dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-04-26 09:18:23: Slingbox owners may be beaming their home TV content anywhere, but they are paying for that content at home, aren't they? That doesn't seem to register with HBO's CTO Bob Zitter, who at a panel this week lamented the place-shifting service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

How would they know?

Ok maybe I missed something but how would HBO even know if you have a Slingbox connected and transmitting their crap?

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

qdemn7

Premium Member

Content Owners Again

Content owners think everyone is a thief. If you invite friends over to watch Subscription Anything, and THEY aren't paying for the service at their house they think that violates Copyright.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

koam to caco

Premium Member

to caco

Re: How would they know?

good question....and you can only transmit it to one machine at a time, which is hardly re-broadcasting.

BTW, I was at the SlingBox community forums and received and email from the Forum. Both contained ads for alternatives to SlingBox - one was a software program, others were hardware that all did basically what SlingBox does. Anyone else notice these ads? They really seem to be competitors that I'd never know about if I wasn't looking at the email from Sling and at their own Forums. It was like going to Amazon and seeing an ad for Barnes & Noble. Is SlingMedia in trouble?

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Windows has a media encoder for free. It's very easy to set it up to broadcast one channel, and with software you can change the channels remotely. But as an added bonus you can set it for many people to view the stream which is rebroadcasting.
Plus this lawsuit would be the same thing as suing cd-burner manufacturers because of illegal music downloads. If this lawsuit wins, anyone who makes anything that in any way can rebroadcast anything will be liable for a lawsuit. The RIAA will sue plastic cup makers and string makers for making the components needed to rebroadcast sound.

lordfly
join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

lordfly

Should we mention the free service Orb. Oh no.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to qdemn7

Premium Member

to qdemn7

Re: Content Owners Again

said by qdemn7:

Content owners think everyone is a thief. If you invite friends over to watch Subscription Anything, and THEY aren't paying for the service at their house they think that violates Copyright.
this is sadly true, rumor is bar owners cant say buy a PPV of a boxing match in the same way you could at home.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to qdemn7

Premium Member

to qdemn7
yes, and your eyeballs must also be rebroadcasting the images into your brain.

so lame. slinboxes only place shift to one place right? with 1/2 a megabit or so of upload, how great can the quality be anyway? it's not like you're getting "broadcast quality" out of it unless you have some real upload... even then, it isn't being "broadcast" anywhere if it's only to one other location.

the cat is already out of the bag with technology.
these "providers" can either sell their services online themselves, or some enterprising individuals will probably figure out how to do it themselves. where's the 'vongo' for other premium channels? Is Starz the only one to have any brains regarding this?
CSU
join:2002-10-21
Lagrange, GA

1 recommendation

CSU

Stop fighting technology!

I thought technology was supposed to make things easier and more efficient. All I ever read is how someone develops a new technology and someone else sues because of the new innovation.

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One

tapeloop

Premium Member

said by CSU:

I thought technology was supposed to make things easier and more efficient. All I ever read is how someone develops a new technology and someone else sues because of the new innovation.
Welcome to 21st century America.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

said by qdemn7:

this is sadly true, rumor is bar owners cant say buy a PPV of a boxing match in the same way you could at home.
I can understand a business not being allowed, since it would be a easy way to bring in customers, who would then be expected to purchase something.
Bars where I live stopped showing video tapes, HBO back in the early 80s for this reason. MPAA lawyers found even the smallest bar back then. The bars that gave free drinks to the local DA seemed immune though

As far as Slingbox lets hope the consumer wins.
DMWCincy
join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

DMWCincy to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by qdemn7:

Bars and sports themed resturants can buy PPV but the price is crazy. Last time the resturant I worked at during HS and college years wanted to do something like that it was too high to even consider especially since we wouldn't turn the tables over alot due to people sitting and watching the event.
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster to qdemn7

to qdemn7
True enough!

What is it with these "execs" and their infinite stupidity?

These industries could have reaped BILLIONS had they embraced the technology, instead of spending BILLIONS trying to fight it.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

Ramblings from a dinosaur

HBO? Are they still around?
jebba2005
join:2005-01-13
Portland, ME

jebba2005 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Are bar owners charged per person or something ridiculous like that? I seem to remeber when Tyson was in his prime, this was the issue for all his ppv fights.
ricep5
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Jacksonville, FL

ricep5 to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua

Re: Ramblings from a dinosaur

said by jjoshua:

HBO? Are they still around?
I haven't had a need nor desire to watch HBO in over 10 years.

It originally was a movie channel, they couldn't compete there so they moved to movies with limited sports like boxing and football commentary, they couldn't compete there, so now they move to documentaries (mostly about sex habits), can't compete there, so now its original programming (ie: Sopranos, Six Feet Under). They can't compete there because current technology trumps captive programming.

The current cash cow is the Sopranos and I know some people have 'at home' parties around the new episodes. Some simply wait for a torrent to appear. The DVD's come out within a month or two at the end of the season.

No one expects McDonald's food to stay fresh for more than a few hours, so why does HBO think their programming can be kept in a can for more than 6 months? Cable TV is the McDonalds of entertainment.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

qdemn7 to jebba2005

Premium Member

to jebba2005

said by jebba2005:

Are bar owners charged per person or something ridiculous like that? I seem to remeber when Tyson was in his prime, this was the issue for all his ppv fights.
I think they're charged by the maximum number of people allowed by the Fire Dept. Ot maybe not.
nozzer
join:2004-06-25
Winchester, MA

nozzer to jebba2005

to jebba2005
Certainly for big soccer events carried only on Setanta PPV (e.g. some of the world cup qualifiers), Setanta pays an agent to stand at the door and take $25 off everyone entering the bars showing the game!! This is the same price you pay to watch the game in your house on PPV.

noz

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

2 recommendations

Transmaster to jjoshua

to jjoshua

I can see this happening

MPAA has launched a massive lawsuit against all manufactures of coaxial cable. In this law suit the MPAA contends companies such as Belden are encouraging rebroadcasting of copyrighted content because of their encouragement of sales of coaxial cable to consumers. Debbie Dumasaposta spokes person for the MPAA complains it is a copyright infringement to use coaxial cable to rebroadcast a program to another television in a the house without paying for it.

Toadman
Hypnotoad
join:2001-11-28
Mystery

Toadman to pabster

to pabster

I agree, HBO and most of these "upper Tier" providers need to rethink their approach.
I would be more likely to subscribe back to HBO if they offered one channel streaming on line. Then when I am at a hotel in Taiwan, I could watch HBO there. Makes more sense to me.
apollo80
join:2002-01-31
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

apollo80 to Transmaster

to Transmaster

Re: I can see this happening

As silly and far fetched as your joke is...it will only be a matter of time before thinking like this actually happens. Ah, the irony of truth...
Techman21
join:2005-04-14
Richmond, VA

Techman21

This is all easily solved by one word:

...greed.

This country has slipped into it so much that our laws aren't even for the people anymore. Many laws are passed for big business...what we need is reformation both in the legal system AND in government. We need to clean house and start anew...but I already know this will never happen...its seen in history...the wealthy gain power keep it then are overthrown by the upset masses....Rome fell, who says the US won't? Its part of the cycle of things. But by that time I'll be long dead.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ricep5

Premium Member

to ricep5

Re: Ramblings from a dinosaur

quote:
They can't compete there because current technology trumps captive programming
They can compete there, because they can offer uncensored shows. The Sopranos wouldn't really fly on network TV. Even shows like Six Feet Under which could technically work on network TV are just so much better with "natural" swearing and nudity instead of the stifled stuff we get on primteime networks.

Having Video On Demand really makes the premium networks shine. Unlesss you want shows in HD, you don't even need a DVR. If they could get HBO HD content in VOD it would rock. I can honestly say that VOD has finally made premiums worth the monthly price. We really use HBO a lot that way.

-- Rob

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Transmaster to apollo80

to apollo80

said by apollo80:

As silly and far fetched as your joke is...it will only be a matter of time before thinking like this actually happens. Ah, the irony of truth...
I know it can happen. These clowns do not live on the same planet we do.

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3 to Techman21

Premium Member

to Techman21

Re: This is all easily solved by one word:

said by Techman21:

...greed.

This country has slipped into it so much that our laws aren't even for the people anymore. Many laws are passed for big business...what we need is reformation both in the legal system AND in government. We need to clean house and start anew...but I already know this will never happen...its seen in history...the wealthy gain power keep it then are overthrown by the upset masses....Rome fell, who says the US won't? Its part of the cycle of things. But by that time I'll be long dead.
BINGO!! History is full of sagas like this. All the great nations of history past slipped into decadence, where wealth and possessions ruled. They all passed away and I see America headed down that same path.Will we ever learn from our past?
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to apollo80

to apollo80

The RIAA already gets royalties on blank music CDs.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

N10Cities to CSU

Premium Member

to CSU

Re: Stop fighting technology!

said by CSU:

AND possible competition.... Here is a quote from the last paragraphs of TFA....

"HBO's Zitter noted that Sling is not the only company doing time-shifting and place-shifting of video content.

Zitter says HBO has an exclusive mobile distribution deal with Cingular Wireless LLC and also distributes its content to cell phones in nine countries outside the U.S. "

Sounds like HBO doesn't want any competition in the place-shifting field and will litigate any competitors out of the market.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to lordfly

MVM

to lordfly

Re: How would they know?

Windows MCE! My freakin VAIO! All kinds of different solutions out there... I think even ATI has a capture card that can do it... ONOES!!!1
denzilla74
join:2005-11-02
Anderson, SC

denzilla74

Can we have nothing ?!!

I knew this would happen the day I read about Slingbox. Its just to nice a product for a greedy corp not to screw up. Pfft....

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Transmaster to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

The RIAA already gets royalties on blank music CDs.
which you can avoid by purchasing CD that are for data. There is no difference except for the packaging which is another illustration of just how stupid these RIAA types think we are.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Transmaster

MVM

to Transmaster
They going to come after my wireless router too?
I can slam HDTV to #2laptop anywhere in or around the house at ~22mbps. Plenty of speed for HDTV, or anything else I wish.

Since laptop #1 has Media Server software on it... are the asswipes coming after me?
With a little creative compression, buffering, and my 768k upload... I can send programming anywhere.

As soon(if ever) ISPs start delivering more horsepower, the xxAAs are a memory!
page: 1 · 2 · next