dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-07-18 15:36:32: Utah's UTOPIA municipal fiber project is the largest in the country, serving more than a dozen cities with fiber, much to the dismay of incumbents Qwest and Comcast. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to Eric Martin

to Eric Martin

Re: I have Mstarmetro and haven't noticed any caps

Did you read their website?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to firephoto

MVM

to firephoto

Re: The government should take it over.

He speaks of monopolies and competition, I'll ask again - where is the competition?

competition

The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
A test of skill or ability; a contest: a skating competition.
Rivalry between two or more businesses striving for the same customer or market.
A competitor: The competition has cornered the market.

Even if it is a co op or publicly owned... no competition, right?

Utilities usually dont have competition, it's either xx brand or nothing. THAT is a monopoly!
dadkins

dadkins to EUS

MVM

to EUS

Re: Gimme!

said by EUS:

15 up? 100gig cap?
I'd take it in a heartbeat.
DAMN Straight!

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

said by dadkins:
said by EUS:

15 up? 100gig cap?
DAMN Straight!
DAMN Straight! x2
bbenso1
join:2004-11-28
Baltimore, MD

bbenso1 to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Re: Are people really shocked?

said by wifi4milez:

The OTHER business's that offer services on Utopia's network are (get ready).....also in the business of making money!! That means that THEY would have to pay extra for Joe User eating up the bandwidth that THEY paid for. Still not make sense to you guys??
Yes, they're in the business of making money. However, the big difference here is that they are all using the network provided by UTOPIA. Which means that instead of getting 6M/384k connection from Comcast (or whoever) for $50/month with caps and no other alternative these people are getting SYMMETRICAL, MULTI-MEG connections for $40/month and the option of switching to another provider if the service they're getting doesn't meet their needs.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind a cap of 100Gig/month if I could get a symmetrical, multi-meg connection. The 6Meg download speeds I've got do a decent enough job, it's the increased upload speed I want. Not to mention the option to go with another provider since my Comcast connection has been out for over a week with no resolution and I can't get a connection from anyone else. No, satellite is not an option for me as there are trees which don't belong to me blocking the skyline exposure that I need.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Even if it is a co op or publicly owned... no competition, right?

Utilities usually dont have competition, it's either xx brand or nothing. THAT is a monopoly!
Right but the monopoly has gov't regulations that prevent it from profiting just to profit. Any profit is just necessary for infrastructure build out or upgrades, nothing gets pocketed it's all folds back into next years budgets or reserves and any repeating excess usually gets turned into lower rates for the service provided which is the way of balancing out the budget.

It's not a perfect world but it's many times more beneficial to the consumer than corporate and large business offerings.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

1 recommendation

Ahrenl to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Actually, you sounded incredibly ignorant. The point you also missed of why Utopia is the next sliced bread is that multiple companies offer service (which is called competition) across the Utopia network, and the users may choose which ISP to use.

So if your ISP is throttling you, choose another, or, gasp, you can start your own ISP without being subjected to anti-competitive duopoly tactics, or "building your own".

Not to mention, 100gb's a month is hardly a restrictive cap. That can easily be described as "commercial" use.
Ahrenl

1 recommendation

Ahrenl to dadkins

to dadkins

The competition is between the service providers. The infrastructure owner is NOT is competition, because there is no way for a fair market to exist if they were.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to firephoto

MVM

to firephoto
Government? Not pocketing? Where do you live my friend?

Even in the Free market, the Gov is lining their pockets. What makes you think that they wouldn't if they were running it?

You are right about one thing... this is not a perfect world - from any angle.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4 to MSauk

to MSauk

Yes and once fios gets popular and all the major cities and condos,high rises ect have it they will do the same.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Let me know when FiOS goes symmetrical at 15/15 for $40 per month!

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

I'd need a tad bit higher cap
said by dadkins:
said by EUS:

15 up? 100gig cap?
DAMN Straight!
I'd love the 15/15 but 100GB just won't quite cut it..

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Even in the Free market, the Gov is lining their pockets. What makes you think that they wouldn't if they were running it?
Of course they are, but guess what? who cares, because this a specific service oriented part of the gov't. They provide a service and get paid for that service and take that money in order to provide that service, nothing else. so this big bad gov't giving you a service (power, water, sewer, internet, or whatever) has lots of money in it's pocket to give you more of that service. how terrible!

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to pokesph

to pokesph

Whatever.. webhog!
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to netwire

to netwire

Re: :p

100 gigs is incredibly low. It should be at least 200.

I can easily use over 100 GB a month and I'm on a 4 Mbps connection...

45612019 (banned) to pokesph

to pokesph

100 GB is pathetic. It should be at least 200 GB a month...

ftthz
If love can kill hate can also save
join:2005-10-17

ftthz

100gb is nothing

100gb i hit that on 1.5mbits dsl ~.~ so would hit that cap even faster with 15/15mbit

GetAClueDude
@cox.net

GetAClueDude to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5

And as customers, we are suppose to take as much as we can, bringing that profitability as close to zero as possible.
GetAClueDude

GetAClueDude to wifi4milez

Anon

to wifi4milez
As long as those limitations are clearly spelled out and are fairly reasonable, there really isn't a reason to complain. 100GB is a tab bit low for a 15Mbps product, but its much better than, say 30 or 60GB. 150GB would be a slightly more reasonable number.

As for getting a business product, why should a home user have to get a business product for home use ? If a provider advertises an unlimited product for home use, it should be prepared to offer an unlimited product for home use.
GetAClueDude

GetAClueDude to RayW

Anon

to RayW

Re: Honestly

Can't understand why you deserve business class service at peon rates.
Since when is an uncapped, unlimited service considered business class ? If a provider says unlimited, they need to be prepared for users to take that at face value and use bandwidth as they see fit. Otherwise they need to slap the business school morons and tell them to quit using unlimited in the advertising material if the technology can't support it.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to wifi4milez

MVM

to wifi4milez

quote:
100 gigs is more than ANY Residential ISP caps TODAY for the price and speed.
For that price and speed yes, but its not the highest CAP. Comcast won't even notice you until you start reaching 250-300Gigs a month. Qwest won't say anything at all, I don't even think they have CAPS. I've seen some users on Qwest do over 350Gig/month (on the 7Mbps/896Kbps plan of course). Its ridiculous of how low that cap is, esp for having 15Mb/sec SYMMETRICAL speed. That's like buying the top end Alien ware to use it for word processing. Oh well, not much we can do about it except not get the service.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Ahrenl

to Ahrenl
Do you get it now wifi4milez?

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2 to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto

Sounds more like non-profit organization and not a C-corporation for profit.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

It's the Tubs stupid.

It's the massive tangle of Tubes that is getting in the way of my internets.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to chemaupr

Premium Member

to chemaupr

said by chemaupr:

100 gigs is more than ANY Residential ISP caps TODAY for the price and speed.
and you know this how? I think you should do a little more homework there...

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to Ahrenl

to Ahrenl
said by Ahrenl:

Actually, you sounded incredibly ignorant. The point you also missed of why Utopia is the next sliced bread is that multiple companies offer service (which is called competition) across the Utopia network, and the users may choose which ISP to use.
Hmmm.....And my comment about how a business exists to make money is related to your "comment" how?
said by Ahrenl:

So if your ISP is throttling you, choose another, or, gasp, you can start your own ISP without being subjected to anti-competitive duopoly tactics, or "building your own".

Not to mention, 100gb's a month is hardly a restrictive cap. That can easily be described as "commercial" use.
Ok well lets once AGAIN go back to my original post for a quick lesson. Given that all business's exist to make money, those that chose to offer crappy service, low caps, etc. will be the ones that have to close their doors when enough customers leave! So basically, all these responses actually back up my original post. I am still not sure where this whole "other competition" thing came into the mix, but you cant win them all.

(One last time!)For those who STILL dont see the coorleation between my orignal quote and what is being discussed now please see below, then ponder, then re-read.
said by wifi4milez:

They will ALL do whatever it takes to maximize profit while minimizing customer churn.

Do you guys get it now???

dcshobby
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
Rochester, MN

dcshobby

Premium Member

AT&T through Utopia... No CAP

AT&T offers ISP service through Utopia fiber. I heard that if you get AT&T as your ISP, there is no cap and it is truly unlimited. Here is the link:

»www.usa.att.com/fiber/index.jsp

I doubt that AT&T would cap their connection at all. And you get to ride over AT&T's backbone which is pretty good.
iotastorm
join:2006-01-24
Florissant, MO

iotastorm to WirelessMajr

to WirelessMajr

Re: Honestly

Hmm.. wonder what the bandwidth cap will be when you get 3 TV's with 3 channels of HI-DEF (1 for each TV) plus the Internet and/or VOIP....

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to dcshobby

Premium Member

to dcshobby

Re: AT&T through Utopia... No CAP

said by dcshobby:

AT&T offers ISP service through Utopia fiber. I heard that if you get AT&T as your ISP, there is no cap and it is truly unlimited. Here is the link:

»www.usa.att.com/fiber/index.jsp

I doubt that AT&T would cap their connection at all. And you get to ride over AT&T's backbone which is pretty good.
Now that is what I call, "If you can't beat them, join them."
batterup

batterup

Premium Member

This Must Be Stopped

The UTOPIA Community Metronet prioritizes voice data so that it takes precedence over standard data transmissions.

NET NEUTRALITY.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next