cars Sometimes money isn't everything Ford said i will make a car all can afford.Sometimes profit can be put aside it can be made up at a later time! There's only so many cookies in the jar at one time. I like Becks but sometimes I have to settle for Coor's lite

oliphant
I Have 8 Boobies
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
Corona, CA

oliphant

Premium Member

Sorry Bri...

$80/mo is no deal. 30% How Dare I Not Have CATV penalties aren't a deal. 500ms latency isn't a deal. 30% increases in CATV pricing isn't a deal.

••••••
kenyg
join:2001-02-09
Hatboro, PA

1 recommendation

kenyg

Hyundai

and FIOS would be a Ferrari?

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Re: Hyundai

yes, for 50 bucks a month.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

So Brian.....

...is DSL bothering you? How about FIOS?

If DSL is a Hyundai and cable is a BMW then fiber will be a Lamborgini.

Guess you will have to think of something else to say when it costs the same and goes faster than you.
blips
join:2001-04-17
Addison, IL

blips

Re: So Brian.....

said by moonpuppy:

...is DSL bothering you? How about FIOS?

If DSL is a Hyundai and cable is a BMW then fiber will be a Lamborgini.
Actually FIOS would be a F-18 when cable is a BMW.

ET TU
Its' Only Temp
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Belvidere, NJ

ET TU

Premium Member

Brian you think

But do you listen most people who think their right are wrong broadband prices are going down speeds are going up
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING LOOK!

christos
join:2002-01-09
Bridgewater, MA

christos

Well, he can take his BMW.....

and shove it were the sun don't shine. $58 ($43 + $15 for the newsgroups he canceled last January) versus $30 for DSL with the first three months free. I just ordered me some DSL.

The last straw was when he just raised the total bill that I pay by $17. Well, he did not exactly raise it, he just canceled the discount I was getting for having all three services with comcrap. Telephone and Internet have been taken care of, cable to follow. Total savings: about $45 per month

FTCXtreme
join:2005-03-14
New Braintree, MA

FTCXtreme

LMAO

BMW is right, Overpriced, and a waste of money. My Personal opinion BMW sucks, BMW stand for Bring More Wrenches also, so that coud lExplain the outtages.

••••
ddwibb
join:2004-09-02
Holyoke, MA

ddwibb

Question?

Since I drive a Hyundai, should I switch to DSL?

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph

Premium Member

cable better?

better? faster maybe.. unless your node is overloaded... but NOT better:

dsl lets you get STATIC IPs, run servers, some will even do domains and dns for you.. cable will tereminate you account if you even hint at a server.. can't or won't offer static IPs, and don't even ask them about dns, as you'll get big question mark responses from the csr..

In all truth, DSL is better overall, just not as fast..

If I was closer to the DSLAM, I'd be back on DSL in a heartbeat..
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Re: cable better?

hmm in My area I have a choice of Charter with 3mbit/ 256k. It has crappy ping and frequently disconnects it also costs 45 bucks.
and I have VZ DSL 3mib/768k low pings, rarely disconnects and costs $30. Seems like a simple choice for my area at least.

thender2
Glamour Profession
Premium Member
join:2004-05-16
Staten Island, NY

thender2

Premium Member

Well, except..

the BMW doesn't have a monthly cap on how far you can drive it. The comcast does, thus it is trash.

cwilliams193
@cgocable.net

cwilliams193

Anon

Canada

Well I can't really speak for the entire country but where I am I have a couple options, yes 1 of them is 19.95 DSL but the speeds are absolutly terrible for 19.95 you get basically a idsn line, seriously 128kb down and suprisingly I think 64kb up. If you want decent speed (3000/500 aprox.) its 35.99 and for the top of the line (5000/1000 aprox.) it is 54.99.

On cable (which is my choice) you have choice again lite which is in the area of 256/64 for 24.99 or 29.99 cant remember regular (my choice) 5000/750 aprox. for 39.99 and ultra which i think just got bumped up to 12000/2000 approx. (if thats the case which i just read on their website my regular service will be bumpped to aprox. 6000/1000 very soon) and when these bump ups occure the price stays the same.

I have had the regular cable for 5 years now and when I started it was 49 for 1500/128 and over the last five years not only has the price dropped but speeds have more than tripled. Sure DSL speeds have increased a little in the same time but the price hasn't moved and the 19.95 version is only viable to an AOL sucker that has finaly realized they can get an always on connection thats faster for less money.

Now the 19.95 plan would probably be fine for my grandparents who can barely email but even for someone that is switching from dial-up you think that they would look at the cost vs. speed and realize that any cable package would be better.
cwilliams193

cwilliams193

Anon

Re: Canada

oh sorry I forgot to mention today I was doing some pretty serious downloading and I saw my 5000/750 advertised connection top out at 15megs, so just because you buy the 5000/750 advertised package if the pipe is clear they dont care how fast you travel.
Taget
join:2004-07-29

Taget

Neither...

I want a Ferrari aka fios!

asdjf
join:2005-01-01

asdjf

Cable NOT a BMW

I dunno how anyone can compare cable to a BMW. I pay less than the cost of cable for my DSL connection, and I end up with an upload rate that's FOUR TIMES what it would be if I was using the local cable ISP.

DSL is better for VOIP, P2P, and running a server.
It's all about the upload, baby!

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium Member
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH

Nhbass

Premium Member

Re: Cable NOT a BMW

I'll keep my 8/1 Hyundai. You can have the slower 4-6/384 BMW. Comcast broadband? Not unless I have no other choice.
ProGamer1990
join:2005-07-27
Bedford, VA

ProGamer1990

Re: Cable NOT a BMW

and i bet dial-up is a bicycle lol:)
page: 1 · 2 · next