dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2006-09-23 11:01:20: A recent study proclaimed that incumbent VoIP offered better call quality than the PSTN, though the study was conducted by an incumbent cable VoIP hardware maker. ..

HyPeRbAnD
join:2006-01-07
Stow, MA

HyPeRbAnD

Analog vs Digital

Digital should clear because noise is not a factor with static, but if the noise is real bad then call drops out.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 edit

Sly

Premium Member

It has more to do with the fact that digital data is not affected by RF interference and ground noise. I have used VoIP since November of 2003 after ditching my PSTN Sprint line. The sound is definitely better with VoIP. It is louder, clearer and has no background noise like my Sprint line did.

Also don't confuse digital phone with VoIP. They are not the same. Digital phone does not travel through the internet but through a dedicated cable network. It is not nearly as versatile as VoIP in that you can not take your number with you and often, is not any cheaper than regular PSTN phones. I still prefer VoIP over them all.
HyPeRbAnD
Stow, MA

1 recommendation

HyPeRbAnD

Yes I am aware the Cable VoIP uses their private network even in some cases a seperate CMTS. What I am saying is they are using a digital modulation to transport the signal between headend and CPE. Thats one reason it is much clearer.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Pots most dangerous competitor appears to be cable companies

Well, from this study, it looks like the incumbent telcos greatest danger is the rapid growth of cable companies offering voice as a 3rd part of their triple play. And if reports like this reach the mainstream press, the cable company growth in voice will only accelerate.

Trinijoy
Premium Member
join:2005-09-12
Brick, NJ

Trinijoy

Premium Member

Yup

Proivding really that your internet connection doesn't suck. Some people don't understand this so people who review some VOIP companies are jaded reviews since they don't know it could be actually an issue with the CABLe/DSL/TI/OCZ line.

MrChupacabra
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Florida

1 recommendation

MrChupacabra

Premium Member

Yeah, its always the provider and not that people put crap equipment on their hsi lines. Or that it goes over public Internet so if there is a hiccup outside of the provider the reception goes to crap.

Yeah it is always the cable/dls/T1/OCZ line they're using.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly

Re: Analog vs Digital

said by Sly:

It is not nearly as versatile as VoIP in that you can not take your number with you
This is incorrect. I took my Bellsouth POTS number to Time Warner Digital Phone, then to Vonage and then to Nuvio.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to HyPeRbAnD

to HyPeRbAnD
yup - carrier grade VoIP (Cable) vs. a more 'open' style of VoIP such as Vonage/Packet 8 which uses the public Internet vs. a dedicated private network. I thought about switching, but cost has still been an issue... Cable VoIP such as what TimeWarner or Comcast sells is actually as expensive as my POTS.

AT&T Unlimited local + LD + 3 features = $39.99/month + $4.99 for Canada
TW = $45.99 / month

DSL = $30/month (dsl extreme) for 3/512
TW = $45.99/month for 5/384

DirecTv = $47.95 + $5 + $5 for 3 tuners (digital plus)
TW = $45 + $5 + $5 + franchise fees

basically, I'm saving about $15/month on POTS

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 edit

Sly to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by Sly:

It is not nearly as versatile as VoIP in that you can not take your number with you
This is incorrect. I took my Bellsouth POTS number to Time Warner Digital Phone, then to Vonage and then to Nuvio.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about taking your phone with you... (sorry I see where the confusion came from). In this case I'm not talking about number porting...

With Packet8 I can take my broadband adapter anywhere in the world (as long as the ports aren't blocked) and plug the box into the internet and have the same phone. I can go on vacation to Taiwan and take my box with me, plug it in and still have the same Tennessee phone number while in Taiwan. You can not do that with digital voice.
LostMile
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

LostMile

Premium Member

Location, location, location!

If you live on the wrong side of the telco red line, as I do, your telco's plant might be neglected and sorely in need of an upgrade and/or repairs. For example, whenever it rains my wife's AT&T POTS line develops a loud buzzing. If it rains for an extended period the line will go out entirely.

To contrast, Comcast upgraded the local cable infrastructure so third-party VoIP over their cable works great, regardless of the weather.

FWIW, if we had an emergency right now we'd have to use the VoIP line or our cell phones to dial 911. It's raining again and our POTS is out.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

what happens when you call and tell them this?

Q
@rogers.com

Q

Anon

re pots and rain

usally when it rains the cable pair is exposed and shorting out, gee why not get a tech out there to change the cable pair? or run anew drop etc..
LostMile
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

LostMile to JammerMan79

Premium Member

to JammerMan79

Re: Location, location, location!

I was going to call AT&T Repair but I'd have to take off work which seems silly to me since the problem is not on my side of the NID. Anyway, Comcast's Digital Voice will be available here shortly so we're going to port the number over to Comcast.
HyPeRbAnD
Stow, MA

HyPeRbAnD to en102

to en102

Re: Analog vs Digital

I actually use Vonage, because Verizon where I live is is $53 a month. I had to have call anywhere in my area code, without that feature I had to pay long distance just to call my friends 3 towns over.

Comcast digital voice is 39.99 non bundled, even though I have HD Digital and Internet they would not give me the 99.99 deal because I already subscribed to the other services before this new package was offered.
Expand your moderator at work